The Perseids and Other Stories

The Perseids and Other Stories

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Robert Charles Wilson's time has come. His first novel from Tor, Darwinia, was a finalist for science fiction's Hugo award, and a #1 Locus bestseller in paperback. His next novel, Bios, is a critical and commercial success. Now Wilson's brilliant short science fiction is available in book form for the first time.

Beginning with "The Perseids," winner of Canada's national SF...more
Published August 5th 2000 by Tor Books (first published August 2000)

John
I've read and never less than enjoyed (more usually been bowled over by) several of Wilson's novels but not encountered his short fiction before. This is his first and so far only collection -- nine tales, most of novelette length -- and it most assuredly doesn't disappoint.

If there's a weak story at all it's the last one in the book, "Pearl Baby", which was as elegantly and movingly written as all the others, but with a premise which failed to convince me and a denouement that didn't (as I'd a...more
Gendou
This is a gloomy collection of short stories, loosely tied together. I like this sort of anthology, and find it particularly well fit for science fiction. But these stories are all quite far out, to say the least! Topics ambitiously tackled include aliens that travel across space as light, a pill that makes you king of the insects, a woman impregnated by a rock-based life form, many worlds quantum immortality, alien abduction, and drug induced insanity. But most of these stories distracted me wi...more
Oooooooh, what a treat this little collection of stories is. I haven't read much sci-fi, but was delighted at the natural flow of Wilson's writing, the believability of his characters, and the cleverness (but not arrogantly so) of his ideas. A week after reading it I still find myself fascinated with little details from his stories such as his reimagining of the chessboard into a spherical shape (I explained it to my mom by using Pac Man as an analogy: When Pac Man goes off the right side of the...more
John
At some point during each of the stories in this collection, there was a moment where I stopped reading, looked up, and said to no one in particular “this is why I love science fiction.”

Having said that, many of the stories (all but three, I think), adhere to a pretty standard formula: first person narrative (usually a middle-aged man who is overly-fond of marijuana with a younger love interest), an antagonist – often a competing interest for the girl – espousing some sort of weird, sometimes n...more
Jaime
Solidos relatos.
Con personajes humanos y creibles, involucrados en extraños eventos.
Harper Jean
I read these stories to Aviva in installments over the last couple of years. Wilson is one of my very favorite SF authors for his big ideas, his knack for the truly weird, his usually strong characters, and his ability to spin a page-turning yarn. These loosely interrelated stories, all set in Toronto, are compelling and often downright creepy.
Brad
Found this in a used bookstore for a couple of bucks. As I catch up on my Robert Charles Wilson this book serves as a midpoint between The Chronoliths and The Bridge of Years that I already read and Spin, Axis and Vortex that I am going to read next.

A decent collection of short stories, some more interesting than others.
Dan
I only read the first two stories. I really like the novels I've read by Wilson, but I was disappointed by these two stories--they both felt incomplete.

Wilson's new novel Spin is a very good coming-of-age with aliens story. NOTE FOR NERDS: The author is the father of Dwight from the Office.
Tyler
Robert Charles Wilson is becoming my new favourite author and this, a collecting of short stories set in Toronto with linking characters and places, doesn't disappoint. Wilson has a knack for creating an interesting and original storyline, and as usual his prose is an easy read.
Jada Roche
It's weird...I like Wilson's books but there's always a caveat when I read them...like there's some weird barrier preventing me from really enjoying them.
Marilyn
Short stories but a page turner. I couldn't put it down once started, and read on into the night. As a Sci Fi it was great reading.
Andrew
The Perseids is a modern Lovecraft tale, with other sci-fi themes deftly woven into it.
michelle
10/11/07
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Eldorankin
Eldorankin marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Irina Koldamova
Irina Koldamova marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Christopher Murphy
Christopher Murphy marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Mark Wilkins
Mark Wilkins marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Hiroki Oshikawa
Hiroki Oshikawa is currently reading it
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Born in California, Robert Charles Wilson lives in Toronto. Darwinia won Canada's Aurora Award, The Chronoliths won the John W. Campbell Award, and Blind Lake is a New York Times Notable Book. All three were Hugo finalists. Spin won the Hugo for best novel.

More about Robert Charles Wilson...
Spin (Spin, #1) Axis The Chronoliths Vortex Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America

“We contrast the urban and the natural, but that’s a contemporary myth. We’re animals, after all; our cities are organic products, fully as “natural” (whatever that word really means) as a termite hill or a rabbit warren. But how much more interesting: how much more complex, dressed in the intricacies and exfoliations of human culture, simple patterns iterated into infinite variation. And full of secrets, beyond counting.” 1 likes