Start by marking “1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse” as Want to Read:
1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Artists and crafters have always been recyclers, but for many, it has not only become a thrifty choice, it has become a moral imperative. 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse contains a cutting edge collection of the most inventive work being made with re-used, upcycled, and already existing materials. The work in this book ranges from clever and humble personal accessories to un ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse

Minus one star for the poor and confusing set-up of the book - instead of including information (materials used, methods, et cetera) about each project with the photo, said information is confined to a tiny index at the back of the book, making reading up on the projects way more trouble than it's worth. I'm also perplexed as to what guidelines were in place for the "reuse, remake, restyle, recycle, renew" aspect - many pieces were obviously created from brand-new materials purchased explicitly ...more
Written by my friend Garth Johnson and including several of my one-of-a-kind handspun yarns, 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse is a reduce-reuse-recycle'ers dream. Page after page of art and craft by some of the most, well, creative folks in Humboldt County, California, this coffee table tome will inspire the re-maker in you to turn discards into useful and beautiful items. But don't think you'll get instructions or how-to's: this book is strictly a photographic compendium of inspiration only; you'l ...more
Heather Moss
Too much repetition within the book (multiple similar items by the same designer), and in many cases, I've seen so many similar things on etsy and at craft fairs that these things cease to look fresh to me. I was most impressed with some of the clothing.
This was about a 3.5 rating. There are some very clever and amazing crafty things pictured in the book. but I was stymied by some book layout issues.

The premise of this "all photos" book is to present items "remade" from something used for another purpose previously, in some manner remade, restyled, recycled or renewed. The book meets the need of the newish "upcycling" movement.
The number "1000" in the book's title is misleading since there are definite repeats, but I guess the author was aimin
I have long since forgotten why I picked up this book, but I'm sure glad I didn't buy it. Some items look to be made from fully brand-new materials, so I question the strictness of the definition of "reuse, remake, restyle, recycle, renew." The concept of "Man Crafts" sharing pages with "Geek" stuff is laughably outdated thinly veiled misogyny. The vision of the book was jumbly, far too many of the crafts depended on a " collage of garbage " aesthetic, none of the photos are big enough to show e ...more
Fun to look at, but really you could get the same effect browsing through Etsy. In fact, a lot of the artists in this book are on Etsy. I did really like the "Art" section that showed some interesting stuff.
This is NOT a how-to book, so you need some knowledge of materials and methods if you want to make any of the projects shown, or refer to instructions elsewhere. That said, this book is simply amazing. It ranges from simple coasters made of album covers to elaborate art pieces requiring metalworking skills and everything in between. It features sections on paper crafting, couture and soft goods, jewelry and adornments, geek craft and "man craft" (???), housewares and furnishings, and art and ins ...more
Good for inspiration, & browse through if you find yourself struggling to see things in new ways. Some of the "1000 ideas" are things we've seen before ( do we really need more typewriter-key jewelry? ), but some are actually innovative. The lack of description is frustrating....materials are listed in the index in the back, but it should not have unduly influenced design if that information were included on the page with the pictures, and would have been much more helpful, as would some not ...more
Taryn Brittany
This book caught my eye because of the interesting cover. Also, I'm a big fan of browsing on sites like to see creative ways that people have reused everyday items.

I finished the book in one sitting! Besides the 2 page introduction, there weren't a lot of words in this book. The 1000 images are presented along with the name of the creator and where they are from. The images are organized into 6 chapters (though the author admits many of the items overlap categories):
-Paper, Collage, &a
Just a catalog

Just a catalog

Unless your looking for a catalog, I don't recommend this. This is not an art instruction book. It's browsing pictures of things people made including where you can shop for tier items.
This amazing collection of creative ways to reuse old stuff was a real kick to my creative impulses. The author arranges the creations in groups by material or theme, such as "Paper, Collage & Assemblage" and "Geek Craft & Man Craft," though there are some artists who end up in each category for one reason or another. The arrangements on the pages are very clever and works of art in themselves, sometimes for color, sometimes for shapes. Of course, there are the crazy things like a tin f ...more
Not much to read, but it has several pictures of my artwork in it that make it worth the cover price.
Some cool ideas but many looked like they required a lot of non recycled materials.
Plenty of ideas as described in the title (though not exactly 1000 since there are similar items that are duplicates).

While the projects certainly involved DIY for the maker, don't expect this to be a DIY book with instructions or material listings. This is purely a "look book" of sorts for inspiration.

Good for people who might like the look at DIY, but not necessarily interested in doing it themselves (each photo does list the maker, and their company), or for those already who have some DIY
reuse and make its for object photography, like it!!
What great book! So artistically amazing - I got so many great ideas from it. I would definitely recommend it to people who love arts & crafts.The book contains only photos, no craft instructions. It is more like an arts & crafts exhibit showing creative works from artists all over the world. Just to give you an idea: Necklace made from cards, barbie parts (face/lips) necklaces, table cloth made of Splenda packages, handbags made out of zippers...You get the idea - it's really epic!
neat things, thought it would be a little different than this though
I picked this book up from the library (alright I made the order it and then picked it up) and I really liked it! Most "recycling other stuff for crafts" books give detailed instructions on how the project can be redone. I don't always like that because it takes away from the creative process. This book has relatively no words in it at all. Page after page of images with the artist's name and country equals 1000 IDEAS, not 1000 projects you should copy. Bravo.
I'm a big upcycling fan and expected this book to be chuck filled with was to reuse items. Instead I found it was just full of pictures of things people have made with no description as to how just the pictures of the item and the name of the creator. I cannot imagine a practical use for owning this book.

I think the person who complied this book was a little too focused of quantity and not focused enough on quality.
I was very disappointed with this book! The title was exactly what the book was... ideas for creative reuse... but unfortunately there were no descriptions on materials or methods used! This pic is just 1000 pictures of (albeit fantastic)"Creative reuse" I would reccomend this to experienced mixed media artists and craftsters, but not to anyone who wants to learn how to actually do this type of art.
Beautiful art as well as useful items made by repurposing items. Many many artists are respresented in this book. It was fun to look through and see how really creative people can be. Very inspiring book. Makes me want to look at things a bit differently. A wonderful resource for artists or those who just want to be inspired and amazed.
Hey, you know the point of making a book of "ideas" for creative reuse? Actually including the ideas.

How about when you put pictures of 1000 different upcycled projects, you actually tell us what is being upcycled, rather than making us flip continuously back and forth to an appendix?

Waste of valuable reading time.
I picked this book out from the library by the title. I was hoping for more every day type reuse ideas. This book is geared to artists and has cutting edge type crafts. The format is different with all the pictures in the front and descriptions for each picture in the back.
This was really fun to look at. It wasn't quite what I expected though--I thought I was getting a book of projects ideas with instructions and materials lists. Nevertheless, there are some really really cool ideas in here that I'm going to have to keep in mind.
Not particularly well-curated selection of the thousands (maybe millions at this point) of of images of this kind you can see on etsy or pinterest. Don't bother unless you want a coffee table book for an extremely uninspired friend.
A book of creative inspiration.
Cool. Neat inspiration. If you are really crafty and want some new ideas, flip through this. I was hoping it would be a how-to and I could attempt some of the projects, but it's more of a catalog.
Visually stunning! My favorite section is the "art, installations & interiors" where I particularly enjoyed David Edgar's "Plastiquarium" - recycled clothes detergent containers!
More like a paper Etsy treasury than a book. Decent for a flip-through of photos of stuff made of other stuff, not so much for inspiring ideas, really.
This was a pretty cool book, especially for people who love a style that is a little alternative and independent. Lots of amazing creative ideas.
  • Eco Craft: Recycle Recraft Restyle
  • Warm Fuzzies: 30 Sweet Felted Projects
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  •  Cute Dolls
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Keepsakes, Trinkets
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Crafty Chica's Guide to Artful Sewing: Fabu-Low-Sew Projects for the Everyday Crafter
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Alternacrafts: 20+ Hi-Style Lo-Budget Projects to Make