Start by marking “Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience” as Want to Read:
Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience

Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience

Meditation is like a love affair with your innermost self. At times it can be ecstatic and entrancing, other times simple and still-and sometimes you might not even feel its profound effects until later.

Now with Meditation for the Love of It, Sally Kempton shares practical secrets to help us turn meditation into an unconditional embrace of the fullness of our experience-on
Published February 1st 2011 by Sounds True (first published December 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Meditation for the Love of It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditation for the Love of It

James
Oct 18, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sixteenth-century Spanish mystic San Juan de La Cruz wrote extensively of the Dark Night of the Soul, of the spiritual obscurity that can precede awakening in the dawn, enfolded in the embrace of the Beloved. For this reason, he came to be known as The Spiritual Doctor. He diagnosed and prescribed remedies for so many situations that can deter seekers from spiritual life.

In the Tantric tradition of Kashmir Shaivism, darkness is no impediment to spiritual awakening. Just as Wordsworth proclaimed
Abby
Oct 24, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-reads, yoga
If you don't love meditation already, Kempton will convince you otherwise. Openhearted, funny, and genuine, Kempton approaches developing a personal meditation practice with great understanding for the challenges and frustrations ... and wonderful rewards that come with it. Sometimes I found her approach a little **too** religious, but it wasn't heavy-handed enough to turn me off. (I prefer my meditation and yoga to be God-lite.) What I loved the most was her breakdown of the different types of ...more
Oaktreeyoga Recommended
A brilliant book about meditation from a great teacher. Sally Kempton wears her great expertise very lightly and writes about her own experiences as well as those of her students.

In this book Sally describes techniques to help you to deepen your meditation practice, problems/hurdles/blocks that you might encounter along the way, as well as explaining the beautiful depths of meditation and the feelings of deep calm, peace, love that you will find there.

Not at all intimidating, this is a brilliant
Kirsten Astler
Jan 28, 2014 Kirsten Astler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will definitely buy this book. It is great to have handy as a manual for meditation practice. Sally Kempton does a fantastic job of putting into words things that are difficult to explain. I love the instructional three week plan towards the end that outlines what to do to help get you started.
YogaShelf
Jan 23, 2017 YogaShelf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meditation for the Love of It is a spiritual trove of information. This book is suited for both the newbie or the experienced meditator. Sally's book will help you establish your new practice or deepen your existing practice. A well-known spiritual teacher, Sally has 40 years experience in meditation.

Reasons to put Meditation for the Love of It on your bookshelf:
1. Trouble-shooting guide: I didn't expect to find a trouble-shooter in this book. What an awesome idea. The guide discusses many issue
Eva
The book offers a couple of useful practical guidelines on how to meditate, but I find Kempton's approach a little too religious which might be a turn-off for people with a mere secular interest in meditation and the book will probably leave them more confused than enlightened. Definitely not recommended for meditation newbies or anyone bothered by superficial, new-agey lingo.
Marshall
A book about tips for meditating in the Kashmir Shaivism tradition. I didn't expect this book to be so specific to this tradition, but it was interesting to read for that reason. I never understood yogic philosophy, and this book helped me make sense of it. But it also turned me off to it, and in some ways, confused me even more. Reading this book felt a little like a book on witchcraft I read a couple years back. Part of me was astonished that people actually believe this stuff, while part of m ...more
Hrönn
Jul 19, 2013 Hrönn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book about meditation from a great teacher. Sally Kempton wears her great expertise very lightly and writes about her own experiences as well as those of her students.

This book is a continuous resource for how t
Sibby
Aug 26, 2012 Sibby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I bought for myself with some birthday money, as I had completed a meditation workshop led by Sally Kempton. Her insights in the workshop led me to get this book. I am looking forward to reading it, it is next in the queue after the Red Garden.
Gosh, I have read this, ages ago, and have passed it on to several friends since.

Love, love LOVED this journey. So inspiring!
I'm sure it has provided some of the inspiration to finally go after my yoga teacher training, which starts next
Michael Kaplan
Mar 12, 2013 Michael Kaplan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you hve any inclination you might want to give meditation this excellent book explains that while meditation is a 'serious' practice it is easy to understand why you should pledge to do it, not to be trendy, BUT why it's so beneficial to your mental/phyical health and it's only cost is your dedication to do it. As a famous philosopher recently said, "DO OR DONOT THERE IS NO TRY" Yoda.
The most amazing thing about Buddhism is that it its clear, uncomplicated teachings which ll improve your ment
Robin Ripley
Perhaps I will reread this book when I become a more experience meditator. For now, I had a difficult time relating to much of the dreamlike meditation experiences the author described from her own meditation practice. My practice doesn't even come close to all the light, love and joy she manages to tap into.

I did, however, very much like the exercises to help explore the different ways to meditate and deepen the practice.
Kim H.
May 01, 2014 Kim H. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good guide to meditation with lots of detailed information about and from the Eastern religious traditions. Quite a lot of Sanskrit references, some of which the author assumes you may know already. I like the inclusion of yoga teachings, although it adds to the layers of meditation information which some readers may find confusing.
Tina
Jan 28, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga-meditation
I could read this book over and over and over again. Now I need to just do it!

"Meditate on your own Self, the one who is always there for you, the one who contains you in its stillness, the one who is always meditating on you."
Hope
Apr 06, 2013 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many practical meditation techniques and suggestions here and I like Kempton's voice. Unfortunately, I had to return this to the library before I could try all of them! Will definitely revisit this and look into her other books.
Michelle
Aug 06, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sally Kempton is a very non-dogmatic, compassionate meditation teacher. I like her approach in this book. However, for me, it is much more satisfying to practice meditation instead of reading about it, which I find vaguely frustrating for no good reason.
scott
Aug 16, 2011 scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to meditation for anyone who hasn't practiced it before. Kempton offers up many different techniques and methods for newcomers to try out. The basis for the practice is in Kashmir Shaivism, but she doesn't get at all dogmatic.
Emily
Oct 05, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've published a review here/
Carrie Ridgeway
Apr 10, 2016 Carrie Ridgeway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, yoga
Very good book for both new meditators and those who've practiced for a while. This is a book to come back to for a second reading. I highlighted so many passages!

Jyoti Singh
Please Read the Review here.... http://jcisnowjs.wordpress.com/2014/0...
Susan Niziurski
Sep 24, 2013 Susan Niziurski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good place to start to practice mediation. Sally Kempton teaches from the heart and allows you to begin or continue your journey into a meditation practice.
Jyoti Singh
Please Read my Review of this book here http://jcisnowjs.wordpress.com/2014/0...
Lois Bruss
Jan 28, 2013 Lois Bruss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sally is a great meditation teacher. The book is beautifully written with practices that are accessible and start at beginner levels and moving to deeper levels of meditation.
Krysta Gibson
Jan 30, 2016 Krysta Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this great book on meditation...she offers some of the best information and advice around...
Cyndi
Apr 27, 2013 Cyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A provocative read for me. Helpful, yet not a just-right fit. Will launch me into some similar territory. Now reading Thich Nhat Hanh.
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2011
Laurasmoot
Laurasmoot rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Kristen Engman
Kristen Engman rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence
  • The Four Desires: Creating a Life of Purpose, Happiness, Prosperity, and Freedom
  • Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body
  • A Life Worth Breathing: A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing
  • Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force
  • Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart (Compass)
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui

“When men imagine a female uprising, they imagine a world in which women rule men as men have ruled women.” 5 likes
“The mountain is the mountain, And the path unchanged since the old days. Verily what has changed is my own heart. —KUMAGAI[8]” 0 likes