Claws

Claws

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  22 reviews
I'd like to give special thanks to Jason Merrick for the great cover.

Alcorn Pet Food Corporation is working with an experimental cat food laced with hormones and appetite enhancers. The special food causes cats to add muscle, gain weight, and exhibit extremely aggressive behavior. When an employee threatens to expose the pet food as a threat to public safety, she finds h...more
Published (first published December 28th 2010)

Laura Thomas
When will they learn? Someone always thinks they can tamper with Mother Nature and it inevitably ends up with bloodshed and death.

The pet food company knows something’s wrong with their product, but the side affects to the cats opens another door. A door with big dollars, when several other countries want the formula for their own.

When the animal rights activists free the cats, they have no idea of the repercussions. These aren’t your ordinary house cats anymore. They are much larger, packed wit...more
Sheila Myers
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I suggest you ignore any of the negative reviews you might have read. Ricky Sides did a remarkable job of putting a new twist on an old story. I've read quite a few books about government projects aimed at developing new weapons for combat, but Mr. Sides thought of an idea that is so unique I can't find an adequate word for a description. Throughout the story, he keeps the reader in suspense by developing plots in which you aren't sure who are the good guys and...more
DoodlePanda
In short this story is about genetically changing cats through the cat food to make them stronger, bigger and more aggressive. This goes wrong of course, as some animal activists frees the cats from the testing facility and they start attacking humans.
I found this book a good read. It wont be on my top 10 books of all times, but definitely worth reading. It definitely had some suspense and gets you thinking about the cleverness of messing too much with mother nature as it might come back to hau...more
T.L. Bodine
I picked up "Claws" as a free Kindle download the first day I got my new Kindle. I was drawn to it by the cover art, and the description made me giggle so I figured I'd give it a go. The story was everything I was expecting: The book equivalent of a Sy-Fy Original feature.

The basic premise of the story is that a pet food company, Alcorn, has an experimental feed laced with some sort of growth hormone that causes insatiable hunger, rapid growth, and violent aggression. The test subjects, a group...more
John
Well, for starters, this book was not what I was expecting. When I read the synopsis about killer cats, I assumed it was going to be spoof. It's not, this is a straight thriller novel about killer cats. It wasn't bad, and it kept my attention. There were several references to sexual encounters which didn't really add anything to the story, and could easily have been done without.

I guess my biggest disappointment with the book was the ending. (view spoiler)...more
Jean Booth
I liked the disclaimer the author wrote. That more than anything else, set the scene for me for how this book was going to go. The premise of Claws was fantastic! Food that makes cats grow and turn into viscous man-eating beasts- awesome!
I have 8 cats myself and had to hug each and every one of them when I finished reading this book. I can definitely envision Ida Malone as me in the future! lol!
I loved the scene with the two advocates after they "rescued" all the cats- so disgustingly perfect!...more
Olethros
-El encanto de la serie B.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Una empresa de alimentación para animales de compañía está diseñando un nuevo producto. Patricia Reese está al frente de la División de Investigación de la compañía y ni la presión del propio presidente de la corporación hará que Patricia otorgue su visto bueno a una fórmula experimental que durante las pruebas ha demostrado aumentar el tamaño, fuerza muscular y agresividad de los gatos que lo han consumido, por lo que la emp...more
Mike
Here Kitty, Kitty

When we think of Monsters, what springs to mind is the Eight Legged Furry Demon that lives under your bed (which reminds me, I must buy a Futon)

The Monster is evil and therefore must be destroyed before it get us, but imagine if Tiddles your precious little ball a lovely purriness that sometimes used to stratch your sideboards and cough up fur balls, now Imagine it's tearing at your throat and coughing up part of your face, well, that is what happens in this novel, it's fiendish...more
Fabián A.
Spoilers ahead! You are bewared.

Great, great, great book! With a few exceptions of chapters, a good page turner book. I enjoyed it, Ricky is a great writer, he mixed the perfect amount of action, horror, romance and suspense in this wonderful story. The ending was perfect! I laughed a lot reading the chapter where Talbot is killed by the... Secret service former prostitute? Oh man I love this book :D It has very clever moments. I felt like watching a really good horror movie.
Jon Silva
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Sides, inspired by his love of cats, wrote a great story that hooks you from the beginning and keeps you going until the end. The characters are genuine, adding more to the story than the sum of their parts.

This is a well written story and a real page turner. I look forward to reading more books by Ricky Sides.
Kittykorn
wow i loved this book, its a bit freaky with the killer cats, made me almost nervous of my own cats lol, but it is a brill thriller, i came across it through amazon, a free download, i recommend this book highly, loved every minute of it, kept me turning pages i didnt want to put my kindle down, pick it up and give it a go
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This was sort of King Kong meets Cats version! To be honest this could have been very cheesy and it was not. I enjoyed the fighting scenes and I also liked the storyline. I also liked the fact that you don’t have to be a cat lover to appreciate the book since I am a dog lover and not so much cats!
Patt Lisenbee
This is an intense book - do not read after dark or in the presence of cats! A very scary, could happen scenerio that makes you look at your furred friend in an entirely new life - a weapon of war. Be prepared for thrills, chills and downright scares, and I do not scare easily!
Kimberly
I laid in my bed at night and read this book with five cats snuggled up to me. This book terrified me in more than one way. I gave it four stars because I'm not thrilled with the ending. Also, he needed to proofread.
Weirdology
I was attracted to Claws because of the crazy awesome cover. The cat looks exactly like one of my cats, minus the red eyes. I recommend this book to cat lovers who also have a dark sense of humor.
Paul Collado
Enjoyed,the read

it's like The Birds from Hitchcock meets cats but without the happy ending. a good fast read and pretty cat gory
Tanya
Totally cool and creepy. Having had many cats in my time, I could picture the scenarios very well. Can't help but keep glancing at my cats with a little trepidation now!
Jenni
For being a free download, this was a surprisingly good read. Interesting story, good characters. A bit like a so bad it's good film, but that made it more enjoyable.
Alan
I never liked cats before but I bloody hate them now. Couldn't put this book down, fast moving & a fair bit of action too. A great read.
Leah
a really good story believeable and very scary . cat owners will be really freaked out by it .
Paige

Campy, "syfy original movie" type book. Quick read and interesting premise.
Keith
interesting story about turning domestic cats into weapons
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Axel Gumm
Axel Gumm marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
chucklesthescot
chucklesthescot marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
John Klasen
John Klasen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Birth Of The Peacekeepers The Peacekeepers, Some Gave All. Book 2. The Peacekeepers. Liberty or Death. Book 3. The Peacekeepers, Eternal Vigilance. Book 4. The Peacekeepers, Descent into Madness. Book 5.