Start by marking “Eric Brighteyes” as Want to Read:
Eric Brighteyes
read book* *Different edition

Eric Brighteyes

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  18 reviews
pubOne.info present you this new edition. You have graciously conveyed to me the intelligence that during the weary weeks spent far from his home- in alternate hope and fear, in suffering and mortal trial- a Prince whose memory all men must reverence, the Emperor Frederick, found pleasure in the reading of my stories: that "they interested and fascinated him. "
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about Eric Brighteyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eric Brighteyes

Rod
★★★★½

This isn't the best modern pastiche of the Viking saga style that I've read (that would be Frans Gunnar Bengtsson's The Long Ships), but it's a very, very good one. Not being overly familiar with the original sagas, I can't speak to its accuracy, but it certainly feels authentic enough. You'll need to have a high tolerance for archaisms (thankfully, I do), as "thee"s and "thou"s abound. For some that may be a deal-breaker, but for me it just adds to the flavor. Haggard's intention was to em...more
Sylvester
Lots of prophesying going on in "Eric Brighteyes" - it seems almost any character is up to it - bad or good, dead or alive. So we know what's going to happen, and so do the protagonists (although they don't seem to make much effort to escape their fate). We may know what's going to happen, but not how, and this is what really matters. There's a lot of fighting and killing - the tragedy is right up there with Hamlet - hardly anyone left alive. I loved the part where Eric gets back from exile and...more
Cindy
Haggard's classic Viking romantic tragedy is one of the finest novels of its genre. It is a fast-paced story filled with all the great elements literature, including a hero often blind to those who betray him to his tragic end. Haggard's rich use of language makes the reader feel the frigid desperation of the a winter storm on the Northern Atlantic, the bloodlust of a desperate duel between two raging Viking warriors, as well as the fire of young love that leads the lovers to their doom. The mos...more
Jon Johnson
While I enjoyed this book greatly it could be difficult to read at points because it was written to mimic the style of the Icelandic oral tradition of storytelling. But it is well worth the effort.
Mike
H Rider Haggard -- best known for his adventure tales set in Africa, like "King Solomon's Mines" and "She" -- wrote one of, if not the first, modern English sagas in the Icelandic model. (William Morris' "House of the Wolfings" was published at about the same time, from I've read so far it also models itself on the Icelandic saga.)

Haggard wrote this shortly after a visit to Iceland, and he did his best to incorporate the best of the sagas -- poetic descriptions of landscapes, seascapes, and bat...more
Terry
Let me admit at the start that I've been on an Old Norse and Anglo Saxon kick lately. I picked up this book because it was mentioned in a recorded lecture by the Anglo Saxonist Dr. Drout. (This is not an easy book to find. I had to request it through interlibrary loan.) Apparently J.R.R. Tolkein - who was a professor of Anglo Saxon studies at Oxford - referred to this book as one of two that most influenced his ideas for Lord of the Rings. In this novel Haggard attempts to take the flavor of Old...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Apparently this was one of two books that Tolkien claimed as influencing The Lord of the Rings--and I can easily see that, as Haggard tries to create a work in the spirit, and somewhat in the style, of the old Norse legends. I'm not going to claim that Haggard even at his best is the same order of classic as the best by Charles Dickens, the Brontes, George Eliot or Thomas Hardy. But like fellow Victorians Arthur Conan Doyle or Robert Louis Stevenson or Rudyard Kipling, Haggard really could spin...more
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
Eric Ojos Brillantes narra la historia de Eric, un vikingo islandés que se enamora de Gudruga la Hermosa, hija de Asmund el patriarca local. La historia del héroe nórdico, se nos presenta al más puro estilo de las sagas de aventuras islandesas y es un compendio de luchas con espada, magia negra y largos viajes. Durante todo el libro, Eric, que desde joven ha sido marcado por el destino y por los dioses, se ve envuelto en una vorágine de fatalidades que parecen conducirle irremediablemente hacia...more
Tomek Piorkowski
''Eric Brighteyes'' is a fantasy tragedy set mostly in Iceland and its surroundings. The story revolves around a star-crossed love triangle between Eric, Gudrud, and Swanhild.

The language is written in what I like to call Epic English, with a lot of thees and thous, and it's done quiet well. If you ever read The Worm Ouroboros by ER Erikson, you'll feel that this is somewhat similar.

Despite the ending being revealed already in the beginning of the book with a prophecy, yet the way these characte...more
Sarah Sammis
I love the illustrations and the story might be interesting but I'm going to have to accept that I don't like Haggard's writing style. He tried too hard to make the story read like a classic Norse epic and the language comes off both repetitive and forced. If you want to read a good Norse epic, read Beowolf.

I do have to give the book a 5 out of 5 for Lancelot Speed's illustrations. I would love to see one of the original editions. Take for example: Publisher: London: Longmans, Green, and Co., Da...more
Kashfia Nehrin
I was just become so disturbed after reading this book, I still can not believe that this was written by Haggard who was, is and always will be my hero. It was so annoying and not that strong enough to grab the readers' attraction. As the plot was about the vikings it could be much more stunning but I don't know why Haggard has missed the opportunity here. I will strongly recommend others NOT to read the this Eric Brighteyes,it will certainly be pure wastage of time.
R.L. Robinson
Because the Icelandic saga represents one of the first instances of prose in Western literature, it provides us with a rich world that is now completely gone.
We still know very little about the origin of the original sagas and because of that, it ensures that it can't date.
As is the case with this example, written by one of my favourite authors.
It has everything.
Family feud. Dark sorcery. Intrigue and adventure.
This is the story of Eric Brighteyes, an Icelander, who attempts to win Gudruda the Fair despite the treachery and tragedy which is brought up against him. Its style was suprisingly authentic - the wording reminded me of other mythic stories I have read about the time period. Like 'Morning Star', also by Haggard, it had a good plot, but it had too many supernatural elements to suit my taste.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Rod

Gutenberg link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2721

DEDICATION
Madam,

You have graciously conveyed to me the intelligence that during the weary weeks spent far from his home—in alternate hope and fear, in suffering and mortal trial—a Prince whose memory all men must reverence, the Emperor Frederick, found pleasure in the reading of my stories: that "they interested and fascinated him."

While the world was watching daily at the bedside of your Majesty's Imperial husband, while many were endeavourin
Kami Li
pamiętaj mój złoty... kobiety to tylko kłopoty...
description
jack
this reads almost exactly like the traditional icelandic sagas (which are great!). it had more of a romantic slant to it, tho it did not detract from the feeling much.
Laurel
Not quite Quartermain, but very cool Viking saga style.
Alex

Couldn't get through it.
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Wade Corbeil
Wade Corbeil marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Lokatonias
Lokatonias marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Adam Bellinger
Adam Bellinger marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kaj Samuelsson
Kaj Samuelsson marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Anupama
Anupama is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • The Cloister and the Hearth
  • The Saga of Grettir the Strong
  • The Sea Road
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
  • The Nether World
  • The Long Ships
  • Sir Nigel
  • Men of Iron
  • The Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #1)
  • Kingmaker: Winter Pilgrims (Kingmaker, #1)
  • The Evil Genius
  • The Three of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1-3)
  • Far Away and Long Ago
  • Sartor Resartus
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She