Start by marking “Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea, #5)” as Want to Read:
Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea, #5)

Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea #5)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Genealogist Torie O'Shea delves into a family's history...and ends up investigating a murder

Shortly after the birth of her third child, genealogist Torie O'Shea finds herself more than ready to get back to work. So when she's asked to write a biography of the late Catherine Finch, a famed 30's jazz singer who was a resident of the small town of New Kassel, Missouri, where
Published June 16th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Cousins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Cousins

Torimac
This was my introduction to this series. I am going to go back and read the others. I really liked the author's sense of humor and her use of place. I started off the first 2 chapters thinking it was going to be a boring tale of how a 'superwoman-mom' managed to juggle EVERYTHING and solve standard mysteries with the cliche nods to supportative characters we could only wish existed in real life. But as I read more I found it harder to put down.
I didn't find the book to be laugh out loud funny,
Grey853
I really like this series. The main character Torie O'Shea is quite the character. It's odd. I don't normally like books with a female lead, especially one that has 2 or 3 kids, depending on what book it is. However, Torie's just so damn determined to be the nosiest woman on the planet, I can't help but smile at her tenacity.

In this particular book, she's just had her third child and is on leave. She's been given the tasks of writing a local history about a famous citizen, a jazz singer from th
Kristen
n the 5th installment of the Torie O'Shea Genealogical Mystery series, Killing Cousins, by Rett MacPherson, Torie got stuck into another genealogical puzzle. This time, it happened after she gave birth to her third child, Matthew, she had gotten back to work at the Gaheimer House. Besides being a mother of three had given her a full plate on her hands, she was more than thrilled to be asked to write and work on the biography of Catherine Finch, a famed jazz singer from the 1930s. Not only that, ...more
Patty
This series just keeps getting better. There was a lot less genealogy in this one, at least the serious digging type of genealogy but the mystery was very well done. It involves a 60 year old disappearance of a baby, a murder of that baby's cousin and the complicated relationship between Torie and her new step-father, the Sheriff.

Pretty much everyone that has been introduced in town was involved in this one. There is some sadness in this book, proving that if you write (or read) a series you ha
Mary
This was another Torie O'Shea Mystery, the second one that I have read. Torie works for the Historical Society and has lived in the town of New Kassel Missouri all her life. Which does give her a wide variety of friends and knowledge of the town. This book starts out when she is on leave after having her third child. She is trying to stop riverboat gambling coming to her little town and when they start to tear down the house where they want to put the main casino, they find some strange things i ...more
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries, series
Torie O'Shea, genealogist and amateur snooper, gets 2 new jobs. Her boss asks her to write a biography of a prominent local citizen and jazz singer, and her new father-in-law asks her to catalog the same celebrity's estate for sale at his antique shop. But just as she starts to work, she uncovers a mystery. The singer's young baby disappeared years ago in the middle of the night and was never found. Several children were in the house the night the baby vanished. Now those children are all grown, ...more
Kathy
Although the heroine's relationship with her new stepfather gets somewhat annoying after a while, the rest of the mystery is interesting and the "solution" is not necessarily what a reader expects.
Rachel
Another example of a small town woman who has a weird hobby (other series have chefs, quilters, crocheters... This one is a geneologist) who solves mysteries. I haven't read the other books in the series, but I'm willing to bet that there is an extremely high murder rate in this small Missouri town. Anyway, this was entertaining and far better written than the last book I read in this vein (see review for "The Deed in the Attic"). I don't plan on looking for any more books in the series, but I w ...more
Mary
I loved this book so it's highly recommended. Lots of excitement and a darned good tale. Torie O'Shea is one of my favorite heroines and I am on a hunt for the early entries in this series. There are only a couple more that I haven't read available as e-books so I have my fingers crossed. Ms MacPherson - keep 'em coming!!
I love these books. I think part of the draw for me is that I grew up in the area the stories are all set in, but the characters drew me in from the first book. I hope there will continue to be more new titles in this series. I have combed through many used book stores looking for the old titles.
Kay
Apr 20, 2011 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Another delightful book in the Torie O'Shea series. Torie is a historian/genealogist and while working on family trees she always seems to stumble across a murder. I love doing genealogy and am happy enough to just discover those ancestors without murders too!
Peg
Can I just say that Torie O'Shea is a lot of fun? Her familiar narrative style makes it seem like you are sitting right next to her listening to her tell her story. Immediately gets me involved. Great way to start a slow day. Read a chapter and I'm raring to go.
Debra
Torie O'Shea tackles the case of what happened to baby Byron Lee Finch, who disappeared during the night 50 years ago, after his skeleton is found in the wall of a house being demolished.
Sara K.
Small town, plucky problem solving woman, old mystery solved. It was a great 'mindless' summer read. Quick and easy, finished reading it the day I started.
Jun 27, 2011 Mary added it
Torie O'Shea is a little brash & whiny for my tastes but like most of the secondary characters & the small town ambience rings true.
Cindy
Not my favorite in the series. I don't want to give away the plot, but this book made me feel very sad by the end.
Kae Cheatham
Lively first person. Believable characters. a book of deductive reasoning, not high intrigue. Nicely done.
Janet
entertaining, amusing (Torie O'Shea series, set in rural town near St. Louis)
Linda
Mar 25, 2011 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I dearly love this book...it is so good.
Dave
Nov 11, 2012 Dave added it
Very good book. Kept me going til the end.
Felicia
A cozy and charming southern mystery.
Grammyo
Grammyo marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Linda B
Linda B marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • The Alpine Traitor (Emma Lord Mystery, #20)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • Head Games
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • Wormwood (China Bayles, #17)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott, #2)
  • Plagued By Quilt (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Mind Your Own Beeswax (Queen Bee, #2)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)
  • Dead Creek
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri. She is the author of the popular Torie O'Shea mysteries and helped to pioneer the sub-genre of genealogical mysteries. She is also a bead and fabric artist and loves wineries, cemeteries, genealogy, history and of course, books.
More about Rett MacPherson...

Torie O'Shea (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2)
  • A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)
  • A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4)
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)
  • Dead Man Running (Torie O'Shea, #9)
  • Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)
Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1) A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3) A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2) A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4) The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)