Start by marking “Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send” as Want to Read:

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,250 ratings  ·  241 reviews
Damn You, Autocorrect! brings together some of the laugh-out-loud funny and painfully embarrassing posts from the hit website, which highlight the hilarity that often ensues when messaging goes wrong: girlfriends getting together for 'manila penis' (mani pedis); a husband texting his wife that he 'laid' the babysitter (paid); a friend asking if someone got tickets to the ' ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Damn You, Autocorrect!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn You, Autocorrect!

Loederkoningin
Now everyone who has ever used autocorrect (though autocorrect would much rather refer to itself as autoerect) must have experienced some of the mortifying situations described in this book..

Person 1: Sup, I'm at my place getting anal
Person 2: Dude naw
Person 1: Snack
Shit it autocorrects to anal inmeant snack. Dude that was the worst autocorrect mistake ever.

Person 1: I am soooo thirsty. Can you buy me a huge bottle of water on your way home?
Person 2: Yea. Of course. Why are you so thirsty?
Perso
TL
Apr 21, 2015 TL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Deborah Markus
Shelves: favorites
These types of books depend on your sense of humor I think, what some find funny others might only find "meh" or "mildly hilarious" Alot of the time I fall on the "meh" side with these humor books. I'm always wary but willing to try them out.

Luckily this time was one of the exceptions :).

Auto Correct was on my first Android phone... I wasn't too bothered by it at first but then it started giving me goofy substitutes for words or correcting a word after I typed it three times before it decided T
Deborah Markus
Dear Authors Of High-Concept Nonfiction:

People buy your books because the title tells them exactly what they need to know.

In this case, I knew before I even opened it that I was holding a collection of inadvertently hilarious text messages -- messages sent by people who innocently assumed their phones would not change family-friendly words like "pen" to "penis," thereby drastically changing the entire drift of messages like "I needed a pen and he wouldn't let me borrow one" or "I broke my pen a
Nikki
I think everyone gets to the stage where sometimes they just need to read something silly to clear out their brain, right? I was in that state when I was in Italy a few months ago, and ended up on damnyouautocorrect.com... So when I saw the book, I couldn't help but want to pick it up. Some of them I was familiar with already, and it is fairly mindless fun, but it is funny. From Freudian slips to surrealism, there's a whole world of badly autocorrected texts in here.

Proooobably not really worth
Saman
All and all it was worth it. I had a few good laughs.
Kayla Cagan
Sometimes I need a quick mind cleanser between reading novels. I don't usually pick up books that are crafted out of websites or technology flaws, and though I read humor essays and memoirs, I don't usually pick up joke books. But this little gem kept me cracking up, literally LOLing with tears falling down my face, for the last couple of weeks. I don't always laugh when I think something is funny - sometimes it's just a nod or a smirk or a mental note to myself that, "hey, that was funny," but ...more
Eva Leger
I'll keep this short and sweet ~ most of the texts shown in this book are worthy of a chuckle or two. Maybe about, say, 65%. Give or take. About 20% are so damn funny I cried - numerous times - while reading them. As in, read a hilarious one and cry, stop, read another one, cray again, stop, here we go again, stop. Yeah. I'm for real. Then the other 15% or so didn't even belong.
IMO the hilarious ones, that 20% or so make the book worth getting and reading alone. I have to be honest though - I se
Jessica
Pretty quick funny read.
Jen Carstairs
Motherducker!!! Autocockblock sucks!

I recommend this to everyone except for children under the age of 15 (because of the foul words; never occurred to me that smart phones are also perv phones!) and people with heart diseases (they might accidentally have a heart attack because of too much laughing!) because all of us need a hearty laugh once in a while!

I think what made this book funny is the fact that it happened and is still happening to people with perv smart phones!

I don't have a smart phon
Ann
Tears pouring down my face I was laughing so hard! I was trying to read my kids some of the more innocent ones, and I couldn't even speak I was laughing so hard! Read this in one sitting... Great for a laugh!!
David
V živote som sa pri žiadnej knihe toľko nenasmial. Fakt super.
sam sam
Laugh my ass off with this book! Seriously, read these as an examples:

#1 - I broke my penis and it exploded all over my pants.
#1 - Son of a bitch... my pen... I broke my pen.
#2 - Hahahahahaha no fucking way. No. Fucking. Way. No way in hell did that just happen.
#2 - This makes my week.
#2 - I love you, man. I love you.

----------

#1 - Dude are you okay? All I hear is coughing coming from your cubicle!
#2 - Ha. Yea I'm fine. I just choked on my cock.
#2 - ***COKE
#2 - That was bad.
#2 - Wow. And on off
This is one of those books that it is perfect to dip in and out of when you don't have much time but you want something to make you giggle. My friend has a stack of this kind of book in her bathroom for people to flick through.

I'm sure that anyone who has ever used a phone with autocorrect will know the perils of sending a text without reading it first but hopefully most of us will never send messages quite as embarrassing as the ones in this book!

I snorted with laughter several times while read
Rebecca
This and Cake Wrecks both get the prize for making me laugh until I literally cry. I can't go to this web site at work any more, because I turn into a hysterically guffawing mess. That said, having the book around to dip into is a guaranteed pick-me-up for anyone who loves typos (especially from a software that seems to have a dirty mind) and the wit it takes to overcome them.

My personal favorites (safe for work):

Do ducks have jackets? http://damnyouautocorrect.com/2625/wh...

Relationship advice
Keith
Everyone who confronts technology on even the most occasional basis has experienced the strange phenomenon of autocorrect. In many instances it's a time saver when drafting a document or sending an email; however, autocorrect in the fast paced texting world can be embarrassing, hilarious and often both. Email and documents can be scanned for mistakes but a text is immediate and once sent it's gone The authors of Damn You Autocorrect have compiled hundreds of texts gone horribly wrong. This is o ...more
Bookish♥Sarah

This book claims these autocorrect disasters are from real people, but I don't buy that. Too many of them seem to be the same person. Same witty comebacks, same grammar, same weird capitalization of the word "phone." I do not deny that some of it was pretty funny... but for the most part it was just repetitious.

The most I can say is that it at least occupied me while my car was being serviced.
Ashley
I like funny autocorrects as much as the next gal, but I don't know, the book just seems like overkill. I can read most (if not all) of these - and more! - for free online, and though I did laugh a few times, there are funnier autocorrects out there.

My fave, though:
I'm wearing lettuce under my sweatpants so I'm warmer...
Stefanie
Can't say I've ever had bad autocorrects like in this book but as I was reading this I kept laughing so hard. Great book to read for a laugh if you're having a bad day or just need some stress relief. And I'll keep on hoping that my autocorrects never turn out like these because I don't know how well I'd be able to save myself if it did.
T.
Warning: Do not read this book in public! High probability of ugly loud laughs with danger of snorting.

This was so funny!!! I loved! Could read awkward autocorrect fail moments all day and never get tired!
Ruchita Mahimkar
Nov 15, 2012 Ruchita Mahimkar rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ruchita by: Internet!
Everyone who owns a smartphone surely must have said these words-DYAC!. Its a hilarious collection of some great autocorrect mistakes. Must read for everyone.. Its Fantastic!
Mehsi
Some of these autocorrects where really funny, and some were just just lame or not funny. Also I wonder, does no one check their texts before sending them? It seems not.

Nice book though. :)
Karen
An entertaining read for anybody who has ever sent or received a text.
Camille
Hilarious! Light, easy, quick, read a few a day for a good laugh! LOL
Rebecca Scaglione
Never would I thought that “Damn You, Autocorrect” by Jillian Madison (based on the website) would be so amazingly hilarious! I was downstairs with a friend, looking at books in our apartment complex’s book sharing library, and thought I’d open the book and see if some of the autocorrections in texts were funny.

They weren’t. They were RIDICULOUSLY HILARIOUS! Like laughing so hard I was literally crying.

For instance (from the back cover):

Person 1: Don’t worry, seriously. He’s crazy about you and
Sarai
Very fast, funny read! If you've enjoyed the website, you've gotta check out the book!

Book Description
Release Date: March 22, 2011
Sh#@ Your Phone Says

"Damn You, Autocorrect!"

If you own an iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, or any smartphone, there's a good chance you've screamed that phrase out at least once. In Damn You, Autocorrect!, Pop-culture blogger Jillian Madison shows you are not alone.

Filled with submissions from readers of her popular website, this laugh-out-loud funny book features cringe-wo
Rachel
This book was hilarious. I hope they never ever get rid of autocorrect because it creates some incredibly funny moments! The texts are separated into chapters and as an example of each chapter, I will include the first text from each:

1. Parents Just Don't Understand (Awkward Texts with Mom & Dad)

>>>Your mom and I are going to divorce next month
<<>>>I wrote Disney and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney.

2. Love Gone Wrong (When Couples Text)

>>>Don't
Leanne Bell
Ever sent a wrongly worded text? Made a complete fool of yourself sending an SMS? Well your not alone, read this book, it's hilarious.
Containing a collection of the funniest and most ridiculous ill-sent texts in the history of that wonderful spelling correcter known as auto-correct, this will have you snorting your drink out of your nose (so please stay away from anything fizzy!)
From the rude to the pure hilarious, this book contains them all, from weird exchanges with friends to cringe-worthy c
Silver
Jul 30, 2013 Silver rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good laugh
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
Damn you, Autocorrect is a collection of texts gone awry funny because of the smartphone autocorrect feature. This book was just plain hilarious. Although I can't help wondering if this feature is really such a perv. Many autocorrect situations are believable. But, some are a little too much I'm left doubting whether a phone could be this devilish. Hmm, guess I can't find that out since I don't have a smartphone. Maybe other reviewers can clear that up.

Okay, true or made-up, it really was crazy
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood
  • F My Life
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • F in Exams: The Best Test Paper Blunders
  • Dog Shaming
  • P.S. I Hate it Here: Kids' Letters from Camp
  • Found II: More of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
Dear Asshole: 101 Tear-Out Letters to the Morons Who Muck Up Your Life