Start by marking “Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1)

Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,784 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Sunnydale is being besieged by dark forces. But even with Buffy providing her unique style of damage control, it's more than one Slayer can handle - especially since the abominations are coming from a centuries-old portal through time and space.
Published January 1st 1999 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Madhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Madhouse

Amanda
Dec 21, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, tie-in
DUDE, I had completely forgotten these books existed. This trilogy was AWESOME. I read it about a billion times. Oh man. Somewhere in my mom's house are sad, tattered, dog-eared copies of all these. I have to hunt them down.
Ryan G
Apr 19, 2015 Ryan G rated it liked it
You guys know that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite show of all time, so it should come as no surprise that I loved the tie in books that were being published while the show was on the air. I stayed away from the novelization of actual episodes, and loved the books that were original story lines. I used to own at least twenty of the, but a few moves ago, I had to make a decision to let them go. I owned too many books, of course I still do, so I'm not sure what I was thinking. Over the yea ...more
Brittany
Dec 30, 2009 Brittany rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
How I Came To Read These Books: being a Buffy fan, it was only natural I turned to read some of the books. I think I also read one that was based on the series’ premiere, but I preferred the original stories. Call it published fan fic.

The Plot: I can’t separate these three books particularly well this late in the game, so let’s summarize. There’s a whole lot of wacky going on in Sunnydale, more than usual. Rather than one big bad, it seems a rain (of toads, quite literally) of chaos is coming do
Kimberly Hirsh
Feb 04, 2009 Kimberly Hirsh rated it really liked it
...yesterday my life's like, "Uh oh, pop quiz." Today it's "rain of toads."

Thus spoke Xander Harris in part two of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's pilot episode, "The Harvest." Even in its later seasons, Buffy didn't have the special effects budget to create an on-screen rain of toads. The advantage to books is you aren't limited by those sorts of budget constraints. In Out of the Madhouse, Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder bring the rain of toads, along with all the trolls, sea monsters, skyquakes
Desiree the Reader
3 stars.

This was a disappointment.

When I first read this book as a teen, I remember loving it. I even read it twice as a teenager. However when I picked it up for a reread it felt like a chore to get through.

In the beginning I was irritated/annoyed at Xander. He's upset at Buffy after she pushed him away from a dangerous situation. The only time I remember Xander getting upset for Buffy protecting him was against a mortal foe, like with Larry in the episode Halloween, which wasn't the case he
May 18, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
3/5 - I enjoyed this book but sometimes felt the thoughts they had Xander thinking were a little bit off – not what/how I would imagine Xander thinking from the way he talks on the show. I thought they had Oz completely right and Willow and Buffy were pretty much right, just a few times where I went “Hey, she doesn’t think like that.” I liked the story and different locations all over the world. I like that they had everyone involved, even Joyce and that some different characters featured in the ...more
Slayermel
I really enjoyed this book. I love how Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder write the books to tie in with the show, but the books are able to stand on their own as well.
This is the second time I'm reading this series, because I love the story. All your classic Buffy characters are in it, and the story moves at a fast pace and is very exciting.
Without giving to much away, I loved the whole story around the Gatehouse and all the intricate spells the gatekeeper has woven to keep all the monsters
Jim C
Aug 26, 2013 Jim C rated it liked it
A book based on the tv series. This book had a good storyline and I enjoyed it. It moved at a nice pace and I thought the authors captured most of the characters correctly. Xander felt a little off. This novel is one of the better novels based on the tv show. The only downfall to this book is that it is the first book of a trilogy. That being said, I am looking forward to reading the second book.
Phil Syphe
Nov 26, 2015 Phil Syphe rated it liked it
Believe I read the whole Gatekeeper trilogy during the latter part of 2002, as it was then that I bought them as a boxed set.

Although I remember little about the storyline 13 years on, I do recall that the author did a good job in bringing the TV characters to life on page. I admired his original plot ideas, yet I was engaged by the story, rather than enthralled.
Natalie S.
Mar 13, 2012 Natalie S. rated it it was ok
I read this book and the two others in the trilogy when I was watching Buffy for the first time in middle school. Truthfully, I don't remember a whole lot about the plot or writing, but I do know they kept me engaged enough to read the other two books.

Since I remember enjoying them as a kid, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and a 3/5.
Raxenda
Sep 17, 2009 Raxenda rated it it was ok
I didn't really understand it. ._. I think it's definitely mandatory that you've watched the TV series first (I didn't), or else you'll be fairly lost. The first chapter was great, but after that hardly anything of the Buffy-world was explained, and that was frustrating. My new goal is to watch the show.
Tammy
Feb 15, 2010 Tammy rated it liked it
The story was interesting, but it was slow to start and the end was cheesy. Overall, the book was okay. Yet, it was the best of the Buffy books I've read thus far. I'm moderately curious to read the other two in the series to see how the over-arching plot develops/ends.
Melissa Wilson
Mar 27, 2008 Melissa Wilson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
If you like the show you will like these books. I was able to read this one rather fast, it was hard to put down. At first I was afraid they would be kind of lame, but I was suprised how good this book really was and am now reading the whole series.
Randy Holmberg
Started off a little slow but turned out to be really good!!! I cant wait to keep reading the rest of the trilogy. Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder are both amazing buffy writers so there work collaborated together has to be AMAZING!
Louise
Aug 13, 2015 Louise rated it liked it
I absolutely recommend this for Buffy fans. The story jumps about a bit too much for a novel- it feels more like a screenplay, which maybe the authors were going for. I felt the ending was very strong and fun!
Jennifer Kronk
Aug 06, 2008 Jennifer Kronk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Suzanne, Chris
This is a fun book for fans of monsters and strange mythology. I am lookin forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Sheena Wells
Jun 07, 2011 Sheena Wells rated it it was amazing
I loved the whole trilogy it took characters I love and put them some were they have never been
Stacey Molina
i read this series like three times in one year when i was in jr high. i loved them!
Chocolate
buffy has to stop a spell cast on a haunted house this one sucks though.
Takiyah Dudley
Aug 25, 2013 Takiyah Dudley rated it it was amazing
Great trilogy loved these books...
Joanna
AvidReader1987
AvidReader1987 marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Katy Stoddard
Katy Stoddard marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Marquez
Marquez rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
dusty
dusty added it
Feb 01, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Vionette
Vionette rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
  • Door to Alternity (Unseen Trilogy, #2)
  • Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17)
  • The Book of Fours (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #23)
  • Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13)
  • Obsidian Fate (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #20)
  • Unnatural Selection (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #19)
  • Deep Water (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #21)
  • Wicked Willow II: Shattered Twilight (Wicked Willow, #2)
  • Ghoul Trouble (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #4)
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 1 (The Xander Years, #1)
  • Here Be Monsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #22)
  • Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...

The Gatekeeper Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ghost Roads (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #2)
  • Sons of Entropy (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #3)