Start by marking “Arctic Nation” as Want to Read:
Arctic Nation

Arctic Nation (Blacksad #2)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,512 ratings  ·  60 reviews
In questa seconda puntata, Blacksad il detective, il gatto nero, si confronta con un'organizzazione criminale l'Arctic Nation, costituita da volpi polari, ermellini e gufi bianchi, il loro capo è Karup, un orso, bianco naturalmente. L'ordine costituito da questi estremisti fanatici ha come obiettivo un nemico: tutti gli animali colorati, Blacksad sarà accompagnato nella su ...more
Published January 2010 by Rizzoli Lizard (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Arctic Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arctic Nation

João Carlos

“Blacksad – Arctic - Nation”, segundo livro de banda desenhada de dois jovens autores espanhóis, Díaz Canales (n. 1972), argumentista e Guarnido (n. 1967), desenhador, numa publicação conjunta do jornal Público/Edições Asa, Volume 3 da “Colecção Grandes Autores de Banda Desenhada” editada em 2008 em Portugal, num volume que engloba dois álbuns - “Blacksad – Algures Entre as Sombras” e “Blacksad – Artic - Nation”.
No segundo volume “Arctic – Nation” o detective Blacksad, o gato preto, conhece o jo
David Schaafsma
This is the third in the Blacksad series I am reading, this one the second volume, though the order doesn't really seem to matter. Start anywhere. I liked the first one best, in part because the characters as animals approach was so well done, and it was so fresh for me; I liked the fourth volume less well. This one is sort of in between. It's a little too much story for 56 pages, I think, but as with all of these in this series, the storytelling and dialogue take second place anyway to the amaz ...more
Raquel
May 13, 2015 Raquel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Raquel by: my brother
Blacksad, com argumento de Juan Díaz Canales e desenho de Juanjo Guarnido, trata-se de uma série de banda desenhada espanhola (embora o target seja sobretudo o público francês), que acompanha John Blacksad, um detective privado.

Blacksad – Arctic Nation trata-se do volume 2 da série de banda desenhada dos espanhóis Canales e Guarnido e aborda a questão de violência inter-racial e da segregação racial existente num subúrbio ficcional da América, chamado The Line. Outras problemáticas referidas são
Malapata
La historia no es nada del otro mundo, jugando con los tópicos del género negro. Pero los dibujos son increíbles, tanto los escenarios como, sobre todo, los personajes.
Constanza
4.5

Much better story than the first volume!
Jimmakos Gavagias
Pretty interesting.i liked how characters were impersonated from animals
Aildiin
Blacksad takes on racism, as good if not better than the first one
Fredrik Strömberg
The second volume and this is stil really, really good entertainment. The script is clear and easy to follow without being self-evident. Recreating the racial tensions in the US of the 1950s with anthropomorphic characters that are divided into white and black works on several levels. For me, reading this now, sadly resonates much more with my own country and my own time, than the first time I read this book. Now. we've got a major Swedish party which has based its ideals on nationalism and fasc ...more
Willem van den Oever
With the first ‘Blacksad’ comic, writer Díaz Canalez and artist Guarnido amazed the reader with a detective-story, populated with animals, which contained enough edge to lift it above any kind of Disney rip-off. It was a layered, mature story, brilliantly executed and drawn.

With the series second chapter, ‘Arctic Nation’ – a kidnap story with its roots placed firmly in a 1950’s America when racism ruled its society – Guarnido’s art is as excellent as his previous work. Having been an animator, t
João  Cardeira Jorge
“Arctic Nation” is a wonderful follow-up to Blacksad's first volume. The art is still superb, with amazing detail, beautiful color and just magnificent drawings. The characters design and facial expressions are particularly admirable. When it comes to art this volume is truly a masterpiece.
The way every character is an “animal” and how that combines with the the noir genre and the 1950's is still as refreshing an idea and as interesting as in the first volume.
But also like in the first volume,
Sara  (LitHacker.com)
A more intricate and thematic plot, with nods to Devil in a Blue Dress. Art and story work together thematically on a higher level than the first book. The art is so striking!
Subroto
Feel under immense pleasure to say I love it but can't - cos I did not.

I know I know how can i ?

I know this is a multiple award winning book .....but i gotta be honest to myself.

The book did not move me or excite me the way i had expected it to be.

It was neither a great noir nor a great story played cleverly by executing human elements / traits via animal faces / identities.

For me this was not as good as they all said it would be.

Maybe some other time when i return to it like one does to a
carl caesar
No puedo más que maravillarme de este tomo. Me parece realmente fantástico, con un tono de novela negra genial, la ambientación en el crack del 29 le da una estética impresionante que casa a la perfección con el impresionante dibujo, que es sencillamente espectacular.

La historia esta basada en el racismo y la venganza, un concepto bastante usado en general, pero que le permite dar unas cuantas vueltas de tuerca al argumento, que nos deja con un final que... Bueno, mejor que lo veáis vosotros mis
Husti
Una guión sencillo pero sólido y un dibujo más que excelente, como en el primer álbum, quizá mejor ¿Qué más se puede pedir? Se lee y se relee con muchísimo gusto.
Effymathers
Si le premier tome a été un franc succès.... Le second tome fut pour moi un véritable coup de coeur. Je ne saurais dire s'il s'agit du personnage de plus en plus attachant, ou du thème encore plus plaisant, mais je n'ai pu me détacher une seconde de cette Bande Déssinée.

On retrouve évidemment Blacksad, le fameux chat noir détective en pleine enquête chargé de retrouver une petite enfant noire kidnappée. Seulement voilà, le contexte est bel et bien difficile : une discrimination infâme, et je pès
Saoirse
J'avais beaucoup aimé le premier, j'ai adoré retrouver le personnage de Blacksad dans cette deuxième aventure. C'est encore une ambiance très sombre que l'on retrouve ici. Les dessins sont toujours aussi beaux, l'intrigue est prenante, au final on n'a plus l'impression de voir des animaux mais réellement des êtres humains avec leurs défauts.
J'ai beaucoup aimé le personnage de Weekly qui apporte une petite touche d'humour et de légèreté à ce tome bien triste.
Lawrence Denes
A much more ambitious work, and vast improvement over the first installment. The character of Blacksad becomes more developed both through art and story, and he really drives this story along. The world of Blacksad is also much more fully realized and more interesting than it was laid out in the first book. If you weren't hooked by the first book, give this one a shot.
Small Creek
I realise my review of graphic novels is mainly dependent on how amazing their art is. Rest assured that Blacksad's art is a constant bonus to the translation, which makes slightly shallow reading. I had a glimpse at the French text and it read quite a lot nicer than the English.

A note on the plot: white supremacy is really, really disturbing realised with anthropomorphic animals. So are most of the other plot points in Blacksad: racial purity, pedophilia, socioeconomic issues...on the other han
Ricardo Alves
Arctic-Nation (2003,) uma incursão muito conseguida no asfixiante universo das subterrâneas organizações racistas.
Electric
Tolle Kunst. Leider hinkt sowohl der Inhalt wie auch das Format der Story den Einzelbildern hinterher. Dabei klingt das alles sehr gut: rassismus, verschwörungen, antropomorphe Giguren in den 40er Jahren. Inhaltlich bleiben dann aber leider doch hauptsächlich Klischees und Verwirrung zurück. Vom schlechten Lettering der deutschen Version mal ganz zu schweigen...Trotz allem unterhaltsam und ein echter Augenschmaus.
Wieder ein Versuch ein klassisches europäisches Album toll zu finden. Wieder gesche
Jose Carlos
Otra joya más. Misma calidad técnica y una historia muy bien contada.
Brenda
Canales leaves me only wanting more in these incredible books.
Pranay
In my review for the first volume i had wished for a better story to compliment the art and viola! The second volume is just pure awesome. The story is not only fast paced but has a lot of twists and turns. The art is again top notch. Canales & Guarnido are a deadly combo as they have proved with this tale.
The Story revolves around the kidnapping of a child in a small town which is still behind times. Actually I would not want to reveal much of the story and would recommend that the reader j
Jerom
Tiene planchas que son realmente magistrales...
Silviia
E anche il secondo numero di Blacksad conferma la mia prima impressione, davvero ben fatto!
Paul
A little lesser in quality than the first book, owing to how Canales puts a bit too much story into this short graphic novel... the conspiracy is a bit too far reaching, the betrayals too frequent, and the coincidences coming at too fast a clip. For all that, it's a fun ride, story-wise, and once again the real hero of the graphic novel is Guarnido's art, which is effective at both the personal and grand levels.

Wish we could get that guy on American comics. And by "American comics" I mean "Amer
José Nebreda
Más de lo mismo. Buenísimo.
Mirrordance
una soria di razzismo in una ipotetica "enclave" bianca con animali "albini" o delle nevi e reminiscenze alla ku-klux-Clan. Valgono i medesimi commenti del numero precedente. Atmosfere cupe, perplessità nella scelta stilistica degli animali antropomorfi.
Raisu
I'm not the biggest fan of the hard boiled, bourbon and femme fatales blah blah detective stories, which is broadly the genre Blacksad belongs to. But the artwork is so freaking spectacular, that I had to read it. And the story's not too bad, if not all that memorable either. Extra kudos for the use of the song Strange Fruit. Those are some genius lyrics right there, and the atmosphere in the scene they're used is pretty intense.
  • Le Secret du janissaire (De Cape et de Crocs, #1)
  • Planter des clous (Le combat ordinaire, #4)
  • Wake: Gearing Up (Sillage, #3)
  • Lady Vivian Hastings (Long John Silver, #1)
  • Idées noires : L'intégrale
  • Arrugas
  • Coeur de canard (Donjon Zénith,#1)
  • Le Pays Qâ (Thorgal, #10)
  • Peter Pan: Mains rouges (Peter Pan, #4)
  • Aama, Vol. 1: The Smell of Warm Dust (Aama, #1)
  • Murena, Tome 1 : La pourpre et l'or
  • La marque jaune (Blake et Mortimer, #6)
  • Portugal
Juan Díaz Canales is a Spanish comics artist and an animated film director, known as the co-creator of Blacksad.
More about Juan Díaz Canales...

Blacksad (5 books)
  • Blacksad (Blacksad, #1)
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)
Blacksad Blacksad (Blacksad, #1) L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4) Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3) Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)