Start by marking “Underground” as Want to Read:
Underground

Underground

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  13 reviews
David Macaulay takes us on a visual journey through a city's various support systems by exposing a typical section of the underground network and explaining how it works. We see a network of walls, columns, cables, pipes and tunnels required to satisfy the basic needs of a city's inhabitants.
Published September 29th 1976 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

Frank Chen
Fascinating peek under the surface

clearly explained, painstakingly and beautifully illustrated. David Macaulay has a lot of respect for the people who plan, build and maintain our infrastructure and it shows on every page.

Thom Foolery
Another reviewer commented that this book is not as interesting as Macaulay's other work on cathedrals, pyramids, etc., because the subject matter in this book is too contemporary. My thoughts are almost diametrically opposed. I think castles, pyramids, etc., while definitely fascinating, are interesting insofar as they are irrelevant to 21st century existence. As for the mundane marvels detailed in this book, though, we would be lost without them, and Macaulay reminds us of that uncomfortable f ...more
Kristy Lange
David Macaulay's architectural background shines through in his book Underground. Underground reveals how a city functions through unique cut-away views of the life below the pavement. This book entertains with hidden pictures, unexpected vantage points, impeccable research, and phenomenal perspective work. Any reader is bound to learn something about the way cities work from Underground.
If I could, I would have all of David Macaulay’s “how things work” books in my classroom library. His attent
Kayla Satterly
The book Underground has drawings and illustrations that describe the subways, sewers, building foundations, telephone and power systems, columns, cables, pipes, tunnels, and the other underground elements of a large city. The author explains how the different underground systems of the city work. He explains that all of these things are necessary for a city to have. I think this would be very useful in the classroom because you can show students what is underneath them and all the different thi ...more
Anton
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I went back and tracked it down at a local flea market. Shows the inner workings (albeit a bit dated) of a city, how the sewers systems work, how we get electricity, how we build buildings... The illustrations are wonderful and draw you in. A must for any budding architect, or anyone who loves cities in general.
Amy
Wonderfully voyeuristic! I was fascinated by what's happening below us; this is an excellent work for 4th-8th graders.
St-Michel
My least favourite of the Macauly ink books, perhaps because it's present day material. I don't know. What's beneath our streets just isn't as fascinating to a kid as a castle. Storm drain or portcullis...you decide.
Jeff
this book has some amazing drawings of what a city would look like if you viewed them from beneath the street. i was actually able to explain to my project manager what a slurry wall was because of this book.
P. Es
utterly changed my life. lambasted my adolescence along w/skinny puppy and Gustav Dore'. Esoterics of the human-ecosystem.
Bill
The book of Macaulay's I like the least, which still makes it very good.
Patrick
Did not enjoy this as much as Castle and Cathederal.
Matt DeMay
Excellent illustrations, learned a lot!
Tomothy
Tomothy marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Leland William
Leland William marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Reuben Woodruff
Reuben Woodruff marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Sarah added it
Nov 29, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Liubov
Liubov marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • Arms & Armor
  • The Works: Anatomy of a City
  • Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule
  • Incredible Cross-Sections (Stephen Biesty's Cross-sections)
  • A Boy Called Slow
  • Harriet Tubman, Secret Agent: How Daring Slaves and Free Blacks Spied for the Union During the Civil War
  • The Devil and Daniel Webster and Other Writings
  • Skippack School
  • A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
  • Rocks in His Head
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • Theras and His Town
  • Thunder Rolling in the Mountains
  • Tree in the Trail
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...
Black and White Castle The Way Things Work The New Way Things Work Cathedral: The Story of Its Construction