Start by marking “Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1)

Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,894 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Sunnydale is being besieged by dark forces. But even with Buffy providing her unique style of damage control, it's more than one Slayer can handle - especially since the abominations are coming from a centuries-old portal through time and space.
Mass Market Paperback, 367 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Madhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Madhouse

Amanda
Dec 21, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, tie-in
DUDE, I had completely forgotten these books existed. This trilogy was AWESOME. I read it about a billion times. Oh man. Somewhere in my mom's house are sad, tattered, dog-eared copies of all these. I have to hunt them down.
Oct 18, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
3/5 - I enjoyed this book but sometimes felt the thoughts they had Xander thinking were a little bit off – not what/how I would imagine Xander thinking from the way he talks on the show. I thought they had Oz completely right and Willow and Buffy were pretty much right, just a few times where I went “Hey, she doesn’t think like that.” I liked the story and different locations all over the world. I like that they had everyone involved, even Joyce and that some different characters featured in the ...more
Brittany
Nov 16, 2008 Brittany rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
How I Came To Read These Books: being a Buffy fan, it was only natural I turned to read some of the books. I think I also read one that was based on the series’ premiere, but I preferred the original stories. Call it published fan fic.

The Plot: I can’t separate these three books particularly well this late in the game, so let’s summarize. There’s a whole lot of wacky going on in Sunnydale, more than usual. Rather than one big bad, it seems a rain (of toads, quite literally) of chaos is coming do
Kimberly Hirsh
Apr 15, 2007 Kimberly Hirsh rated it really liked it
...yesterday my life's like, "Uh oh, pop quiz." Today it's "rain of toads."

Thus spoke Xander Harris in part two of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's pilot episode, "The Harvest."  Even in its later seasons, Buffy didn't have the special effects budget to create an on-screen rain of toads.  The advantage to books is you aren't limited by those sorts of budget constraints.  In Out of the Madhouse, Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder bring the rain of toads, along with all the trolls, sea monsters, skyqua
Ryan G
Jul 02, 2011 Ryan G rated it liked it
You guys know that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite show of all time, so it should come as no surprise that I loved the tie in books that were being published while the show was on the air. I stayed away from the novelization of actual episodes, and loved the books that were original story lines. I used to own at least twenty of the, but a few moves ago, I had to make a decision to let them go. I owned too many books, of course I still do, so I'm not sure what I was thinking. Over the yea ...more
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
3 stars.

This was a disappointment.

When I first read this book as a teen, I remember loving it. I even read it twice as a teenager. However when I picked it up for a reread it felt like a chore to get through.

In the beginning I was irritated/annoyed at Xander. He's upset at Buffy after she pushed him away from a dangerous situation. The only time I remember Xander getting upset for Buffy protecting him was against a mortal foe, like with Larry in the episode Halloween, which wasn't the case he
LemmiSchmoeker
Jun 14, 2016 LemmiSchmoeker rated it liked it
After a disappointing beginning it quickly gets better: the authors do know something about Europe and they can empathise with the characters (though this very often feels like they are using a checklist of typical phrases). As always with franchises like this, it's not allowed to have something important happen to the main characters, so the interactions remain rather shallow and the plot inches forward at an uneven pace.

However, once the limitations have become clear (and they really should ha
Slayermel
I really enjoyed this book. I love how Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder write the books to tie in with the show, but the books are able to stand on their own as well.
This is the second time I'm reading this series, because I love the story. All your classic Buffy characters are in it, and the story moves at a fast pace and is very exciting.
Without giving to much away, I loved the whole story around the Gatehouse and all the intricate spells the gatekeeper has woven to keep all the monsters
Raxenda
Sep 17, 2009 Raxenda rated it it was ok
I didn't really understand it. ._. I think it's definitely mandatory that you've watched the TV series first (I didn't), or else you'll be fairly lost. The first chapter was great, but after that hardly anything of the Buffy-world was explained, and that was frustrating. My new goal is to watch the show.
Phil Syphe
Oct 03, 2013 Phil Syphe rated it liked it
Believe I read the whole Gatekeeper trilogy during the latter part of 2002, as it was then that I bought them as a boxed set.

Although I remember little about the storyline 13 years on, I do recall that the author did a good job in bringing the TV characters to life on page. I admired his original plot ideas, yet I was engaged by the story, rather than enthralled.
Jim C
Jun 21, 2013 Jim C rated it liked it
A book based on the tv series. This book had a good storyline and I enjoyed it. It moved at a nice pace and I thought the authors captured most of the characters correctly. Xander felt a little off. This novel is one of the better novels based on the tv show. The only downfall to this book is that it is the first book of a trilogy. That being said, I am looking forward to reading the second book.
Natalie S.
Mar 13, 2012 Natalie S. rated it it was ok
I read this book and the two others in the trilogy when I was watching Buffy for the first time in middle school. Truthfully, I don't remember a whole lot about the plot or writing, but I do know they kept me engaged enough to read the other two books.

Since I remember enjoying them as a kid, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and a 3/5.
Melissa Wilson
Mar 09, 2008 Melissa Wilson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
If you like the show you will like these books. I was able to read this one rather fast, it was hard to put down. At first I was afraid they would be kind of lame, but I was suprised how good this book really was and am now reading the whole series.
Randy Holmberg
Jul 30, 2011 Randy Holmberg rated it really liked it
Started off a little slow but turned out to be really good!!! I cant wait to keep reading the rest of the trilogy. Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder are both amazing buffy writers so there work collaborated together has to be AMAZING!
Louise
Jun 11, 2015 Louise rated it liked it
I absolutely recommend this for Buffy fans. The story jumps about a bit too much for a novel- it feels more like a screenplay, which maybe the authors were going for. I felt the ending was very strong and fun!
Tammy
Sep 15, 2009 Tammy rated it liked it
The story was interesting, but it was slow to start and the end was cheesy. Overall, the book was okay. Yet, it was the best of the Buffy books I've read thus far. I'm moderately curious to read the other two in the series to see how the over-arching plot develops/ends.
Joanna
Jul 26, 2012 Joanna rated it liked it
3.5
Jennifer Kronk
Jul 24, 2008 Jennifer Kronk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Suzanne, Chris
This is a fun book for fans of monsters and strange mythology. I am lookin forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Sheena Wells
Jun 07, 2011 Sheena Wells rated it it was amazing
I loved the whole trilogy it took characters I love and put them some were they have never been
Chocolate
buffy has to stop a spell cast on a haunted house this one sucks though.
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was ok
May 04, 2012
Kawther
Kawther rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Deborah Allen
Deborah Allen rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2017
Bonnie Seidel
Bonnie Seidel rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Jahleeiah .k.
Jahleeiah .k. rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Brittany Prentice
Brittany Prentice rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Sarah B
Sarah B rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2009
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2009
Toto
Toto rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
J
J rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
  • Door to Alternity (Unseen Trilogy, #2)
  • Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17)
  • The Book of Fours (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #23)
  • Obsidian Fate (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #20)
  • Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13)
  • Unnatural Selection (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #19)
  • Visitors (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #18)
  • Wicked Willow I: The Darkening (Wicked Willow, #1)
  • Ghoul Trouble (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #4)
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 1 (The Xander Years, #1)
  • Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3)
  • Here Be Monsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #22)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...

The Gatekeeper Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ghost Roads (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #2)
  • Sons of Entropy (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #3)