Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Arctic Nation” as Want to Read:
Arctic Nation
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Arctic Nation (Blacksad #2)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,353 ratings  ·  57 reviews
In questa seconda puntata, Blacksad il detective, il gatto nero, si confronta con un'organizzazione criminale l'Arctic Nation, costituita da volpi polari, ermellini e gufi bianchi, il loro capo è Karup, un orso, bianco naturalmente. L'ordine costituito da questi estremisti fanatici ha come obiettivo un nemico: tutti gli animali colorati, Blacksad sarà accompagnato nella su ...more
Paperback, Rizzoli Lizard, 58 pages
Published January 2010 by Rizzoli (first published 2003)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Arctic Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arctic Nation

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 1,667)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Malapata
La historia no es nada del otro mundo, jugando con los tópicos del género negro. Pero los dibujos son increíbles, tanto los escenarios como, sobre todo, los personajes.
Raquel
Dec 09, 2013 Raquel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Raquel by: my brother
Depois de ter lido "Blacksad - Algures entre as sombras" não podia deixar de ler o Volume 2, que nos leva a seguir John Blacksad, o nosso detective privado, na busca por uma criança raptada, a pequena Kyle, numa cidade onde reinam os supremacistas brancos. O ambiente é claramente o de uma América de 1950, onde o racismo estava latente, mas também são abordados temas como pedofilia e problemas socioeconómicos.
Gostei imenso da abordagem da pureza racial, embora seja difícil trabalhar o tema tendo
...more
Fredrik Strömberg
The second volume and this is stil really, really good entertainment. The script is clear and easy to follow without being self-evident. Recreating the racial tensions in the US of the 1950s with anthropomorphic characters that are divided into white and black works on several levels. For me, reading this now, sadly resonates much more with my own country and my own time, than the first time I read this book. Now. we've got a major Swedish party which has based its ideals on nationalism and fasc ...more
carl caesar
No puedo más que maravillarme de este tomo. Me parece realmente fantástico, con un tono de novela negra genial, la ambientación en el crack del 29 le da una estética impresionante que casa a la perfección con el impresionante dibujo, que es sencillamente espectacular.

La historia esta basada en el racismo y la venganza, un concepto bastante usado en general, pero que le permite dar unas cuantas vueltas de tuerca al argumento, que nos deja con un final que... Bueno, mejor que lo veáis vosotros mis
...more
Husti
Una guión sencillo pero sólido y un dibujo más que excelente, como en el primer álbum, quizá mejor ¿Qué más se puede pedir? Se lee y se relee con muchísimo gusto.
Jimmakos Gavagias
Pretty interesting.i liked how characters were impersonated from animals
Aildiin
Blacksad takes on racism, as good if not better than the first one
Effymathers
Si le premier tome a été un franc succès.... Le second tome fut pour moi un véritable coup de coeur. Je ne saurais dire s'il s'agit du personnage de plus en plus attachant, ou du thème encore plus plaisant, mais je n'ai pu me détacher une seconde de cette Bande Déssinée.



On retrouve évidemment Blacksad, le fameux chat noir détective en pleine enquête chargé de retrouver une petite enfant noire kidnappée. Seulement voilà, le contexte est bel et bien difficile : une discrimination infâme, et je pès
...more
Willem van den Oever
With the first ‘Blacksad’ comic, writer Díaz Canalez and artist Guarnido amazed the reader with a detective-story, populated with animals, which contained enough edge to lift it above any kind of Disney rip-off. It was a layered, mature story, brilliantly executed and drawn.

With the series second chapter, ‘Arctic Nation’ – a kidnap story with its roots placed firmly in a 1950’s America when racism ruled its society – Guarnido’s art is as excellent as his previous work. Having been an animator, t
...more
João  Cardeira Jorge
“Arctic Nation” is a wonderful follow-up to Blacksad's first volume. The art is still superb, with amazing detail, beautiful color and just magnificent drawings. The character´s design and facial expressions are particularly admirable. When it comes to art this volume is truly a masterpiece.
The way every character is an “animal” and how that combines with the the noir genre and the 1950's is still as refreshing an idea and as interesting as in the first volume.
But also like in the first volume,
...more
Saoirse
J'avais beaucoup aimé le premier, j'ai adoré retrouver le personnage de Blacksad dans cette deuxième aventure. C'est encore une ambiance très sombre que l'on retrouve ici. Les dessins sont toujours aussi beaux, l'intrigue est prenante, au final on n'a plus l'impression de voir des animaux mais réellement des êtres humains avec leurs défauts.
J'ai beaucoup aimé le personnage de Weekly qui apporte une petite touche d'humour et de légèreté à ce tome bien triste.
Lawrence Denes
A much more ambitious work, and vast improvement over the first installment. The character of Blacksad becomes more developed both through art and story, and he really drives this story along. The world of Blacksad is also much more fully realized and more interesting than it was laid out in the first book. If you weren't hooked by the first book, give this one a shot.
Small Creek
I realise my review of graphic novels is mainly dependent on how amazing their art is. Rest assured that Blacksad's art is a constant bonus to the translation, which makes slightly shallow reading. I had a glimpse at the French text and it read quite a lot nicer than the English.

A note on the plot: white supremacy is really, really disturbing realised with anthropomorphic animals. So are most of the other plot points in Blacksad: racial purity, pedophilia, socioeconomic issues...on the other han
...more
Ricardo Alves
Arctic-Nation (2003,) uma incursão muito conseguida no asfixiante universo das subterrâneas organizações racistas.
Subroto
Feel under immense pleasure to say I love it but can't - cos I did not.

I know I know how can i ?

I know this is a multiple award winning book .....but i gotta be honest to myself.

The book did not move me or excite me the way i had expected it to be.

It was neither a great noir nor a great story played cleverly by executing human elements / traits via animal faces / identities.

For me this was not as good as they all said it would be.

Maybe some other time when i return to it like one does to a
...more
Electric
Tolle Kunst. Leider hinkt sowohl der Inhalt wie auch das Format der Story den Einzelbildern hinterher. Dabei klingt das alles sehr gut: rassismus, verschwörungen, antropomorphe Giguren in den 40er Jahren. Inhaltlich bleiben dann aber leider doch hauptsächlich Klischees und Verwirrung zurück. Vom schlechten Lettering der deutschen Version mal ganz zu schweigen...Trotz allem unterhaltsam und ein echter Augenschmaus.
Wieder ein Versuch ein klassisches europäisches Album toll zu finden. Wieder gesche
...more
Jose Carlos
Otra joya más. Misma calidad técnica y una historia muy bien contada.
Brenda
Canales leaves me only wanting more in these incredible books.
Pranay
In my review for the first volume i had wished for a better story to compliment the art and viola! The second volume is just pure awesome. The story is not only fast paced but has a lot of twists and turns. The art is again top notch. Canales & Guarnido are a deadly combo as they have proved with this tale.
The Story revolves around the kidnapping of a child in a small town which is still behind times. Actually I would not want to reveal much of the story and would recommend that the reader j
...more
Jerom
Tiene planchas que son realmente magistrales...
Silviia
E anche il secondo numero di Blacksad conferma la mia prima impressione, davvero ben fatto!
Paul
A little lesser in quality than the first book, owing to how Canales puts a bit too much story into this short graphic novel... the conspiracy is a bit too far reaching, the betrayals too frequent, and the coincidences coming at too fast a clip. For all that, it's a fun ride, story-wise, and once again the real hero of the graphic novel is Guarnido's art, which is effective at both the personal and grand levels.

Wish we could get that guy on American comics. And by "American comics" I mean "Amer
...more
José Nebreda
Más de lo mismo. Buenísimo.
Mariana
This was a series that I wished to read for a long time.
I don't even know what to say. Bought this book in the last Comics festival and it's just perfect.. The graphism, drawings the plot. it's perfect.
It's a book That everyone should read if presented with the opportunity to.
Talks about racism in a society ruled by Albino animals.
About animals, these are the best furries I've ever seen, definitely the best conjugation of Human x animal.
The story is heavily emotional. I just love it
Mirrordance
una soria di razzismo in una ipotetica "enclave" bianca con animali "albini" o delle nevi e reminiscenze alla ku-klux-Clan. Valgono i medesimi commenti del numero precedente. Atmosfere cupe, perplessità nella scelta stilistica degli animali antropomorfi.
Raisu
I'm not the biggest fan of the hard boiled, bourbon and femme fatales blah blah detective stories, which is broadly the genre Blacksad belongs to. But the artwork is so freaking spectacular, that I had to read it. And the story's not too bad, if not all that memorable either. Extra kudos for the use of the song Strange Fruit. Those are some genius lyrics right there, and the atmosphere in the scene they're used is pretty intense.
Marlène
Un deuxième tome plus abouti que le premier, avec une intrigue plus complexe et un peu plus de temps pour la voir se dénouer. Des dessins et couleurs toujours aussi géniaux et un Blacksad que je trouve de plus en plus class. Avec quelques échanges pleins d'humour malgré le thème choisi.
Et en prime, "Strange Fruit" en fond sonore pour un Blacksad désabusé face à la justice... Bien placé.
David Schaafsma
The story is good, but the art is amazing. One of the great things about this volume is an extended essay as an appendix about how Guarnido did the artwork. Fascinating, so helpful to those of us who come to these books largely from a literary perspective... amazingly helpful. Forces you to slow down and read the visuals in a more thoughtful way.
Krzysztof
Even better than the first one, but suffers from the same problem - a rather rushed, hastily explained ending which shows the plot to be less well created than it initially seems to be. However, I totally dig the Arctic Nation idea behind the plot and all - very clever.
Jani
What a piece of art. Each panel is like a painting I would be proud to have in my wall. The animals are so human like and have so lifelike expression. Absolutely gorgeus.

Story is your typical detective story ... but then again, that's what it's supposed to be.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 55 56 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Les Quantités négligeables (Le combat ordinaire, #2)
  • Le Pays Qâ (Thorgal, #10)
  • Lady Vivian Hastings (Long John Silver, #1)
  • Peter Pan: Mains rouges (Peter Pan, #4)
  • Arrugas
  • Idées noires : L'intégrale
  • Wake: Fire and Ash (Sillage, #1)
  • La marque jaune (Blake et Mortimer, #6)
  • The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion
  • L'odeur de la poussière chaude (Aâma #1)
  • Portugal
2266124
Juan Díaz Canales is a Spanish comics artist and an animated film director, known as the co-creator of Blacksad.
More about Juan Díaz Canales...

Other Books in the Series

Blacksad (6 books)
  • Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)
  • Ame rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)
  • Blacksad
Blacksad Blacksad (Blacksad, #1) L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4) Ame rouge (Blacksad, #3) Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)

Share This Book

No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »