Start by marking “Hot Damn!: Alligators in the Casino, Nude Women in the Grass, How Seashells Changed the Course of History, and Other Dispatches from Paradise” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  8 reviews
James W. Hall is the critically acclaimed author of eleven crime novels, including Body Language and Blackwater Sound. He's also published four books of poetry. And several of his short stories have appeared in magazines like the Georgia Review and Kenyon Review.

Now, writing in the spirit of Dave Barry and Garrison Keillor, Hall wins a new kind of reader with this collecti
Published June 16th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Damn!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Damn!

Near the end of my summer in Florida, I figured I better read this book before I left and could no longer relate. And that's the thing, if the reader is familiar with Florida, like, really familiar with it, not just "spent a week there on spring break" kind of familiar, then s/he may find this collection of essays amusing, touching, and worthwhile. If one is not familiar with Florida, I'm not sure I would recommend this.

The essays are diverse, but all reach only about 4 pages in length. This is
Alex DeBlois
Essays are tricky. They often show a side of the author completely unrelated to the fiction they write. I have mixed feelings about how writers earn their living day-to-day and the novels they publish. Often they are so far removed, it's hard to keep my interest in the essays. Also they tend to be very provincial and timely as they are often originally consumed in a newspaper. Take the reader out of that time and away from the local knowledge the writer may presume and they become less interesti ...more
Drew
I decided to finish this since I had finished what I was reading and wanted a little break before I started my next book. Some of these essays are excellent but many are just so-so. Hall is handicapped by covering the same territory as Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen and it doesn't help that the book's cover promises more of their brand of south-Florida hilarity.
Vince Gotera
If this isn't the funniest book I've ever read, it's darn close. No, it is the funniest book I've ever read. Period. Bar none. Check it out. Get it for people on your Christmas or holiday list. Whatever. Your friends and relatives will love you for it.
Marc
An enjoyable but unmemorable compilation of articles written for the type of regional light-reading magazine that has been driven into irrelevance by blogs
Arlene Allen
1. I had James Hall as a teacher at FIU. 2. He has South Florida pegged. 3. He is funny as all hell.
Denise Shereff
A perfect Florida summer read!
Marv
Marv marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Ed Michniewicz
Ed Michniewicz marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Michelle Morgante
Michelle Morgante marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Joe Mcdaniel
Joe Mcdaniel marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jennifer Lauren Collins
Jennifer Lauren Collins marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Marcella
Marcella marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Susan Mckay
Susan Mckay marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Annette Gallagher
Annette Gallagher marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

James Wilson Hall is an Edgar and Shamus Award-winning author whose books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has written eighteen novels, four books of poetry, a collection of short stories, and a collection of He also won a John D. MacDonald Award for Excelle
More about James W. Hall...
Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1) Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7) Mean High Tide (Thorn, #3) Buzz Cut (Thorn, #5) Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)