Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1)

Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,522 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Sunnydale is being besieged by dark forces. But even with Buffy providing her unique style of damage control, it's more than one Slayer can handle - especially since the abominations are coming from a centuries-old portal through time and space.
Published January 1st 1999 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Madhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Madhouse

Raxenda
I didn't really understand it. ._. I think it's definitely mandatory that you've watched the TV series first (I didn't), or else you'll be fairly lost. The first chapter was great, but after that hardly anything of the Buffy-world was explained, and that was frustrating. My new goal is to watch the show.
Amanda
DUDE, I had completely forgotten these books existed. This trilogy was AWESOME. I read it about a billion times. Oh man. Somewhere in my mom's house are sad, tattered, dog-eared copies of all these. I have to hunt them down.
Chocolate
buffy has to stop a spell cast on a haunted house this one sucks though.
Brittany
How I Came To Read These Books: being a Buffy fan, it was only natural I turned to read some of the books. I think I also read one that was based on the series’ premiere, but I preferred the original stories. Call it published fan fic.

The Plot: I can’t separate these three books particularly well this late in the game, so let’s summarize. There’s a whole lot of wacky going on in Sunnydale, more than usual. Rather than one big bad, it seems a rain (of toads, quite literally) of chaos is coming do...more
Kimberly Hirsh
...yesterday my life's like, "Uh oh, pop quiz." Today it's "rain of toads."

Thus spoke Xander Harris in part two of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's pilot episode, "The Harvest." Even in its later seasons, Buffy didn't have the special effects budget to create an on-screen rain of toads. The advantage to books is you aren't limited by those sorts of budget constraints. In Out of the Madhouse, Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder bring the rain of toads, along with all the trolls, sea monsters, skyquakes...more
Desiree
3 stars.

This was a disappointment.

When I first read this book as a teen, I remember loving it. I even read it twice as a teenager. However when I picked it up for a reread it felt like a chore to get through.

In the beginning I was irritated/annoyed at Xander. He's upset at Buffy after she pushed him away from a dangerous situation. The only time I remember Xander getting upset for Buffy protecting him was against a mortal foe, like with Larry in the episode Halloween, which wasn't the case he...more
3/5 - I enjoyed this book but sometimes felt the thoughts they had Xander thinking were a little bit off – not what/how I would imagine Xander thinking from the way he talks on the show. I thought they had Oz completely right and Willow and Buffy were pretty much right, just a few times where I went “Hey, she doesn’t think like that.” I liked the story and different locations all over the world. I like that they had everyone involved, even Joyce and that some different characters featured in the...more
Slayermel
I really enjoyed this book. I love how Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder write the books to tie in with the show, but the books are able to stand on their own as well.
This is the second time I'm reading this series, because I love the story. All your classic Buffy characters are in it, and the story moves at a fast pace and is very exciting.
Without giving to much away, I loved the whole story around the Gatehouse and all the intricate spells the gatekeeper has woven to keep all the monsters...more
Jim C
A book based on the tv series. This book had a good storyline and I enjoyed it. It moved at a nice pace and I thought the authors captured most of the characters correctly. Xander felt a little off. This novel is one of the better novels based on the tv show. The only downfall to this book is that it is the first book of a trilogy. That being said, I am looking forward to reading the second book.
Natalie S.
I read this book and the two others in the trilogy when I was watching Buffy for the first time in middle school. Truthfully, I don't remember a whole lot about the plot or writing, but I do know they kept me engaged enough to read the other two books.

Since I remember enjoying them as a kid, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and a 3/5.
Tammy
The story was interesting, but it was slow to start and the end was cheesy. Overall, the book was okay. Yet, it was the best of the Buffy books I've read thus far. I'm moderately curious to read the other two in the series to see how the over-arching plot develops/ends.
Melissa Wilson
Mar 27, 2008 Melissa Wilson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
If you like the show you will like these books. I was able to read this one rather fast, it was hard to put down. At first I was afraid they would be kind of lame, but I was suprised how good this book really was and am now reading the whole series.
Randy Holmberg
Started off a little slow but turned out to be really good!!! I cant wait to keep reading the rest of the trilogy. Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder are both amazing buffy writers so there work collaborated together has to be AMAZING!
Jennifer Kronk
Aug 06, 2008 Jennifer Kronk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Suzanne, Chris
This is a fun book for fans of monsters and strange mythology. I am lookin forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Sheena Wells
I loved the whole trilogy it took characters I love and put them some were they have never been
Stacey Molina
i read this series like three times in one year when i was in jr high. i loved them!
Takiyah Dudley
Great trilogy loved these books...
Kenzi
Kenzi marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Sunshine Rainbows
Sunshine Rainbows marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Emily Moore
Emily Moore marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Matthew Farmer
Matthew Farmer marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • Door to Alternity (Unseen Trilogy, #2)
  • Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17)
  • Obsidian Fate (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #20)
  • Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13)
  • Visitors (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #18)
  • Ghoul Trouble (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #4)
  • Crossings (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #5)
  • Chaos Bleeds (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #7)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 2  (The Angel Chronicles, #2)
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 1 (The Xander Years, #1)
  • Tempted Champions (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #3)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film...more
More about Christopher Golden...
The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Hellboy: Odd Jobs Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Hellboy: Odder Jobs Of Saints and Shadows (Shadow Saga #1)