Start by marking “Claws” as Want to Read:

I'd like to give special thanks to Jason Merrick for the great cover.

Alcorn Pet Food Corporation is working with an experimental cat food laced with hormones and appetite enhancers. The special food causes cats to add muscle, gain weight, and exhibit extremely aggressive behavior. When an employee threatens to expose the pet food as a threat to public safety, she finds h
Published January 4th 2011 (first published December 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Claws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claws

Laura Thomas
May 09, 2013 Laura Thomas rated it really liked it
When will they learn? Someone always thinks they can tamper with Mother Nature and it inevitably ends up with bloodshed and death.

The pet food company knows something’s wrong with their product, but the side affects to the cats opens another door. A door with big dollars, when several other countries want the formula for their own.

When the animal rights activists free the cats, they have no idea of the repercussions. These aren’t your ordinary house cats anymore. They are much larger, packed wit
T.L. Bodine
Nov 26, 2011 T.L. Bodine rated it it was ok
I picked up "Claws" as a free Kindle download the first day I got my new Kindle. I was drawn to it by the cover art, and the description made me giggle so I figured I'd give it a go. The story was everything I was expecting: The book equivalent of a Sy-Fy Original feature.

The basic premise of the story is that a pet food company, Alcorn, has an experimental feed laced with some sort of growth hormone that causes insatiable hunger, rapid growth, and violent aggression. The test subjects, a group
Here Kitty, Kitty

When we think of Monsters, what springs to mind is the Eight Legged Furry Demon that lives under your bed (which reminds me, I must buy a Futon)

The Monster is evil and therefore must be destroyed before it get us, but imagine if Tiddles your precious little ball a lovely purriness that sometimes used to stratch your sideboards and cough up fur balls, now Imagine it's tearing at your throat and coughing up part of your face, well, that is what happens in this novel, it's fiendish
Sue Williams
Jul 21, 2015 Sue Williams rated it really liked it
I like anything having to do with cats so I decided to give this a try. It started a little bit slow but then I couldn't put it down.
It is classified as a horror story I think but it is more than that. It is a mystery too and if they do a 'part two' it could be an apocalypse story. As it is, it is a Don't mess with mother nature no matter how much money you can make story. The thought that this could possibly be done in the future is a bit scary.
Jan 31, 2015 chucklesthescot rated it really liked it
Patricia is fired when she refuses to falsify paperwork for her boss to cover up that cat food ingrediants are making the cats hungry and dangerous. As the company starts a campaign against her, unsuspecting animal rights activists release the test subjects into the community. And then the killing begins...

I picked this book up free on a website because I liked the idea of killer cats and the cover looked cool. I admit that I didn't rush to read it, thinking it wouldn't be that good. In fact thi
Jeff Jellets
Oct 17, 2015 Jeff Jellets rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror, freebie

The Pet Food Your Cat Will Kill For!

Claws starts off with a great premise. Pet food manufacturer Alcorn has developed a feline ‘super-food’ … with just one, teensy little problem. The cats that eat the food become larger, more aggressive, and insatiably hungry … turning cute little kitties into ravenous mini-tigers. As author Ricky Sides admits in the Preface, it’s an angle just too good to resist, and Claws could be a really fun, B-movie-style, romp.

But the execution of this good idea falls a b
Jean Booth
Dec 30, 2011 Jean Booth rated it it was amazing
I liked the disclaimer the author wrote. That more than anything else, set the scene for me for how this book was going to go. The premise of Claws was fantastic! Food that makes cats grow and turn into viscous man-eating beasts- awesome!
I have 8 cats myself and had to hug each and every one of them when I finished reading this book. I can definitely envision Ida Malone as me in the future! lol!
I loved the scene with the two advocates after they "rescued" all the cats- so disgustingly perfect!
Jan 15, 2012 John rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, monster, 3-star, 2012
Well, for starters, this book was not what I was expecting. When I read the synopsis about killer cats, I assumed it was going to be spoof. It's not, this is a straight thriller novel about killer cats. It wasn't bad, and it kept my attention. There were several references to sexual encounters which didn't really add anything to the story, and could easily have been done without.

I guess my biggest disappointment with the book was the ending. (view spoiler)
Sheila Myers
Jan 29, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I suggest you ignore any of the negative reviews you might have read. Ricky Sides did a remarkable job of putting a new twist on an old story. I've read quite a few books about government projects aimed at developing new weapons for combat, but Mr. Sides thought of an idea that is so unique I can't find an adequate word for a description. Throughout the story, he keeps the reader in suspense by developing plots in which you aren't sure who are the good guys and ...more
Apr 01, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Warning! Chemically Altered Pet Food Produces Franken-Kitties!

Suppose you could turn domestic pets into biological weapons just by adding a few chemicals to generic pet food. The food is intended to make the animals bigger, more savage, and perpetually hungry. Suppose you have developed an experimental formula to do just that, using a few dozen cats to test the efficacy of the formula. Now suppose some well-meaning but misguided animal-rights activists have set the test subjects free in your own
Jul 26, 2016 Olethros rated it liked it
-El encanto de la serie B.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Una empresa de alimentación para animales de compañía está diseñando un nuevo producto. Patricia Reese está al frente de la División de Investigación de la compañía y ni la presión del propio presidente de la corporación hará que Patricia otorgue su visto bueno a una fórmula experimental que durante las pruebas ha demostrado aumentar el tamaño, fuerza muscular y agresividad de los gatos que lo han consumido, por lo que la emp
Dec 26, 2014 Tasha rated it liked it
Well this book was...interesting, weird and at times completely horrifying. I thought it was going to be a spoof when I read the blurb, but no, it really is a horror novel about killer cats.
The author clearly loves cats, and has done some serious research and observations on their psychology, the description of their behaviours, as a past cat owner, was amazingly realistic, which was possibly one of the most terrifying parts of the book.
The only reason it got 3 stars was that at times the story
Feb 25, 2014 DoodlePanda rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
In short this story is about genetically changing cats through the cat food to make them stronger, bigger and more aggressive. This goes wrong of course, as some animal activists frees the cats from the testing facility and they start attacking humans.
I found this book a good read. It wont be on my top 10 books of all times, but definitely worth reading. It definitely had some suspense and gets you thinking about the cleverness of messing too much with mother nature as it might come back to hau
Fabián A.
Apr 15, 2012 Fabián A. rated it it was amazing
Spoilers ahead! You are bewared.

Great, great, great book! With a few exceptions of chapters, a good page turner book. I enjoyed it, Ricky is a great writer, he mixed the perfect amount of action, horror, romance and suspense in this wonderful story. The ending was perfect! I laughed a lot reading the chapter where Talbot is killed by the... Secret service former prostitute? Oh man I love this book :D It has very clever moments. I felt like watching a really good horror movie.
Dec 23, 2015 Ami rated it liked it
A campy b-movie feel. Cats. Evil genetically altered cats. Cats get set free and go about trying to cause the end of man (and dog and anything else that gets in its way).

It's a fun read, but there is a lot of animal violence. Cats vs cats, dogs getting killed, bunnies getting shot, etc, so I wouldn't recommend the book for someone who has trouble reading that sort of thing.
Jon Silva
Jan 06, 2014 Jon Silva rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Sides, inspired by his love of cats, wrote a great story that hooks you from the beginning and keeps you going until the end. The characters are genuine, adding more to the story than the sum of their parts.

This is a well written story and a real page turner. I look forward to reading more books by Ricky Sides.
wow i loved this book, its a bit freaky with the killer cats, made me almost nervous of my own cats lol, but it is a brill thriller, i came across it through amazon, a free download, i recommend this book highly, loved every minute of it, kept me turning pages i didnt want to put my kindle down, pick it up and give it a go
Jan 06, 2015 Hazel rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Surprisingly a pretty good read considering it was a free e-book download from Amazon. I originally thought it was going to be like a bad b-movie but was pleasantly pleased. Good story, and yes some might say far fetched, but no more so than the plethora of zombie/vampire stories out there - at least this is original.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This was sort of King Kong meets Cats version! To be honest this could have been very cheesy and it was not. I enjoyed the fighting scenes and I also liked the storyline. I also liked the fact that you don’t have to be a cat lover to appreciate the book since I am a dog lover and not so much cats!
Apr 02, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I laid in my bed at night and read this book with five cats snuggled up to me. This book terrified me in more than one way. I gave it four stars because I'm not thrilled with the ending. Also, he needed to proofread.
Patt Lisenbee
Apr 27, 2012 Patt Lisenbee rated it it was amazing
This is an intense book - do not read after dark or in the presence of cats! A very scary, could happen scenerio that makes you look at your furred friend in an entirely new life - a weapon of war. Be prepared for thrills, chills and downright scares, and I do not scare easily!
Jul 07, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. The characterization was a little off at the very start, but it did get much better. Even the character I didn't much care for was well-written, and the story itself, despite a few uneven bits, was exciting.
Dec 26, 2015 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Very good

Loved this. Mr. Sides writes a really good story. From the scary parts to the romance parts, you want more info. Can't wait to read the next one in this set.
May 02, 2013 Alan rated it it was amazing
I never liked cats before but I bloody hate them now. Couldn't put this book down, fast moving & a fair bit of action too. A great read.
Mar 20, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
Humans will try anything.

I always wondered about the government. This story shows the possibilities that items are being put in our foods just like they are put in animal food.
Jan 25, 2012 Weirdology rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats
I was attracted to Claws because of the crazy awesome cover. The cat looks exactly like one of my cats, minus the red eyes. I recommend this book to cat lovers who also have a dark sense of humor.
Nov 27, 2011 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, kindle, sci-fi
Totally cool and creepy. Having had many cats in my time, I could picture the scenarios very well. Can't help but keep glancing at my cats with a little trepidation now!
Paul Collado
Dec 21, 2013 Paul Collado rated it liked it
Enjoyed,the read

it's like The Birds from Hitchcock meets cats but without the happy ending. a good fast read and pretty cat gory
Wanda M. Townsend
May 06, 2014 Wanda M. Townsend rated it did not like it
Can't believe I spent my time reading this book.

I wasted my time reading this story. I do not think I will be reading anything else by this author.
Aug 25, 2013 Jenni rated it really liked it
For being a free download, this was a surprisingly good read. Interesting story, good characters. A bit like a so bad it's good film, but that made it more enjoyable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Guardian Cats and the Lost Books of Alexandria
  • From the Apocalypse (Ping, #1)
  • The Journal of James Halldon (Diary of the Displaced, #1)
  • Scarecrows
  • 12|21|12
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Derelict
  • Murder Genes
  • The Ghost Toucher
  • The Sword Lord
  • The Night Girl: The Complete Series (All 8 Books)
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • The Cat Behavior Answer Book: Practical Insights & Proven Solutions for Your Feline Questions
  • Wolves and War (Planet Wolf, #1)
  • Metal Cats