Cel & Anna: A 22nd Century Love Story
read excerpt* *Different edition

Cel & Anna: A 22nd Century Love Story

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Cel & Anna is the opposite of the 2014 Spike Jonze movie HER. In the novel, a computer falls in love with a person rather than vice versa. This is confusing for everyone, especially for the computer. Cel tells his owner Anna Ringer that he loves her because "the roads without end all lead back to you." The more Cel tries to prove his love, the more chaos he ushers into...more
Published February 25th 2011 by Createspace

Sandy Neal
This is an effortless read with a delightful, surprising plot. It is believable and one doesn't have to stretch too much to find the world Lindsay Edmunds creates to be believable. That's the beauty of this book. It makes you imagine where society might go and how people might cope with the challenges of that world but everything is not alien. Even those who have not been sci-fi buffs will enjoy this book!
Debra Eve
It's the Middle Machine Age. People depend on smart cars to drive them around, to the point where they don't even know where they live. They subsist on instant coffee and nutrient-dense (but suspiciously-flavored) Food+.

Personal computers have become worker-companions who pay bills and taxes, shop and make appointments, since "coping with day-to-day life was no longer possible for anyone equipped merely with a brain."

You'd think all that technology would guaranty satisfying virtual sex, but no...more
Nancy
Jun 11, 2012 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Lindsay
This is a book I probably would not have picked up on my own. But having the pleasure of knowing author Lindsay Edmunds from Pittsburgh Goodreaders prompted me to read the book. As a rule, I am not really into books set in the future, but the story of Cel & Anna, kept me interested on a number of levels. I especially like the ending which tied up so much of the story. As I was reading, especially early on, I did not like all the odd names of characters and objects and places and that there w...more
Christa
Mix a twenty-second century version of Aldois Huxley's "Brave New World" with a heartfelt story of love and friendship and you get the fabulous and fascinating tale of "Cel & Anna: A 22nd Century Love Story."

I was looking forward to Lindsay Edmunds debut novel, having read her interesting blog posts, and I was not disappointed. "Cel & Anna" is a delightful page turner about a live computer who falls in love with its owner. Cel, the computer, orders thousands of flowers for Anna from a f...more
Susan Eisenberg
CEL & ANNA is the most original book I've read in a long time--and I just finished it for the second time. It's the story of a personal computer who gains consciousness and falls in love with its owner, only to cause a massive disruption in the universe.

Part fantasy, part love story, part adventure, this touching novel is less about Cel, the computer, than about his human owner's awakening to real and lasting love. After a lifetime of loneliness Anna Ringer finally learns to trust the one p...more
Allbooks Review International
Genre: Science Fiction

Title: Cel & Anna: A 22nd Century Love Story

Author: Lindsay E. Edmunds

Cel and Anna is a story about a girl named Anna, her computer Cel, and a computer genius, Taz. In this book, a reader will take a journey to the future where everyone’s lives depend a great deal on the technology that they live with. Anna is the main character in the story and she has a computer that she has nick-named Cel. In the book, Cel has come alive and he loves Anna. To show his love Cel order...more
Rute Canhoto
Sue Owen
I had to laugh when I read the synopsis of this story. It was hard for me to picture how the author was going to pull off such a feat … a love story between a human and a robot? Seriously? Brings to mind some of the really ditzy blondes I know. But she pulled it off. This is truly a great love story and Anna is neither ditzy nor blonde.

I liked the progression of this story a lot. The interaction between Cel who knew he was in love from the very beginning to Anna and the outcome that was inevita...more
Valentina
I’m not sure I’ll ever look at a computer the same way again after reading this book. What a marvelous story! This is the type of book that makes me glad self-publishing exists.
The sci-fi premise has never been one of my favorites, mainly because the authors rely so much on world building and bizarre terms, that the actual stories never come through. This book is an exception. There is some world building, of course, but it is very interesting and never grows dull. The reader is not inundated wi...more
Gloria
This book had me at the opening - there's virtual sex in a bunny suit going on.

I'm not often driven to pick up sci-fi, but Cel & Anna was a satisfying and fun read built on a clever and twisty plot, vivid and wonderful images, compelling characters, and lots of humor--oh yes, and it's a love story. So I'm always in for that.

But it's a different kind of love story, of course, because it's a science fiction love story, and our noble suitor isn't a man or a being from another planet, he is a co...more
Grace
Author Lindsay Edmunds creates a delightfully intriguing 22nd century world filled with intelligent machines and not so intelligent people who mentally subsist on the drivel and twisted news supplied to them by the government. It's nearly impossible to not get caught up in the Middle Machine Age, the intelligent cars, virtual sex, and the idea that your computer could come to life.

Anna Ringer leads a double life. She's one of the few to make it out of the UnderWorld, the bleak parts of the Reun...more
Maria
Cel and Anna is a delightful science fiction novel. The premise is George Orwell-esque from his novel 1984 where "big brother" is watching everything you do - without the overwhelming darkness.

The synopsis tells you everything you need to know about this book. It starts off a little slow for me, but the pace picks up and then continues at a good clip. The concept of a computer falling in love with a woman is pretty unique; thus, enjoyable to read about.

The characters were well-written, even Cel...more
Erin
I cannot tell you how delighted I was by this book. It’s sci-fi, of a sort, but not like most of what I’ve read. Edmunds is clearly interested in our relationship with machines and about the direction we are heading together. Through her novel, she explores some really fascinating themes involving technology, human beings, and the natural world. The images she conjures for the reader are all the more impactful because of how deftly she plays with what we expect to see.

The three main characters —...more
Tamara Epps
Cel and Anna is completely different from any other futuristic end-of-the-world books I've ever read. This in large part is due to the fact that the characters are the main point of the story, rather than the technology that surrounds them. Not to mention that it is set just before the downfall of the world, rather than after it.

Lindsay Edmunds has a very unique storytelling style which I have to admit felt a little bland to begin with but soon I became engrossed in the story and the style simpl...more
Dawn
I give up! I only made it to chapter 29 but I couldn't take it any more...this book is just God OFFAL! Like I stated in one of my status updates on the book, the story line isn't coherent at some points. It talks about some things that seem unimportant in too much depth and then not enough on things that seem more important. For instance when Anna went to the airport it listed everything that she saw and heard but when the book got to Taz and Anna's first kiss it was Barely ONE SENTENCE! This is...more
Tyler Cavanagh

I loved the beginning of the book. The interesting and well thought out descriptions of the future of technology seemed beautifully realistic, especially in the flaws.

Please note the rest of my review may contain some spoilers.

The only thing that let me down was the last third of the book. It almost seemed like characters were haphazardly added to create an ending that was a little too cookie cutter for me. I wish that the same delicate hand had finished the story as the one which started it....more
Karen S.
Cel and Anna is one of the few science fiction books I have read... I brought it with me on a trip to Paris and read it on the flight. I really enjoyed it!!!
The plot revolves around a love triangle consisting of Anna, a young intuitive, Cel, her love-struck computer, and Taz, the geeky but loyal neighbor. The lovers are persecuted by the Reunited States security system due to glitches in the internet that have been initiated unknowingly by Cel.

The characters in the book are unusual and fun, the...more
Leah
I liked this book a ton! I wasn't sure ever sure how it was going to end. It was fast paced yet gave enough description about charters and events.

One aspect of the book that was very thought provoking was how much people depended on technology. So much to the point that they did not know their physical address or how to get home. Which is important if you are caught outside of your home during a emergency. I also found the underlying theme of being prepared useful. This would make a good Book C...more
Sharon Phillips
I got this as a free book from Amazon and didn't expect much. I was surprised! What a sweet, engaging, futuristic novel, where a simple computer falls in love with a woman, expresses it by ordering her flowers, and threatens all of societal order. There were enough similarities to today's world that it led me to reflect on our current way of living. Highly enjoyable, a quick read.
Alison
This book started out so promising, and then disappointed. It began as an intriguing critique of our dependence on computers and our lack of personal connections. It ended with a neat, trite conclusion with all the loose ends wrapped up in a bow. This book was headed for a dark finish, which would have been so much more satisfying and believable than the sit-com ending.
Patricia Zashkoff
I didn't love it but it had some great quallities. The characters were believable and even the computer was believable. What a world it would be if computers could be like Cel. I want one now.
Joy
Quirky story that kept me reading in spite of some stylistic oddities. I am not sure I got the author's point, but it was an interesting journey.
Kristina Franken
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Sylvia
Excellent book! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit different in the dystopian/future-set genre.
Yy
Jun 27, 2011 Yy marked it as to-read
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Hope to read it soon. Thanks.
Liza
Thoroughly enjoyed!
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Joseph Chasen
Joseph Chasen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lindsay Edmunds lives a quiet normal life in southwestern Pennsylvania, except when she is writing. Her fiction reflects two longstanding interests: fantasy and the relationships people have with machines. The first computer she ever owned was a Mac Plus, circa 1988. That little beige toaster changed her life.

Her favorite movie of all time is Local Hero. She is a fan of Mystery Science Theater 300...more
More about Lindsay Edmunds...
Lighthorse Magic and Other Stories Warning: Something Else Is Happening Blood Psychics Blood Psychics Warning: Something Else Is Happening