Start by marking “Gone” as Want to Read:
Gone

Gone

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
There can be no straight road home.

A young man is released from a Sydney prison, his hands empty, his identity gone. He catches a southbound train out of town, then hitchhikes west. He hasn’t been home for fifteen years.

For days Frank rides the highway through an unforgiving landscape, surviving on what he finds and the kindness of strangers. As he edges closer to a home
Published February 2011 by Unversity Of Queensland Press (UQP) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone

Lisa
Jun 18, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, c21st
Gone, by Jennifer Mills, is a remarkably good book. I couldn’t put it down, and now I’m sorry I’ve come to the end of it.

A man, nameless, is on the road after his release from an institution. At first it’s not clear whether it was a mental institution or a prison because he is disoriented and confused. He’s been released into the void with a voucher for a government support agency that – by the time he gets his act together to use it - is past its use-by date. He’s directed to a charity that giv
Trisha
Lauren Murphy
Aug 24, 2011 Lauren Murphy rated it liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
This isn't your typical roadtrip novel. Mills takes us on a psychological journey as we tag alongside the mysterious young man released from prison. He assumes the name Frank, collects some clothing, a backpack and sleeping bag from a Sydney charity service and then begins to head west. Thumb out to hitch a ride, Frank makes his way into the outback by accepting rides from a variety of folk with their own stories to share. Although, Frank is quite reserved and wants to leave his past behind, it ...more
Carolyn Mck
Jan 30, 2016 Carolyn Mck rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww16
I read and really enjoyed Mills’ first novel, set in a small coastal town in NSW. The Diamond Anchor referred not only to a pub but also to how a person can be anchored in one place all their lives. In that novel, Mills showed how she could get inside the mind of a character from a different generation and also how she could create a very strong sense of place. Her writing was both precise and subtle and I was keen to read something more from her.

GONE couldn’t be more different in its tone, char
Jane
Nov 24, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing
It has been some time since there was a book I just wanted to keep reading not because I needed to find out what happened, but because it was just such a good book to be in. I felt like that about Gone. The writing was so precise, the things it described largely so alien to my own experience. I got to be someone else for a while, to see the world in an entirely different way.
‘Frank’ is the ultimate unreliable narrator: he has no idea who he is or what’s real or how he got here or what has happe
Jo Case
Mar 16, 2013 Jo Case rated it really liked it
Shelves: aus-authors, novel
Taciturn loner Frank is just out of prison for an unnamed crime, hitchhiking from Sydney to his childhood home, in the far west of Australia. This is a psychological thriller of sorts; the narrative driven by a desire to discover what Frank is running towards, and what he’s running from. The reader must piece the story together from shards of inherently unreliable information: Frank’s memories and reflections, and the observations of strangers.

Gone is a classic road story, as much about the jou
Sean the Bookonaut
Jan 13, 2012 Sean the Bookonaut rated it it was amazing
I have been delighted by Mills writing since I bought a chap book of her poetry, Treading Earth. Large parts of Gone remind me very much the writing contained within that collection, particularly her observations of the minutiae of human interaction.

Another spill over from her poetry are the raw observations that are both economical and evocative.

Gone is both a road trip and a mystery. The road trip is an examination of an Australia that most readers, I would argue, are not used used to reading
Michael
Aug 25, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Jennifer Mills's second novel gone is a downbeat tale both grim and wry in its delivery. The story goes of a man named Frank who is recently released from Prison, Frank is destitute but not broken as he sets of from Sydney across the country. Franks seeks closure by going to his childhood home and trying to find his family. The story is tolled with the present day of Frank going by any means possible to go west towards home including trains, buses and hitchhiking.

Frank passes through many a town
Leatherbound_Pounds
Mills’ style is just amazing. Her attention to detail, her very careful placement of words and concepts, is so minute. So painstaking. I enjoyed her tone and the way she allowed the reality, memory, misremembered ideas and forgotten past to swirl together, all eddies in the same river. She crafts a story that is out of focus, but intense. Suspenseful. A little disturbing.

Full review here: http://leatherboundpounds.wordpress.c...
Book Bazaar
Oct 29, 2012 Book Bazaar rated it it was ok
I feel bad giving this a low mark, but I really had trouble finishing it - kept putting it down and going on to other things. Some of the language is beautiful and the premise is clever, but I just couldn't get in to it.
Imo
Imo rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Mel Brackstone
Mel Brackstone marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Roy Duffield
Roy Duffield marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Madelyn
Madelyn rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Eliza Henry-Jones
Eliza Henry-Jones marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
BookishWordish
BookishWordish marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Fiona
Fiona added it
Sep 13, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Anick-Marie
Anick-Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Maryam Rosaidee
Maryam Rosaidee marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Antony Jacques
Antony Jacques rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Wayward Fancy
Wayward Fancy marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Venita
Venita rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Sharkell
Sharkell rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Hannah May
Hannah May rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Jennifer Mills is the author of the novels Gone (2011) and The Diamond Anchor (2009) and a collection of short stories, The Rest is Weight (2012). In 2012 she was named a Best Young Australian Novelist by the Sydney Morning Herald. She lives in Beijing and is working on her third novel.
More about Jennifer Mills...

“Maybe he’s become addicted to living, he thinks, its gentle terror like the rush of insect wings against his face.” 0 likes