Start by marking “Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography” as Want to Read:
Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography

Payne Stewart: The Authorized Biography

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When his life came to a sudden and tragic end on October 25, 1999, Payne Stewart was at the top of his game on every level. In June of 1999, he enjoyed the signature triumph of his career and solidified himself as one of the exemplary personalities in his profession with a victory at the U.S. Open and a place on the coveted winning U.S. Ryder Cup team. However satisfying h ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by B&H Publishing Group (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Payne Stewart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payne Stewart

Alec Velasco
This book was a biography of Payne Stewart. Payne Stewart is one of the best and most famous gilders who ever played the game. He was especially known for his golf apparel. He would wear a "tam'O shatter hat," with checkered knickers, and a sweater. Although he was famous for his dress, he was more famous for his golf game and good character. Payne won three major championships in his shortened golf career. They were the U.S Open twice and the PGA Championship. His most memorable win was the 199 ...more
Todd Miles
This was hardly a page-turner, but was interesting for golf fans and those who enjoyed watching Payne Stewart play (like me - the 1999 US Open was the most gripping gold tourney I have ever watched). The writing was not sensational, but it was readable. The strength of the book was the record of the day-to-day activities of PGA golfers and the kind of life they lead. More information on his childhood would have been interesting (how much did he play and practice as a youngster?) - though this is ...more
Susan
Good read, I am not a golfer, I do enjoy watching a golf game every now and then, so to read a book about a golfer was going to be a new experience. When I was younger I remember vaguely seeing Payne Stewart on occasion. He was a few years younger than me, but I do remember the fateful day of his passing. The book is a very good read and one that I would recommend reading for anyone who likes to read Biographies and Autobiographies.
Jay
Its good.
Dj Wells
A wonderful biography of a man who tragically lost his life in an unbelievable accident. Born in Missouri and a lover of the game of golf from childhood, Payne grew up to realize his goal of competing as a PGA Professional and winning the PGA Championship and US Open in his career. A dedicated Christian husband and father, the story brings a tear to the eye.
Victoria Slotto
Enjoyable read, especially for those who are into golf. My guess would be that others would be bored with some of the details of Payne's important tournaments. Good character development with a balance between strengths and weaknesses, giving a rounded portrait of this PGA pro. Tracey Stewart's ghost writer acquited her story well.
Tim
Very good account of his life and faith journey. I appreciate his witness to this day.
Rhonda
I read this because my uncle was Payne's good friend and there are pics of them in this book. However....his story was inspiring when I was not expecting it to be. Good read.
Tyler
My all-time favorite golfer, and one of my favorite sports figures ever. I Use to wear knickers, argyle socks, and the funny golf hat just to be like him.
Rendier
Not earth shattering, but still an interesting look at the life of a PGA tour golfer.
Travis Blayton
The unbelievable life of the late and great Payne Stewart.
Bill
Very impact full story about a great man
Bonnie
Jun 30, 2009 Bonnie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
About a golfer with ADHD
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
James Tripp
James Tripp marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
JJ Cooney
JJ Cooney marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
  • Comeback
  • The Mysterious Montague: A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery
  • The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf
  • The Swinger: A Novel
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
  • Always By My Side: A Father's Grace and a Sports Journey Unlike Any Other
  • Golf My Way
  • Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible: Master the Finesse Swing and Lower Your Score
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • The Inner Game of Golf
  • Paul Newman: A Life
  • Lance: The Making of the World�s Greatest Champion
  • The Faith Of George W. Bush
Do Unto Animals: A Friendly Guide to How Animals Live, and How We Can Make Their Lives Better Payne at Pinehurst: The Greatest U.S. Open Ever