Start by marking “Illegal Magic” as Want to Read:
Illegal Magic

Illegal Magic

What do you get when you mix magic & lawyers? More than you bargained for.

Lani's family has magic. Her friends have magic. Even the plants in her community are magical.

But Lani's powers never manifest, and she's tired of feeling like the odd one out. So she goes to law school and does her best to fit in with the non-magical world.

Too bad her first client is a geeky vam
Published (first published March 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Illegal Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illegal Magic

Sara Beaman
Aug 09, 2012 Sara Beaman rated it it was amazing
In spite of the fact that I rarely read romance and generally prefer my novels bleak and soul-sucking, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Illegal Magic, like its protagonist, is endearing and frequently hilarious. While its tone is lighthearted and often zany, Illegal Magic nevertheless has an interesting plot with mystery elements and twists that careful readers will really enjoy.
The premise is interesting--a girl from a wizarding family with no magical powers of her own trying to navigate the mun
Ann aka Iftcan
Dec 17, 2011 Ann aka Iftcan rated it really liked it
First book--and possibly first novel in a new UF-lite series. This book features Alann--aka Lani--Goldspell, the only non-magical person in her family--a family famous for its powerful magic. So Lani decides to just make the best of her life and go with a non-magic job--lawyer. In the first week, she meets a hot guy--who can't remember her name--has her first client--a truly geeky vampire, gets involved with a slum lord, who might possibly have an evil artifact and be sacrificing the residents o ...more
Cheryl M-M
Jul 01, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it
It is quite flighty and often it seems as if the author has more thoughts on a page than a bunny can shake its tail, but that I think was also the charm of it. With a little more depth and character development this could be a great little series.
The paradox of the main character being of course the fact that she has no magic and never will have any, but all things magical and supernatural seem to be drawn to her.
The chapter that explained the Council and the various job descriptions of said cou
Vicki Scullion
Jul 26, 2012 Vicki Scullion rated it liked it
A law office and magic are an unusual combination that works well in this novel. The characters are interesting, although the main character is a bit whiny at times. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book.
Phee
Dec 20, 2011 Phee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romantics
Very funny. I loved the idea of a refugee from the witchy world trying to make it in corporate legal America.
Gail
Jun 09, 2012 Gail rated it liked it
Fun and quirky. Nice, enjoyable, light read with a twist of a magical person trying to "pass" as non-magical. Cute
Cynthia
Jun 10, 2012 Cynthia rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Enthralling story - could use a little polish, but definitely worth the read.
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 24, 2012 Sadie Forsythe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Illegal Magic starts with a magical bash. Lani's family pulls out the works for a no-holds-bared party to celebrate her success at becoming a lawyer. Spells, mythical creatures and lost inhibitions abound. It was like Harry Potter on crack. There was a serious moment in which I paused and thought, "oh, this is gonna be BAD." Lucky, after the first chapter or so it settled down, though it still reminded me of a grown up Happy Potter. Lani's parents could easily have been Molly and Arthur Weasly. ...more
Melissa
Oct 15, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
It's definitely much better than some free e-books I've downloaded. This one is a charming story that features a funny heroine-- the unmagical Lani, member of a strong magical family in a very magical community. To say that Lani feels out of place in her magical world is an understatement, especially when she didn't manifest anything magical at all. She strives to have a life outside in the mundane world instead, and ends up finishing law school and being accepted at a law firm. It turns out thi ...more
C is for **censored**
May 28, 2012 C is for **censored** rated it really liked it

The star rating given reflects my opinion within ‘the official goodreads rating system’. (Notice the two important words... OPINION and RATING)

1 star: Didn’t Like it
2 stars: It’s Okay
3 stars: Liked it
4 stars: Really Liked it
5 stars: It Was Amazing

I don’t really give a rat-fuck that there are some who think I ‘owe’ an explanation for my opinion. Nope, nada, and not sorry about it.

Sometimes I may add notes to explain what my opinions are based on, and sometimes I don’t. I do this for me, on my boo
B.C. Deeks
This is a debut novel, but you wouldn't know it. The author has a solid handle on writing craft and a natural talent for storytelling. I loved it! The heroine, Lani, reminds me of a smart Stephanie Plum. In Illegal Magic, Lani has grown up in magical family but didn't inherit the magic gene herself. She's well adjusted, sort of, and has decided to join the mortal world and become a lawyer. Her magical friends and family aren't ready to leave her without support as she starts her new life so adap ...more
Rhonda
Jan 19, 2013 Rhonda rated it liked it
Good read but lacking depth in the character and the world building. I am still unsure how the magical community stays hidden if in fact they are. I am still confused on how they can be so clueless about the rest of the world, like Lani not recognizing a hearse when she buys one and yet going to college and becoming a lawyer, and yet still live in it and not be recognized as different.

It seems like they should be more to the book like how Lani came to be the only non-magical person in her famil
Melinda VanLone
Feb 26, 2013 Melinda VanLone rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! The part I loved most was the voice...the protagonist is a very real person in the midst of unreal situations, with a down to earth attitude about the whole thing. So glad I found this, because I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'll be doing a longer review, but if you're looking for urban fantasy (contemporary, magic mixed with modern type fantasy) that's also a cozy mystery (as opposed to blood, guts, gore, etc.) with a bit of snark, look no further. Refreshing voice, light re ...more
Kati Ber
Jul 10, 2012 Kati Ber rated it it was amazing
When I first started this book I was like "oh well... another of these typical books featuring a female heroine... " but when I continued reading, I soon was to find out, that Lani is SO not the typical heroine... and thats what made me like her!
And I want a second part!! Why is there no second Part? :(
Emma Bembridge
May 31, 2013 Emma Bembridge rated it it was ok
I purchased this hoping I would enjoy as much as Kati MacAlister's Aisling Grey series. Not even close. Not brilliantly written, the magic isn't well thought through, and disappointing ending - apparently all the protagonist needed was sex with the hero and everything would be OK. Disappointing, but quick to read.
Turtles
May 27, 2012 Turtles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-modern
This was a fun, quick read. I wished for a little more from Lani, not necessarily magic... but more gumption or more of an edge as the non-magical one in the story. The spacing of the intro/story/arc/ending were disproportionate and it made the story slow. Also, I'm totally confused whether the real world knows about magic!! Do they?
Marisa Valle
Mar 06, 2013 Marisa Valle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supes
There were a lot of interesting characters but Lani kind of got on my nerves. She's supposed to be this smart lawyer but she completely misses a lot of things and acts dumb frequently. I would have liked her to be a little less goofy. I think Fallion was interesting and I kind of hoped there would be more divulged about him but apparently there is no sequel so . . .
Wright Gres
Dec 19, 2011 Wright Gres rated it really liked it
ILLEGAL MAGIC was a fun read. Something a little different from my usual fare, but it was adventurous and light, humorous without being silly, and well-written. I think a little magic could do us all a little good. Thank you, Arlene Blakely.
Rebecca Coombs
Jul 25, 2012 Rebecca Coombs rated it really liked it
Really fun and flirty read. Will certainly be looking out for more from Arlene Blakely.
Etta
May 23, 2012 Etta rated it really liked it
Totally hilarious!
Marjie
Nov 19, 2014 Marjie rated it really liked it
Stretch of the imagination

Cute story with magical beings, one non-magical girl's story moving between the magical and non-magical communities. A few typos but not too bad.
Amy Sperry
Jul 13, 2012 Amy Sperry rated it really liked it
Great read. Fun fast read. Interesting characters. I can't wait to read more from this author.
Sheila Lord
Jul 24, 2013 Sheila Lord rated it it was amazing
Wasn't sure at first if I was gonna like it but I couldn't put it down it was magical and fun
Pamela
Feb 05, 2016 Pamela rated it it was ok
Just OK.
Kimm
Nov 12, 2011 Kimm rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
I was skeptical in the beginning, but warmed to the protagonist as the story unfolded. This story was hilariously brilliant. I hope more is on the way.
Kristina
Jun 10, 2012 Kristina rated it really liked it
It was a cute story, I'm looking forward to more by this author
Cynthia
Jun 05, 2011 Cynthia rated it liked it
This book was entertaining enough to finish but I'm tired of comedy that relies on the stupidity of the main character.
Rach3975
May 21, 2012 Rach3975 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it-kindle
The plot was good, but many of the secondary characters seemed like stereotypes or caricatures.
Leslie
Sep 09, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
Not a bad book at all. I hope there are more to come! There are a few storylines I would love to see resolved.
Callista Knight
Sep 23, 2012 Callista Knight rated it liked it
A very fun diversion. It was a fast read that flowed well and held the laws of it's own world. Looking forward to another distraction in this world.
  • Graves' End
  • The Rhine Maiden
  • Broken Heart Tails (Broken Heart, #10)
  • To Love a Witch (Novel Nibbles)
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • No Rest for the Wicca
  • Bemused
  • Dark Surrender
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #1)
  • Absolutely Captivated (Fates #5)
  • Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather, #1)
  • Eve of Destruction
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Nights of the Round Table and Other Stories of Heroic Fantasy
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • The Savage Blood (Savage, #2)
  • Throne of Oak (Maggie's Grove, #2)