Start by marking “Wilt, 1962: The Night of 100 Points and the Dawn of a New Era” as Want to Read:
Wilt, 1962: The Night of 100 Points and the Dawn of a New Era

Wilt, 1962: The Night of 100 Points and the Dawn of a New Era

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  22 reviews
On the night of March 2, 1962, in Hershey, Pennsylvania, right up the street from the chocolate factory, Wilt Chamberlain, a young and striking athlete celebrated as the Big Dipper, scored one hundred points in a game against the New York Knickerbockers.

As historic and revolutionary as the achievement was, it remains shrouded in myth. The game was not televised; no New Yor
Audio, 0 pages
Published April 5th 2005 by Random House Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wilt, 1962, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilt, 1962

Andrea Enzo Romano
alla fine troppi capitoli non incentrati su Wilt, ma neanche sulla nuova era......si tratteggiano tante cose, gli avversari di quella sera (Naulls, Imhoff, Guerin), i compagni (Arizin, Rodgers, Meschery), la cittadina di Hershey con le sue fabbriche di cioccolato, lo speaker (Zinkoff), il proprietario (Gottlieb), ma nella realtà il cambio epocale che porta con se il 2-3-1962 non viene così ben identificato e anche lo stesso Chamberlain sembra uscire più come un fenomeno da baraccone che come un ...more
Oliver Bateman
A reasonably good reconstruction of Chamberlain's famous game, with plenty of contextual details about other actors involved in this drama (Frank McGuire, Eddie Donovan, Al Attles, Darrall Imhoff, Richie Guerin, Tom Gola (who heard it on the radio), Paul Arizin, etc.). Pomerantz does his best to discuss what a pivotal moment in basketball history this game was, yet can't escape the fact that there's no surviving videotape; that the game took place in Hershey, PA in front of a tiny crowd; that ba ...more
David
I love this style of writing as Pomerantz tells the story of Wilt's big night by exploring all the people surrounding that unexpected evening in Hershey, from the kids who sneaked into front-row seats, to the photographer on a night off who raced to his car at the end of the third quarter to grab his camera.

Nothing much was expected out of this game at the time...the NBA was struggling to exist and this was a late-season game featuring two teams with no shot at winning their division. Only a co
Garrett Burnett
To some degree Wilt, 1962 is a biography of Wilt Chamberlain that centers on his famous 100-point game. Pomerantz also provides interesting details about the infancy and adolescence of professional basketball, race relations in the 1950s and 60s, the town of Hershey Pennsylvania (site of the Big Game), and Wilt's teammates and competitors.

I didn't come away feeling like I knew Wilt, though Pomerantz indicates throughout (especially via quotes from the Dipper's teammates), Wilt was a complicated
Tom Gase
I think I may have been a little too harsh on this book the first time I read it, but I re-read it for the 50th anniversary of Wilt's 100-point night and I liked it a lot better. Yes, the book steers completely too much away from the game at the start. There seems to be only two sentences about the first half of the game in the book during the first 100 pages. It was talking about the people involved in the game at that point and their past history, but don't go TOO far away from the book's main ...more
Clay Yearsley

I've read a couple other sports books with the same general style, "Game 6" about the 1975 World Series and "Three Nights in August" about a regular season series between the Cards and Astros. What those books do that this one doesn't (aside from hold my interest) is tell me something about the GAME. Sure, all of them want to put things in perspective and inform the reader about the world in which they are set. This book just goes from one person to the next, giving us a mini-biography on them.
Christopher Litsinger
This book sort of rambles around several themes: (1)Wilt Chamberlain and his life; (2)the racial integration of the NBA; (3)the change from a slower, feet on the ground game to the jumping game we watch today, largely credited to the first black players, including Wilt; (4) the actual 100 point game in Hershey; (5)the lives of the people who participated in the game including players, owners, coaches; (6) the town of Hershey; (7)I feel like I'm probably missing a few more here.
At first this ramb
Richard
The narrow focus of the book on this one game in Hershey prevents it from being truly memorable. That plus the fact the game was largely overlooked by contemporary media with no recorded game tapes (radio or TV) ever made, make for sparse source material. The game itself and the fouling at the end in particular are well done, but there is really only material for a decent magazine-size article here, not a book.

I didn't learn a whole lot because there isn't much to learn about the game except fr
Garth
A fun book for even the nominal Wilt Chamberlain fan. If you happen to be a big fan of The Dipper, this is a must-read. The additional drama involving the provenance of the ball used in the game is great fun. Wilt really did revolutionize basketball, and this book offers an entertaining, in-the-trenches perspective while serving up lots of tidbits about the supporting cast in the game including Darryl Imhoff, Al Attles, Guy Rodgers, Richie Guerin, Paul Arizin, Tom Gola... six or seven Hall of Fa ...more
Dave
The story jumps around quite a bit, with the overarching narrative being a detailed description of the game in which Wilt scored 100 points. But the author gives a vivid account of Wilt's personality and character. He tries to make the game stand as metaphor for the emergence of the black athlete (and black culture) in the USA, but at the same time he repeatedly alludes to the fact that the 100-point game drew little attention when it happened.
Steven Tarnok
I was very disappointed with this book. the book did not capture the life of the great basketball player, Wilt Chamberlain, but about his accomplishment of his record of scoring 100 points in a single basketball game, individually. I do give the book credit, for capturing the details of his record, though i feel as if stretching one concept on to 250 pages, it will bore the reader as it bored me. i do not recommend the book Wilt, 1962.
Kevin
Maybe I'm spoiled by the excellent sports writing of Mark Bowden and Michael Lewis, but I really found this book boring. The best of these kinds of books read like novels; this read like a series of clippings. Worst of all, through most of the book, the author is completely uncritical about Wilt's life. This could have been a lot better.
Joe
A very good narrative of the 100 point game in Hersey, Pa. But spun around the game is an insightful biography of Chamberlain, a overview of the early years of the NBA and a description of the players carrers on both teams. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about sports.
Dave Peticolas

Centered around the night Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a professional basketball game, but including signicant slices of history from before and after, this is a tremendous piece of sports writing.

Sean Hopkins
The story of Wilt Chamberlin scoring 100 points during an NBA game between the Philadelphia Warriors and Knicks in Hershey Pennslvania on March 2, 1962.
Pmacke
very good read; lots of fun facts: Like wilt made a ton of freethrows in this game and some fascinating stories about Hershey PA where the game was played
Goatville9
a fun read...best thing i remember is the story about the kid who ripped the ball from wilt's hands after the game.
Eric
A terrific account of the game, but a better look at the personalities and the era.
Rob Dhillon
A sports story for the ages...Wilt, the Big Dipper, is amazing in so many ways!
Courtney Milford
Good material but kind of repetitive in some parts.
Neal
Interesting, but could have been half as long.
Jose
Awesome. Good read
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Ray
Ray added it
Jun 14, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Rivalry: Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and the Golden Age of Basketball
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
  • Red and Me: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend
  • West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life
  • Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s
  • The First Clash: The Miraculous Greek Victory at Marathon and Its Impact on Western Civilization
  • Only the Strong Survive: The Odyssey of Allen Iverson
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Earl The Pearl: My Story
  • FreeDarko Presents: The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac: Styles, Stats, and Stars in Today's Game
  • Everything They Had: Sports Writing
  • The Whore of Akron
  • Life on the Run
  • Rebound: The Odyssey Of Michael Jordan
  • Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black
  • You Can't Catch Death
  • A Sense of Where You Are: Bill Bradley at Princeton
  • Pacific Rims: Beermen Ballin' in Flip-Flops and the Philippines' Unlikely Love Affair with Basketball
Their Life's Work: The Brotherhood of the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers, Then and Now Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn: A Saga of Race and Family The Devil's Tickets: A Vengeful Wife, a Fatal Hand, and a New American Age Nine Minutes, Twenty Seconds: A True Story of Tragedy and Triumph The Devil's Tickets: A Night of Bridge, a Fatal Hand, and a New American Age