Carolyn 101: Business Lessons from The Apprentice's Straight Shooter

Carolyn 101: Business Lessons from The Apprentice's Straight Shooter

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Known to the millions of viewers of the hit reality television show "The Apprentice, " Carolyn Kepcher attracted enormous media attention for her cool demeanor and her no-holds-barred assessments of the show's candidates in the boardroom each week. In particular, she was not shy about speaking out about her disappointment with the professional conduct of the female candida...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Fireside

To ask other readers questions about Carolyn 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carolyn 101

Amy Salamon
Does it count as having ‘read’ the book if I listened to it on CD instead?

I really enjoyed the first season of The Apprentice (and Carolyn as well), so I thought this would be a enjoyable way to pass my commute home from work. That was until I discovered that Carolyn is about as snobby and entitled as Donald Trump is. Most of the first CD and scattered throughout, she raves about how wonderful he is and how he’s the best boss ever, yada, yada, yada. Can’t stand that guy.

Maybe part of my aversion...more
Walter Burton
This quite possibly one of the best business book I have ever read. It was recommended to me by step daughter who has made it required reading for any who comes to work at her company. The material is very straight forward and simple to grasp, however it tells the story of what will make a successful employee, leader, and team member in business today.

It is also a biography which tells the story of a woman who's drive and people smarts allowed her to grow and thrive in the Donald Trump organizat...more
Sridhar
This is a book that offers all the advice in a nutshell. Even if you are not interested in reading through her illustrations, the one liners that she offers are extremely useful. Seeing her as a tough no-nonsense lady on the Apprentice and the kind of management advice that she gives, the management advice that she gives is very sensible. Especially if you are looking for a high management position, she has the right steps to build the savviness in you and how to be a good leader.
Katie
This is a very easy read -- a straightforward and practical guide to getting a job and doing it well, using Carolyn's own experiences with rising through the Trump Organization. Don't let the Trump association put you off, though, if you're not a fan. (I'm not.) She writes about him, but only to provide examples. I liked the balance of practical advice and narrative and the content is good, if not just reiterating common sense. (Which we all need sometimes!)
Candice
I read this book a few years ago when I was into Donald Trump's show "The Apprentice" (my mom gave the book to me). It was a nice read, the business aspect didn't interest me so much as reading about how Carolyn managed work and family. She wrote about returning to work when her first born was only 3 weeks old! Yikes! This book isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Interestingly Donald Trump fired Carolyn shortly after I read the book.
Mark Tilchen
For starters, I am always impressed when a business person see an opportunity, and pursues it with passion. Such is the case of Ms. Kepcher using her fame on the apprentice. Her advice is indeed basic business 101, which she presents well for the entry level business person or student. A s an experienced business person I enjoyed it as a nice refresher .
Lilian
Her business lessons are practical and sensible. But I believe it also involves a bit of luck and a confident personality if one wishes to be as successful as Ms Kepcher. I am not in the corporate field and I have always thought I'll do poorly in sales because being outgoing is not in my personality, but will still keep in mind her sound advice.
Kate Walshie
Even if you don't like these kind of business books, I highly reccommend it because of Carolyn's "lessons". She started off as a waitress and eventually became extremely successful. Great motivation and 'How To' impovement keys for the business world. You can most likely get this for a few bucks at New England Mobile Book Fair.
Joel
this was a better book than I thought. Watched the apprentice back when it first came on and reading her book now I know why Trump hired her to work for him. The job alone at one of his golf courses is a great story. The show the Apprentice was much better then.
Angela Coulter
I read this book when "The Apprentice" was first on TV... and really enjoyed it; Carolyn Kepcher did a great job talking about the whole picture - her career and her private life, and how she integrated both.

Rosa
For someone who has no one to give you advice on anything, this would be a good book to start with. Not that she has all the answers, but sheds some light on what to do when you have absolutely no clue.
Landry
An inside look at the business mind and strategy of one of the most powerful women in business. Highly recommended for managers and business owners.
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.
Missy
recommend any business professional that has a drive to succeed, read this!
Lori Grant
A should-read book on executive ability in managing your career.
Wendgard11
She has a style I like
Eloisa Espia
very educational..
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Christina Langlois
Christina Langlois marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Janaye Granberry
Janaye Granberry marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Te
Te marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Hrvoje
Hrvoje marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013