Start by marking “A Farm in the South Pacific Sea” as Want to Read:
A Farm in the South Pacific Sea

A Farm in the South Pacific Sea

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  10 reviews
An American business woman with three failed marriages and no children moves to the Kingdom of Tonga in the South Pacific to raise Spiny Lobster in the sea. She lives in a palm frond fale without electricity or running water, struggles against humanity and nature and learns about love. Set in Tonga in the late 1960s and early 1970s and based on the adventures of the author ...more
Published January 23rd 2011 by Plicata Press

To ask other readers questions about A Farm in the South Pacific Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Farm in the South Pacific Sea

Kai
The character June Sandusky is ahead of her time in a Farm in the South Pacific Sea. She traveled to the Kingdom of Tonga in the South Pacific Sea to start a lobster farm. She had to fight her way in a cultural where men are the breadwinners and the women are housewives literally. There on the island, she also has to confronted her past of three failed marriages and to discover what is love.

This is not a romance novel. It is about a woman who almost succeeded her dream but in the end found a big
Rick Bavera
This book is a fictionalized story of June, cousin of the author.

June sold all her assets and took the money and went to Tonga to try to begin a lobster farm, hoping to bring new skills and jobs to the island kingdom, which needed both in the late 1960s.

Along the way, she has good and bad experiences, and learns a lot about herself and people of a different culture.

The book is an honest one, and shows how difficult and rewarding it can be to be in a cross-cultural situation, especially when you
Cassaundra Aunna
OK, first let me tell you why I have not given this book a star. I didn't finish it. Plain and simple, that is the only reason I did not give it a star rating.

It sounds like an awesome story, but apparently it just isn't for me. I tried and TRIED to get into this one. I got through 50 pages, and was bored out of my mind, 100 pages came, and I was still bored, by the time I got around 110 pages, I just decided it would be better for me to put it down.

So, I am not saying anything bad about this
Kim
Interesting -- the main character travels abroad to set up a seafood farm. She's single and is vocal about her independence from men, yet she falls into various relationships with men throughout the book. The dissatisfaction she lives with in her life is self-inflicted. She's so independent, she enters relationship with selfish motives. Not once in the book did this work out well for her.

I enjoyed the rich description of life on an island. The various cultural practices/challenges that she encou
Pegysue
What made this book interesting to me is that it is based on real life events taken from the author's cousin's journals from the 1960's. It was quite an adventurous journey for a single woman to undertake at that time. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of the native people from the small islands where she went and where she eventually ended up living for a time. There are good guys and bad guys and a tender love story. I received this book from a Goodreads First reads giveaway.
Conny
Apr 05, 2012 Conny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody who enjoys strong women
Recommended to Conny by: First reader winner
Shelves: first-reads
Jan Walker took me on a wonderful adventure to the South Pacific Sea and beautifully described the struggles and adventures of June Sandusky. A women who is following her dream to open a lobster nursery in the Kingdom of Tonga, were it is not easy for a women alone to accomplish what she set out to do. She encountered many struggles but she succeeded in her dream and also met the love of her life. I highly recommend this book.
Sandy
To be an ambitious, independent female arriving in a male dominated kingdom to pursue a non-traditional career created the conflict.
How the conflict was resolved was the rest of the story and it was engaging. Part of the enjoyment of this fact based fiction was wondering whether or not what you had just read was fact or fiction.
Elizabeth
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed the story of Jan Walker's cousin. She went through so many hardships yet was determined to create her own path independently. Also after three failed marriages she ended up finding love. A beautiful story.
Knows
I have read it twice now. Maybe I'll read it again. A very interesting, exciting story well told with characters that are more than believable. Jan Walker is a terrific author.
an okay read. no really my type of book. Couldn't get into it. but others might like it.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Elizabeth de Moya
Elizabeth de Moya marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Amber Dickens
Amber Dickens marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2012
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2012
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
May 24, 2012
Yaritza
Yaritza marked it as to-read
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Pam Bruehl
Pam Bruehl marked it as to-read
Strong women. 1 2 Jun 21, 2012 07:52AM
The Whiskey Creek Water Company Dancing to the Concertina's Tune: A Prison Teacher's Memoir Romar Jones Takes a Hike An Inmate's Daughter Parenting From a Distance:Your Rights and Responsibilities