Start by marking “The Spiritual Journey of Joseph L. Greenstein: The Mighty Atom, World's Strongest Man” as Want to Read:

So many of our fictional heroes, from Tarzan to James Bond, are variations on the superman theme. Here is the true story of a man who realized that myth: Joseph Greenstein, "The Mighty Atom". He was a modern-day Samson who could stop bullets and hold back roaring airplanes, a man who rose from the Jewish ghettos of Poland to become the most remarkable strongman of the ...more
Published March 1st 1998 by First Glance Books (first published October 30th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiritual Journey of Joseph L. Greenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiritual Journey of Joseph L. Greenstein

Oleg
Apr 04, 2016 Oleg rated it it was amazing
This is, hands down, THE most gripping, interesting biography I've ever read.

Granted, I haven't read all that many, but the story of Joe Greenstein made me go "holy shit" every 5 minutes as I was devouring the book. Literally couldn't put it down.

Full disclosure: 99% of everything you'll read inside this book will seem completely made-up. And yet there's ample evidence corroborating all of these wild tales.

E.g. Joe was shot in the head from 30 feet away with a .40 caliber handgun and survived (t
Sep 08, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Biography of an incredible man who became one of the greatest strongmen in performance history. The first half is an amazing story and excellently written. The second half sort of fizzles, which is unfortunate in the story of a man still able to perform all of the same feats at 80 that he could in his 20s. The copy I borrowed was simply called "The Mighty Atom", and I'm not sure I like the apparent re-titling in later editions. There is certainly a great emphasis on the concept of mind over ...more
Ben
Dec 07, 2013 Ben rated it it was amazing
A tiny review and a slightly longer comment.

Review: I loved this book!

Comment: In The Collected Stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer, there is a marvelous short story called "A Day in Coney Island." The story contains a paragraph wherein the narrator/protagonist describes the scene on the Coney Island board walk. It contains these lines:

"A half naked man with a black beard and hair to his shoulders hawked potions that strengthened the muscles, beautified the skin, and brought back lost sexual potenc
Martin
Jan 23, 2014 Martin rated it really liked it
I attended a strongman exhibition in my neighborhood, and after the show, I do what I usually do: I ask the performer for his bible, so I can learn and know. He said it was this book, so I read it. The book is not written in the Queen's English, and the author's fawning and slobbering and hyperbole cloud the proceedings and make one question the veracity of some of the stories. However, facts are facts, and this is simply the story of a marvelously incredible, integrity-filled, driven, ...more
alyssa carver
Aug 24, 2012 alyssa carver rated it liked it
this is a rather terribly written story of a super-interesting dude. a real life super-hero old-fashioned wackadoodle who lived through crazy times and had some epic adventures, generally embodying the american dream... an immigrant jew wandering mystic world-traveler circus & vaudeville performer health-guru exercise freak salesman oilman handyman scrapman strongman proto-hippie animal-loving father of ten... he's a completely unique self-made success story.
i just wish the book was a littl
Jim
Apr 17, 2016 Jim marked it as to-read
In 1981, Allentown PA, I spent many an enjoyable Saturday afternoon hanging out at Steve Novak's Magic Shop , the Magic Den. I recall Joe K and David Z talking about a short strongman the Mighty Atom who performed at the Allentown Fair.

It seems I am not the only one who has fond memories of Steve Novak and this time and place.

Loren Kantor
Oct 28, 2010 Loren Kantor rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. An authentic portrayal of a modern-day spiritual journey lived by a not-so ordinary "superman." Joseph Greenstein mastered mind over body. One of the last of the great 20th Century "strongmen," Greenstein's path shows that great feats of strength are achieved more by mental strength than brawn. For those yearning for a modern-day spiritual gem, this book must be read. Utterly inspiring.
Charles Lynch
Charles Lynch rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Michael A. Sherbon
Michael A. Sherbon rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Shane
Shane rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2007
Lenny
Lenny rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2011
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2008
Steph
Steph rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Bob
Oct 04, 2008 Bob rated it it was amazing
highly inspirational personal journey
we need this book back in print
Micah
Micah rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Ari margolies
Ari margolies rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Boa Warren
Boa Warren rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
J
J rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Andrew King
Andrew King rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Dee
Dee rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2013
Jeff Stanislawski
Jeff Stanislawski rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
George G Davis
George G Davis rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Kevin Mclaughlin
Kevin Mclaughlin rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2011
Joe Green
Joe Green rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Bernhard
Bernhard rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Matt Carl
Matt Carl rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2011