Start by marking “Carolyn 101: Business Lessons from The Apprentice's Straight Shooter” as Want to Read:
Carolyn 101: Business Lessons from The Apprentice's Straight Shooter

Carolyn 101: Business Lessons from The Apprentice's Straight Shooter

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Known to the millions of viewers of the hit reality television show "The Apprentice, " Carolyn Kepcher attracted enormous media attention for her cool demeanor and her no-holds-barred assessments of the show's candidates in the boardroom each week. In particular, she was not shy about speaking out about her disappointment with the professional conduct of the female candida ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Fireside

To ask other readers questions about Carolyn 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carolyn 101

Amy Salamon
Jun 29, 2011 Amy Salamon rated it did not like it
Does it count as having ‘read’ the book if I listened to it on CD instead?

I really enjoyed the first season of The Apprentice (and Carolyn as well), so I thought this would be a enjoyable way to pass my commute home from work. That was until I discovered that Carolyn is about as snobby and entitled as Donald Trump is. Most of the first CD and scattered throughout, she raves about how wonderful he is and how he’s the best boss ever, yada, yada, yada. Can’t stand that guy.

Maybe part of my aversion
Elisha Chan
Mar 08, 2016 Elisha Chan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This book is like an autobiography about how she was able to capture the heart Of Mr Trump and has succeeded with his help and believe. What she has learn over the decade of working in his organisation and who she has become and what she has learnt. It will help if you already like her to understand where she came from and her direction. I like that she is a 'straight shooter'.
Walter Burton
Feb 23, 2013 Walter Burton rated it really liked it
This quite possibly one of the best business book I have ever read. It was recommended to me by step daughter who has made it required reading for any who comes to work at her company. The material is very straight forward and simple to grasp, however it tells the story of what will make a successful employee, leader, and team member in business today.

It is also a biography which tells the story of a woman who's drive and people smarts allowed her to grow and thrive in the Donald Trump organizat
Sridhar
Jul 19, 2012 Sridhar rated it really liked it
This is a book that offers all the advice in a nutshell. Even if you are not interested in reading through her illustrations, the one liners that she offers are extremely useful. Seeing her as a tough no-nonsense lady on the Apprentice and the kind of management advice that she gives, the management advice that she gives is very sensible. Especially if you are looking for a high management position, she has the right steps to build the savviness in you and how to be a good leader.
Katie
Jan 31, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
This is a very easy read -- a straightforward and practical guide to getting a job and doing it well, using Carolyn's own experiences with rising through the Trump Organization. Don't let the Trump association put you off, though, if you're not a fan. (I'm not.) She writes about him, but only to provide examples. I liked the balance of practical advice and narrative and the content is good, if not just reiterating common sense. (Which we all need sometimes!)
Candice
Oct 08, 2009 Candice rated it liked it
I read this book a few years ago when I was into Donald Trump's show "The Apprentice" (my mom gave the book to me). It was a nice read, the business aspect didn't interest me so much as reading about how Carolyn managed work and family. She wrote about returning to work when her first born was only 3 weeks old! Yikes! This book isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Interestingly Donald Trump fired Carolyn shortly after I read the book.
Mark Tilchen
May 07, 2012 Mark Tilchen rated it really liked it
For starters, I am always impressed when a business person see an opportunity, and pursues it with passion. Such is the case of Ms. Kepcher using her fame on the apprentice. Her advice is indeed basic business 101, which she presents well for the entry level business person or student. A s an experienced business person I enjoyed it as a nice refresher .
Lilian
Jun 14, 2012 Lilian rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Her business lessons are practical and sensible. But I believe it also involves a bit of luck and a confident personality if one wishes to be as successful as Ms Kepcher. I am not in the corporate field and I have always thought I'll do poorly in sales because being outgoing is not in my personality, but will still keep in mind her sound advice.
Kate Walshie
Jul 02, 2007 Kate Walshie rated it it was amazing
Even if you don't like these kind of business books, I highly reccommend it because of Carolyn's "lessons". She started off as a waitress and eventually became extremely successful. Great motivation and 'How To' impovement keys for the business world. You can most likely get this for a few bucks at New England Mobile Book Fair.
Joel
Jan 15, 2012 Joel rated it really liked it
Shelves: help-me
this was a better book than I thought. Watched the apprentice back when it first came on and reading her book now I know why Trump hired her to work for him. The job alone at one of his golf courses is a great story. The show the Apprentice was much better then.
Angela Coulter
Feb 20, 2011 Angela Coulter rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I read this book when "The Apprentice" was first on TV... and really enjoyed it; Carolyn Kepcher did a great job talking about the whole picture - her career and her private life, and how she integrated both.

Rosa
Feb 27, 2007 Rosa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone who has no one to give you advice on anything, this would be a good book to start with. Not that she has all the answers, but sheds some light on what to do when you have absolutely no clue.
Landry
Dec 10, 2015 Landry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inside look at the business mind and strategy of one of the most powerful women in business. Highly recommended for managers and business owners.
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.
Missy
Jun 03, 2007 Missy rated it it was amazing
recommend any business professional that has a drive to succeed, read this!
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
A should-read book on executive ability in managing your career.
Wendgard11
Sumz
Sumz rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Warren Mitchell
Warren Mitchell rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Jacob Oommen
Jacob Oommen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Tasfia Tasneem ahmed
Tasfia Tasneem ahmed marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Andy Holligan
Andy Holligan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Ben Delf
Ben Delf marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Tiz
Tiz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Patricia Hodges
Patricia Hodges rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Colin Vollebergh
Colin Vollebergh marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016