Start by marking “Zoya” as Want to Read:
Zoya

Zoya

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,458 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
Alternate cover for ISBN 0-440-20385-6

Published July 1989 by Dell Publishing Co., Inc. (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Zoya, please sign up.

Borealis You cannot read this book on Goodreads.

Mar 28, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is pretty much the only Danielle Steel novel that I ever liked. I would get her books as gifts, or I would pick one up thinking I would like it and just never did--they were all too similar, too lacking in substance--the cotton candy of books for me. Except Zoya. This one, I actually thoroughly enjoyed (it was a gift and at first I though, oh no...) Maybe it's because of the whole Russian history aspect...or maybe Ms. Steel was differently inspired for this book. At any rate, if you don't u ...more
Maria Clara
Cuando decidí leer esta novela, lo hice pensando que sería una historia ligera, sin grandes pretensiones, y nada más lejos de la verdad. A mi modo de ver o entender es una novela triste, dura como la vida de la protagonista, y que se aleja totalmente de lo que yo considero es una novela romántica. De todas maneras, es una gran historia repleta de amor y sufrimiento...
Ahmad Sharabiani
Zoya, Danielle Steel
اصلا پیشنهاد نمیکنم، این ترجمه را بخوانید، مگر این که از جان خود سیر شده باشید، برای ترجمه کردن یک داستان، مترجم دست کم باید دستور زبان فارسی را بداند، مگر این که خود نویسنده باشد و سبک نگارش خود را داشته باشد، بنظرم حتی یکبار هم پس از تایپ متن را ادیتوری نخوانده و اصلاح نشده، خواندن یکی از این داستانها انسان را از وضع چاپ و نشر دلزده میکند
Lucille
Jun 15, 2007 Lucille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: losers
I really liked this book when I was 10, mainly because I was obsessed with the Russian Revolution and cherished the possibility that I might be Anastasia Romanov. I've read it since then and it is the usual Danielle Steel schlock with tons of ellipses to fill space, lots of cliches, and banal unevocative descriptions. But, there's no such thing as a cliche when you're 10! It's a good read for people who are younger, not widely read, or big fans of Danielle Steel, as I used to be.
Aishie
Apr 26, 2016 Aishie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
It's amazing what being locked out of ones house for four hours, with no money and no phone, and the only option for somewhere to stay with reading material, is the local Starbucks free library, and the only option on those shelves being those of a book to quit smoking, children's books and a book in Spanish, will induce you to read.
Onka
May 08, 2013 Onka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel once again proved that she is a great author. On the contrary to popular belief, she does not write these 'sweet' romances. Her heroines have to overcome so many obstacles to reach their happy ending that a reader only wonders 'Should a life be so cruel and hard?' and 'Is it even worth it?'. I don't know but I find all of her novels so realistic and believable...
In this case, our main character a young countess Zoya lives a pleasant life with her family in St. Petersburg. However,
Carol Storm
Reading this book is like watching the trailer for an incredible movie -- and then realizing that you just watched the movie and there was nothing more to come!

Every time Zoya is in some new and interesting situation, you think, ah, now it will get really exciting and romantic. Only it never does! She's a pampered princess in Russia for like, five pages. Then she's poor in Paris. Then she's rich again. Then she's poor again. And all the time it was like, when will the action really start?

Daniel
Shelly
Aug 06, 2015 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. I really enjoyed all of the historical aspects of the book, especially the parts about the Russian Revolution. I liked Zoya' s personality and the rest of the characters as well. I realize it was a major part of the story to have Zoya go through a lot of difficult things, but I wish there would have been more of a happy ending for her.
Liz
Feb 20, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites. I'm not a huge D.S. fan but this story is one that I love to read; over and over again. Fictional characters fit so seamlessly into actual historical events and she describes it all so beautifully. Almost makes you wish you had been there to see it and enjoy the ride of highs and lows along with the characters in the story.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Ces
Aug 10, 2012 Ces rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ces by: My Algebra Tutor
This is one of the two books from Danielle Steel that I've read. And I can't even remember the title of the other one (Update: Hey, It's The Gift! Lol). But this one's something else.

I have always been curious about the Russian Revolution since having watched the animated movie 'Anastasia'. I've researched extensively about the Romanov family and watched a lot of documentaries about it. So when my Algebra Tutor mentioned that she used to read this book about the Czar and his fallen family (it w
Laraemilie
A l’aube de la révolution russe, Zoya, une jeune cousine du tsar se voit obligée de fuir son pays avec sa grand-mère. Toutes deux gagnent Paris, où elles doivent s’habituer à une existence en tout point différent du luxe qu’elles ont connu auparavant. Heureusement, la force de caractère de la jeune fille lui permettra de survivre et de se construire une vie agréable, entre la France et New York.
Zoya retrace le portrait d’une jeune fille incroyable, qui fera preuve d’une capacité d’adaptation ini
Leigh
I'm giving it three because I loved it when I was younger, but I'm almost positive I'll hate it now like I do with both the Titanic and Vietnam war novels she's written. I'm sure it's full of historical inaccuracies and I'd rather look back on this book as a read I loved as a teen and leave it in the past.
Kristen
If you didn't see the 1990s TV movie, or want to read the book version of it, Zoya's set in the beautiful backdrop of Russia, during the World War I Europe for this magical and classic Danielle Steel historical romance. Zoya, a cousin of the Tsar, fled Russia to find safety in Paris France. While her world changed before her eyes, she joined the local French ballet, and when things settled down in her life, she moved to New York City. During the Great Depression, she lost everything she had in s ...more
Amanda
May 03, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it. It was a powerful story. Zoya went through so many hard times and tragedies, but she always came out of it stronger.
Charlie
Zoya by Danielle Steel

Another solid book by Danielle Steel. This one ended on a good note and I came to care for the main character, Zoya. It does start to annoy me how tragic the lives are of every single character Danielle Steel writes. A little bit of tragedy I can handle, but literally people died around this main character every year or so. You'd think that she's cursed or something.

Also, how ridiculous is it that four or five men fell head over heels for Zoya because she was 'so beautiful' and 'so strong'. Eve
Peggy Depiano
I have not read a Danielle Steel book in over 10 years. I read this as a friend loaned it to me with a wonderful review. I realize now why I haven't read a Danielle Steel novel in so long. She did not disappoint by writing a story that I can only describe as "bi-polar". I find in most of her books that really good (manic events) things happen to the main character and then really bad (depressive) things happen. This book was another roller coaster. SPOILER ALERT!! It started out that the main ch ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
1 STARS

"Against the backdrop of the Russian Revolution and World War I Europe, Zoya, young cousin to the Tsar, flees St. Petersburg to Paris to find safety. Her entire world forever changed, she faces hard times and joins the Ballet Russe in Paris. And then, when life is kind to her, Zoya moves on to a new and glittering life in New York. The days of ease are all too brief as the Depression strikes, and she loses everything yet again. It is her career, and the man she meets in the course of it,
Sasha Dayo
May 16, 2011 Sasha Dayo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG. When I read this book. I did not return to the owner. I become bitchy about and boy did I just own it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've read this book many tyms and I have never got bored with it. Zoya from the tym she escapes the Russian Revolution with her grandma, the hardships and pain she went through. wow. Its tells of the tale of richness, to glory , to poverty, war, deaths, beauty and survfival of a young Russian princess from the 1900s to the Cold War. She survived all the wars. IT IS LOVABLE.
Gabby
Sep 20, 2015 Gabby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a very good book. 2 stars, though, because I actually read through it and it went by quickly. A few pages in, though, I wasn't sure I could continue.

This is a world where everyone's gorgeous or handsome, is loved for no reason, and has to be thrown adversity after tragedy just to have something for the author to write about.

I get that good fiction tends to have some great event that propels characters forward, but it has to ring true and make sense. Not in this book. And you have a f
Olean Public Library
Set against the backdrop of the Russian Revolution, Zoya was a good "beach" read while vacationing in the Outer Banks of NC. In typical Danielle Steel fashion, leading character, Zoya, is a strong, determined, beautiful woman who must face and overcome many challenges and obstacles. The writing was somewhat "flat" and when characters died I didn't feel any emotion. The historical setting and connections to the Russian Tsar were the most interesting part of the book for me.
Hannah
Aug 07, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.8 stars.

- Characters: 4.5 stars.
- Plot: 4.5 stars.
- Setting: 5 stars.

I loved this book! It's not something I would normally read, but I was gifted it from a friend for my birthday. It starts out with a seventeen year old Zoya, living in St. Petersburg. Her cousin is the Tsar, so she lives in luxury. But that all changes in a very short moment.

Let's start with the characters. I loved most of the characters! There was a few, one is particular, that I wasn't that fond of. What also kind o
Misty
Jul 10, 2012 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
I vividly remember this book - my grandmother gave it to me and I read it when I was a teenager. I absolutely loved it. It led me to other Danielle Steel books, which for some reason I kept reading, even after I realized they were all almost exactly the same. This one is, without a doubt, her best (in my opinion), and I'd love to reread it to see if it holds up after over 20 years.
Mariam
էն որ կարդում ես վերջին էջը, բայց չես ուզում որ վերջանա...

մի ամբողջ կյանք կար էս գրքի մեջ...փախուստ, դժբախտ մանկություն, ծանր օրեր, երջանիկ պահեր, սեր, սպասումներ, կարոտ, մահ ու էտ բոլորը շրջանի նման կրկնվող: էտքան ուժ մի մարդու մեջ, որ մենակ ցավ էր տեսել, բայց չէր ՀԱՆՁՆՎԵԼ ...

մի խոսքով մի շնչով կարդացվող գիրք...
Shine
Jan 15, 2015 Shine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amarantha
Jan 12, 2009 Amarantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my fave novels of her.

It's about a Russian girl's life before and after the chaos in Russia. She was one of the people who close to the Tsar's family. Really interesting, she really tasted the sweet and bitter life and best of all, she fought for her happiness and survived the hard times.
Arsnoctis
Jul 19, 2015 Arsnoctis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: let-it-be
Voto effettivo: 3.5
Estratto dalla mia recensione:
[...]
In qualche modo è una storia di speranze perdute e poi ritrovate; per quanto mi riguarda vorrei più protagoniste come Zoya, è una donna che ha imparato ad apprezzare il lusso, ma che è anche in grado di comprendere quali siano le cose che sono davvero importanti alla fine della giornata. Ha senso pratico senza essere in grado di riparare un lavandino, non so se rendo l'idea.

Le recensioni che ho letto qua e là confermano che questo sia un
Fatema Al Fardan
3.5
Another Danielle Steel cliche. She has brilliant stories to tell, although almost all of her novels are written in the same style. It is not fun reading a book when you can presume the ending halfway through it.
This novel kept me going because I was intrigued by the History. I recently got the opportunity to learn about WWI and it was fascinating to read about the Tsar’s cousin! When it finally clicked that she was writing about real Historical events I was jumping up and down. It's captivati
Rachel Macik
Aug 30, 2010 Rachel Macik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one in High School. I really liked it because it was the only thing I could do while in detention hall. (that could be its own story). It was the biggest book my mom had, on her dresser. I stole it to keep me occupied. It worked. I want one of those eggs.
Belle McGrath
Aug 29, 2015 Belle McGrath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very touching story. This book sent me on a roller coaster of emotions along with the protagonist.

This book is so historically accurate, it feels like you're reading a history book, but in a very, very good way. The author managed to make us live the Russian revolution, the two World Wars, the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression with such accuracy and precision, all through the eyes of a very brave young lady. I found myself wondering if this was actually a non-fiction book, telling the st
Nothing But Readi...: Steel, Danielle -Zoya; Informal Buddy Read: Starts December 22, 2014 11 152 Jan 01, 2015 10:17PM
Danielle Steel Bo...: Zoya 1 8 Nov 20, 2012 03:25AM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Till We Meet Again
  • Danielle Steel
  • The Power of the Legendary Greek
  • Iron Lace
  • Pretty Woman
  • The Saxon's Daughter
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • Uncertain Magic
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
  • Whitehorse
  • Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)
  • To Catch a Thief (The Calamity Janes, #3)
  • Memories of Another Day
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“Sometimes, I think one should only live in the present. The past is only a heavy burden to carry with you. And yet… it’s so hard to let them go… to forget… to move ahead…” 17 likes