Start by marking “A Promise for Breanna (Angel of Mercy #1)” as Want to Read:
A Promise for Breanna (Angel of Mercy #1)

A Promise for Breanna (Angel of Mercy #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Angel of Mercy series follows the adventures of certified medical nurse Breanna Baylor as she seeks to serve her fellow man and restore her relationship with her true love-John Stranger of the Journeys of the Stranger series-in the post-Civil War West. A Promise for Breanna finds the heroine face to face with Frank Miller, the man who once broke her heart and led her t ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about A Promise for Breanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Promise for Breanna

Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
After working in a small, frontier town as the only medical staff, Breanna finds herself a traveler on a wagon train heading towards San Francisco to visit her sister. She treats patients, performs surgery, delivers babies and fights off Indian attacks. All the while, she nurtures and teaches those around her.

I will admit that my first reaction to looking at this book was that it was a shallow romance novel. It captured my attention though and, for the most part, I enjoyed it. Filled with some r
Gise Paz
It was so beautiful. It was Christian which was way better. I loved the way you explained Breanna's life and her nurse life. How she met te love of her life and everything. Good job
Alicia Lowery
I'm not a fan of this book. 318 pages of boring history details, names, waiting, undeveloped characters and one page of resolution. I don't think I'll finish the series.
Shawna Aguilar
Loved the book.... It was a little bit slow in the middle but jumped into action around chapter 13.. Cant wait to find the rest of the series to read them..
Such a good book! Keeps you on the edge the whole time. Defiantly a book worth taking the time to read.
Al Lacy has succeeded. I have absolutely no desire to read anything else he has penned. Poorly written, unrealistic, unidimensional characters, and multiple story lines without resolution or climax made this a two star book.

Lacy, however, doesn't stop there. This is preachy. Annoyingly preachy. Disgustingly preachy. As a Christian I find this kind of literature appalling. This isn't sharing your faith. This is abrasive and insulting.

Avoid at all costs!!!
I enjoyed this story but it wasn't one of those that really drew me in. There is a good bit of historical information kind of added to the story. Most I found very interesting and some I just glanced through without reading. A principal I respected in this story that I sadly find missing in a lot of Christian stories is that every Christian character sought a Christian mate as is instructed in God's Word.
I absolutely loved this book. I wasn't too excited about it during the first couple chapters as it appeared to be nothing more than a romance novel, but upon starting the third chapter my opinion quickly changed. I wasn't able to get enough of this book. I'm so looking forward to reading the second book.
I read this whole series and loved every one of them. Al Lacy ties in all his series of books one way or another and causes you to want to read them all. He gives the Gospel of salvation in every book he writes. His books always pretty much end up with a western setting......I highly recommend them all
Jul 08, 2012 Mary added it
Set in the post-Civil War American west, this story follows a travelling nurse, a topic close to my heart. My knowledge of this era of American history was enhanced by reading this book. For anyone fascinated with the pioneer days, this is a worthwhile read.
Feb 01, 2014 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes Christian Fiction books
Shelves: al-lacy-books
I started reading this series when I was in high school. All I remember is that it was one of those books I had a hard time putting down until it was read. I am definitely planning on reading it again soon. GREAT BOOK an GREAT SERIES!
Marcie Miller
Good book to read. Has suspense, some intrigue and romance. Breanna has a mistrust of men because of someone she was betrothed to. Now he has come back into her life. Can she ever trust him?
Bethany N Wallace
This is a very spiritual series...I learned so much about the Bible just by reading it... :). It also it also taught me a lot about history.
Abigayle Wiseman
I love ALL of Al Lacy's books and this series is probably my favorite!
Al Lacy continues to write good Christian historical fiction.
awsome book. couldnt put it down
Donna Gregory
Donna Gregory marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Morgan Seagraves
Morgan Seagraves marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Kelli marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Tricia added it
Sep 17, 2015
Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
DJ Wolfe
DJ Wolfe marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
  • A Covenant of Love (The Appomattox Saga, #1)
  • The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper (Women of the West Series #1)
  • The Captain's Bride (Northern Lights, #1)
  • Shooting Star (Saga of the Sierras #7)
  • Stranger at Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #1)
  • Montana Homecoming
  • Next Door Daddy (Mule Hollow, #7)
Al Lacy has written more than ninety novels, including the Angel of Mercy, Battles of Destiny, and Journeys of the Stranger series. He and his wife, JoAnna Lacy, are coauthors of the Mail Order Bride, Hannah of Fort Bridger, and Shadow of Liberty series. The Lacys make their home in the Colorado Rockies.
More about Al Lacy...

Angel of Mercy (10 books)
  • Faithful Heart (Angel of Mercy #2)
  • Captive Set Free (Angel of Mercy #3)
  • A Dream Fulfilled (Angel of Mercy #4)
  • Suffer the Little Children (Angel of Mercy #5)
  • Whither Thou Goest (Angel of Mercy #6)
  • Final Justice (Angel of Mercy #7)
  • Not by Might (Angel of Mercy #8)
  • Things Not Seen (Angel of Mercy Series #9)
  • Far Above Rubies (Angel of Mercy #10)