Start by marking “A Dark and Deadly Deception” as Want to Read:
A Dark and Deadly Deception

A Dark and Deadly Deception (Marti MacAlister #13)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Chicago detective Marti MacAlister has her work cut out for her these days. First, during the filming of a big Hollywood movie on location in Lincoln Prairie, the body of one of the film's stars turns up dead, along the shores of the Des Plaines River. Then, the skeletal remains of another gunshot victim turn up in a hundred year old building that is being renovated. The c ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published November 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Dark and Deadly Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark and Deadly Deception

William 'bill'
Actually, I did not finish this book; I gave up on it after 30 pages. Sorry, life is too short to make myself read fiction that I don't find engaging. I see that this is the 13th book in Eleanor Taylor Bland's series featuring Marti MacAlister as a career police detective in a small town near Chicago. Maybe I should start with the first in the series so that I would have the benefit of the main characters being developed incrementally from one book to the next. In this one, Marti and her partner ...more
Beth
This book includes some interesting references to the Monuments Men, the Allied officers in World War II charged with protecting art in Europe. I was a little disappointed when it turned out that they had nothing to do with plot. I guess Taylor Bland just wanted to show off her knowledge of history?

It gets weirder and weirder with the issue of time and aging in this series. MacAlister's late husband was a Vietnam vet, and this fact is mentioned in every book I've read--and when this book was pub
Linda
This is the first I've read in the series. I like Marti and her parter Vik. I especially like their relationships with their families. The mystery wasn't extraordinary, but the plot held my interest well enough. I would read more in this series, but I hope they aren't all so poorly copy-edited. There were several errors in this one, and a few went beyond annoying to actually obscuring the meaning. The most egregious: the gardener had put in "boarders of annuals." Yikes!
Kae Cheatham
This Marti McCallister Mystery has really good police procedure and well-defined characters. The story had an interesting mix of cold case and modern crime, as Marti initially investigates the drowning death of an actress, Explanations at the end seemed forced and some parts weren’t well explained.
Vivian
Vivian added it
Dec 09, 2014
Corris
Corris added it
Oct 03, 2014
Sherman,
Sherman, marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Nell
Nell marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Pamela Bell English
Pamela Bell English marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
A
A marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Jenene
Jenene marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
Marla
Marla marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Eleanor Taylor Bland was an African American writer of crime fiction. She was the creator of Lincoln Prairie, Illinois (based on Waukegan, Illinois) police detective Marti McAllister.
More about Eleanor Taylor Bland...
See No Evil (Marti MacAlister, #6) Dead Time (Marti MacAlister, #1) Gone Quiet (Marti MacAlister, #3) Done Wrong (Marti MacAlister, #4) Slow Burn (Marti MacAlister, #2)