One White Rose (Rose #3)

One White Rose (Claybornes' Brides (Rose Hill) #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  3,078 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Douglas Clayborne will never turn his back on anyone in need, and everyone in Blue Belle knows it. Time and again, his intolerance of cruelty of any kind has made him a champion of the defenseless ... but his quiet strength faces its ultimate battle when he meets Isabel Grant. He arrives at her ranch to pick up the magnificent Arabian stallion he's purchased, but he cannot...more
Mass Market Paperback, 150 pages
Published December 31st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1997)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Another sweet story from Julie Garwood.

I really like Douglas Clayborne. He seemed to be less of a presence in For the Roses and One Pink Rose, so it was a real pleasure getting to know him in this story.

Isabel Grant is a likable character and had many trials to overcome. She and Douglas work together, learn to compromise and everything turns out just fine.

(view spoiler)...more
Arch
Jasmin
Aug 07, 2010 Jasmin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a short but sweet read
128 pages. The book is short. I read it in a short span of time. But in that short time, this short book never failed to amaze, frustrate and amaze me again.

The book, despite being short, it did not have any shortcomings for me. It was perfect the way it was. In fact, this is my favorite in the series.

This is Douglas Clayborne's story. After imminent danger of being shot by a woman who's almost going to deliver a child starts a short but touching love story. He went out of the way to claim an A...more
BJ Rose
I fell in love with the Claybournes the first time I read For the Roses. In that book, Douglas was the brother who first discovered the baby who was thrown in the refuse heap (she became their baby sister Mary Rose), so this role was perfect for him. He travels to a farm to collect the Arabian stallion he had purchased, but instead finds himself delivering the widow's baby during a rainstorm. Then of course he has to stay a while because the doctor says that the premature baby can't be moved fro...more
Janelle
I like this book a little more than One Pink Rose. This sweet romance started when Clayborne brother Douglas shows up to a ranch to collect an Arabian he has purchased from Parker Grant. He is greeted by an angry panting woman pointing a rifle at him in the middle of a thunder storm. He manages to grab the rifle from her and sees she's about to give birth. He learns Isabel Grant has been widowed and held hostage on her property by the vicious and dangerous rancher who not only wants her land but...more
Natalie
As I did with my review for One Pink Rose, I'm going to keep this review short and sweet.

I won’t bore with details of the story. In my opinion it's quite straightforward: The hero arrives unexpectedly at the heroine's to collect a horse he purchased from the heroine's late husband. Unbeknownst to the hero, he's just arrived at a good moment. The heroine is being threatened by a rich bully who has intimidated the entire town, cut the heroine off from supplies and people in an attempt to force her...more
ஐ Canan ஐ `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._
Ahh Douglas!! tüm şekerliğine rağmen,bazen cidden kalın kafalı olabiliyorsun.
Kitap yine kısa olması nedeniyle canımı sıktı, çünkü kısa kitap sevmem..Ama hikaye ve olaylar çok güzeldi.Yazar geniş bir çerçevede işleseydi çok daha hariha olacaktı. :)
Douglas satın aldığı atları eski sahibinden almak için düşmüştür yola, varmıştır bilinen istikametteki eve.Ama birde ne görsün, elinde silahıyla onu vurmaya niyetli bir kadın.Aldı mı başına belayı?
İsabel ise kocasını kaybetmiş, ve oldukça kasvetli, yağm...more
Jen Mays
Rating: 3.5 stars

Review: One of three novellas that came out on the heels of the successful novel For the Roses, these short stories help find love for the Clayborne brothers. Now that their baby sister is happily matched and married, the gruff former street urchins will find their own bits of softness in their harsh world.

The second of the trilogy is about Douglas, the former child thief all grown up and living in the west. When he arrives at the Grant farm to claim the stallion he'd purchased,...more
Andrea
Julie Garwood always excells on romantic and action content. She is incredibly talented and I admire her work ver much.
Douglas Clayborne was a luring character, and Isabel Grant had her own charm.
I really liked his protective personality, and the patience with which he proceded in the story. Not all males these days would take care of a woman and her child in need. He was ver honorable and that makes a perfect example to what a gentleman should be.
Even though Isabel was captivating, I wasn't t...more
Michelle Kelly
Was kinda torn between a 3.5 and a 4.

I really liked this tale. Isabel and Douglas were a great pair to read about.

Douglas stumbles across a very pregnant Isabel in her barn. In fact she almost shoots him. Luckily Douglas showed up when he did because it was that very night she delivers.

Looking back at Isabel's situation, I don't know exactly what she would have done if Douglas has not shown up when he did. She had no food in the house, she was caring fo...more
Jody
Jen
Next up on Mama Rose's matchmaking agenda is Douglas. When he goes to pick up a horse that he purchased from Parker Grant, he finds himself held at gunpoint by Isabel, Parker's very pregnant wife who is about to deliver their baby.

Douglas later learns that Parker is dead and Isabel is all alone and being terrorized by the local bully who is determined to marry her to get her land.

Douglas vows to stay around long enough to help Isabel recover and deal with Boyle, the bully. What he didn't bargain...more
Dora Okeyo
This is a very short read. At first I thought it would be like all romance stories, you know-boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, breaks her heart then leaves. It was, and to be honest that's how it goes. Romance stories are meant to make you swoon and wish there were people like that in real life and all that, this book will make you swoon not only at the man, but the lady, Isabel is strong and determined to take care of herself and her newborn son called Parker-after her late husband w...more
Artemiz
I love the Roses series, so sweet stories. And so short, they are more like short stories than novels.
They all have same storyline – one of the brothers, who does not want to get married and a damsel in distress, whom their mother Rose has somehow moved on their way. Usually the bride to be is also reluctant, and there is always some life threatening situation, and boys always go berserk when somebody threatens their woman, but the outcome is always the same – happily ever after.
I just got one...more
Zai
The plot isn't my cup of tea but it's better than One Pink Rose.
Lai Valenzuela
"ONE WHITE ROSE" is the story of Douglas Claybourne, the quiet brother. Douglas bought an Arabian horse six months prior, and finally has time to go collect the animal. When he arrives at the home of Parker Grant, he finds Isabel Grant, his wife, giving birth. Soon, Douglas discovers that Parker Grant has died, and Isabel is being harassed by the town bully. The ultimate reason for the harassment of the bully is a surprise, and I won't give it away here. I felt that Isabel and Douglas got to kno...more
Tasha
Trying to go back and pick up all the Garwood's I've missed. These are fun, quick reads. I've not read a bad Garwood yet, it's nice to know I can count on her for a good read. This is the story of Douglas Clyaborne who ends up helping an expectant and also recently widowed mother get through a really difficult time and bring her child into the world. They also happen to fall in love along the way which is always so fun to watch (read) whatever!
ErinReadsTooMuch
This one is more of a short novella, and the first of this series I have read. I like the time era and the description of the brothers, though, so I'll be going back to read more. Great short little story, wonderful Hero and Heroine, and the bad guy who gets his comeuppance. I wonder if they are ancestors at all of the infamous Noah Clayborne in the Buchanan series......
Kathy G.
This was a delightful story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was funny and sweet. Isabell is left alone on her ranch, ready to give birth and her husband has passed away. Boyle, an evil man who has taken over the town, wants her---- but is waiting until after the baby. By accident, Douglas comes along and he is thrown into being her protector. Great love story.
Pattianne
Jan 19, 2014 Pattianne marked it as to-read
1890's storyline
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
These Rose books are addictive. I read the first so of course I need to read the others. I find that I enjoy series where a secondary character becomes the main character in a following book. This one is focused Douglas Clayborne. Yum. Ms. Garwood is a good romance writer who I can trust giving me an enjoyable sweet romance.
Kelly
Had to re-read this one (it's been since the 90s when it came out) to see if it stood the test of time and it did more than that! I was once again glued to the story and cried at the end. Julie Garwood is one of the most fabulous romance writers of my time. I need to work at re-reading her whole collection.
Melanie
This was a quick read, but thoroughly enjoyable. Julie Garwood is a great author and knows how to tell a story, even when it's a short novel like this one. If you enjoyed For the Roses, you definitely have to read this to find out what happens to the other Clayborne brothers.
Diana
Douglas goes to pick up a purchased horse and runs into Isabelle, a pregnant widow being besieged by her husband's murderer.

This story fits much better into the novella. It's more complete and more engaging. Isabelle and Douglas are perfectly matched and have great dialogue.
Lena Donan
O poznanie lepšie spracovanie, ako druhý diel (u nás skoro novela). Výraznejší hrdinovia, lepšia zápletka a nielen kvôli tomu, že sa do cesty priplietlo aj dieťa :) Uveriteľnejší vývoj a spád. Kniha celkovo pripomínala western, ale to mi nevadilo.
Jeanie Jackson
Note: I seldom give 5 stars on Goodreads because I am comparing these books to the best I ever read. At other sites, rate just to how much I recommend a book. This is a 5 star recommendation.
Carmen
out of the romances from the four Clayborne brothers, this romance completely stole my heart. The plot is delicious, the ending almost unexpected and the story in itself charming and lovely.
Sharon
Julie Garwood is one of my guilty pleasures, and these stories of the Claybourne brides are fun little romps. Frothy little marriages of western and romance conventions. Very nice rainy day reads.
Mary
The story was sweet and the two characters matched each other well.
However I would like to have seen the development between them too outside of the situation they were forced into.
Kats Burn
Another easy read. Julie Garwood keeps my interest in this Roses series. I love the characters. She makes you feel like one of the family. I fell in love with the Claybornes.
  • Night Shadow (Night Trilogy, #2)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Eternity
  • Tender Is the Storm
  • Carried Away
  • Rebel (Florida Civil War, #3)
  • The Women of Primrose Creek (Includes: 1-4: Bridget/Christy/Skye/Megan) (Omnibus)
  • Twilight in Texas (The McLain Series 4)
  • Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Only, #6)
  • To Love a Stranger (Delaney Trilogy, #1)
Julie Murphy was born in 1946 in Kansas City, Missouri to a large Irish family. At the age of six, Julie had her tonsils removed and complications from the surgery resulted in a long period of recuperation. She fell hopelessly behind in school and never caught up. "I was a slow, slow reader," Julie says. "I hated it." At the age of 11, her mother discovered her daughter's secret and promptly enrol...more
More about Julie Garwood...
The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1) The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) Honor's Splendour The Prize Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2)

“Douglas: You really got to stop doing that.
Isabel: Doing what?
Douglas: Getting prettier everyday.”
9 likes