Bear's New Friend

Bear's New Friend (Bear)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,095 ratings  ·  63 reviews
It's summertime - and very hot - so Bear heads out to the swimming hole in the woods to meet his friends. Someone is making a clatter in the tree, but it isn't Mouse, or Hare, or Badger. Who could it be?
Published August 1st 2006 by Simon and Schuster, (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bear's New Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear's New Friend

Karen
There is something quite wonderful about Karma Wilson's "Bear" books. I never tire of reading them and I always look forward to the new ones. In fact, I remember when this book was first added to our library collection. Another children's librarian and I nearly arm-wrestled to determine who would read it first for Story Time.

Karma Wilson's "Bear" books, besides being entertaining reading, would make an excellent study on how to write a children's book in verse. Her rhymes are not forced and her...more
Shauna Masura
Someone is hiding in the forest, but everyone that Bear knows is already accounted for. See how Bear and the bunch find their surprise guest, who just happens to be a little shy. Bear's New Friend is a tender story of natural curiosity and the importance of welcoming new friends that can become an importat teachable moment for young children. Simple rhymes with repetitive phrasing- "And the bear asks, "Who?"- means that kids can participate in reading with anticipation. Acrylic paint illustratio...more
Candice
Aug 19, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A popular thing to write in our 8th grade autograph books 50 (yikes!) years ago was, "Make new friends and keep the old. One is silver, the other gold." In this rhyming book about friendship, that's just what Bear does. "In the woods, in the sun, on a hot summer day, Bear feels an itching to head out and play." He sets out to find his friends and go swimming, but every time he finds a friend, he hears a noise. "And the bear asks, 'Who?'" becomes the refrain as Bear and his friends try to find ou...more
Alyson Rizk
I love reading Bear's New Friend. Not only is it colorful and have rhyming words, but the children can guess what animal Bear's New Friend will be. This book also mentions how the owl is shy so some children can relate. Best of all, at the end of the book the new friend gets invited to go swimming with everyone. I think this would be a great book to read at the beginning of the year.

LE- For this book, I think I would have the children draw p0ictures about a new friend they have met. I would have...more
Samantha Gacke
Bear and his friends try to figure out who is being shy and hiding in the forest.

Throughout the book, the font type is consistent, but the change in size really helps to emphasis emotion. When the bear gets really frustrated or confused, the text becomes larger and/or the letters are all capitalized. When the little owl is being shy, the size is smaller. The change is size can help a reader sense the emotions and it can also help for the reader to understand how their voice should altar when rea...more
Angie
Synopsis: "How Bear and his forest friends discover a NEW FRIEND will enchant young readers. Karma Wilson's playful text and Jane Chapman's radiant illustrations make Bear's New Friend a perfect summertime read-aloud companion to the bestselling Bear Snores On."

My Review: Munchkin really didn't have the patience for this book. He did enjoy the illustrations but really only wanted to see Hare. I found the foreshadowing of Bear asking Who to be a little funny, but found it odd who the mysterious n...more
Erica Rhodes
This is a cute little story about a timid critter Bear has never met. The rhyming pattern makes this a fun little read. My son who is almost two loves this book.
Katy Bennett
This one is extra sweet. Bear and his friends see signs that a new creature is near. Who could it be?
Aimee
This colorful book tells of how Bear would like to go swimming with his friends but first he has to find them. As Bear looks for his friends he finds room for a new friend to play with.

This book is written for younger children. In this book the author uses question words throughout the book. Who, what, where and why are used to find out where his friends are and why they are hiding from him. The answers that he receives bring him to who his new friend is. Children love to ask questions so this b...more
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, rhyming
Another fun book in Karma Wilson's Bear series. Although this one was not our favorite, it is still a fun book to read aloud. Karma Wilson's rhyming narrative and Jane Chapman's classic illustrations combine for fantastic children's books.
Ashley Stone
Bear hears a noise one day and is curious to see who or what caused it. He meets up with several of his forest friends and they can’t figure out if it’s something/someone they know already. When they figure out that it’s a new owl they instantly befriend him and head off to play. I liked this book for the simple fact that they were so welcoming to their new friend at the end of the book. I think this sets a good example of teamwork and how to treat someone you don’t really know.
Dominique Maderitz
Bear's New Friend was a cute and fun story. This book was about a bear who decided he wanted to go out and play. He met lots of his friends along the way. However, bear made a new friend, a shy little owl. Bear realized that there is a lot more in the world and he can always make more friends.
I really enjoyed this book because the story showed all different types of animals being friends. This book seems like it would be a good example for children to get along with others.
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 3/19/11)

Julia and I read this and Bear Snores On yesterday afternoon and loved them both. So far we've loved each of Wilson's Bear books and I'm going to look to see if there are any we've missed immediately. I'm also going to check to see if there are other books by the author because if we love these this much I'm confident we'll like any others she's written.
These are perfect books for kids IMO!
Penelope West
Jul 15, 2008 Penelope West rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All children, and those who love them.
Another delightful story about Bear. He and his friends go to play in the woods, and discover a new friend who is rather shy. They work hard to find the new friend, who finally shows himself. Owl is very happy to find a new batch of friends, and realizes that making new friends is not such a hard thing to do after all. My youngest granddaughter loves this series and delights in reading the stories over and over.
Chanae Wills
Bear is going to the swimming hole, but hears a strange noise. Each time he thinks it’s one of his friends, they show up and he finds that it’s not them. He learns that he has a new friend who has been making the noise. I could use this story as a read aloud to show students that least expecting people can be your friends.
June
Sep 12, 2012 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friendship requests
A little long for the 4th story for my group. They did enjoy the repeated "Who?"

Bear heads out to find his friends and play. However, someone is causing a disturbance and he and his friends can't find out who. It turns out to be a shy owl, and they all go off to play with their new friend.
Hung Van
One of the coolest things in this text is the size of the font in the book. When reading it as a read aloud, it's easy for kids to understand the emotion that happens in the story. It's great for kids to understand and follow along th emotion that Bear goes through in the story.
Wooden Horse
I just love all of the wacky illustrations by Jane Chapman. This mystery revolves around a new critter in the forest. I'm curious how that will factor in to the further adventures of Bear.
Joy
Another reliable entry in Wilson's Bear series--Bear and his friends try to befriend a shy newcomer. Lots of rhyme and repetition, with opportunities for audience involvement. I'll be trying this one out at storytime, though I wonder if it's a bit too long for a readaloud.
Bethany
I love Bear! acrylic paint illustrations are vibrant and detailed; story line follows the same pattern of the other "Bear" books. Meeting a new friend this time. Themes:friendship, animals, bears, shyness; similar rhyme pattern as other books.
Aubrey
My 4 1/2 year old and my 22-month-old both LOVED this book and requested to read it over and over again. Cute story about helping a shy little owl make friends. Includes some repetitive phrases so the kids were quickly able to read along.
Jen
I love all the Bear stories as they are easy to read, have great illustrations and my boys love them! This is the cute little story of how Bear finds a new friend in owl and talks him into joining them for a great play day!
Shelli
Karma Wilson always tells silly fun simple stories for young readers. Jane Chapman does a fantastic job making the characters come to life. Each critter has their own distinct personality that adds to their livability.
Cara Farmer
This book has cute illustrations, but I wasn't crazy about the story. It would be a good story to read out loud in the classroom. It keeps kids guessing until the end and they enjoy waiting to see who bears new friend would be.
Ina
It is Spring and Bear wants to play....he rounds up all of his friends and discovers there is someone new in his life. Love illustrations, rhyming text and the repeated phrase, "Who?" make this a charming read-aloud.
Mandy Hoffman
A fun story about a bear who meets a shy new friend. This is a neat way to introduce shyness and enjoy a good story together. Some parts were slightly tongue twisting, but a cute story to read none-the-less!
Katie Lee
Bear's New Friend is a wonderful book to read to any age group because of the lesson that it teaches-always be willing to make new friends accept them for who they are. This I useful in any classroom!
Allison
This book features repetition which makes it easy for students to follow along. It will keep them engaged throughout because they can participate in reading it even at very young ages.
Kimberly Maynard
Love these bear books..so does my daughter..enjoyable to read and since I have to read them over and over they don't annoy me as some others have. Love the illustrations too. :)
Jessica Lauber
Beautiful artwork, animated, full-page color. Rhyming story of a bear and his friends. Repetition. Some less common forest animals mentioned. Message: welcoming new friends.
  • Little Quack's New Friend
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • Maybe A Bear Ate It!
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • Forever
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Moosetache
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Let's Go for a Drive!
  • Duck & Goose
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • Pumpkin Trouble
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies