Start by marking “Yoga and Vegetarianism: The Path to Greater Health and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Yoga and Vegetarianism: The Path to Greater Health and Happiness

Yoga and Vegetarianism: The Path to Greater Health and Happiness

Drawing upon her studies of Vedic traditions, Sharron Gannon explores how the physical and spiritual practice of Yoga is historically and structurally tied to a vegetarian lifestyle. Integral to one another, both Yoga and Vegetarianism form a framework for physical and spiritual attunement, and when practiced as a whole provide engender an incomparably healthy lifestyle.
S
Published November 18th 2009 by Mandala Media (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga and Vegetarianism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga and Vegetarianism

Jodi
Jul 18, 2012 Jodi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-books
I read this book a few weeks after finishing 'The Yoga of Eating: Transcending Diets and Dogma to Nourish the Natural Self' by Charles Eisenstein. Wow, not only did the 'Yoga and Vegetarianism' book come off a second best, it was really more like 5832nd best.

Despite the title this is actually a book about strict veganism, not vegetarianism. The author comments again and again that eating milk products or eggs is no different at all to eating meat and so veganism is the only ethical choice no ma
Karli
May 18, 2010 Karli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was another worthwhile book in my discovery into the word of vegetarianism. For me the strongest arguments for vegetarian are environmental reasons and the author certainly does dedicate a section of her book to this. But I find the yoga arguments less compelling but maybe that is because I am still searching for my beliefs on the yoga/spiritual connection. Because my jury is still out about whether or not I believe that in praying to PEACE PEACE PEACE bring about PEACE into the world, I ther ...more
Vanessa
Jul 01, 2009 Vanessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
interesting how the ego creeps into even the most non-egoic practices, like yoga. gannon has an oversimplified view of what is ethical and of how one can ethically, lovingly, and nonviolently be in relationship with the animal and plant community and comes off as condescending and self-righteous. boo!
Grace Dadoyan
Jun 20, 2012 Grace Dadoyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, thought-provoking and concise book about the reasons to consider a vegan diet. Sharon Gannon does a beautiful job of presenting all the information in a spiritually-minded, non-judgmental way. Great for someone already vegan, the vegetarian considering veganism or anyone who is interested in learning more about why to eliminate animal products from your diet.
Alissa
Apr 03, 2011 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very smart & spiritual account of the ethics of veganism! i love this book and have so much gratitude to the author for spreading her message far & wide.
Jan 14, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the author has many good points about the unethical treatment of animals, I am not entirely convinced that consuming meat or dairy products is inherently wrong. I think the general practice of producing and consuming meat and dairy in this country is beyond evil, but there are degrees of consumption which are less evil, veganism being on the opposite end of the spectrum, with points in between being more or less evil. Hypocrisy was rampant in this book, with statements such as: yoga is a ...more
Brenda Feuerstein
Feb 06, 2009 Brenda Feuerstein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yoga and Vegetarianism is a hard hitting must-read book for all Yoga practitioners. I don't agree with her 'translation'(I use the word very loosely here) of Patajali's Yoga-Sutra but apart from that, the book is an incredible exploration into a world that humans tend to separate from their own. Sharon Gannon graces us with the formative stories from her childhood and early adult life that brought her to where she is today. Sharon obviously has a deep understanding of the world and exemplifies a ...more
Robin
Feb 18, 2010 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gannon makes some strong arguments in favor of a vegan lifestyle using Yogic texts (Patanjali). The tone is incredibly forceful, and everything is presented as black and white. I had trouble with the content about karma implying that there is balance in the world for past actions. "We must remember that all beings--including the animals [raised in factory farms:]--find themselves in their present situations due to past karmas (p. 109)." While I don't agree with all of Gannon's ideas, I support e ...more
Mo
Jul 06, 2009 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan-veg
I really got a lot out of this, much more so than I expected to. This little book does not pull any punches, but it also puts a spiritual spin on veganism that I can't combat with any of my tired old excuses. Eye opening and heart breaking...
Monika Reinhold
Jan 02, 2017 Monika Reinhold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a game changer for me. It was part of my yoga teacher training reading and also had to do a book report on it. No more animal meat for this girl mainly due to what I learned in thus book.
Sian Lile-Pastore
The cover of this book looks pretty light and fun, but inside its all pretty hard hitting. Also, this is actually about veganism and yoga rather than vegetarianism...
There are lots of pretty graphic descriptions about the meat and dairy industry - and to be honest, it was a bit much for me, and I would imagine a bit much for most people, especially if you'd come to this expecting yoga stuff. All of that aside (and I am vegan anyway, so yknow am in full agreement with what she's saying) the links
Jo
Jul 16, 2010 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I liked this book. I appreciate how yoga philosophy is applied to current life. And I think sone of her arguments for veganism are well thought out. I do take issue with the statement that humans are not evolutionarily omnivores. I studied anthropology in college, and can point out various biological markers that strongly suggest we are more meat eaters then chimps or gorillas and, for that matter, chimps hunt and eat meat. However, I do agree that it is possible for humans to be vegan ...more
Angela
Jun 15, 2013 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, vegan, health
It was ok. The author has some good points and writes the book from her heart. Unfortunately, she comes across as hard-headed and I found her preaching style a bit too much.

I appreciated what she was sayig and, as a vegan, definately agree with the principals but a kinder approach is my personal preference.

Anyone who has not tried vegetarianism/veganism could find this book quite off-putting.
Karen
Sep 21, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some problems with this book (mostly the author's delivery of material citing a source as "someone once told me") but otherwise this book actually changed my life. I went to a workshop led by Ms Gannon right after this book came out and it was such an affirming experience, even though many of the attendees were nearly combative with her over the book's topic.
Melodie
May 11, 2016 Melodie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had some good points. Very light hearted and informative in some ways. But I agree very black and white. It felt at times like I was getting talked at rather than getting an honest heartfelt opinion. To preachy for my taste.
Jaclyn Laigle
Really well written. A quick read with some great information. The yoga part got a little too out there for me, but the author makes some great points. Beneficial for anyone interested in the practice of yoga or vegetarianism separately or together. I definitely highly recommend it!
Julie
Jun 13, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
She contradicts herself in the epilogue. Confusing.
I was hoping for more about mental and physical health benefits. This was a political statement.
Jennifer Baum
I was excited about the idea of this book but it was pretty disappointing. Not very compelling. There are certainly better books about vegetarianism.
Jun 11, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a moving and motivational book. Some passages are difficult to get through if you're sensitive, but overall the book is deeply positive and empowering.
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Tango
Tango rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Ros
Ros rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Annick
Jun 30, 2014 Annick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
good philosophy, obnoxious delivery.
Holly Urban
Holly Urban rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2016
Giovanna Bogner
Giovanna Bogner rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Fiona
Fiona rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2010
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness
  • The Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide
  • We Animals
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge (New Edition): The Ultimate Guide to Eating Healthfully and Living Compassionately
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Heart Is Noble: Changing the World from the Inside Out
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities
  • The CAFO Reader: The Tragedy of Industrial Animal Factories
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee
  • Making Kind Choices: Everyday Ways to Enhance Your Life Through Earth- and Animal-Friendly Living
  • The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
  • The Path of the Yoga Sutras: A Practical Guide to the Core of Yoga
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self

“Don't wait for a better world. Start now to create a world of harmony and peace. It is up to you, and it always has been. You may even find the solution at the end of your fork.” 12 likes
“What we see in the world around us is just a reflection of what is inside of us.” 4 likes