Start by marking “Slow Burn” as Want to Read:
Slow Burn

Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,122 Ratings  ·  293 Reviews
Every fire begins with a little heat–and in Slow Burn, bestselling author Julie Garwood provides the spark, skillfully blending pulse-pounding action, intense emotion, and characters with grit and heart. The result is an electrifying novel of romantic suspense that will have readers burning through the pages.

An unpretentious beauty who radiates kindness, Kate MacKenna does
Published August 30th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published August 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Burn

[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
3 stars

My first Julie Garwood book and I quite enjoyed it. I think personally I would have liked more sexy time, the person behind the bombings was no big surprise and some bits were a bit of a drag.

Otherwise I'm interested enough to try the another Julie Garwood book. I think the hot cops are enough motivation for me to try more from this series :)
Laura V.
2015 Reading Challenge: #09 Libro escrito por una mujer

Creo que cualquiera que me lea sabe lo mucho que me gustan las historias de dos personas que se conocen de toda la vida y se enamoran. Este es el clásico enamorada del hermano de mi mejor amiga o más tierno aún enamorado de la mejor amiga de mi hermana.
Es una lectura breve, sin muchos sobresaltos, el más flojo de la serie arriesgaría, pero hizo pasar un buen rato y me sacó de la amargura del último. Acá no hay un desarrollo bueno del romance
Angela
Dec 21, 2008 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, recommended
Decided to give Julie Garwood a go since she'd been recommended to me, but apparently I picked the wrong book or something, because Slow Burn mostly just came across to me as Slow Bore. The blurb was promising, telling me all about how Kate MacKenna was being hounded by things blowing up everywhere she goes, and how said explosions were going to throw her across the path of two different men. And certainly we started off well, with things going splody around Kate as promised.

Except that after tw
Linda Strong
Apr 04, 2016 Linda Strong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
It seems Kate McKenna was born under a lucky star. She has survived two bombings, as well as a near fatal hit and run.

She would tell you she has no enemies ... but that was before she found out a distant uncle left her millions of dollars in his will. Now there are many more suspects to investigate.

Detective Dylan Buchanan is the brother of her very best friend and former college roommate. While visiting her friend, she winds up have a one night stand with Dylan. And Dylan is watching her back .
Sarah ~
كيت تعيش بمدينة تشارلستون -ولاية ساوث كارولاينا- شابة طموحة ومكافحة وحولَت صعوبات الحياة التي واجهتها إلى نصر ونجاح لكن كل شيء انقلبَ ضدها وتكالبت عليها المشاكل من كل حدبٍ وصوب وإلى جانب هذا وجدت حياتها مهددة فهي مطاردة من عدو خفي ، مخيف ولا يثنيه شيء عن قتلها ..

هذه رواية خفيفة ولطيفة وجدتها خلال الإسبوع الماضي بالصدفة وساعدتني خلال فترة مرضي ..
الحبكة هنا ليست مستهلكة لكن مع قليل من الإنتباه استنتجت كل شيء قبل أن تفصحَ عنه الكاتبة في الصفحات الأخيرة ..
لمحبي روايات الجريمة ..
Oana Turcea
Apr 26, 2016 Oana Turcea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
O carte care m-a ținut cu sufletul la gură de la început până la ultima pagină!
Roman de dragoste, polițist, de suspans, de aventură care m-a terminat. Paginile au zburat și parcă aș vrea să se mai continue. Știu că această carte face parte dintr-o serie și cu siguranță voi pune eu mâna și pe celelalte volume.
Stilul autoarei de a surprinde întreaga acțiune este special, m-a surprins plăcut, m-a facut să trăiesc alături de personaje, să simt fiecare mișcare alături de ele.
Kate este o femeie atât
Lilian
Mar 14, 2011 Lilian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last book in Buchanan-McKenna-Whatever series in my TBR list. I'm just addicted to Julie Garwood's books - both contemporary and historical and I was longing to read this one - need to say that I read this series totally out of order.

Well, maybe my expectations were too high. Truth is, I like this book, but is not the best one in the series for me. My fav so far is Killjoy and oh, how I miss John Paul. The plot of Slow Burn is kinda weird.

I didn't feel much chemistry between the ma
Xiki71
Dec 29, 2014 Xiki71 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Me han faltado escenas de amor y de cama. Entiendo que se trata de un libro de suspense pero para mi gusto le falta un poco de parte romántica. Por lo demás un libro bastante bueno.
LailaBC
I am so glad this one end up to my liking. Dylan Buchanan a Boston based cop who was on a mend from being shot in the line of duty was sent by his sister Jordan to her best friend Kate MacKenna, insisting that she look into the dangerous situations that Kate seems to be in. Kate has been having a real bad week after being almost blown up twice and then run down by a car. Although thanks to wonderbra she escaped death the first time that was morbidly hilarious.
Daylan and Kate have a long history
Cruth
Author: Julie Garwood
First published: 2005
Length: 353 pages
Setting: Contemporary. Silver Springs near Charleston.
Sex: Explicit at the beginning (sexual tension as a result of one night stand). Closed door or fade to black thereafter.
Hero: Boston Detective on injured list.
Heroine: Owns a candle/perfume company.

The start of the transition between Garwood's early, complex stories and her later single plot more erotic books. A good story but it doesn't hang together as well as others.

Still really en
Abdullah
في حال أبلغك محاميك بأنك قد ورثت ثمانين مليون دولار فالرواية ستبلغك بالطريقة الافضل للتصرف :) رواية جميله ولكنها للحالمين فقط ... وليست لمن يستخدم عبارة (عندك سلف) بهذه الكثره
Geovanna Maya
Aunque el libro no fue tan bueno en el thriller el romance entre los protagonistas lo recompensó, pues a pesar de que la protagonista no era la mejor entre mas avanza en los capítulos apoyaba cada una de sus decisiones.
El misterio fue de lo mas normal, no encontré la chispa que la autora le daba a los primeros libros pero sin duda mejoro a diferencia del anterior.
El final fue bueno pero pudo ser mejor respecto al trama que rodeaba a la protagonista, y en el romance, no me pareció fuera del otro
Chumchum_88
Jul 24, 2015 Chumchum_88 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Ms. Garwood's contemporary work is vastly enthralling and I'm loving all the mystery in it.

What I love about this series is the amazing unexpected twists it contains, and the fact that it's not predictable. Usually I can sense the bad guy from the beginning or the middle of the book, but in this series I didn't know till the author herself revealed his identity, and I think this shows how much of a great writer she is.

- The relationship between the main characters was amusing, one second they tr
Willow
Jul 10, 2010 Willow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this one. I did. I liked Dylan, I thought he was an interesting Buchanan brother (Didn't dethrone my favorite, Theo, for those keeping score) and yes, I fell for that lazy sort of devil-may-care attitude he had, and that he had a long-standing flirtatious back and forth with the female lead, Kate MacKenna, who happens to be his sister Jordan's best friend. Combining those elements of getting to see Jordan, of another Buchanan brother, and a Southern setting, I was hoping for ano ...more
RomReader *Spoiler Giver*
Business-savvy eldest of 3 sisters gets unexpected $80-million inheritance from their unknown uncle. She thinks its tied to 2 bomb explosions she was involved in & amazingly survived without serious injury. Due to the major stressors in her life recently & long-time attraction to her BFF's playboy detective brother Hero, she has a 1-night stand with her Hero. She didn't expect any commitments from him but their night together meant a lot to Hero. So, he takes it upon himself to protect h ...more
Lynda
Oct 16, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
Ambitious entrepreneur Kate Mackenna’s life was mundane, a dutiful daughter who remained close to her mother until her death. Ready to take on new challenges, Kate was planning to move and expand her business when the unthinkable happened; an explosion almost ended her life. One explosion may be an accident but two explosions and attempted hit-and-run can only be one thing, someone wanted her dead…why? Fearing Kate was in danger, childhood friend Jordan sent her police detective brother Dylan Bu ...more
Shantana Powell
more like 3.5, liked it, could have loved it but it was a bit predictable in some sense.
Natalie
Like most of JG's books, I enjoyed this novel. However, the most I could rate it was a three. And truly, it was for one single reason. This might be a tiny spoiler, so for anyone reading, don't continue on. And I apologize. I started out wanting to write a short review, but my opinions took over. Lol.

Okay, in general terms, I liked all the characters. I didn't have a problem with that. The heroine was interesting at first, but as the novel went on, I found myself trying to put myself in her posi
Rene Natan
Mar 29, 2014 Rene Natan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bra can make wonders for a woman’s figure, but the reinforced Wonderbra Kate MacKenna wears is instrumental in saving her life. Speak of wonders!

It all starts when Kate becomes the nominated heiress of her grandfather’s fortune. It’s at this point that several people would like to see her dead. Fortunately her best friend’s brother, a one Dylan Buchanan comes to her rescue and uses his experience as an investigative policeman to protect her from recurring attempts to her life. Sparkles ignite
İlkim
Yazarın Buchanan serisindeki diğer kitapları gibiydi, olaylar akıp gidiyor ve bu arada bir aşk doğuyor her zamanki gibi. Sonundaki şaşırtma faktörünü güzel kurgulamış yazar, onun dışında normal bir kitap.
Bookcrazy
Der Krimi-Plot war ganz nett, wenn auch etwas vorhersehbar. Reicher Verwandter vererbt den Großteil seines Vermögens an Kate und ihre Schwestern. Kate passieren schon vor der Testamentseröffnung merkwürdige Dinge. Anschläge werden auf sie verübt. Dylan wird von ihrer besten Freundin geschickt, damit er sie vor den feigen Mordanschlägen beschützt.

Die Liebesgeschichte zwischen Kate und Dylan beginnt gut, wirkt aber in der gefühlsmäßigen Ebene etwas mangelhaft ausgearbeitet. Die beiden reden kaum
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3/5; 3 stars; B-

This was a pleasant addition to the Buchanan series. Nothing too surprising but good company in the form of an audiobook while doing boring housework.
Wendy
Mar 25, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense/Romance lovers
Another wonderful Romance/Suspense. Date and Dylan are great characters that will have you wanting to move south. Again the Buchanan men! You will not want to put this down.
Susan
Jun 08, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a 'Calgon Take Me Away' read. I read this because I love my friend and I said I would read a Julie Garwood book. Once again, take this book to the beach house, the lake, anyplace you get to go where you can just let go
and enjoy a romantic thriller. A girlfriend read, I think. I enjoyed the mystery and always look for insight into
human relationships. I needed a break from the HEAVY books I just recently read on The Civil War. Next time I need
a to take life more lightly...I will read a
Maura
Jenn C
While I hate to rate any of Julie's books as less than four, I'm afraid Slow Burn slid into predicability.

Don't get me wrong - I loved the characters and the story. It was classic Garwood and the reason I became a fan of her writing in the beginning. But after 6 outings, this one seemed...flat almost. Predicable. Repititive.

Yes, I realize this is a romance and there is a certain formula with deviations for character, plot, setting, and so on. But I love Julie's books for the way her characters
Danielle
Slow burn is the story of another Buchanan, the sons of Judge Buchanan who are equally gorgeous,stubborn and funny. Like his brothers, Dylan is witty and charming. On the commands of his sister, Jordan (and in case anyone is interested, is my favorite character in the whole series)sees to the safety of Kate, Jordan's best friend, who is nearly run over and blown up - twice.

This isn't my favorite novel of Garwood's but it's still pretty good. The pacing is fast at the beginning and towards the en
Rita Carvalho
Let's Talk About ...: Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard #5) 1 9 Apr 08, 2013 03:18PM
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
  • Every Breath You Take  (Second Opportunities #4)
  • All Night Long
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
  • Extreme Danger (McClouds & Friends #5)
  • Into the Storm (Troubleshooters, #10)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • Whispers at Midnight
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Buchanan-Renard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Heartbreaker (Buchanan-Renard, #1)
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • Killjoy (Buchanan-Renard, #3)
  • Murder List (Buchanan-Renard #4)
  • Shadow Dance (Buchanan-Renard, #6)
  • Fire and Ice (Buchanan-Renard, #7)
  • Sizzle (Buchanan-Renard, #8)
  • The Ideal Man (Buchanan-Renard, #9)
  • Sweet Talk (Buchanan-Renard, #10)
  • Hotshot (Buchanan-Renard, #11)

“I guess you could cross off the artist, Oregano.” “Cinnamon,” she corrected. “Her name is Cinnamon.” 0 likes
“Okay, I’ll ask. How come you’re being sued? And how come you’re so calm about it?” “I might as well be calm,” she said. “Getting all worked up won’t do any good.” 0 likes