Start by marking “A Very Big Bunny” as Want to Read:
A Very Big Bunny

A Very Big Bunny

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  29 reviews
AMELIA IS A VERY BIG BUNNY. At recess, the other bunnies tell her that her feet are too long for hopscotch, they say she’s too tall to jump rope, and of course, no one will get on the seesaw with her. Amelia is a very big and lonely
bunny. But when a new very small bunny named Susannah arrives in the classroom, something amazing happens. Readers will delight as they watch A
Published March 2nd 2011 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Very Big Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Big Bunny

Jamie
Amelia is a very big bunny. She does not fit in with her classmates at school, and she always stands out. Susannah is a very small bunny. She gets ignored by her classmates and does not quite fit in. Finally, Amelia and Susannah team up and become proud of themselves and become friends.
The illustrations for this book are done in gouache, a special watercolor technique. The bunnies in the book have beady little eyes and long legs, but are very cute. Children will enjoy the fact that all of the bu
Tasha
Amelia is a very big bunny, the largest bunny in her class. She stands out in a crowd, but wishes that she was a more normal size. At recess, no one will play with her because she is too tall for jump rope, her feet are too big for hopscotch, and she is too heavy for the seesaw to work. So she spends recess standing at the edge of the playground, listening to the wind and watching the clouds. When Susannah joins their class, she is the smallest bunny. The children won’t play with her at recess e ...more
Heidi
Good story with a lesson to be had. Sad that Amelia took so long to be Susannah's friend. You'd think she would have learned from her own treatment. Otherwise, the book is good. Just not what I'm looking for in my bunny theme storytime. Could work at another time.

(Love the last names!)

10/16/13: I tried this in my Friends theme. The book was a little longer than I like to do, but I had a smaller crowd and on the older side of Preschool so they handled it fairly well. A few things they didn't get
Diana Hanke
This book conveys the feelings of someone "different". Amelia is a very big bunny. Because of that she is always last in line at school because it is arranged by size, she is too big to jump rope or play on the teeter totter. Instead she keeps to herself and creates her own games and activities. One day, a very small bunny, Susannah, comes to school. She experiences the same things as Amelia, but her attempts to befriend Amelia meets resistance. Finally they come together to create a very specia ...more
The Book Box
I loved the bunnies on these pages! I kept grabbing at them so much, it took a lot time for Mama to read the story to me.
Mckinley
I didn't think this was very well done. I get the size thing but found the middle part was odd.
Melanie
Amelia is a very large bunny and she doesn't like it at all. She does not like being stuck at the end of the line all of the time because her teacher lines children up by height. She does not like being to big for the jump rope, hop scotch and see saw. Then little itty-bitty Susannah shows up and is the tiniest bunny in class. Amelia doesn't take to Susannah right away. But when Susannah comes up with a great idea for picture day, Amelia realizes that size isn't everything. It usually doesn't ev ...more
Gwen the Librarian
Amelia is bigger than all the other bunnies in her class and they won't play with her. When a new bunny comes to school, she is smaller than all the other bunnies and they won't play with her either. Soon the biggest and littlest in the class find common ground and friendship. It's unusual to find a story for kids who are just bigger than others and this one is perfect - the issue is just a fact and the resolution is realistic. I love the colorful bunny gouche illustrations.
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
Big bunny is disliked for being big. Small bunny comes along. No one likes small bunny either. Small bunny tries to befriend big bunny. Big bunny's having none of it because it's feeling huge beside small bunny. Small bunny is relentless. Big bunny is bored one day and gives in. They're friends. The end. It wasn't the worst but I didn't enjoy anything about it and my three year old wasn't much interested either. Not something we'll read again.
Judi Paradis
A very tall and very small bunny join forces when they discover that they have more in common with one another than with the other bunnies in their class. Once they are friends together, it doesn't matter if the other bunnies exclude them. This book makes a good point in a cute and fun way--nice choice for kids in grades K-2.
Alysia Adams
Title: A Very Big Bunny
Author: Marisabina Russo
Publisher: Schwartz & Wade
Date: January 2010
Genre: Diversity/Friendship
Strength/Aspect of Special Interest: This compassionate picture book shows young readers that it is okay to not fit into the norms. It also teaches the power of encouragement in a friendship.
The Library Lady
There's clearly a lesson spelled out here. But it's done subtly enough. Amelia feels very real. She is lonely & left out, but she doesn't automatically jump to make friends with a new girl who is equally ostracized. She has to warm up to the relationship, and as a result the happy ending feels very real too!
Amanda
The illustrations on this one are very nice and I think would appeal to most kids. The story wasn't quite as inspiring as I'd hoped since the Very Big Bunny didn't seem to be very tolerant of the Very Small Bunny until the very end of the book.
Tricia
Amelia, a big bunny who stands out from her classmates for her size, is lonely. When a new student arrives in class who is very small they can't find a common ground. Or can they? This one had its moments but overall underwhelming.
Kristin
Super cute, and I love that I got it from the library on my Kindle. It's a great story about feeling self-conscious around others and learning how to be okay on your own. I wish I had big bunny ears for listening to the wind.
K.A. Okagaki
Just the picture book for the very young child who feels left out at school because she is too big (or too small.) A really heart-felt story about friendship with a wallop of emotional impact at the end.
Rebecca
If you've ever felt like you didn't fit in, and/or you like adorable bunnies, this book is for you. Wonderfully written and illustrated, with lots of excellent design decisions in the visual storytelling.
Katey
What I like about this book is that they realize that they can be friends even though they are different. They learn to embrace their differences and that they are both special in their own way.
Melissa
Nicely done, even though all I could think of while I was reading this was, "Hey, this is Chrysanthemum." I really enjoyed Susannah's persistance in the whole making-friends process.
Kim Miller
This is a good book about bullying. There are all kinds of ways to bully kids, and i like that this book has two characters bonding over their mutual exclusion.
Beth
Even though Emelia is the largest bunny and Susannah is the smallest, they find out that they have a lot in common and become friends.
Kim
okay story about friendship, a little forced, cute illustrations

themes: bunnies, looking different, making friends, school
Bisma Kureshy
PB-43
A very nice story about being yourself and being comfortable with who you are a person. Recommemded for kids of all ages!
Peacegal
Aww! Such a sweet book about how even a very big bunny and a very small bunny can be best of friends.
Alicia
A very big bunny and a very small bunny become the very best of friends.
Anne
A great story. I think my daughter will really relate to this.
Julie
I love this book! A beautiful story about friendship.
Sofia
I liked when they put jewelry on for picture day.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II The Bunnies Are Not In Their Beds Always Remember Me: How One Family Survived World War II Sophie Sleeps Over Little Bird Takes a Bath