Start by marking “Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files” as Want to Read:
Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files

Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files #12.5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  32,349 Ratings  ·  1,509 Reviews
Here, together for the first time, are the shorter works of #1 New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher-a compendium of cases that Harry and his cadre of allies managed to close in record time. The tales range from the deadly serious to the absurdly hilarious. Also included is a novella exclusive to this collection that takes place after the cliff-hanger ending of the ...more
Published December 6th 2011 by Roc (first published October 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Side Jobs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Side Jobs

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Nice, well rounded short story collection featuring some of the side characters from the series. I liked seeing the growth of the author as well as some other POVs. Made me hungry for more Harry!!
Lightreads
Stacey
The most important thing is that I got my Harry Dresden "fix." Everytime I read one of these books, I tear through it like a hyperactive child in a bulk candy story. Well, this anthology, the thing that is supposed to get me to the next release... it was okay. Some of the stories were better than others. "Aftermath," the anticipated novella told right after the ending of Changes, was a disappointment.

The story itself was a typical Dresden universe tale, with the requisite slime, kicking, intrig
Dan Schwent
Side Jobs is a collection of Harry Dresden short stories.

A Restoration of Faith: Harry goes on a missing persons case and winds up tangling with a troll.

Not a bad story but not particularly good either. It's the first Dresden story Jim Butcher wrote and it shows. While entertaining, it has some glaring flaws, like the ten year old talking like she's 25 and the existence of a manhole on a bridge. I may be ignorant of some things but I don't imagine a lot of bridges have manholes on them. Still, a
Nicole
(First read Oct-Nov '10; read again Dec '10; re-read "Day Off," "Backup," "Something Borrowed," and "The Warrior" Oct '14; re-read "The Warrior" 6/6/15.)
Listed in the order I read them, according to my whim.
"Vignette" -- Interesting to see an early draft similar to several Harry-Bob conversations that made it into books.
"Restoration of Faith" -- Cute. I enjoyed seeing how Harry and Murphy met. Despite the apologetic preface about this story being a beginner’s effort, I like it more than either “
Mike (the Paladin)
Note: On advice from Sandi, thank you Sandi, I make note here that if you haven't read Changes you should read it before you read (at least the final story in) this book as it will give away the end of said novel. Also it has been advised that I warn you not to read the synopsis of the next Dresden book, due to be released this April.

Thanks again Sandi for the heads up.

This may have been the closest to a 4 star rating I've come for a Butcher Dresden effort. This is a collection of short stories
Sonja Arlow
3 stars

I have read 11 books in this series and have developed a soft spot for Harry Dresden but never once considered listening to this series in audio. That is until a GR friend wrote a glowing review of how much fun the audio versions are.

I now understand why.

James Masters does an excellent job narrating this popular series. I also enjoyed the short intro by the author before each story, explaining why he wrote this or where the idea came from.

I won’t go into detail about each story as they
Becky
Alrighty... I've been working on this one as I go along in the series, so technically I've been reading this book for the better part of 4 months. But I have enjoyed it quite a lot, and so I never really felt that draggy "Am I done yet??" feeling that I often do when books sit on my Currently Reading shelf for a long time.

There were some stories in here that were better than others. Some that you could tell were very early stories in the Dresden canon, but they all were enjoyable, and all were
Katy
Feb 28, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy anthology
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy, the Dresden Files

My Thoughts: This is a book of short stories in the Dresden-verse, put into chronological order, and starting back during Dresden’s training with Nick Angel. The stories are:
Restoration of Faith”: in which Harry finds a missing girl, but it’s never as simple as it seems. Butcher complains about the lack of quality in this story, but I think it’s really awesome. It’s also where H
Michael
May 06, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of stories which span from the beginning of Harry's career to just after the novel "Changes". Many things that are mentioned in passing in the novels are told in these stories. The first story tells of Harry's first meeting with Murphy. Another story tells the tale of Billy and Georgia's wedding. Although all of these stories are very good I think that the best is "The Warrior". The reason that I paused in reading the novels at this point is because the last story,"Afte ...more
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This book was a great way to give you snippets of information in between the other books and the people, Harry, Michael, Butters, Murphy and others.
Mary
Jun 08, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of stand alone short stories but absolutely love them as part of a larger series. You can find out all kinds of delicious bits and pieces about your favorite characters that the author hasn't been able to include in the main books.

Overall, Side Jobs was a solid winner full of tales of Harry, Thomas, Karrin, Michael, Billy / Georgia and more from the Dresden world.

The best were:

Warrior - I seriously loved, loved, loved this story. Michael dealing with life after his injuries
The Flooze
Firstly, I appreciate this type of anthology. Even though I'd read some of the stories before, it's nice having everything gathered in one volume. Secondly, Butcher is quite talented at the short-story format. He crafts believable, contained, complete plots that add much in the way of character development without becoming required reading. Granted, there are certain references within the novels that aren't clear without delving into the shorts, but they generally aren't vital enough to throw of ...more
Paulina
Jan 05, 2014 Paulina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually end up rating short stories a star lower than the rest of a series because they are usually too short to adequately portray characters or include and interesting enough plot. But Butcher manages to add more depth into his characters with each of these stories, and makes them interesting enough to engage you throughout this collection. None of these stories has a major effect on the main series (they are, as the title describes, "side jobs"), but they are occasionally referred to in pas ...more
Steven
Apr 11, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of short stories. The best was the last one, for sure. I love Karrin Murphy.

I really liked those from other characters' perspectives. It was nice to see through someone's eyes other than Harry's!
Darren
Jul 31, 2015 Darren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it took a while - read this in chronological order (in between the appropriate stories) as I worked my way through the first 12 books of the Dresden series these past few months - but it was worth it. I am a fan of backstory and the exploration of secondary arcs, and this compendium of shorts and novelettes delivered. I've captured my thoughts below for each of the individual stories:

"Something Borrowed" An interesting jump into Billy and Georgia's "challenged" vows. I enjoyed how these st
Benjamin Newland
I’ve never enjoyed short stories as much as novels, though I couldn’t give you any rational explanation of that. I bought Jim Butcher's Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files as soon as it was available, promptly read the last story in the collection (which occurs immediately after the stunning event that ends Changes) to see what new would be revealed, then put the book on the shelf and ignored it.

Over the next couple months my neighbor, also a Harry Dresden fan, kept asking if I’d read any
Ranting Dragon
Nov 28, 2012 Ranting Dragon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: janea

In addition to the novels, graphic novels, television show, and role playing game, there are The Dresden Files short stories and novelettes. The majority of these are collected in Side Jobs, which was published in 2010. It contains a story set before Storm Front and Welcome to the Jungle, and ends with a novella set just after Changes.

When we were initially discussing our The Dresden Files extravaganza, Garrett and I talked a bit on how we wanted to review
Sandi
Nov 13, 2010 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010, audiobooks
I'm going to start with a warning: Do not read Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files unless you have made it all the way through Changes. Changes ends with a shocking cliffhanger that you really don't want spoiled. Trust me. The very last story in Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files takes place after that cliffhanger and gives it away. I'm also going to tell you to avoid even looking at the blurb for the next Dresden Files book. That blurb spoils the ending of Changes in the first sent ...more
Derek Reeves
Oct 09, 2015 Derek Reeves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While to me there is no such thing as a bad Dresden story, this was probably my least favorite. However, I will admit that it is probably because my love for these books is based around Harry and his thoughts and feelings so when its not in that same sense I tend to get detached.

It was also very interesting to see Harry's world through Karrin's eyes. Reading how her feelings for Harry and the emotions she stowed away bring some validation to the emotional tension between the two.

Other than obta
Julianna
Aug 27, 2015 Julianna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)
*newest review for this anthology

A Restoration of Faith - Restoration of Faith is a short prequel novella in the Dresden Files series. It's only about the le
Rob
A collection of all (most?) of the Dresden Files short stories thus far, including one brand new one taking place right after Changes.

Overall the stories are pretty good, the new story being the best of the lot. In general I favored the stories involving the alphas.

Since I only own/read one of the short stories before, this was a good pickup for me. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys the series.
Lindsayann
Feb 24, 2016 Lindsayann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I enjoy most about this anthology is Jim Butcher's explanations for each short story. I wish I got this book first, so I could read this in order after each novel. But I am thoroughly enjoying this little flashback throughout the series. I am also reading this at the same time as Ghost Story.
Ashley
Day off and Aftermath were my favorite. Murphy's point of view was a nice change.
Saphirablue
Sheila
My husband wants to know if he’ll like this one. He’s enjoyed the Harry Dresden novels, but he’s not so keen on the most recent two and he doesn’t like short stories. So how do I answer?

Side Jobs contains a mix of short stories and novellas—are they short novels?—all set in the world of Harry Dresden. Most of them are told from Harry’s point of view, just like the novels. Some are really too short to appeal to my husband. Others are easily long enough to read like half a novel—plot without subpl
Justin
Nov 16, 2010 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio
Side Jobs is a collection of short stories from THE DRESDEN FILES. Some of the stories have been previously published in other collections, and some are being published for the first time. The timeline for the stories range from before Storm Front to after Changes, so aspects from every possible point in time in Harry Dresden’s life are represented.

There isn’t much of a central theme to Side Jobs, besides Harry himself. This collection is exclusively for Dresden fans — it makes no sense for anyo
Kat
Nov 15, 2010 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of all of the stories Butcher has written about Harry Dresden in supplement to the novels. There are stories from multiple anthologies and his website, as well as a brand-new story taking place right after the very frustrating ending of Changes. The stories are chronologically ordered in the book, which is really nice for people who haven't read them yet, or even me who read them somewhat out of order the first time. I also really like the notes Butcher put in about the ...more
Ami
Nov 01, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of all short stories that have been released previously in several anthologies, free short stories from Jim Butcher's website, AND one original never-published novella. I have read most of the short stories, so my opinion here will be more leaning towards the one that I have been waiting the most ...

AFTERMATH
... is a new novella taken from Karrin Murphy's point of view, just few hours after the event that shocked me at the end of Changes. With Harry Dresden currently unavail
Lady*M
The collection of stories whose quality varies from average to amazing. Regardless of their quality, they are great addition to the tapestry of Harry Dresden's world because we get to see Harry and some secondary characters in unusual situations and roles. As much as I like other stories (and I do), The Warrior is probably my favorite. I've missed Michael in the latest novels and I enjoyed reading about him again. And I always like reading about Harry out of his depth and questions of faith alwa ...more
A Million More Pages: 12.5 - Side Jobs (Dresden Files) Jul 27 23 19 Aug 15, 2015 02:42AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Side Jobs by Jim Butcher 1 3 May 04, 2013 04:11PM
Review About Side Jobs 1 33 Apr 15, 2013 03:40AM
Dresden Files: What short story would you like to read? 16 48 Aug 18, 2012 10:40AM
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, # 9)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)

“People have far more power than they realize, if they would only choose to use it.” 23 likes
“I felt like I had just double-tapped Santa.” 14 likes