Start by marking “Game 7: Dead Ball” as Want to Read:
Game 7: Dead Ball
Preview

Game 7: Dead Ball (Marshall Connors #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Secrets, lies, and revenge provide the sparks that ignite a fiery collision between past and present…

A puzzle takes shape as baseball’s World Series unfolds, but the pieces don’t fit: a string of missing women, strange threats, gambling problems, kidnappings, and relationships long dormant are all somehow connected, but Marshall Connors--major league umpire--may run out of
Published (first published February 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Game 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game 7

Susan Lulgjuraj
As a baseball fan, I'm pretty much a sucker for anything to do with my favorite sport. But at the same time, I'm also very critical.

Game 7: Deadball by Allen Schatz is a mystery thriller with the 2008 World Series as a backdrop. For the record, I was at that World Series, so it was interesting to see how certain things would be incorporated into an event I attended.

The first thing I noticed was how well the book was written. As an indie author, Schatz's writing is very polished. It was a refresh
Lynn Hallbrooks
I'm a lover of Baseball but not a fanatic like some people. I also love good mystery books. This story combined two of my loves.

Marshall Connors is an umpire who worked his way up through the ranks. So when his mentor taps him for the position of Chief Umpire for the World Series he is stunned and honored. What happens after that puts him and others in a tail spin.

The story seemed to alternate between omniscient and first person. When you take into consideration that this is a mystery and the o
Lane
a baseball mystery. good story. hard to follow at first as the story jumps around.
i will look up the other books in the series.
Spencer Lewis
It reads like a crime noir, but it's really a stylized murder mystery. It's set during the 2008 World Series, and as a crime novel which is set around baseball and the Phillies - this was a no brainer for me. Simple and fun. Good beach read for crime novel fans. If you like Victor Gischler's work like Pistol Poet's, then you'll be entertained by this.
T.K. Toppin
I'm not a fan of baseball, or sports, for that matter. In Game 7: Deadball, it's pretty obvious which sport gets highlighted. While the theme is baseball, I found there was just enough about the sport to keep you in the loop with the primary story, which is of a murder and intrigue. Allen Schatz delivers a fast-paced suspense story, multiple characters with interesting personalities, and an in-depth knowledge of baseball.
Jim brayton
was a very good sports book, the idea of someone getting revenge and the step they would take to do it is something else!!!
characters where easily likeable...and people you wanted to root for!!!
RW Bennett
Allen Schatz has crafted a winner with his novel, Game 7: Dead Ball, book one of his Marshall Connors series of contemporary thrillers. Marshall Connors is a Major League umpire, and when he is inexplicably tabbed to be crew chief for the World Series, people in the know wonder why. Connor’s elevation is a result of actions by shady characters, who have only begun their mayhem. While baseball can be seen as a character, and fans of baseball will find the backdrop of the World Series adds to thei ...more
Larry Marshall
The author uses the 2008 World Series as the backdrop for a thriller that includes a history of friendship between several men, who go their separate ways but who share a particular incident. The lives of these friends converge at the World Series. Marshall Connors, the main character, is an umpire and without giving anything away, the story involves players on both teams, Connors , baseball security, the FBI and a high-tension situation that involves kidnapping, extortion and the need to preven ...more
Gail
This is a fast-paced mystery suspense set in the milieu of Major League Baseball--the World Series, to be specific. The main character is an umpire. There's also an ex-ball player with a gambling habit, his world series pitcher son, an old friend who's also catcher for the other team in the world series, an ex-wife (the pitcher's mom), and lots of secrets from the past. The umpire's story is told in 1st person, everybody else gets 3rd person. The story revolves around a kidnapping and extortion ...more
Mary Findley
He Even Made Me Read the Baseball Parts!
My dad coached little league. I had a boyfriend who came to visit from out of town and dragged me to the Baseball Hall of Fame, fifty miles from where I grew up. Bronzed gloves? Are you kidding? Nothing could make me like baseball.
And yet, I couldn't even skip the baseball parts in this book. It's not that they were essential to understanding the plot, or the conflict, or anything about the story. It was just that seamless, that well-woven together, that t
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Game7/:Dead Ball by Allen Schatz
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
The author's ability to describe is delightful: "The light around her, somewhere between a flashlight and a handful of candles…" The dialogues go from melancholic to spicy, from almost slumming to the perfect English of my favourite character, Dubakis, a foreign gangster. Though I tend to get lost wh...en a thriller has a numerous cast, I was able to keep track without having to write a log -- like when I read vampire themes.
After rea
Jim
I should love this book, it is a mystery and is set in baseball. But it drove me crazy. The author switched his point of view constantly, sometimes every few paragraphs. It made it difficult for me to keep the characters and their roles straight. To be honest, I am still not sure why one of the investigators was there other than his friendship with the umpire. The author clearly knows how to write, had a story laid out in his mind, and connected most of the dots as the story moved through. It wa ...more
John  Mathers
Uri
Jul 31, 2014 Uri rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Baseball lovers, mystery/crime lovers
I liked the story enough to finish the book, but overall it was just ok. To be honest I felt like I never clicked with the author and his writing style failed to absorb me into the story completely. I don't think I will read any of his other books of the Marshall Connors series even though I really like baseball-related stories.
Nancy Goldberg
I was up very late reading this book because I could not put it down. It was as exciting as the actual World Series, with all the plot twists and turns and characters involved. I am a huge baseball fan, but my fave team is the Cincinnati Reds (however, I do like the name of one of the Phillie relief pitchers -- Antonio Bastardo -- LOL). You don't have to like baseball to love this book, though. It reminded me of Michael Connelley's writing. I loved the descriptions of the ball parks in Philadelp ...more
Scott Vout
not sure how I stumbled onto this book. But I am a huge baseball fan, a big mystery fan and in fact a carded umpire. How could I go wrong.

This one was good. A 3.5 but of course half stars are forbidden on Goodreads.

An interesting story wrapped around the World Series. Not a chance in the world of actually happening in my opinion. Not at a world series anyway but it did leave me thinking, well maybe.

Some compelling characters develop throughout the story and develop nicely for so short a time fra
Helen White
I spent at least 2 nights up late way past my bedtime as I just couldn't stop reading this. I don't know anything about baseball or the environment, but the story was so good and compelling that didn't matter. The main characters are well articulated, and the relationships between them believable. There are enough characters that the situations seem genuine, although the reader needs to concentrate a little to keep things straight. A little imagination is needed to run with the scenario if you a ...more
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is a book about baseball, but it is so much more than that. A thriller set in the world of baseball may not be everyone's cup of tea but it had me hooked from about chapter 3 (and they are very short chapters!). There is enough murder, intrigue, revenge, kidnapping and even some gambling debts plus some love interest to keep everyone interested.

The plot is quite complicated and it a took me a little while to tie in all the different elements, but it is not so complicated as to ruin the stor
Jan
You don't even have to like baseball to enjoy this book. It surrounds the players lives with murder, mystery, kidnapping, and gambling debts! Marshall an umpire, his best friend Thomas an ex cia spy, Terry a player with Dad Michael an ex player are connected in this thriller! It all comes to a head during the World Series game. Can't wait for the next in the series to see what Marshall and Thomas deal with!
Betsy
Why are so many mysteries/detective type books written in first person? I don't like it. This book really sounded intriguing -- an umpire murder investigator, set in the world of baseball. But thankfully I downloaded a sample for my kindle before buying the book. I generally won't read fiction written in the first person (with some exceptions), and nothing in the first few pages persuaded me otherwise.
Erik Gustafson
Wow! This one kept me guessing and reading! Great characters and an even better storyline!
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Elizabeth Sharp
Elizabeth Sharp marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Margaret A
Margaret A marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Matthew Crlenjak
Matthew Crlenjak marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Mystery, Crim...: removed for relocation 1 22 Feb 17, 2013 08:30AM
  • Torn: Trusting God When Life Leaves You in Pieces
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Primacy
  • Love Like a Dog
  • Godspeed: A Love Story
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery #2)
  • The Killing Song
  • A History of the World Since 9/11: Disaster, Deception, and Destruction in the War on Terror
  • The Second Bat Guano War
  • Minor Snobs
  • Alex Detail's Revolution
  • Forex Frontiers "The Essentials of Currency Trading"
  • The Deal
  • Angel
  • The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1)
  • State of Panic
  • Endgame
  • Crime Fraiche (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #2)
I run, I write, I make spreadsheets. The first two keep my head straight. The last one pays the bills. All things being equal, I'd rather only be doing the first two.

I wrote these books a few years ago, hoping for the "classic" outcome of a book deal and career in writing. Things didn't quite work out for that (yet), so I did the self-publish thing.