Blank-133x176
Ruby The Red Fairy

Daisy Meadows

Ruby The Red Fairy (Rainbow Magic #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,449 ratings  ·  208 reviews
When Rachel and Kirsty arrive at Rainspell Island for vacation, they have no idea what kind of magical adventure awaits! The seven Rainbow Fairies have been banished from Fairyland by the wicked Jack Frost. If they don't return soon, Fairyland is doomed to be colorless and gray.
In the pot at the end of the rainbow, Rachel and Kirsty come across Ruby the Red Fairy. Can the...more
Published March 2003 by Orchard Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby The Red Fairy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby The Red Fairy

Elizabeth
Mara *loves* these books. They annoyed me so much I vented my spleen in an amazon review.

Basically, here are the things I don't like about the books.

1) The dialog, characters and plot are truly insipid. Here is a sample: "I'm Kirsty" said Kirsty. "I'm Rachael" said Rachael. Some of the plots make absolutely no sense.
2) The heroines (which I can't even keep straight) don't have any particularly admirable characteristics. There is little evidence of ANY of the following: bravery, thoughtfulness,...more
Max
This series is full of shit and endless lines of poo. I can't believe I used to read these- they are utter talentless and dull.
Ten words each page, and each books are about ten dollars each. There is no magic- the fairies are fake and its not magical enough- its like making fairies into a commercial way, trying to make them mixed in the human world, drinking tea and so. The fairies need to f*** off from the human world, and fly up in their bulky trees in the deserted country, or at least hide...more
Rebecca
This series has been a huge hit with my six-year-old cousin. She and her parents read every night and have read far into the double digits. Every time I see her she updates me on her new ‘fairies’ – she was very excited to tell my sister (Bethany) and I when she got Rebecca the Rock and Roll Fairy and Bethany the Ballet Fairy in the same set. She’s a very imaginative child and so her play has quickly come to centre on stories involving these characters and I finally had to read the books simply...more
Ruth
Jan 20, 2011 Ruth rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This is the stupidest series I have ever read. My daughter is five, and she was given the set by an eight-year-old friend. I was forced to read the whole series within a week.

There is absolutely no portrayal of how Rachel and Kirsty get to know each other--they just meet on the ferry and are instantly friends. I guess it's easy for them, since neither has any personality or even any distinguishing characteristics.

The language is so dull, dull, dull that I found myself livening it up with some...more
Julia Jasztal
...

(Mommy's review from 9/21/10)

This is a perfect book (and I'm going to assume series) for little girls. My daughter is just turned 5 years old and this is our third or fourth chapter book.
Most of the story she listens to while I'm reading but the text is simple enough that a child learning to read can help out with the story. Julia is able to pick out the words she knows and indentify with others that she's still learning.
I'd go ahead and check this out for yourself instead of going by any r...more
LIndsay
Having been forced to read about a hundred of these books (the same plot, characters, goodies and baddies but just different fairies each time), I must say that these booksa re drivel of the worst type. My 6 year old loves them as did my 10 year old when she was 5 or 6. What is the attraction? Is it the familiarity of the characters? Is it the fact that at bed time they can just lie there sleepily and not work too hard for the story becasue there is absolutely no plot once one has ready the firs...more
Irene
Mar 08, 2013 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls in Pre-K through 2nd Grade
Recommended to Irene by: Isabelle's 1st Grade Classmate
This book is only the first in the "Rainbow Magic" series, and it is pretty much just an introduction, setting up the characters and the story. Two girls, Rachel and Kirsty, meet on the ferry on their way to Rainspell Island, where they will be vacationing with their parents for a week. On the first day, they find Ruby the Red Fairy, and they get pulled into a fairy hunt that spans the rest of the series. Ruby has 6 sisters who also need to be found, and presumably, Rachel and Kirsty will find o...more
Holly Letson
This is where it all began. Before the music fairies, the fun day fairies, the dance fairies, and so many others, the Rainbow Fairies had to be found and carefully returned to Fairyland.
I wasn't as impressed with this book as the others I have read from later sets in this series, because it's too peaceful and there isn't as much plot as I'm used to. No battle. No confrontations. Just "You found me. Let me fill you in on the fact that you have to find my 6 sisters in the next 6 days.".
Furtherm...more
Celena
Whilst these books don't wow they are important in encouraging young readers to read. Pleasure is vital to the early experience of reading for children. Believe me when girls hear descriptions of wings and magic dust, rainbows and fairy fashion their imagination kicks into overdrive. They are great chapter books for those children reading for themselves. So, yes they are repetitive and there are so many in the series - the important thing is the joy of reading and to not abandon reading to your...more
Autumn
I remember how my best friend and I used to read this series like all the time
$hanel
I read this whole book series when I was in the fourth grade and I really liked them but many of my friends made fun of me for reading them which was just rude. Rachel and Kirsty arrive at RainSpell Island for their summer vacation and soon meet and become best friends. One ordinary day on the island Kirsty and Rachel find a pot that they think is full of gold and find Ruby the red fairy who has been swept away by Jack Frost and her sisters are somewhere else on the island. This book was really...more
Hannah
Ruby the Red Fairy is the first book in a series of 7 by Daisy Meadows. The book starts off by introducing the main characters, Kirsty and Rachel who meet on a ferry ride to Rainspell Island. They realize while talking that they are staying in cottages next door to one another so they will be able to play. Later, once they get to their cottages, they decide to go out to explore the beach. They set off to explore the beach but decide to follow the rainbow instead to see if there was a pot of gold...more
Wendi
I think these books all turn out to be the same story in the end, and I can only read so many series and then need a nice break from them, but my daughter LOVES the books, so I am fine reading them to her. They are magical, fun, and something a little girl would imagine doing. So no harm done. The first series seems original and fun, but after that it is the same thing over and over. I do like that there are so many fairy names with the books and I found one with my daughter's name and mine.
Mckayla
Clarissa
Okay... so I didn't really read this one. My 7-year-old read it to me. These series are pretty simple, but good for those just beyond beginning readers who are ready to tackle not-so-complicated chapter books. There is mild suspense and magical fairies... any little girl's idea of a literary feast, right? So far we've read 5 of them.
Susan Erhardt
My six-year-old and I have read the entire color fairy series. She adores them, so maybe I should give them more than two stars. They're incredibly similar to each other. Even my daughter asked, "Mom! Why do they say that in EVERY book?!?" about Jack Frost's motives. They're pretty mediocre -- and so far very non-multicultural.
Tanya
Rainbow magic is a great series for little girls, ages 5-8, I'm about 11 now, and I read these books ALOT when I was little! Ruby starts off the series. So people, please stop rating 1 star just because you are too big and think it's so boring, like legit, that isn't cool...
Diana Pettis
I can see why lots of girls in particular like this series. Not sure if I would use it in a guided reading group but could recommend as an independent reading book for girls.
Audrey
I remember these books from when I was younger and I think I actually read some of them, but I think that was because my sister used to be OBSESSED with them and I sometimes read books when she's not in her room because I'm curious to see what she reads. This series is about as basic as you can get. Each sub- series has 7 fairies in it around a theme. Jack Frost is the villain in every book and he takes the power of the fairies so the girls who are the main characters have to save them. I don't...more
Erin Harrington
This book was about fairies, and goblins. I think Book worm books should get some more of these books.
Larissa
Rachel Walker was on her way to Rainspell Island to spend a week's holiday with her parents. On the ferry Rachel meets Kirsty Tate, and the two quickly become friends.

Once on the island Rachel and Kirsty decide to explore, a rainbow that they spotted from the ferry that seems to end not too far away and the two friends set off to see if there really is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Rachel and Kirsty are surprised when they actually find a pot at the end of the rainbow, but were even mo...more
Caitriona
Good God, there are enough of these fairy books to keep your daughter entertained until she's in her twenties. I loved them as a very young child, but I get the vibe here that people really hate them. This might be due to my own nostalgia, but I think they're harmless enough for little kids. OK, they aren't Blyton or Dahl or King-Smith by any stretch of the imagination, but there's nothing especially wrong with them.

Fun fact: In addition to stealing bits from Jacqueline Wilson and Enid Blyton in...more
Haley
If I had reviewed this book, or their sequels (there are a lot of other Fairy series- like the Weather series, the Pet keepers series, etc.- by this author and I'll get to those later) when I first read them (when I was seven or eight) I might have given them four stars. But since I'm older now, I will only give them three stars. The premise is cute; two girls named Rachael and Kristy and their families are on vacation on this island. The two girls find a fairy named Ruby and Ruby tells them tha...more
Elaine
Cute story about little girls discovering that fairies do exist. if I were a little girl, I'd be mesmerized- how exciting to be part of a magical world of fairies! Erin rated is 4 stars. This book is just the first of the rainbow fairies series, so it's the first time they encounter a fairy, and discover a whole unknown world, so that part is exciting and kept Erin in suspense, wondering what they'd find next. I guess they'll discover one fairy in each of the next books. Timothy listened in and...more
Caitlin Splatt-Fuller
Ruby the Red Fairy is the first book in the Rainbow Magic series. It is about two girls named Rachel and Kirsty who are on a holiday at Rainspell Island when they see a rainbow which then leads them to the pot at the end-of-the-rainbow. At the pot they find Ruby and discover that the rest of her sisters Amber the Orange Fairy, Saffron the Yellow Fairy, Fern the Green Fairy, Sky the Blue Fairy, Izzy the Indigo Fairy and Heather the Violet Fairy are all lost somewhere on the Island. Their adventur...more
Yuka Honda
1. Ruby the Red Fairy

2. 7/11=40min,7/14=30min

3. rainbow,map,pot,fairy,gasped,magic,enjoy

4. I like this passage"I always believed in fairies." I hope there are many fairies in this world because when I'm worried about something, I would like to help them.

5. This book was very cute book and it was easy to read this book. They did many things in order to search for one fairy. After I read the book, I felt that I wanted to use a magic.
Dolly
Mar 01, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in the original Rainbow Magic series by the group of authors who go by the pseudonym Daisy Meadows. This series is the first of the many (about 125!) books in the Rainbow Magic series (yes, it confused me at first, too.) In any case, I'm not sure why we waited so long to read these original books, as now our oldest is finally reading about how Rachel and Kirsty got together with the fairies in the first place. Our oldest took a little break from fairies, but is getting int...more
Oliver Urban
I used to order these from the scholastic book orders in elementary school and I remember that they came with fairy figurines that you got to paint yourself. So cool.

Also, I think I remember generally enjoying them, even though they were kind of below me. I was more into books like Shiloh (yes, the dog one.) But these were cute.
Danielle Brill
Ruby the Red Fairy by Daisy Meadows is book for young readers about a girl named Rachel Walker who goes on a family vacation to Rainspell Island. While she is there she befriends another girl Kristy Tate, and together they discover a rainbow fairy named Ruby. Ruby enlists the girls to help rescue her sisters and return them to Fairyland. It is the first of the seven Rainbow magic books and and children must read all seven to find out what happens to the fairy sisters.

I think that this series is...more
Isabel
I liked it because she was named Ruby and the color of a ruby is red. And she was the red rainbow fairy. I think that's really cool.

My favorite part was when Ruby shrunk them down into fairy size and when she made her house with the pot.

My favorite character is Ruby.

THe setting was at the end of the rainbow.

The most exciting part was when Ruby got out of the pot that she was in and spread dust around the girls and then the girls turned into fairy sized and after that they went to Fairy Land.

The...more
Did anyone else absolutely loved the rainbow magic books/series when they were younger 11 23 Jun 20, 2014 01:56PM
Rainbow magic: Ruby the red fairy 2 12 Dec 20, 2013 08:09AM
  • Rani in the Mermaid Lagoon (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #5)
  • Princess Charlotte and the Birthday Ball (The Tiara Club, #1)
  • Beck Beyond the Sea (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #10)
  • In a Blink (Disney Fairies: Never Girls #1)
  • A Masterpiece for Bess (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #7)
  • Vidia and the Fairy Crown (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #2)
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • Lily's Pesky Plant (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #4)
  • Fira and the Full Moon (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #6)
  • Dreams Come True (My Secret Unicorn, #2)
  • Prilla and the Butterfly Lie (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #8)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy Sees the Future
  • Girls Don't Have Cooties
  • A New Beginning (Magic Puppy, 1)
  • Judy Moody Predicts the Future (Judy Moody, #4)
  • Scream for Ice Cream (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #2)
  • The Magic Key (Fairy Realm, #5)
  • Detective Camp (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #1)
Daisy Meadows is the pseudonym used for the four writers of the Rainbow Magic children's series: Narinder Dhami, Sue Bentley, Linda Chapman, and Sue Mongredien. Rainbow Magic features differing groups of fairies as main characters, including the Jewel fairies, Weather fairies, Pet fairies, Petal fairies, and Sporty fairies.

Narinder Dhami was born in Wolverhampton, England on November 15, 1958. Sh...more
More about Daisy Meadows...
Amber The Orange Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #2) Crystal The Snow Fairy (Rainbow Magic #8; Weather Fairies, #1) Fern The Green Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #4) Sunny The Yellow Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #3) Goldie The Sunshine Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #11; Weather Fairies, #4)