Start by marking “Thou Shalt Kill” as Want to Read:
Thou Shalt Kill

Thou Shalt Kill (Franco Patrese #1)

Hardened Pittsburgh homicide detective, Franco Patrese, is a man who has lost his belief inhumanity, and the latest serial killer stalking his town on a mission to kill according to theten commandments isn’t quite restoring his faith. Patrese knows that this kind of vigilante justice is the most dangerous kind, and he's prepared to go into some dark places mentally and phy ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2009)

May 29, 2011 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
So I know it's a little weird and maybe even a little inappropriate to give a trashy genre fiction 5 stars, but hopefully I'll be able to get across why I think this book is 5 stars, and no it's not because in reality it's not trashy genre fiction, it is, it's a straight up police procedural, but I think it's one done exceedingly well at least from my stance as someone who avoids police procedurals because they seem stupid.

One of the strangest things about this book is actually the nature of th
William Bentrim
Aug 21, 2011 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-swap
Thou Shalt Kill by Daniel Blake

This is a complex and compelling murder mystery set in Pittsburgh, PA.

Growing up in western Pennsylvania, I found the setting for this story quite interesting. It is always fun to be able to picture exactly where the author is taking you. That is not to take away from Blake’s descriptions. He did a good job describing both the environment and the people. For Pittsburghers, the Steelers are not so much a sports team as a life style cult. I haven’t been in Pittsburg
May 30, 2012 Todd rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic police procedural with some good plot twists.
Bij een eerste boek van een onbekende auteur is hoop je natuurlijk te maken te hebben met een nieuwe ster. Door de aankondiging van Crimezone leek het me een boek dat de moeite waard kon zijn. En ik heb me weer laten foppen. Opnieuw heb ik moeten vaststellen dat ik echt geen aandacht moet schenken aan de achterflap. De opmerking "ben je op zoek naar een beetje Hannibal Lecter in Pittsburgh" schept verwachtingen. En die zijn in het geheel niet waargemaakt. Want het was zelfs geen beetje Hannibal ...more
Feb 13, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gifts, 2012
This book was well written and a very good read. I am a big fan of crime thrillers and I really liked the religious undertone of this one. This book detailed a number of plots which inevitably became linked towards the end. Although becuase of the number of plots and sub-plots there were quite a large number of characters and because of this it became hard to remember who was whom at times and what role they played in the story. Also the main plot took quite a while to get going but once it did ...more
Aug 28, 2014 Gatorman rated it liked it
This serial killer novel from "Blake" (pen name for Boris Starling, which is why I read it) is a tale of two halves. The first is a gripping, down and dirty serial killer thriller with real characters and a believable storyline. The second devolves into an over the top, implausible story where characters behave in unrealistic ways and the plot becomes convoluted with side issues. Always interesting, never boring and well-written from Starling (who write the masterful Messiah), it just got too si ...more
May 22, 2011 K L rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read in a long time. As with all detective stories, I was trying to figure out whodunit, and the author had me totally fooled. The biggest thing that kept me guessing was trying to figure out the motive for some of the murders. Turns out the perp is mentally ill. That's sort of a cop-out - mentally ill people will have motives that make no sense to anyone else. But wait! There's more! The perp was somebody who I thought it couldn't possibly be. I didn't really believe ...more
Apr 05, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Loved it. This book had quite a few twists. Too much going on and on about religions and such? Not from my point of view. It plays a big part in this book...mainly...the basis of the book. Without the religious aspect Mr. Blake would just have rewritten the same crime novel that's been written over and over again...enough to make you want to poke your own eyes out for reading it. The best part of the religious references and aspects of this book is .....TADA! The are factual! Educational religio ...more
Elly Van
Jul 09, 2013 Elly Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik heb Vermoorde Ziel gelezen voor het forum van Crimezone. Het eerste stuk is lastig om door heen te komen. Teveel verschillende verhaallijnen worden geïntroduceerd. Heb het boek ook even weg gelegd. Verder in het boek loopt het verhaal beter en wil je juist graag doorlezen, om te weten te komen wie de dader is. Het is een goed boek maar aan het eind lijkt het net of alle losse eindjes voor de ontknoping moeten zorgen. Soms teveel toeval en slecht recherchewerk. Maar over het algemeen toch een ...more
Beki Rush
May 29, 2013 Beki Rush rated it really liked it
This was a very good police procedural in the vein of Alex Cross. It set up one of the main characters for a series, which I always love. I like to follow the same characters through their lives. There were a few twists that were good. Having read so many of this style, I could predict the possible outcomes, but I wasn't 100% sure until the ending. While there was a large religious undertone, it wasn't the main point of the story and dealt with it realistically, like real people would in the rea ...more
Oct 04, 2010 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a long time to get into. I had to keep coming back to it and persevere with it. Once I was more than half way through I did start to enjoy it but I prefer to have my attention captured much quicker than this one did. The characters were pretty good once they were established in your mind as to who was who but up tothat point the story did jump around a little too much to be able to keep track.
John Hanscom
Mar 10, 2012 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book!!!!!!! Though not a "religious" book, seven (at least) of the characters are wrestling with issues of faith and religion, including the killer. It also has a sub-theme of religion's interaction with society, and vice versa, and all in the context of a good murder mystery, with an ending I did not foresee, though I have been reading mysteries since I started with "The Hardy Boys" as a kid. I recommend this to anyone who likes mysteries.
Linda Griffin
Jan 28, 2013 Linda Griffin rated it it was amazing
Wrote by an English writer who spent a short time in Pittsburgh and wrote a book about the area. Did a fantastic job. Full of suspense. A story about a detective and some strang murders which are hard to connect. The killer is a total surprise. I hope to read more of Daniel Blake's books or Boris Starling, his other name.
Melissa McGhee
I really wanted to love this book because I had read so many good reviews. The story is interesting, when you finally figure it out but I felt it bounced way too much with so many characters that I found myself flipping back to pages past because I was confused on who, what and where.

As always, recommended. Just because it wasn't my cup of tea doesn't mean someone else won't enjoy it.
Catherine Gordon
Aug 04, 2014 Catherine Gordon rated it liked it
Fast paced, well written thriller filled with red herrings. A serial killer who murders their victims in horrible ways, the police struggle to find a motive that connects them all, the clues are there. I always judge this genre by how easily I work out the ending, this was satifying because I really didn't see the ending coming. A well spent afternoon.
Jun 24, 2011 Thasc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A well paced story. However I found the constant religious references became very tedious after a while. I thought I'd worked out who the killer was quite early on in the book but it seems I was wrong I wasn't expecting a twist in the tale that revealed the killer to be somebody you would never have suspected.
Vera VB
Feb 01, 2016 Vera VB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pittsburgh, a surgeon, a priest and a judge are burned to dead. 2 detectives are looking for the murderer, but it's closer by then they think. To complicate things more, both have things to hide. There is also an ex-convicted hollywood actress who was sentenced for murder of her 3 babies. Enough stuff for a good story with an incredible end.
Ashley Davidson
Aug 09, 2014 Ashley Davidson rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I picked it up because I live in PA and enjoy visiting Pittsburgh, which is where this story takes place. There are many references to different landmarks and places in Pittsburgh throughout this book. Overall, I very good read. I loved both the main characters!
Mar 18, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
Definitely enjoyable. Had some surprising twists that I hadn’t expected. I think my favorite aspect of the story was all the religions represented and how they affected and drove the characters. Smarter than your average thriller.

Anyone know who Daniel Blake is a pseudonym for?
May 29, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
When I looked at the cover art, I wasn't sure this was my kind of book. But, I enjoyed it partly because it takes place in Pittsburgh and the city plays a large part throughout the book. I saw the ending coming a mile away.
The Good: Solid, enjoyable mystery. Very well paced.

The Bad: Too many and repetitive biblical references. Sloppy characterization. Also the narration in God mode makes the reader feel cheated when important (albeit highly predictable) twists are revealed.

Apr 02, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
I read the German edition "Sündenfeuer". Eine Story mit vielen Wendungen, aber wenig Überraschungen. Aktuelle religiöse und politische Themen wurden als Mordmotive hergenommen, aber manchmal einfach zuviel des Guten. Vieles klingt zu unglaubwürdig.
Apr 08, 2012 Marc rated it really liked it
This one grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go. The story was well laid out-the characters were not outlandish-the thrills were all good-the setting was unique(who would think to set a story in Pittsburgh?)-the reader did not feel cheated by the twists-the end felt right.
Feb 24, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good thriller with lots of twists and turns. A 4.5 really the only thing letting it down was the religous ramblings.
Sanjay Gopal
Apr 25, 2012 Sanjay Gopal rated it really liked it
The editor can do a better job of getting rid of repetition. Otherwise a decent read with the suspense carried through till the very end. Drags on a bit though at times.
Aug 27, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Big fan of this author. At one point it made me actually say "nut'uh" outloud with an unexpected twist. I can't wait for his next book.
Nov 17, 2011 Wayne rated it liked it
The story line was good but Blake seems to need to preach at length sometimes and provide extensive discussions on various religions.
Sarah Gough
Mar 29, 2015 Sarah Gough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Daniel Blake I've read.. Not a clue how this was going to end and could not stop reading! Loved it!
Mar 26, 2015 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the way this book was written. I did however have an inkling about the perpetrator before the end. Didn't spoil it though.
Jan 01, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Long book but really got rolling towards the end with lots of twists. I'll read him again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Shutter Man
  • Glashard (Jessica Haider #2)
  • Cel
  • Koude lente (Paul Vegter #2)
  • Death and the Courtesan
  • Ride the Lightning: A Crime Novel
  • Zwanenzang
  • The Fraud (Carter Ross, #6)
  • Once Burned (Jack McMorrow Mystery #10)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • A Little More Free (Eddie Dougherty Mystery #2)
  • The Squandered (Bruno Johnson)
  • Kill Fee (Stevens & Windermere, #3)
  • Zondaarskind
  • Anything but Civil (Hattie Davish Mystery, #2)
  • A White Arrest (Inspector Brant, #1)
  • Het laatste offer