Start by marking “Notes from Underground” as Want to Read:
Notes from Underground

Notes from Underground

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  22,530 Ratings  ·  1,693 Reviews
Dostoevsky’s most revolutionary novel, Notes from Underground marks the dividing line between nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction, and between the visions of self each century embodied. One of the most remarkable characters in literature, the unnamed narrator is a former official who has defiantly withdrawn into an underground existence. In full retreat from society, ...more
Published March 4th 2006 by Vintage (first published 1864)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from Underground, please sign up.

James Spencer No, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his…moreNo, he's not literally living underground; he's not looking up through the cracks at the rest of the world. I think it is a metaphor for his alienation from society while existing on the fringes of that society. In other words I agree completely with your understanding of Dostoyevsky's use of the phrase.(less)

oh, dear. this is not a character that it is healthy to relate to, is it?? he is a scootch more pathetic than me, and more articulate, but his pettinesses are mine; his misanthropy is mine, his contradictions and weaknesses... i have to go hide now, i feel dirty and exposed...
Nate D
Apr 06, 2015 Nate D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who overthink, people who think.
Recommended to Nate D by: dfw
Shelves: read-in-2009, russia
1. Irritated by Underground Man.
2. Amused by Underground Man.
3. Sick of Underground Man.
4. Want to fly to St. Petersburg, travel back in time, and punch Underground Man right in the face.
5. Pity for Underground Man.
6. Horrified by Underground Man.
7. Further reading of Underground Man's monologue almost physically painful. I almost wanted to cover my eyes, but this would have posed problems for reading.
8. Glad to be free of the Underground Man, but glad to have known him, in the end.
More than anything, this book should make you think. And not about trivial shit either, but about big, important conditions of life and how best to view and react to them. I have "should" italicized in that first sentence for a reason: If you don't give yourself time to think -- if just skim through the book quickly -- then you won't get anything out of it.

It's narrated by a guy living underground, in poverty. You are reading his notes. The first half, his ramblings, thoughts and philosophies of
Dec 03, 2014 Nataliya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine 19th century Russian literature as a loud boisterous party. Here's Pushkin, basking in the center of attention, charming up all the ladies. Here are Chekhov and Gogol at the heart of a passionate intellectual argument. Here's Count Tolstoy, busily serving canapés while rejoicing in the pleasure of work, stopping only to chat about the pleasures of countryside with Turgenev.

But where's Dostoyevsky? Oh, there he is, sitting by himself in a dark corner, dead broke after a high-stakes cards
mark monday
Apr 18, 2016 mark monday rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to mark by: Andrew Schirmer
so I came across this guy at a party that I had known in college, many years ago. I remembered him clearly: that brilliant, pretentious guy with his stories and his sarcasm and his nihilism. our classmates mocked him and so did I, but I enjoyed him too. he was a funny fellow, entirely self-absorbed, smart and well-read and amusingly melodramatic in his comments about the world and his life; he wore his pathos blatantly, like some kind of robe or badge or shield. I always thought that was brave o ...more

Shall the world go to hell, or shall I not have my tea? I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.

Thus Spoke Dostoevsky

There were many things for me to get excited about after finishing this novella (It’s a trap!) but the first and an essentially timeworn image which appeared in my mind was that of a small child, sitting in a corner after being rebuked by an elder for giving little or no thought about the world with its countless complexities and contradictions around her.
Jan 01, 2016 Heba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
حُسن الختام لعام 2015 :)
كنت أمام شخصية من تلك الشخصيات التي صورتها عبقرية دستويفسكي ...عصّية على فهمها ولم اتمكن من فك الغازها أو فتح مغاليق أسرارها..
وهنا تكمن عبقرية الكاتب ...
رجل في الأربعين من عمره لا يسكن قبوه بل القبو من يمكث فيه...يحتمي فيه منعزلاً حانقاً من الانسانية بأسرها
لم يفارق ذاكرته كل صفعات الأهانة التي تلقاها في حياته ولم يقابلها إلا بالتمرد والسخط عليها..
و لم يلتفت اليه أحد يوماً أو يلتمس صداقته ..
يرى فى أعين الآخرين نظرة احتقار واذدراء لشخصه لذا ادعى الذكاء والوعى حد ما يُميزه
Helen Stavraki
May 05, 2016 Helen Stavraki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Κατεβείτε σε αυτό το ΥΠΟΓΕΙΟ- σας συμβουλεύω ανεπιφυλακτα να κατεβείτε. Θα συναντήσετε έναν αντί-ήρωα απομονωμένο,ευγενή,εγωκεντρικό που θα σας διαφωτίσει ως προς το παράδοξο και το τραγικό της ανθρώπινης ύπαρξης.
Η ελευθερία,η συναίσθηση,η αγάπη,η ανθρώπινη βούληση,το απρόβλεπτο και το αχάριστο της ανθρώπινης φύσης.

" Πρώτα πρώτα,δεν μπορούσα μα αγαπήσω,γιατι,το ξαναλέω,για μένα αγάπη θα πει να τυραννάς και να κυριαρχείς στην ψυχή του άλλου"

Με πολλή μαεστρία ο κάτοικος του υπόγειου μας εξηγεί π
Dec 25, 2009 Salma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
النسخة التي عندي مترجمة تحت عنوان "في سردابي" لعبد المعين الملوحي..._و هي معنونة في قبوي ترجمة سامي الدوربي و دار ابن رشد، أو الانسان الصرصار(أو رسائل من أعماق الأرض) في ترجمة ثالثة لا أدري لمن_ نسختي كانت _قبل أن أبيعها_ نسخة قديمة مصفرة الأوراق مطبوعة عام 1956... و قد اشتريتها من على بسطة الكتب القديمة...0

رواية عن رجل يتحدث عن نفسه بصيغة المتكلم قد قرف المجتمع و زيفه...0

هل أستطيع أن أدلي باعتراف صغير هنا... لطالما أحببت دوستويفسكي... لكن في روايته هنا أحسست به يعرفني منذ أمد بعيد

لا أحد يشك بأ
Paul Bryant
Apr 10, 2015 Paul Bryant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Literary Characters React to Notes from the Underground

This Accounts for a Good Deal. It Explains Everything. In Life, you see, we can't all, and some of us don't. Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry bush. This book is telling everybody “We can look for the North Pole, or we can play 'Here we go gathering Nuts in May' with the end part of an ants' nest. It's all the same to me." Amusing in a quiet way, but not really helpful.

Help, help! A hexistentialist! A horrible
Nov 12, 2012 Rowena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never be fooled by book size when it comes to Dostoevsky! This novella was just under 100 pages long so I figured it would take me just a couple of hours to read. I was obviously wrong but I enjoyed the read. The prose is extremely dense so I had to read it slower than I read other books. The protagonist was fascinating (peculiar, even) and I enjoyed reading his introspective thoughts about different issues. I will definitely be re-reading this one.
Nikos Tsentemeidis
Συγκλονιστικό!!! Το κατατάσσω στα κορυφαία έργα του Ντοστογιέφσκι μαζί με το Έγκλημα και τους Καραμάζοφ. Θυμίζει περισσότερο το δεύτερο, με διαφορά στον όγκο, που οφείλεται στην έλλειψη πλοκής. Το Υπόγειο, είναι ίσως από τα καλύτερα βιβλία Ψυχολογίας που έχουν γραφτεί ποτέ.

Γιατί με συγκλόνισε; Γιατί διάβασα σκέψεις που έχω ζήσει σαν έφηβος, όταν ακόμα δεν μπορούσα να τις εξηγήσω. Έχει απόλυτο δίκιο ο Νίτσε όταν λέει: «Ο μόνος που μου έμαθε κάτι για την ανθρώπινη ψυχολογία ήταν ο Ντοστογιέφσκι».
MJ Nicholls

“ . . . we’ve all grown unaccustomed to life, we’re all lame, each of us more or less. We’ve even grown so unaccustomed that at times we feel a sort of loathing for real “living life,” and therefore cannot bear to be reminded of it. For we’ve reached a point where we regard real “living life” almost as labor, almost as service, and we all agree in ourselves that it’s better from a book. And why do we sometimes fuss about, why these caprices, these demands of ours? We ourselves don’t know why
Shivam Chaturvedi
You see, this man Dostoyevsky calls you witness to a killing, a killing that he himself intends to perform. You are apprehensive, frightened even, but you walk in nevertheless. There in front of you lies this despondent figure of a man whom this convener intends to slaughter. Settled in rather uncomfortably, you prepare for the death blow to fall. But it doesn't; the victim is not shown the mercy of an easy execution.

Instead Dostoyevsky strangles him, squeezes the very life out of him. And he do
Ahmed Oraby
Dec 02, 2014 Ahmed Oraby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
حسنًا حسنًا، دويستويفسكي العظيم من جديد
هذا الرجل المحير للغاية مرة أخرى، يجذبك بأسلوبه وبكلماته العميقة البسيطة، في آن واحد، لتكمل قراءة الرواية لآخرها.
رواية أخرى لا يسعنى بعد الفراغ منها إلا أن أقف مشدوهًا أمام قدرة هذا العبقري
ها هنا، يتجلى دوساويفسكي في أبهى صوره؛ في صورة الفيلسوف، بالطبع.
صدقًا، هذا الرجل ملئ بالمفاجآت، فلرواياته طعم خاص ولون مغاير للغاية، عن أي ما ستقرأ مستقبلًا
ولرواياته ألوان عديدة ومختلفة، فقلما تجده يكرر نفسه وأسلوبه.
عند أول عهدي به، مع روايته الجريمة والعقاب، ما وسعني إلا
Glenn Russell
Aug 21, 2014 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dostoevsky leads us into the deepest recesses of human consciousness, a mire of stinky sewers, feted pits and foul-smelling rat holes -- . novel as existential torment and alienation. Do you envision a utopia founded on the principals of love and universal brotherhood? If so, beware the underground man. And what is it about the underground? Well, ladies and gentlemen, here are several quotes from the text with my comments:

"I would now like to tell you, gentlemen, whether you do or do not wish to
Oct 01, 2014 Arnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone paying attention
When I read it at the height of my existential angst college days, I felt I had never identified with a character so strongly. I don't underline books, this might be the only one, I underlined about 90% of it.

اعطي هذا الكتاب 5 نجمات لما قدمه ديستويفيسكي من تصوير رائع لحياة هذا الإنسان المسكين المغلوب علي أمره في هذا العصر
فهذا الإنسان كما قال ديستويفيسكي موجود في كل مكان
حولنا دائماً نراه كثيراً كضحية لعصر أصبح الإنسان فيه مثل الألة التي لا شعور فيها ولا إحساس
هذا الإنسان المسكين الذي يرسل لنا مذكراته من تحت الأرض
مثله كمثل الحشرات تحيا تحت اقدامنا تهرب من مكان لمكان بلا انتماء ولا أمان ولا هدف
فقط حياتها في الهروب
حتي الهروب من الأفكار والأحلام وحتي محاولة الهروب من تحقيق الأحلام أو تحقيق
أي سعادة في
Sara Alaee
Obsessive, sick, horrific, painful… Did I like it?!...Should I like it?!...
Dostoyevsky depicts one of the most disturbing and unsettling images of a human being in this book. I don’t get it!… Not that I don’t get what he says. I do!… It’s just that I don’t want to see the world through a lens of despair that presents a disillusioned version of reality. “If the heightened consciousness showers one with agony and self-loathing, frustration and humiliation, then what is ignorance!?” I clearly don’t
Aug 16, 2015 Amir rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
ایدههایی ناآزموده در باب کتابی که هرگز نمیتوانم تمامش کنم

فقط تا صفحهی 120 تونستم پیش برم. شاید اگه سه چهار سال پیش بود با سماجت پیش میرفتم. اما این روزها زمانم کمتر از چیزی هست که بخوام سر سماجت تلفش کنم

تقسیمبندی رمان بسیار خیرهکنندهست. عنوان بخش اول -تاریکی- طعنهای هست به دنیای امیدوار عصر روشنگری و عنوان فصل دوم -روی برف نمناک- گریزی زده به پروژهی مخالفخوان اون روزهای عصر روشنگری؛ یعنی رمانتیسم. شخصیت اصلی رمان تکافتادهی منفعلی هست که از فضای فکری پیرامون خودش احساس تشنج میکنه. هیچ اندیشهای
"Because I only like playing with words, only dreaming, but, do you know, what I really want is that you should all go to hell. That is what I want. I want peace; yes, I'd sell the whole world for a farthing, straight off, so long as I was left in peace."

I ponder his words as I sit in his disturbed and confused underground mind, this mind supposedly brilliant, yet also a heap of self-destruction; these words which offer some profundity, some lackluster chit-chatter. It makes me consider how we
'Ah, gentlemen! What will become of your will once the whole business ends up with tables and arithmetic, when only twice two is four is in demand? Twice two will make four without my willing it. So much for your will!'
(p. 29)
Jan 14, 2016 Ümit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kompleksli insanların komplekslerini ya körelten ya artıran, kompleksli olmadığını düşünen insanları ise kompleksli yapan, muhteşem ve acayip roman."

demişim, ilk okuduğumda. 2011 senesiydi o zamanlar ve ne ben bendim, ne de ben bendim. Geçenlerde Nadir Sarıbacak'ın harika bir şekilde canlandırdığı karakteri bir kez de sahnede izledikten sonra, yeniden okudum kitabı. Pek değişmemiş. Kitap yani. Ama hissettiklerim farklılaşmış. Onlar bana kalsın.

Bu metnin hakiki gücü, 150 yıl önce bile, günümüzd
Apr 14, 2016 Matilda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο του Ντοστογιεφσκι που διαβάζω και έχω μείνει έκπληκτη αρχικά απο το πόσο επίκαιρος ειναι και κατα δεύτερον από την τεράστια γνώση που φαίνεται να έχει για την ανθρώπινη ψυχη και συμπεριφορά. Κάποιες φορές κατά τη διάρκεια της ανάγνωσης τρομαζα απο το πόσο σημερινές μου φαίνονταν οι σκέψεις του πρωταγωνιστή, ενώ το βιβλίο γράφτηκε πριν πάνω απο 150 χρονια! Ανυπομονώ να διαβάσω και άλλα εργα του!
زهراء الموسوي
لا أحد يجرؤ على تعرية النفس البشرية وتبيان قبحها ودناءتها مثلما يفعل دوستويفسكي
Islam Salem
May 17, 2016 Islam Salem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب عجيب غريب عبارة عن مذكرات واحد مريض بإحتقاره و كرهه لنفسه و لكل اللي حواليه و دايماً بيستمتع بتعذيب أي حد بيتعامل معاه حتى ليزا البنت اللي بيحبها .

الغريب في ديستوڤيسكي هو القدرة الغير طبيعية على الوصف التفصيلي للحالة النفسية للبطل اللي مش عارفين أسمه و اللي ساعات بيوصل لحد الملل بس ده لا يمنع إنه بيخليك تحس ببطل الرواية كأنه عايش جواك بالضبط و ده بالإضافة إلى خفة دم البطل رغم كآبته و حزنه و إستمتاعه بجلد ذاته طول الرواية ، حاجة تانية ألا و هي إني أعتقد إن أسلوب زي ديستوڤيسكي بالتأكيد حيبقى
Elham Kharidar
I am a man. I am forty. I am sick. My soul is sick. My thought is sick. My conscience is sick. My desires are suppressed. I am undesirable. I am unchangeable. I am unrecognizable. I am nothing. I am a typical man. I fell in love twice. I fell in love because of ennuie. I am not social. I inhabit my literary world. I hate my stupid friends. I suffer.

And, indeed, I will ask on my own account here, an idle question: which is better—cheap happiness or exalted sufferings? Well, which is better?

I am a despicable woman...I am a jealous woman. I am a greedy woman. I believe my brain is sick from all the ill thoughts I silently stash in its dankest recesses, hiding them from the judgemental eyes of the polite society. I subsist on a diet of antidepressants and multivitamins. I feel bored and lonely in this sea of people. I am sad often. I cry.
“For a woman, all resurrection, all salvation, from whatever perdition, lies in love; in fact, it is her only way to it.”

I desperately feel the ne
Franco  Santos
Aug 06, 2015 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memorias del subsuelo es el primer libro que leo de Fyodor Dostoyevsky. El autor me hizo descender hasta los lugares más recónditos, oscuros y humillantes del espíritu humano. Escarba en la mugre que todos poseemos, en ese polvo que tapa lo que no dejamos salir.

El libro está narrado en primera persona por un hombre cuyo nombre nunca se revela, solo se sabe que tiene 40 años, fue funcionario y vive apartado de la sociedad entre las sombras de su propia mente. Un solipsista paranoico a quien la l
Feb 28, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: civilization's discontents
Shelves: favorites
Dostoevsky's Underground Man promises to be the life of any party.

Over the course of this thin little book, the unnamed protagonist swirls through self-conscious agonies and flights of egotism, never afraid to contradict himself or lay bare his own self-loathing. One part book-bound Don Quixote, and one part George Costanza, this insecure little bureaucrat rages against his lot as one of the rabblement, but is completely impotent to meaningfully exercise his will. Through the intellectual labyri
  • The Overcoat and The Nose
  • The Collected Stories
  • Seven Who Were Hanged
  • Envy
  • The Eye
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books I-II
  • The Case of Comrade Tulayev
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...

“I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.” 1909 likes
“I swear to you gentlemen, that to be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness.” 715 likes