Start by marking “Emotional Life of the Toddler” as Want to Read:
Emotional Life of the Toddler

Emotional Life of the Toddler

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  58 reviews
A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published May 1st 1995 by Free Press (first published August 23rd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Life of the Toddler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Life of the Toddler

Sonya Feher
The Emotional Life of the Toddler was published in 1993 and it suffers from the lack of some of the latest attachment research and access to more recently published parenting resources. Lieberman's chapters on "The Challenges of Being (and Raising) a Toddler" and "The Toddler in Childcare" are very good. The chapter about divorce and how to help a child negotiate all of the changes and tensions inherent in the break-up of a family offers a big picture understanding as well as specific advice. He ...more
Sara
A good book with real life examples. It helped me see things from the toddlers perspective. It stresses the importance of attachment behavior & a secure base for the toddler. some chapters were not relevant to me such as child care & the divorce situation. A good reference book for sure!
Sara Walsh
Now I just need The Emotional Life of the 39 year old male, and I'll be all set.
When I glanced at the back cover and saw the author was associated with UCSF, I smiled. UCSF has been such a great resources for pediatrics and education for us.

My aunt, who is a social worker who specializes in working with children, recommended this book. We are both fascinated with how kids think at such a young age, and this is a nice book for understanding child development. It's not entirely a parenting book; that is, it's less geared to telling parents what to do than it is to discussing
Amanda Harrison
When I started this book I was initially disappointed. The first chapter contained little enough new information that I almost put the book down and didn't pick it up. I did keep reading and actually found that the remaining book was quite good. The views on the inner life of the toddler provided some insight in to some sometimes seemingly strange actions. In particular, the talk about how anxiety can manifest itself in toddlers was extremely interesting and shed some light on how parents and ad ...more
Rosy
The Emotional Life of the Toddler explains the push and pull feelings that toddlers experience as part of the process of growing up from helpless baby to an independent young child. At its core, the book emphasizes the need for a "secure base" for toddlers, greatly favoring attachment parenting as the basis for a healthy relationship with your 1 to 3 year old.

I had higher hopes for this book and was disappointed at how little I learned from it. Perhaps since it was written in 1993, before the hu
Robin
This is the first parenting book I've read in full. The first third of the book was pretty repetitive, going on and on about the importance and significance of a "stable core" in a toddler's emotional development. But then I realized as I read further how that really is the foundation for all that is discussed later in the book-- and those later chapters were full of helpful insight for me, particularly the sections on fears and sleep. Though some are really cheesy, I also really enjoyed the cas ...more
John
This book taught me a lot about my daughter, myself, and my wife, and explained a lot about the relationships between us. I highly recommended it to my wife and I really hope she reads it.

The biggest criticism I have of this book is really a minor quibble: the use of (what to me are) ambiguous phrases like "in their first year" or "in their second year". Does "in their second year" apply to one-year olds or two-year olds? It seems to me like it should mean one-year olds, but it's just ambiguous
Layne
Layman's child psychology. Useful for getting a little understanding of why toddlers act the way they do with lots of real life sample scenarios.
Dan
Interesting read that gave some good perspective on Marielle's behavior and will hopefully give me more patience (although I only need to emulate my wife for that). The book was a little too "general reader" for my taste, i would have liked to hear more about the research behind the findings. related to that, i was skeptical about some of the authors statements (especially when not supported by a footnote). My favorite part was about siblings and how the older ones seemed to always want to put t ...more
While the author presents this material in a "scientific"way, referring to studies and a psychological analysis of toddlerhood, I found that the only helpful insights for parenting my kids were the same things I try to do using common sense and respect for my children as human beings. I did like the closing page of the book where the author argues that parenting your toddler gives you a practice run for parenting your teen... You have to learn how to let go just enough to maintain a close relati ...more
Esther
Beautiful prose that describes all the turmoils of the early milestones that are critical from a psychodynamic view -- the ability to develop attachment to others and the ability to differentiate from others. She really gives toddlers the benefit of the doubt-- her view of them is respectful, curious, wondrous of their interior life. Also, from a clinical perspective very helpful in understanding later problems of adulthood when these milestones are not accomplished in childhood.
Alex Templeton
Read for my child development class. Fascinating! I feel prepared to raise a toddler now. Ahem, overstatement. But I do feel more well informed. My only hesitation about this book is wondering just how accurate the author's perceptions of the toddler's emotional life can be. She's drawing conclusions based on behavior, but without the children's ability to communicate their feelings, how do we know with total certainty that an adult's interpretations of them to be accurate?
MusicalSilver
A very nice insight into the mindset of a Toddler. I did expect more discussion about solutions to various problems. For example, separation anxiety is discussed in detail, but not approaches that could be taken to mitigate it. Beyond this, it was a very good book.
Shelly
This wasn't the best book ever about toddlers, which is what I was expecting due to some recommendation or another, but it was definitely interesting, and I learned a lot about how toddlers feel and think, and I'm already treating Henry differently in some ways. I think it's worth reading if you're the parent of a toddler, but I also think it could be a much shorter book, and some of the gender nonsense in the divorce chapter was hard to take.
Cary
This book is a refreshing change from many parenting books in that it acknowledges both the parents' and the child's rights to be in a harmonious relationship, together. It identifies good ways to "negotiate" with a toddler... a person who has strong emotions and feelings but is unable to articulate needs clearly. I really like the respect that Dr. Lieberman gives to everyone, and the positive spin on tantrums, "irrational" behavior, etc.
Katlet
I found this to be a helpful glimpse into why toddlers are the way they are (at least, sometimes). It was reassuring to note that problematic behaviors (like tantrums) are both normal and necessary and not always a result of bad parenting.

Also - I found the connection between toddlerhood and adolescence to be interesting. Both ages deal with the struggle between individuation and connection.
Elizabby
Fantastic book with great insights into how toddlers think and feel and what people mean by "temperament" and why to make allowances for it. Not a hands-on parenting book that tells you "do this to get your child to do that", this is a thoughtful exploration of the inner world of someone who is still developing who they are. Excellent stuff - highly recommended for both parents and professionals.
Betsy
May 23, 2010 Betsy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: open minded Mommys, Nannys, and Dads
Recommended to Betsy by: found in Independent book store
Glad this book is on my book shelf. You find yourself referring to Chapters over and over. The book is actual case study's. I think the author did a good job of not making it over complicated. Some things were over stated but most were insightful on understanding your toddler... More important I am working with a soon to be Toddler and find this book very helpful.
Tauna
This is a very interesting book, giving lots of insight into who toddlers see things and how to nurture them emotionally. It was especially helpful for me in understanding temperaments and how they show themselves in the toddler years, separation anxiety, and using play to build up security. It's a bit of a plodding read but still had some interesting nuggets to offer.
Julie Dolan
Jul 01, 2008 Julie Dolan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
Recommended to Julie by: a mother and early childhood education major
Shelves: parenting, toddler
I read this book over a year, something I don't recommend. I found it useful. There are many examples of children at various toddler ages that are used to illustrate points. I found these examples to be helpful both in demonstrating a point, and in giving me places to compare my child. I recommend this book to children entering toddlerhood, as well as those already there.
Hannah
Maybe this got better, but I had to put it down--at least the first few chapters were nothing new (blah blah, toddlers are testing boundaries to learn about the world). If you haven't already read a lot about toddlers, this is probably a good place to start. Also, the stonewashed baggy overalls on the cover model are pretty hilarious.
Megan Shriver
I found this useful as my son was nearing 2 and shortly thereafter. Easy to pick up and refresh your memory if your toddler seems to be going through a challenging time. Helped me understand some of the main personality types in kids and how to parent in a way that respects their personality, along with taking into account my own.
Cheryl
Sep 23, 2007 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
A breakdown of the stages in early toddlerhood. Author provded many many descriptions of circumstances, behavior changes, clashes of personality, personality types, etc. Also provded inspirational ideas for creating an emotional environment for toddlers.
Sera Goldsmith
Quite possibly the best book I've read on kids/parenting. Backed up with lots of research, etc. Gave me lots of insight into Kaylee and what's going on in that little mind of hers. Very, very good book.
Katie
an enlightening read on the inner workings of the toddler's brain. It is not really a how- to book on parenting, but it helps to empathize with what your kid is going through.
Kevin
The book has both a realistic (and quite forgiving) perspective on early child development and rearing as well as many nice vignettes which bring the ideas more to life.
Susan Lauher
Because my daughter's emotional life was starting to affect mine. Read it quickly and it helped bring things into perspective. That and a glass (or two)of wine.
Camille
I have been coming back to this book again and again. It has been helpful about 50% of the time. I will be keeping this handy for the next little one.
Rachel
Loved the personal accounts of parents and real life examples. Made me look at some of the ways I can balance the power of wills between myself and toddler.
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Your Three-Year-Old: Friend or Enemy
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
  • Playful Parenting
  • The Parents We Mean To Be: How Well-Intentioned Adults Undermine Children's Moral and Emotional Development
  • A Child's Work: The Importance of Fantasy Play
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind
  • The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
  • The Big Rumpus: A Mother's Tale from the Trenches
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • Too Much of a Good Thing: Raising Children of Character in an Indulgent Age
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
Don't Hit My Mommy!: A Manual for Child-Parent Psychotherapy with Young Witnesses of Family Violence Psychotherapy with Infants and Young Children: Repairing the Effects of Stress and Trauma on Early Attachment Losing a Parent to Death in the Early Years: Guidelines for the Treatment of Traumatic Bereavement in Infancy and Early Childhood La Vida Afectiva de Su Hijo (entre uno y tres años) La Mort D'Un Parent Dans La Petite Enfance: Guide Du Traitement Du Deuil Traumatique Du Bebe Et Du Tres Jeune Enfant