Start by marking “Suffer the Little Children” as Want to Read:
Suffer the Little Children

Suffer the Little Children

Family is not our greatest success story, but it could be. Anne Mueller, the mother of a runaway daughter, carefully closets her pain and confusion only to watch if resurface when a thirteen-year-old neighbor child shows up at her door. Desperate to keep this child from the same fate, Anne realizes she must stop living in denial and start questioning conventional wisdom. H ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published March 6th 2011 by Christina Carson (first published March 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Suffer the Little Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suffer the Little Children

Frederick Brooke
Jul 07, 2012 Frederick Brooke rated it it was amazing
I looked up the area of Alberta, Canada where this magnificent novel is set. Miles and miles of forest, filled with deer, birds, wolves and bears and other animals, but not many people. Especially the grizzly bears are unpredictable and dangerous to humans. Our heroine in the book is Anne Mueller, and an encounter with a grizzly cost her husband his life.

The book begins with a visit to Anne's lonely cabin from her nearest neighbor's 13-year-old daughter, who has run away from home. This girl, wh
Kathy Hall
Nov 07, 2011 Kathy Hall rated it it was amazing
Sadly, I finished this book last night. The experience of reading the story of Anne (Nannie) and her transitions over several months will remain with me throughout the remainder of my life and guide me through many situations. The truths that Christina Carson lay out are so simple and yet so profound. If we all found a way through our troubles as Nannie does, we would all be so much happier.

But the book isn't special simply because of it's message, the characters are heart-breakingly real and th
Gae-Lynn Woods
Sep 08, 2012 Gae-Lynn Woods rated it it was amazing
On its surface, SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN is a well told story about surviving in a harsh physical environment, and it tells the tale of a widow, a child, and a lonely man making their way in an isolated and isolating world. But to me, Carson's novel is actually about the difficulty of surviving human interactions, our own damaging thought processes, and our desire to be accepted by the 'outside' world. She weaves the threads of these seemingly divergent topics together to create a story that s ...more
Jo
Jul 31, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Jo by: Christina Carson
Recently, I was privileged to read what I believe is a book of enormous import to the world of readers and seekers...oh, hell...to all of us. As I came to the end of Christina Carson's "Dying to Know", I sat in stunned silence for quite some time, mulling it over. Then I gleefully shouted to the empty house, "Well butter my ass and call me a biscuit!" The light was blinding.

Now I'm dying to know how I will ever get "Dying To Know" out of my head. Between this book and a wonderful experience rece
P.C. Zick
Jun 13, 2013 P.C. Zick rated it really liked it
Don’t let the title Suffer the Little Children steer you away from this novel by Christina Carson. A friend of mine saw on Goodreads that I was reading this book. She usually likes the same type of fiction I do, but she was a bit frightened about the title. I assured her she had nothing to fear from this beautifully crafted novel set in Alberta, Canada.

One thing is certain. Ms. Carson loves the setting and creates a painting with her descriptions of an isolated, yet wholly stimulating life in th
Christina Carson
Aug 27, 2011 Christina Carson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone raising children or who has had a troubled childhood. That's pretty well all of us, I guess.
This is a lovely book, beautifully written and thought provoking. The pacing is quick, yet the main character, Anne, is fully developed. The relationship that eventually blossoms with Anne's deceased husband's friend grows gently, tastefully, and honestly. The metaphors are exquisite, especially when Carson is writing about the boreal forest she so clearly loves. Her treatment of the Cardinals of the Cree Nation reminds me of parts of Louise Erdich's works; her love of the natural world is remi ...more
Darlene Jones
Jul 13, 2013 Darlene Jones rated it it was amazing
I've lived in Alberta most of my life, but Christina Carson has managed to show me a huge chunk of that beautiful province that I didn't know. I've worked with Cree students, but again Christina showed me more aspects of their lives and culture. More than that though, Suffer the Little Children shows us another way to look at life and deal with what it brings us, both the good and the bad.
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2011
sandra johnson
sandra johnson rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Missie
Missie rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Sally Anderson
Sally Anderson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2011
Karimabima
Karimabima marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2012
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2012
Javier Robayo
Javier Robayo marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2012
A.O. Peart
A.O. Peart marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2012
Adele Symonds
Adele Symonds marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2012
Petronela Ungureanu
Petronela Ungureanu marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Lisa Cunningham
Lisa Cunningham marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Betsy Ashton
Betsy Ashton marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Eddie Jong
Eddie Jong marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Belart Wright
Belart Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Marilyn Ramacher
Marilyn Ramacher marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Leaving my budding career in biological research and disowned by my family due to my response to our involvement in the Vietnam War, I immigrated to Canada. I lived there 25 years until a Vietnam Vet asked me to marry him. Now there's a story for you. Canada will always be my home of heart and my first two novels take place there.

At 70 years of age, I'm really not so different than I always was,
More about Christina Carson...

“I have spent my days stringing and unstringing my instrument while the song I cam to sing remains unsung.
Rabindranath Tagore”
2 likes
“It struck me that the beauty we attribute to children isn’t something they have that we don’t. It's something they do, which we have long since stopped doing—just describing things as we see them, the simple, unadorned facts.” 1 likes