Start by marking “Underground” as Want to Read:
Underground

Underground

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
David Macaulay takes us on a visual journey through a city's various support systems by exposing a typical section of the underground network and explaining how it works. We see a network of walls, columns, cables, pipes and tunnels required to satisfy the basic needs of a city's inhabitants.
Published September 29th 1976 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

Frank Chen
Mar 01, 2014 Frank Chen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating peek under the surface

clearly explained, painstakingly and beautifully illustrated. David Macaulay has a lot of respect for the people who plan, build and maintain our infrastructure and it shows on every page.

Ben Eggleston
Apr 03, 2015 Ben Eggleston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful combination of text and drawing. The topic is everything below buildings and city streets - foundations, sewer lines, water lines, subways, natural-gas lines, etc. The author explains how these things are planned, laid out, and built, and uses drawings to show what he is talking about. The drawings are only sketches, but they show exactly what the text talks about, including exactly the right details, with perfect perspective. This is a very enjoyable way to learn about ...more
Jason
Another reviewer commented that this book is not as interesting as Macaulay's other work on cathedrals, pyramids, etc., because the subject matter in this book is too contemporary. My thoughts are almost diametrically opposed. I think castles, pyramids, etc., while definitely fascinating, are interesting insofar as they are irrelevant to 21st century existence. As for the mundane marvels detailed in this book, though, we would be lost without them, and Macaulay reminds us of that uncomfortable f ...more
Kristy Lange
Apr 15, 2013 Kristy Lange rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Macaulay's architectural background shines through in his book Underground. Underground reveals how a city functions through unique cut-away views of the life below the pavement. This book entertains with hidden pictures, unexpected vantage points, impeccable research, and phenomenal perspective work. Any reader is bound to learn something about the way cities work from Underground.
If I could, I would have all of David Macaulay’s “how things work” books in my classroom library. His attent
David Syzdek
Mar 01, 2015 David Syzdek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic explaination of what goes on under the streets of a city with amazing pencil drawings of foundations, sewers, and even the alligators within.
Zack
May 30, 2015 Zack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet drawings! I may have to check out more of his works.
Kayla Satterly
The book Underground has drawings and illustrations that describe the subways, sewers, building foundations, telephone and power systems, columns, cables, pipes, tunnels, and the other underground elements of a large city. The author explains how the different underground systems of the city work. He explains that all of these things are necessary for a city to have. I think this would be very useful in the classroom because you can show students what is underneath them and all the different thi ...more
Anton
Dec 16, 2007 Anton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I went back and tracked it down at a local flea market. Shows the inner workings (albeit a bit dated) of a city, how the sewers systems work, how we get electricity, how we build buildings... The illustrations are wonderful and draw you in. A must for any budding architect, or anyone who loves cities in general.
Amy
Apr 29, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully voyeuristic! I was fascinated by what's happening below us; this is an excellent work for 4th-8th graders.
St-Michel
Jun 21, 2008 St-Michel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1993, own
My least favourite of the Macauly ink books, perhaps because it's present day material. I don't know. What's beneath our streets just isn't as fascinating to a kid as a castle. Storm drain or portcullis...you decide.
Jeff
Oct 03, 2007 Jeff rated it really liked it
this book has some amazing drawings of what a city would look like if you viewed them from beneath the street. i was actually able to explain to my project manager what a slurry wall was because of this book.
P. Es
Jul 08, 2007 P. Es rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: locationx3
utterly changed my life. lambasted my adolescence along w/skinny puppy and Gustav Dore'. Esoterics of the human-ecosystem.
Tim Robinson
Oct 20, 2015 Tim Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engineering
A coffee table book for teenagers about the foundations and services under every city.
Bill
Nov 27, 2007 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007, fiction
The book of Macaulay's I like the least, which still makes it very good.
Patrick
Jun 14, 2009 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Did not enjoy this as much as Castle and Cathederal.
Matt DeMay
Dec 19, 2013 Matt DeMay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent illustrations, learned a lot!
Gavin Smith
May 18, 2013 Gavin Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
COOL!
Dana Kampman
Dana Kampman marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Ravi Mody
Ravi Mody rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Melissa Wilson
Melissa Wilson marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Michelle Perez
Michelle Perez rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
John Konrad
John Konrad rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Debbie Ladd
Debbie Ladd rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
maryly czarnecki
maryly czarnecki marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Itbeginswithanidea
Itbeginswithanidea rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Peter Fox
Peter Fox marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Billybobjoe
Billybobjoe marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Works: Anatomy of a City
  • Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections
  • Farmer George Plants a Nation
  • A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison
  • Pocahontas: True Princess: A Young Girl's Breathtaking Story and Her Amazing Journey to Faith in God
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Medieval Knight!: Armor You'd Rather Not Wear
  • A Boy Called Slow
  • Inside the Titanic: A Giant Cutaway Book
  • Harriet Tubman, Secret Agent: How Daring Slaves and Free Blacks Spied for the Union During the Civil War
  • Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier!: A War You'd Rather Not Fight
  • Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule
  • William Shakespeare & the Globe
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...