Emma

Emma (Jane Austen: Marvel Adaptations)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Marvel continues its bestselling graphic novel adaptations of Jane Austen's classics!

Award-winning author Nancy Butler, adapter of Marvel's best-selling Adaptations, SENSE AND SENSIBILITY and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE brings you another Jane Austen classic! Joined with the beautiful illustrations of JANET LEE, Butler brings to life Austen's most precocious heroine, Emma Woodhou...more
Published October 12th 2011 by Marvel (first published October 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma

Sinai C.
See...I tried to read Emma, like, the original, but it was just way too dense for me to dive into, and I didn't find myself really into the characters the same way I was with Pride and Prejudice.

Now...I have to say that this was an okay read- I suppose if you like Emma, it's a much shorter (BUT NOT THAT MUCH SHORTER) way to get what seems to be the whole plot of the original book. However...who would want to read that book anyway. Emma is one of the most selfish and disillusioned heroines I hav...more
Ape
Emma is one of the two Austen books I've yet to read, the other being Mansfield Park. I am very familiar with the story, having seen various adaptations. I have to admit that these two are waiting to be read in the original as they are the least appealing of all the stories. In the case of Emma, she is a mixed bag for me. On the one hand an interesting, spirited young woman; and none of us are perfect, so we can relate to being taken in by people, coming out with inappropriate comments without t...more
Janine Spendlove
Emma has always been one of my least favorite of the Austen books (by saying least favorite that implies it still IS a favorite), so I was surprised by how much I loved the graphic novel.

But in hindsight I shouldn't be - Janet K. Lee's beautiful artwork and adaptation perfectly capture all the ever important subtle/unspoken content.

Loved it! It almost made me prefer Mr. Knightly to Mr. Darcy. Almost, not quite...

Now I'm off to read the Northanger Abbey....
Alex
A well-paced but not overly-condensed adaptation of Jane Austen's novel, this comic version is a fun read for anyone familiar with the story, and even for anyone who isn't (though it might be a little convoluted to the uninitiated). I loved the colorful, pattern-rich illustration, but at times some of the characters were too similar looking.
Cheryl
The only reason I even knew about this book is because I met Janet Lee at Dragon*Con last year, and was so blown away by her artwork that I couldn't resist a whole graphic novel that she illustrated - much less that it was Jane Austen.

Her decoupage is beautiful, and there were several pages where the panels, side by side by side were absolutely brilliant. In one instance, a couple is dancing in the foreground, while Emma and her companion (probably Mrs. Weston) are talking.

There are other times...more
Andrea Hickman Walker
This beautiful item was a birthday gift from a couple of friends of mine. It is absolutely wonderful! SJW had found the first four issues online, but I refused to read it until I could read it in full, which is what is collected in this beautiful volume. It tells the story of Emma without deviating from the novel. There are a few points that weren't mentioned, that I would have liked to see in, such as the fact that Mrs Bates was the widow of the previous vicar of Highbury. The lack of John Knig...more
Nancy O'Toole
After successfully setting up her governess with a local gentleman, Mr Weston, Emma Woodhouse figures that she has a talent for matchmaking. Her next target is the young and naive Harriet Smith, whom Emma believes is the perfect match for the local vicar Mr. Elton, regardless of their differences in class. When her carefully laid plans end in disaster, Emma is forced to realize that that people’s emotions are not as predictable as one might suspect.

Following Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sen...more
Tally
Whereas this version of Emma doesn’t fall short from Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice as far as adaptation goes, I can definitely see why it is considered less renowned than these two. While reading it, I was also reminded why – when I was asked to read the novel during my studies – I couldn’t finish it. The enormous variety of characters and incidents depicted make the story confusing and hard to follow at times. Often I found myself stopping to make sure I remembered who was whom...more
Kim
What do you get when you combine one of Jane Austen’s classic works with the minds behind Marvel Comics? Why, a graphic novel series of course. Nancy Butler has turned three of Austen’s works into graphic novel format thus far: Sense and Sensibility (which I’ve reviewed here), Pride and Prejudice, and now Emma. As the newest release, Emma intrigued me because I’ve already enjoyed one of Butler’s works, and figured that combining two of my great literary interests (Austen and to a lesser extent,...more
amy boese
I read this with great trepidation. First confession: I'm not a huge Jane Austen fan. Second confession: I bought the Marvel Austen series for my library but never read any of them.

Why does this matter? Ultimately, it doesn't, however, I was weeding the graphic collection for duds and all three we owned (Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice) were sitting on my library shelves like book carcasses.

But the covers are like CANDY! I can't believe no one has picked them up. So I found mys...more
While I wasn't as immediately enamored with the art of this book as I was the recent telling of Sense and Sensibility, it did grow on me. There are some really creative vantage points taken in the art, it gets pretty creative! I mean, an aerial view of a dining party? Talk about random, and wonderful for breaking up what could have easily become a flat comic! I will certainly say that Butler maps out the story into this medium very well. It's a lovely adaptation, not nearly as drowned-in-text as...more
Sam
I haven't read the full version of Emma, yet. I've started multiple times but i just haven't been in the mood to finish it. When I found Marvel's graphic novel retellings of Austen's classics, I was excited to read this one - hoping it would give me the motivation to push me to finish the full version.
It doesn't.
1. I just don't like Emma. She's a brat. And I don't understand the seemingly out-of-left-field romance with Knightley. Maybe it's like Gone With The Wind: you gotta read it, not just wa...more
Don
Wonderful adaptation! Nancy Butler's compression of Jane Austen's fully realized novel is superb, keeping all of the major characters and plot points, yet without feeling there's anything left out; at the same time, a pleasurable side effect is that this is a very dense read, and makes the book last about twice as long as the average graphic novel. The true star of this book, however, is Janet Lee, whose illustrations are stellar. Seemingly a mixture of watercolor, marker, pastels and pen (and m...more
GONZA
Delle tre trasposizioni della Marvel dei libri di Jane Austen in fumetti questa è sicuramente quella con i peggiori disegni, però la storia è carina come ormai sappiamo tutti e con il Jane Austen mode On si fa apprezzare tranquillamente.
Badlydone
This is Marvel Comics' third graphic novel adaptation of Jane Austen's classic works. I was a bit skeptical about Emma being presented in this format at first, but Janet Lee's beautiful and unique illustrations won me over very soon. It is indeed a page turner, but not a short read unlike most graphic novels. The story is fairly faithful to the timeline of the original Emma with a few modifications to suit this format. A Jane Austen purist may not appreciate it, but I found it thoroughly enjoyab...more
Sara ♥
It was good, but the story wasn't as fluid as the other graphic novel adaptations... and I really didn't care for the graphics much... at all really. The characters were fairly ugly... I found myself avoiding looking too hard at the pictures cuz I didn't want the images to "taint" my mental image of the characters... That's not very flattering...

Anyway, overall I just didn't like this adaptation as much as the others. I didn't think it translated as well as the others.
Rach
What is not to love about Jane Austen's Emma? It is excellent as a graphic novel, the illustrations perfectly capturing the period and the personalities of the characters. I wondered whether there may be limitations when 'converting' a book to a graphic novel yet it stayed true to the story, keeping enough of it that you didn't have any obvious missing bits. I fell in love with the story, and Emma, and Austen, all over again. Bravo!
Jessica
Delightful adaptation!
Debbi
I loved reading a Jane Austin in this format. Although I thought the comic renditions of the characters were a little unflattering, I still enjoyed the graphic part of this story. It was amazing to me that the WHOLE story was contained in these few pages. The author did a great job maintaining the integrity of the story and presenting it in a playful, artistic and new manner.
Sophie D
I loved this book. It was such a good way to start reading classics. I loved the story and the adaption
Aubrey Hansen
Because I am too lazy to read the original novel. Deal with it.

Actually, truth of the matter is, Austen failed to interest me, but I found the bright, quirky illustrations of this adaptation irresistible, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Judge for yourself by the number of stars I gave it what my opinion was.

I wish I could write period dialog like that...
Stefanie
I had to get used to the slightly freakish artwork in this, but once I did, I liked it a lot. The more I read Emma, the more Mr. Knightley grows on me. He's almost even with Mr. Darcy in my eyes now. Sigh. I love Jane Austen. I can't wait for the Northanger Abbey graphic novel!!! Thank you, Marvel!
Juju (Tales of Whimsy.com)
It felt like Diet Emma to me. Good for those who are watching their calories but not for those enjoy the real deal. 2 stars

Review Copyright © of Tales of Whimsy.com

To read my review in full, please visit: http://www.talesofwhimsy.com/2013/01/...
Becky
I have not read the full length novel (yet) but just wanted to note on this edition that the art work is stunning! Extremely easy to follow if you are new to Jane Austen and enjoyable if she is your favorite author of all time. So now onto the actual novel!
Kelsey
Such a fun adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma! I loved the illustrations, though the short length and general limitations of a graphic novel were, in my opinion, an obstacle in encompassing the true themes, ideas, and emotions associated with the novel.
Dolores
This is the 4th Austen adaptation I've read by Nancy Butler. Her style is a bit different for each one, but she always succeeds in bringing the book to life faithfully. Nice way to bring Austen to teens who might never take the plunge otherwise.
Beth
Jul 05, 2012 Beth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: gn
Emma was never one of my favorite Jane Austen books anyway, and I thought the illustrations in this graphic novel were too juvenile to add anything to the story. That being said, I really liked Butler's version of Pride and Prejudice.
Katy Branson
Janet Lee is one of my favorite artists and Emma is one of my favorite books so this was a no-brainer for me. The graphic novel format added terrific nuance to the characters but sometimes felt oversimplified. Still, i loved it.
Vanessa
I give this a five-star rating only because the artist is amazing. Her process is so hard & arduous; I am baffled at the number of panels she created for this retelling. Thoroughly impressed with the art.
Linguana
Yay for the Austen story, nay for the drawing style. It toally wasn't my cup of tea. Full review here: http://sffbookreview.wordpress.com/20...
  • Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel
  • Attempting Elizabeth
  • Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1)
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • Pride and Precipice
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 3
  • Mr. Darcy Takes the Plunge
  • It Should Have Been Me
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #2)
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3)
  • The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans
  • Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood
  • Eighth Grade Bites #1: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Graphic Novel
  • A Darcy Christmas
Nancy Butler also writes under her real name, Nancy J. Hajeski.

Nancy Butler has been an Anglophile since she was nineteen, when she traveled to England to see Carnaby Street. (“I blame it on the Beatles!”) Her frequent visits to an American friend living in London have furnished her with enough inspiration to keep writing Regencies well into the new millennium.

Butler resides in northern New Jersey...more
More about Nancy Butler...
Pride & Prejudice Sense & Sensibility Northanger Abbey Prospero's Daughter Regency Christmas Spirits