Start by marking “Ruby The Red Fairy (Rainbow Magic S.)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ruby The Red Fairy

Daisy Meadows

Ruby The Red Fairy (Rainbow Magic #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  3,452 Ratings  ·  268 Reviews
When Rachel and Kirsty arrive at Rainspell Island for vacation, they have no idea what kind of magical adventure awaits! The seven Rainbow Fairies have been banished from Fairyland by the wicked Jack Frost. If they don't return soon, Fairyland is doomed to be colorless and gray.
In the pot at the end of the rainbow, Rachel and Kirsty come across Ruby the Red Fairy. Can the
Published March 2003 by Orchard Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby The Red Fairy, please sign up.

Kerry A. Stead If your not sure if you like these books a lot, then maybe you should try the little house books! They are by Laura Ingalls Wilder and there about…moreIf your not sure if you like these books a lot, then maybe you should try the little house books! They are by Laura Ingalls Wilder and there about Laura Ingalls Wilder and her life in the late 1800's!(less)
Vickyish What? ...That's like asking 'how do you eat food'. Like Gracie says, you see characters on the page with your eyes. Your brain processes the groupings…moreWhat? ...That's like asking 'how do you eat food'. Like Gracie says, you see characters on the page with your eyes. Your brain processes the groupings of different characters as words, that create sentences, etc.

On the other hand, if you think you can read books on Goodreads, then you're unfortunately mistaken. Goodreads is just for finding/reviewing/sharing/keeping tracks of books.(less)

Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2008 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-to-mara, all
Mara *loves* these books. They annoyed me so much I vented my spleen in an amazon review.

Basically, here are the things I don't like about the books.

1) The dialog, characters and plot are truly insipid. Here is a sample: "I'm Kirsty" said Kirsty. "I'm Rachael" said Rachael. Some of the plots make absolutely no sense.
2) The heroines (which I can't even keep straight) don't have any particularly admirable characteristics. There is little evidence of ANY of the following: bravery, thoughtfulness,
Max
Oct 22, 2012 Max rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series is full of shit and endless lines of poo. I can't believe I used to read these- they are utter talentless and dull.
Ten words each page, and each books are about ten dollars each. There is no magic- the fairies are fake and its not magical enough- its like making fairies into a commercial way, trying to make them mixed in the human world, drinking tea and so. The fairies need to f*** off from the human world, and fly up in their bulky trees in the deserted country, or at least hide
Ruth
Jan 20, 2011 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This is the stupidest series I have ever read. My daughter is five, and she was given the set by an eight-year-old friend. I was forced to read the whole series within a week.

There is absolutely no portrayal of how Rachel and Kirsty get to know each other--they just meet on the ferry and are instantly friends. I guess it's easy for them, since neither has any personality or even any distinguishing characteristics.

The language is so dull, dull, dull that I found myself livening it up with some
Julia Jasztal
Nov 11, 2012 Julia Jasztal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...

(Mommy's review from 9/21/10)

This is a perfect book (and I'm going to assume series) for little girls. My daughter is just turned 5 years old and this is our third or fourth chapter book.
Most of the story she listens to while I'm reading but the text is simple enough that a child learning to read can help out with the story. Julia is able to pick out the words she knows and indentify with others that she's still learning.
I'd go ahead and check this out for yourself instead of going by any r
Rebecca Johnson
This series has been a huge hit with my six-year-old cousin. She and her parents read every night and have read far into the double digits. Every time I see her she updates me on her new ‘fairies’ – she was very excited to tell my sister (Bethany) and I when she got Rebecca the Rock and Roll Fairy and Bethany the Ballet Fairy in the same set. She’s a very imaginative child and so her play has quickly come to centre on stories involving these characters and I finally had to read the books simply ...more
Celena
Feb 27, 2012 Celena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst these books don't wow they are important in encouraging young readers to read. Pleasure is vital to the early experience of reading for children. Believe me when girls hear descriptions of wings and magic dust, rainbows and fairy fashion their imagination kicks into overdrive. They are great chapter books for those children reading for themselves. So, yes they are repetitive and there are so many in the series - the important thing is the joy of reading and to not abandon reading to your ...more
Christine
So this def intrigued my little sister. She can't wait to finish the rest of the series. Its a perfect read for a six year old, and my four year old sister is also listening in! Since it is so short, its quick and easy
Susan Erhardt
My six-year-old and I have read the entire color fairy series. She adores them, so maybe I should give them more than two stars. They're incredibly similar to each other. Even my daughter asked, "Mom! Why do they say that in EVERY book?!?" about Jack Frost's motives. They're pretty mediocre -- and so far very non-multicultural.
LIndsay
Nov 23, 2011 LIndsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Having been forced to read about a hundred of these books (the same plot, characters, goodies and baddies but just different fairies each time), I must say that these booksa re drivel of the worst type. My 6 year old loves them as did my 10 year old when she was 5 or 6. What is the attraction? Is it the familiarity of the characters? Is it the fact that at bed time they can just lie there sleepily and not work too hard for the story becasue there is absolutely no plot once one has ready the firs ...more
Irene
Mar 08, 2013 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls in Pre-K through 2nd Grade
Recommended to Irene by: Isabelle's 1st Grade Classmate
This book is only the first in the "Rainbow Magic" series, and it is pretty much just an introduction, setting up the characters and the story. Two girls, Rachel and Kirsty, meet on the ferry on their way to Rainspell Island, where they will be vacationing with their parents for a week. On the first day, they find Ruby the Red Fairy, and they get pulled into a fairy hunt that spans the rest of the series. Ruby has 6 sisters who also need to be found, and presumably, Rachel and Kirsty will find o ...more
Holly Letson
This is where it all began. Before the music fairies, the fun day fairies, the dance fairies, and so many others, the Rainbow Fairies had to be found and carefully returned to Fairyland.
I wasn't as impressed with this book as the others I have read from later sets in this series, because it's too peaceful and there isn't as much plot as I'm used to. No battle. No confrontations. Just "You found me. Let me fill you in on the fact that you have to find my 6 sisters in the next 6 days.".
Furtherm
Lauren
Apr 20, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This is an enjoyable read for younger readers who are just graduating to chapter books and are looking for a gentle fantasy story.
KayleighZ
Feb 08, 2016 KayleighZ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was great! it felt good to read the first book of the rainbow fairies series.especially since this is the first book in a series of 200 books!!!
Autumn
Aug 23, 2014 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember how my best friend and I used to read this series like all the time
$hanel
Mar 18, 2010 $hanel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this whole book series when I was in the fourth grade and I really liked them but many of my friends made fun of me for reading them which was just rude. Rachel and Kirsty arrive at RainSpell Island for their summer vacation and soon meet and become best friends. One ordinary day on the island Kirsty and Rachel find a pot that they think is full of gold and find Ruby the red fairy who has been swept away by Jack Frost and her sisters are somewhere else on the island. This book was really ...more
Amelia Quinn
I loved these books as a little girl. Now, I whip through them in literally 5 minutes and I wonder why I did love them. Rachel and Kirsty are best friends, which is very sweet. However, what I was always wondering was: Do these girls ever have school?

The goblins are so comical that it is almost as if they are not really meant to be villains, only a form of slapstick comedy. The girls outsmart them so easily that you wonder: Why are they afraid of these clumsy sidekicks? "Daisy Meadows'" approac
Hannah
Apr 09, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womack-3-5
Ruby the Red Fairy is the first book in a series of 7 by Daisy Meadows. The book starts off by introducing the main characters, Kirsty and Rachel who meet on a ferry ride to Rainspell Island. They realize while talking that they are staying in cottages next door to one another so they will be able to play. Later, once they get to their cottages, they decide to go out to explore the beach. They set off to explore the beach but decide to follow the rainbow instead to see if there was a pot of gold ...more
Wendi
Jun 25, 2011 Wendi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think these books all turn out to be the same story in the end, and I can only read so many series and then need a nice break from them, but my daughter LOVES the books, so I am fine reading them to her. They are magical, fun, and something a little girl would imagine doing. So no harm done. The first series seems original and fun, but after that it is the same thing over and over. I do like that there are so many fairy names with the books and I found one with my daughter's name and mine.
Dale Johnson
Sep 16, 2015 Dale Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd-4th grade girls.
Mckayla
Jul 13, 2009 Mckayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenna
Feb 10, 2016 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently I read Ruby the Red Fairy by Daisy Meadows. This book was written in 2003. Ruby the Red Fairy is considered fiction and has 65 pages. Ruby the Red Fairy is about these two girls their names are Rachel and Kirsty. Rachel and Kirsty are finding Ruby. The setting in Ruby the red fairy was summer vacation. For example in the book it says “her dad nodded. yes it is he said smiling our vacation is about to begin”.pg 1. The author decided to tell the story in 3rd person point of view. Rachel a ...more
Yuka Honda
Jul 14, 2014 Yuka Honda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Ruby the Red Fairy

2. 7/11=40min,7/14=30min

3. rainbow,map,pot,fairy,gasped,magic,enjoy

4. I like this passage"I always believed in fairies." I hope there are many fairies in this world because when I'm worried about something, I would like to help them.

5. This book was very cute book and it was easy to read this book. They did many things in order to search for one fairy. After I read the book, I felt that I wanted to use a magic.
Clarissa
Oct 04, 2009 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay... so I didn't really read this one. My 7-year-old read it to me. These series are pretty simple, but good for those just beyond beginning readers who are ready to tackle not-so-complicated chapter books. There is mild suspense and magical fairies... any little girl's idea of a literary feast, right? So far we've read 5 of them.
Ailish
I read this when I was 6ish, my uncle had given me pearl the cloud fairy as a present and I really liked it so I brought the first couple, my mate gave me the 7 first ones at some point because she didn't want them and from there I started collecting them, I used to run straight to the corner where they were in the book shop and pick out the next 3 (there was always a 3 for 2 on them). I stopped when it got to the point where I was reading 3 of them in 10 minuets (around book 38!!). I've since g ...more
Tanya
Jun 13, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rainbow magic is a great series for little girls, ages 5-8, I'm about 11 now, and I read these books ALOT when I was little! Ruby starts off the series. So people, please stop rating 1 star just because you are too big and think it's so boring, like legit, that isn't cool...
Diana Pettis
I can see why lots of girls in particular like this series. Not sure if I would use it in a guided reading group but could recommend as an independent reading book for girls.
Creative Caprice
This is not the best series for young children, but it's not bad either. I see the rating is for 7-10 year old, I think this is pushing it. Four to seven year old is more accurate I think. The other disadvantage of the series is that I can't see it appealing at all to many boys, unlike say Bailey School Kids or Magic Tree House which appeal to both.

Nevertheless, they are easy to read, a little repetitive but that can be good for beginning readers. The stories are somewhat engaging and since they
Audrey
I remember these books from when I was younger and I think I actually read some of them, but I think that was because my sister used to be OBSESSED with them and I sometimes read books when she's not in her room because I'm curious to see what she reads. This series is about as basic as you can get. Each sub- series has 7 fairies in it around a theme. Jack Frost is the villain in every book and he takes the power of the fairies so the girls who are the main characters have to save them. I don't ...more
Erin Harrington
Jul 12, 2012 Erin Harrington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was about fairies, and goblins. I think Book worm books should get some more of these books.
Chloe Schofield
May 29, 2016 Chloe Schofield rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series as a young child and when clearing through some things I found some of my old childhood books. re-reading it now I will be honest they are bad but for a younger child it is the perfect simple story. This series the "rainbow fairies" is about two girls who meet on a ferry they instantly become friends(as an older reader this frustrated me a little as there is no lead up to their friendship). They are sent on a quest to find all the rainbow fairies each book in this collection ...more
Did anyone else absolutely loved the rainbow magic books/series when they were younger 14 29 Jan 24, 2015 06:43PM
Rainbow magic: Ruby the red fairy 2 12 Dec 20, 2013 08:09AM
  • Beck Beyond the Sea (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #10)
  • Rani in the Mermaid Lagoon (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #5)
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • Fira and the Full Moon (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #6)
  • Prilla and the Butterfly Lie (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #8)
  • Princess Charlotte and the Birthday Ball (The Tiara Club, #1)
  • Lily's Pesky Plant (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #4)
  • Vidia and the Fairy Crown (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #2)
  • The Trouble With Tink (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #1)
  • A Masterpiece for Bess (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #7)
  • A New Beginning (Magic Puppy, #1)
  • Dreams Come True (My Secret Unicorn, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Carnival Prize (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #9)
  • Hot & Cold (EJ12 Girl Hero, #1)
  • Girls Don't Have Cooties
Daisy Meadows is the pseudonym used for the four writers of the Rainbow Magic children's series: Narinder Dhami, Sue Bentley, Linda Chapman, and Sue Mongredien. Rainbow Magic features differing groups of fairies as main characters, including the Jewel fairies, Weather fairies, Pet fairies, Petal fairies, and Sporty fairies.

Narinder Dhami was born in Wolverhampton, England on November 15, 1958. Sh
More about Daisy Meadows...

Rainbow Magic (1 - 10 of 215 books)
  • Amber The Orange Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #2)
  • Sunny The Yellow Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #3)
  • Fern The Green Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #4)
  • Sky The Blue Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #5)
  • Inky The Indigo Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #6)
  • Heather The Violet Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #7)
  • Crystal The Snow Fairy (Rainbow Magic #8; Weather Fairies, #1)
  • Abigail The Breeze Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #9; Weather Fairies, #2)
  • Pearl The Cloud Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #10; Weather Fairies, #3)
  • Goldie The Sunshine Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #11; Weather Fairies, #4)