Start by marking “The 6 Reasons You'll Get the Job: What Employers Look For--Whether They Know It or Not” as Want to Read:

What Are Employers "Really" Looking for?
It's Not What You Think.
More people than ever are applying for the same few jobs. Surfing job boards and submitting a dozen resumes a day just doesn't work. "The 6 Reasons You'll Get the Job" shows you exactly how to tailor your pitch and stand out from the crowd so that you get hired.
Talent alone will not get you the job. The
Published October 1st 2010 by Prentice Hall Press

To ask other readers questions about The 6 Reasons You'll Get the Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 6 Reasons You'll Get the Job

Aug 01, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book even though I'm not looking for a new job. Seeing my brother struggle with finding employment, I'm realizing that the way people go about finding a job now is much different than it was even five years ago when I was last job seeking. As I go about doing my current work, I need to keep the big picture in mind of what qualities I should be developing and what information I will need to be able to convey to future employers. This book was detailed, uplifting, and most of ...more
Andrea
Jan 09, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is a good book for people job hunting and especially great for people who may have discrepancies, issues, or gaps in their experience. The most beneficial sections of the book for me were how to use non-traditional ways to get that "in" that will make employers avoid screening you out with all the other applicants. Since I'm also interested in improving my own interviewing skills for potential employees I appreciated learning tips for when I interview potential employees.
P
Aug 20, 2014 P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: job
The real reasons you're not getting hired -- Thinking like everyone else can keep you unemployed -- The hiring process through the employer's eyes -- Padman: the 6 reason you're hired or screened out -- It takes more than ability to get hired -- How to prove you are the best candidate -- Stand out from the crowd by giving facts -- Stand out from the crowd by demonstration -- Stand out from the crowd by offering credible references -- Stand out from the crowd by telling stories -- A new take on t ...more
Alicia
Dec 07, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
This book was among my favorites about the job-hunting process. The beginning of chapter 3 gives a good summary of what this book is all about:

"PADMAN is all about the employers- their needs, their concerns. Consciously or subconsciously, every interview question you will ever be asked, every reason you will be screened out or hired, and every reason you could get fired or promoted comes from the six areas of PADMAN: Presentation, Ability, Dependability, Motivation, Attitude, and Network."

The t
Kathleen Rainwater
Sep 23, 2012 Kathleen Rainwater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
“It takes more than Ability to get hired” This book is full of on target, practical advice for a successful job hunt. Including information on : passing through resume screening filters; how to stand out- in a positive manner ; how to prove that you are the best candidate for the job. Meeting the employers’ expectations during the interview; and more.
Janet
Aug 09, 2013 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
This book has lots of advice I had not heard before. But I am thinking about working for the government and many of the examples the authors used are more common in the private sector (ex. researching the company's values, thinking about profits).
Kat
Nov 30, 2016 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PADMAN idea is helping to see the hiring process from other perspective. I will definitely try the side door and with the given tips I believe I'll land my next great job quite smoothly :)
Max
Max rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2014
Cheri
Cheri rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Ivo Stoykov
Ivo Stoykov rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Emma Lowrey
Emma Lowrey rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Danielle Todd
Danielle Todd rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Karthini Shan
Karthini Shan rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Noora
Noora rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Dante
Dante rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Diane Ballard
Diane Ballard rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2011
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Karthini Shan
Karthini Shan rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Hollybeth
Hollybeth rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Lauren RM
Lauren RM rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013