Start by marking “Metres” as Want to Read:
Metres

Metres

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  5,551 ratings  ·  168 reviews
O, sadece metres olmayı planlamıştı, ancak beyefendinin başka planları vardı…

Iphiginia Bright, halasına şantaj yapıldığını öğrendiğinde buna bir son vermeye karar verdi. Şantajcının, öldürdüğünü söylediği gizemli Masters Kontu’nun sevgilisi rolüne bürünecek ve sosyeteye girip şantajcıyı bulacaktı. Gerçekten de bir gecede sosyetenin en parlak çevrelerince kabul edildi ve kı
464 pages
Published 2011 by Artemis Yayınları (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Metres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metres

Kara
In the Beginning, there was Jane Austen, and She wrote the Word, and the Word was Good. And She did Create the Regency Novel in all its Glory.

Then there was Georgette Heyer, blessed be Her name, who did taketh up the torch, and ran with it.

But Lo! There were then imitators, and they were many, and Their name was Legion, and they did taketh the Chaste Kiss that endeth the Regency Novel, and turn it into page after page of instructional descriptions on how to make the Beast with Two Backs.

Here end
Dina
Mar 23, 2012 Dina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Agent Scully
This was only my third book by Amanda Quick, but I knew what to expect from her: a funny and charming story with a bright but quirky heroine who defies society's conventions, a brooding hero who's in need of an emotional makeover and a somewhat convoluted mystery to be solved while the H/h fall in love with each other. Mistress had all that, but it was by no means predictable. In fact, the mystery plot had some very unexpected twists, and I'm still a little dizzy.

Iphiginia (ugh, what a name!) Br
Robin (Bridge Four)
My guilty pleasures include regency romances. I love to cuddle up on the couch and indulge in them on stormy days. I even expect a bit of cheese to be involved but this one for some reason was just a little too much on the cheese and crackers side of romance for my taste.
 photo bitcheesy_zpsd17e9ad2.jpg

Iphiginia, try to say that three times fast, Bright is an educated woman who doesn’t want to live by the rules. To catch a blackmailer she pretends to be the mistress of Marcus the Earl of Masters a notorious man who has a list
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
drowningmermaid
"Oh! Iphiginia! Your phiginia is so hot and tight!" says Marcus, Earl of Whatever, tallest and richest and most desired of the whoevers.

A *unique* (cough) romance hero who has dallied enough for experience (but not TOO much, and not with anyone important, and not too recently), who lives in a self-imposed prison of a loveless life, waiting for a salvic female to unlock his heart through the healing balm of graphic sex.

One of the pointless, self-imposed rules Marcus lives by is that he never di
Vee
I LOVE AMANDA QUICK!! Freaking love her!!! This particular story was great. I had a hard time believing her name was really Iphginia or whatever but I got over it once I all of a sudden became her and had the most daunting crush on Marcus. Yes. In these books I become the main character. Sometimes I'm all of them and act out the parts in the mirror. Yes, I'm a dork.. D O R K. Moving on... The story delivers intrigue, suspense and kept me up WAY into the night. Super fast read. Super rollercoaste ...more
Mojca
Iphiginia (let's now dwell on the name, shall we?) has recently returned to England, when she learns her dear aunt Zoe is being blackmailed. The blackmailer is so vicious he actually killed a member of the ton, Marcus Valerius Cloud, Earl of Masters, so he truly must be stopped. So Iphy devises a cunning plan. She would enter the ton posing as Masters's mistress - the man is dead after all, he won't be able to label her a liar and since he was quite a recluse before his death, no one will know t ...more
Denise
What an entertaining read this turned out to be! So much that I am going to try to gobble up as many of Amanda Quick's books as quickly as I can.
Iphiginia Bright's aunt was being blackmailed. The note said that Marcus Valerius Cloud, Earl of Masters was killed by the blackmailer and if the aunt did not pay up, she would meet with the same fate. Iphiginia helps by posing as Marcu's mistress, Mrs. Bright. Being he is dead and all, who would know that she is a just a bluestocking virgin.
Marcus i
Amanda
3.5

It should be noted that Amanda Quick -- better known as a pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz -- was, at one time, my favorite author. And although that was more than a decade ago, she will always have a spot in my heart, even if I don't quite connect with her books as well as I used to.

One reason I loved Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz books is that her characters are intelligent. The heroine does her own thing. The hero falls hard. It's quite pleasing all around. But Mistress seems to hit you over
Daniella
HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK WAS JUST SO AWFUL.

There, I said it.

Bloody hell. I can't believe it. It actually happened... I finally encountered an Amanda Quick book that I dislike so much cartwheeling over a crate of dynamite seemed infinitely more appealing than reading it. And unlike in the case of her other book, Affair, no amount of loyalty to Ms. Quick could elevate this to anything more than a harsh 1 star rating.

Everything was just wrong with this book, but the straw that broke the camel's back wa
Chumchum_88
This was a great book, and I realized that I prefer Amanda Quick's books as Audio books more, Because I used to complain about the extensiveness f the details, but in Audio books they were another matter. This book is vastly entertaining, humorous, and mind challenging.

Iphiginia and Marcus looked to me two peas in a pod, they were so alike in interests and behavior that it sometimes was funny and useful, wherein the only difference was the common one between any man and women, he's logical and a
Kathy Davie
Yes, the title is quite accurate as this tale is about a woman faking being a notorious lord’s mistress while he’s in the country---well, she thinks the Earl of Masters is dead by his blackmailer’s hands and that it won’t matter what she’s up to. Her purpose in pursuing this course is to find out who is blackmailing her widowed aunt; Iphiginia Bright believes that it can only be the men who know both the late Lord Guthrie and Marcus Cloud, Earl of Masters.

Unfortunately for Iphiginia, Masters is
Lady Wesley
This audiobook was almost enjoyable. The story was quick and light-hearted, but the narrator was extremely slow. Great pauses between sentences, which at times cause me to look at my iPod screen to see if something had gone wrong. I would not be eager to listen to Barbara Rosenblatt again.
Sevimli Hırsız
Çok tatlı bir kitaptı. Keşke daha önce alıp okusaymışım. Bu yazarın Kiralık Nişanlı kitabını ne zaman elime alsam geri bırakmıştım fakat bu kitap su gibi aktı. Hafif polisiyeyle birleştirdiği aşkı çok güzel işlemiş. Özellikle kadın karktere bayıldım. Biraz fazla saftı ama o saflığı da kitaba eğlenceli bir hava katmış.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Re-read January 2014.

Still lighthearted and silly, and still just as much fun to read.

4.5/5 Stars
Pat
This is my favorite book by this author. Funny with a good mystery and romance.
Aarann
Ever since "discovering" Amanda Quick for myself a couple of weeks ago, I've been mainlining her books, particularly the single-word titles (i.e., Mistress," "Mischief," "Surrender," etc.) (and yes, I'm aware that Amanda Quick is one of Jayne Ann Krentz's various nom de plumes). A few of them have run together as they all seem to feature a heroine who is at some point labeled an "Original" in that she casts off the demands of Police Society in Regency England to pursue her own happiness, and a m ...more
nurmawati

salah satu buku amnada quick terbagus...ttg iphigina si spinster bekas guru yg nyamar jadi mistress lord masters yg di beritakan meninggal buat menangkap org yg memeras bibi nya...
sayangnya (or asiknya ? ;p) lord masters belom meninggal dan datang buat meng-claim "mistress-in-the name-only"...
iphiginia nyamar juga jadi janda...masters yg tertarik langsung mendekati iphiginia dan bertekad menjadikan iphiginia mistress benerannya...
masters paling anti sama virgins dan istri org...trus gak mau meri
Hanife
Bana göre iyi bir kitaptı. Aşırı sevdiğim sölenemez ama konusu hoş bir hikayeydi. Konumuzdan biraz bahsediyim. Hikaye kızımız Iphiginia ve oğlumuz Masters Kontu Marcus arasında geçiyor. Iphiginia'nın teyzesine yıllar önceki bir konu yüzünden şantaj yapılıyordur. Şantaj mesajında eğer parayı vermezse Masters Kontunu öldürdüğü gibi onuda öldüreceğine dair bir tehdit vardır. Kızın teyzesi hemen parayı verir yalnız Ipheginia bu şantajcıyı bulmaya niyetlidir. Bunun üzerine sosyeteye kendini Masters ...more
Jane Reader
Can I say I loved this book? Absolutely! Mistress is one of my favorite Amanda Quick novels and I've blown through quite a few in the past couple of days. The story is great -- I figured out the mystery pretty early, but it doesn't take away from the overall novel in the slightest -- and the characters are solid. I laughed a great deal and the storyline was well paced.

Mistress tells the story of Iphiginia Bright, a quick-witted spinster that pretends to be a widow and the mistress of the Earl of
Julie Ambrose
Having heard great things of Amanda Quick's clever historical erotic romances, I was expecting a little too much with this threadbare effort. Yet the premise sounded good enough: a blackmail-investigating young woman must impersonate a somewhat rakish gent's mistress in order to win her way into high society and rummage through their belongings. When the wealthy-but-honest lothario joins the search for the blackmailer, sexy shenanigans and deeper connections ensue.

Repetitious and over-formulaic,
Hannah
3.5 Stars because it was very sweet and there were several parts I couldn't help but laugh out loud. So why didn't I rate it higher? Because it follows a formula and it's not as exciting when you know what to expect.
Joy
Iphiginia Bright thinks the best way to track down a society blackmailer is to trick her way into society. The Earl of Masters, now out of the picture, is a likely sponsor. Viola, Mrs. Bright, former mistress of Marcus Cloud, Earl of Masters. He isn't dead after all, so now Iphiginia has to work things out with him. While, of course, finding the blackmailer.

I was attracted by the plot as described above, but unfortunately the romantic conflict for MISTRESS is based on both the main characters be
Lisa
This was a very satisfying read. Both the hero and heroine were likeable and the mystery was intriguing and served to move the plot forward.

We start out with the heroine, Iphiginia, masquerading as the hero, Marcus' former mistress in an attempt to flush out a blackmailer. She's been led to believe that Marcus was killed by the blackmailer so she thinks she's safe in her charade. For a time her plan works and she insinuates herself into the most exclusive circles in the ton with her outrageous b
Dragana
Not much to say. Just an average historical romance with a little bit of a mystery sub-plot.

I liked the heroine, Iphiginia Bright. She is smart, confident and however annoying that is to some people, especially to her family and poor Earl of Masters, she is always right. As he once said: "If she was exerting any effort at all to appear modest, she was failing spectacularly." Interactions between Iphiginia and him were the most fun part of the book. :)
Tonileg
I was about to give up on Historical Romance for a while because lately they all seem too similar that they are mixing up into the same story.
This book showed me that I was totally wrong. This was a good mystery with a love story (well probably four or five love stories simultaneously).
Miss/Mrs Iphiginia Bright is a great heroine. She is smart, almost too smart because she figures out society too quickly that in a few weeks she becomes the star on top of the society's Christmas tree. She only do
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Amanda Quick is a guaranteed good read for me. I also enjoy the audiobook versions of her books.

Audio Also:

Audiobook read by Barbara Rosenblatt
Anna's Herding Cats!
I just love Amanda Quick. She's one of my comfort authors and the first I binge read when I started reading a few years back. They've got it all. A bit of mystery and danger, a bit of romance and humor, unique characters that are a little quirky and entirely lovable. They're just fun, light reads and Mistress definitely hit the spot with all of the above.

The quick of it is that Iphiginia--yeah weird name, right?-- decides to pretend to be the mistress of an Earl--one she's never met and she thin
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Marcus The Earl of Master is a man set on his rules. Never getting remaried is his goal until he meets an outrageous woman. This Lady of the Ton is none other than Iphignia Bright. She goes on pretending that she is Marcus's paramore but she doesn't know the meening of the word Mistress. They go on a journey of deception together as Iphignia and Marcus try to find thier friends Blackmailer. As Marcus and Iphignia try to get close to the Blackmailer, they get set uppon by tricks and ploys to make ...more
What's The Name o...: Regency Book *pls help* [s] 4 39 Jan 04, 2014 10:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine and add cover 3 143 Oct 16, 2012 10:42PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Mistress (1994) 1 6 Sep 27, 2012 12:18PM
  • Hidden Talents
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1) Dangerous The Paid Companion Deception