The Boyfriend Bylaws

The Boyfriend Bylaws

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  533 ratings  ·  90 reviews
(Totally Fit Series #1)

EXCERPT

Rule #1: No giving out your phone number until approved to do so.

Rule #2: Must obtain permission to accept any date invitation.

Rule #3: No br...more
Published March 6th 2011 by amazon digital services

To ask other readers questions about The Boyfriend Bylaws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyfriend Bylaws

Lissa Smith
Nov 08, 2012 Lissa Smith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult & Young Adult Readers of Romance
Recommended to Lissa by: Veronica Blade & Susan Hatler
“The Boyfriend Bylaws” is billed as the first novella in a series called “Totally Fit” and is filled many, many tangible laugh aloud moments that will have you recalling your own good old days. How many times it seems you stuck your foot in your mouth around a hot guy. Tapped for the adult genre this light hearted romance is suitable for the older young adults as well.

Hatler’s novella focuses around a group of friends who work together at a local fitness center. The banter between these friends...more
Aimee
I really liked this book with a slight catch which I will explain later. :)

Hello? Set in Sacramento? My growing up stomping grounds... How could I not appreciate that? The characters were fun. The story moved along quickly and ended all too soon in my opinion. I would sure like to see a longer version of this. I think the employees being caught in the janitorial closet was very funny and I loved the word of the day idea. So much fun. The conversations felt natural and easy. Loved the happily eve...more
Kala
I was not impressed with this book. When I got it, I didn't realize it was a novella (my fault). I don't necessarily dislike novellas, but I feel like it's very difficult for most authors to get a fleshed out love story in a short form like a novella - and I feel like Hatler failed in that.

She did do some things I liked. I thought the whole "word of the day" thing was amusing. I thought the employees hiding in the closet was amusing. And...yeah, that's about it.

The main character (Melanie) was s...more
Katie Watkins
A cute (short) story about a girl who falls head over heels way too fast--and gets her heart broken over and over again. Her best friend, and roommate, write the boyfriend bylaws to try and help her find The One.

I really did enjoy the storyline and the characters, but there was a little more...content...than I personally prefer (drinking to the point of getting drunk, talk of "getting on bases," etc).
Liz
Melissa Simmons
The Boyfriend Bylaws is the first book in the Totally Fit series by Susan Hatler. I have to say, I can't get enough of good books with great romance in them. When I heard about this book, I knew I just had to read it. The synopsis really appealed to me; a girl's best friend taking her love life in hand to keep her from making further mistakes, it sounded fantastic. Susan Hatler did not disappoint!

I flew through this book in no time at all, I was just hooked! I love Hatler's writing style; the hu...more
Laura Young
Title: The Boyfriend Bylaws
Author: Susan Hatler
Page count: 106
Genre:Contemporary
My rating: 5/5
Publisher: amazon digital services
Published: March 6th 2011
Summary: Melanie Porter has been dumped-again. When others accuse her of "being in love with being in love," she agrees to let her best friend, Patti, step in and direct her dating life with The Boyfriend Bylaws.
EXCERPT
Rule #1: No giving out your phone number until approved to do so.
Rule #2: Must obtain permission to accept any date invitation....more
Delaney Diamond
Well done!

This was a nice, sweet, contemporary story about the dating woes of twenty-five-year-old Melanie. In love with being in love, she couldn't get it right when it came to men. She was also petrified of becoming a woman like her mother, who had left her father after years of marriage.

In her quest to find The One, she ignored Matt, the perfect man under her nose all along. In her defense, one of her co-workers lied to her about Matt and said he was a player. (Oddly enough, I think Melanie...more
Yvonne
Apr 21, 2011 Yvonne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Meg Cabot fans
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
Melanie is a young woman with lots of great things going for her. She teaches classes at the Totally Fit gym and has finally saved up enough money for her dream car. However, she hasn't been as lucky in the romance department. After dating one lame guy too many, her best friend decides to lay down “The Boyfriend Bylaws” or rules that will help Melanie find “The One”.

The Boyfriend Bylaws is a fun and witty read! I loved Melanie's character and the back-and-forth banter and antics between her and...more
Char (1RadReader59)
This was an enjoyable read. A short story of love being right under your nose but you never see or a friend tells you, you don't. This is the case with Melanie & Matt. Melanie won't give him the time of day because she has heard he is a love them & leave them kind of guy. Yet, Melanie's boyfriend gets changed as often as she changes her pants so pot calling the kettle black right. Maybe not. Her roommate can't take it anymore & knows Melanie is not up to such heart ache all the time...more
Claire Taylor
Amusing and entertaining short romance.

The Boyfriend Bylaws is just comical. How many times has a girl jumped into a relationship thinking it may last, just for the guy to get up and leave after getting what he wants.

Every single girl needs a friend like Patti to step in and “help” out with her love life, one who’s honest and tells you how things really are.

A cute, quick read, kept simple with no complications that’s full of the joys, pain and jealousy of romance and dating. The characters ar...more
Paris
I don't know when it happened, but I've totally become a sucker for romantic short stories. I've been a fan of the HEA for awhile now, but only if it comes with blood, guts, murder or supernatural beings. But suddenly I'm finding myself enjoying cute stories that are straight romance like The Boyfriend Bylaws by Susan Hatler. Even though I know what's going to happen in the end, I can't help but want to see how they get there.

I absolutely loved Matt and kinda wish I had one of my own. Mel was a...more
Michelle
This was a really cute story and I really enjoyed the writing. I did find it to be a bit rushed and wish the characters were a little more developed. I think that's just part of reading a novella, they're a lot quicker than a full length book. I guess my point is, I enjoyed the characters enough that I wanted more.

I was a little disappointed with the references of pre-marital sex but was grateful nothing was graphic. (Considering the fact I found out about this book from the Clean Romance Group...more
Katherine
This was a fun little read. I was gifted this ebook in exchange for a review. I would have liked it much more if there hadn't been the expectation that everyone sleeps with people they think they are in love with, married or not. People who do not have a problem with this premise will probably enjoy the story more than I did.

It was interesting to read in the story that the main character's parent's relationship influenced how she thought about men and marriage. Also, how our perception of peopl...more
Bel Watson
Apr 15, 2012 Bel Watson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone who is bored
Clearly it's not the best book ever, but it's short, easy reading and fun. Besides, it was free on Amazon, so I "bought" it. I read it last night and it was fun, I liked Matt and I didn't hate Mel (normally I hate those women that are desperate to get a boyfriend or husband), I think I can understand her a bit, though I can't understand the big desire of getting married. Well... I'll never understand that.
Not bad, not excellent. Intermediate. But I liked, though. It's a book you can read when yo...more
Englishrose
This was a very cute short story. The characters are cute and quirky. From the very beginning you get sucked into their lives and the way they do everything. Perhaps it's just the way the friends interact, but it just makes you remember the fun parts of being single. Melanie is a classic marriage-obsessed character that is cute and fun. I didn't want this to end, especially since there were a couple side stories that didn't seem to quite get resolved. But it was definitely a light and fun read t...more
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
Susan Hatler has crafted a very cute novella that will be sure to put a smile on your face while you are reading it! Melanie is terrible with love, she always chooses the wrong guys! So her best friend and roommate Patti gets her to agree to date only by The Boyfriend Bylaws! If Melanie breaks any of these 'laws' then she has to turn her car over to her! A funny and cute story, The Boyfriend Bylaws is the perfect pick-me-up book! Four and a half stars!

Tifferz
I received an arc copy of this super fun and engaging novella The Boyfriend Bylaws by Susan Hatler. First off I really like the cover. Now this is sweet romance that has you rooting for Melanie right from the beginning. I was laughing and smiling throughout the story. This is a clean romance. I only wish the story was longer. I would recommend this read and will be following Susan Hatler and awaiting her next book.
Laura Greenwood
Original mini review from: http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

Not the kind of book I normally go for, as in set in the modern world and about little more than romance as this one is.

I enjoyed it as a light read, it was really easy to read and move on with, and ultimately is a believable situation about people being in love with the idea of being in love.

Very enjoyable light read.
BecksBookPicks
Its absolutely a cute little story about how that perfect someone is sometimes the person right under your nose. Melanie is desperate for love and looks past all the men's flaws in hopes that they are the one. Her best friend teaches her some rules on how to find the right one. Melanie resists, but eventually gets it and figures out who she wants has been there all along.

Cheri
I wasn’t sure about this at first because I’m not really into chic-lit. However, I was drawn into Melanie’s wish to find Mr. Right and I soon began rooting for her. Of course I could see right away who it should be, but it was fun wondering when Mel would finally figure it out. Charming little story and I think it perfectly fits within the chic-lit genre.
Danielle Calabrese
A cute short story! I thought the character and plot development was well done considering this was a short story. I would have liked to see more, but I am judging this story based on the fact that is was meant as a short story and not as an underdeveloped novel. The characters were extremely likable and funny, and I really enjoyed it!
Patricia Kiyono
This is a wonderful story about Melanie, who keeps falling in love with the wrong guy. Her roommate decides to help her find The One by enforcing the Boyfriend Bylaws, with Melanie's new car as collateral! I loved the interaction between the characters. The story line is believable and complete. Great book!
Carrie
Loved this little story! It was witty and interesting and fun! The main guy was instantly yumzy!!! And the short story immediately following it was endearing as well! Great writing! Easy read!

I forgot to mention that I won this book in a giveaway! Thank you so much!! What a treat!
Lisa
This premise was great! I enjoyed the friendship between the main character and her roommate. Of course, the hero was perfect and fun. Susan Hatler is a good writer and if it was cleaned up (fyi - there was a bit too much sexual innuendo for my taste) I would read a longer version!

WiLoveBooks
Melanie wants to find love so bad, she sees it even when it is not there. Finally she lets her best friend take charge of her love life. Sweet, cute and predictable. Quick, fun read. I love all of the characters, though I do wonder what happens to the sister.
Clare Santos
This is a happy book! It made me all giddy and giggly while reading about Melanie's encounters with men and falling in love then falling apart. Good thing, her best- friend Patti is at her beck and call. Whenever she needs her help, she's there, complete with Boyfriend Bylaws. It was hilarious when Mel had to call her to ask permission to date or give a man her phone number. Ha-Ha..

I think I'll recommend this short romance story for an overnight reading, just so you could sleep well with a smile...more
Shannon
I really like the main characters Melanie and Matt. It's so obvious they were made for each other. The pacing/timing was a bit rushed but overall it was a good little story. 3.5 Stars
Debra

For a more detailed review, please visit my blog -

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs
Anne
Good premise for a book, but it wrapped up too quickly, too neatly. I know this was a novella, but the characters could have been developed more and more detail added to the book.
  • Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts
  • Free Gift with Purchase
  • Practice Cake (Life in Saltwater City, #1)
  • Mistletoe in Maine (Holiday Brides #3)
  • Stuck with You
  • The Enemy's Son
  • Blind Date, Checkmate
  • Match Me (Me, #1)
  • The Rent-A-Groom
  • The Marriage Pact (The Marriage Pact, #1)
  • Marry Me, Maddie
  • Love Letters, Inc
  • Bon Voyage
SUSAN HATLER is a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author, who writes humorous and emotional contemporary romance and young adult novels. Many of Susan's books have been translated into Spanish and German. A natural optimist, she believes life is amazing, people are fascinating, and imagination is endless. She loves spending time with her characters and hopes you do, too.

You can reach Susa...more
More about Susan Hatler...
Truth or Date (Better Date than Never, #2) Licence to Date (Better Date than Never, #6) Shaken Love at First Date (Better Date than Never, #1) My Last Blind Date (Better Date Than Never, #3)