Start by marking “Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)

Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass #1)

Sterling Glass has built a nice appraisal business in her small Virginia town. She's sought after to examine antiques, research their history, present her clients with approximate values, and help them distinguish good antiques from not so good ones. And when family skeletons are unearthed among the heirlooms, she is the soul of discretion. It's a world she navigates with ...more
Published June 30th 2006 by Algonquin Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing with Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing with Style

Kelly
Aug 05, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This is the first cozy mystery I have had the pleasure of reading for a while. I really enjoyed it! The subject matter was unique and it is obvious from the detailed descriptions of the antiques shows the authors knowledge and makes it easy to picture the objects that are described (even to a complete novice). The characters are loveable (except those that aren't supposed to be) and complex (not flat). I think I have stumbled upon another author to follow for something light and fun. And ...more
Bill Glose
Aug 15, 2013 Bill Glose rated it really liked it
Modeled after Jenkins’ own life, the protagonist is a happy-go-lucky antique appraiser named Sterling Glass. Each chapter begins with the Q&A portion from her syndicated column, providing helpful information for antiquing neophytes. One example: “To accurately value an antique remember this tip: age + condition + quality + rarity = value. Truly valuable antiques must meet all four criteria. For example, a poor-quality, commonly found piece in bad condition will not be valuable, regardless of ...more
Kwoomac
Aug 31, 2011 Kwoomac rated it did not like it
I have rarely met a mystery I didn't enjoy, but this was definitely one. Yuck. I should've liked the book since it was about antiques, which I'm interested in. I just didn't like the protagonist, Sterling Glass, or her friends (except Sol, I did like him). Also, there were lots of descriptions of antiques and I had a hard time visualizing them. Then there was the protagonist's mother, who was dead. frequently,Sterling would quote some poet her mother was fond of. okay one meaningful quote, okay. ...more
Cathy
Aug 09, 2008 Cathy rated it it was amazing
This was a gentle and interesting mystery. The author managed to share a lot of information about antiques without being boring or interfering with the story. This is her only novel so far, but the story ended with the possibility of more with this character. Let's hope so!
Heather
Apr 30, 2008 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
simple and predictable plot, interesting information about antiques, i actually did learn something reading this book. I didn't really engage with the main character.
Polly
Nov 20, 2016 Polly rated it really liked it
Charming
Debbie
Nov 14, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Stealing with Style is a "who-stole-it" mystery. It's not really a "puzzle it out before the heroine" mystery since the heroine has more knowledge about antiques (which is why she's involved) than the reader probably does. It's only because of her knowledge that anyone realizes what's wrong. But the mystery was fascinating, convincing, and complex. And I learned a lot about antiques.

The characters were enjoyable and fairly complex. The details about the antiques business were nicely woven into t
Gail
Mar 29, 2010 Gail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
This literate, well-written mystery rises above the mysteries-with-gimmick genre with its complex characters and intricate and believable plot. Sterling Glass is a fifty something antiques appraiser living in Virgina. Her knowlege of eighteenth century antiques and her ability to kindly explain why things are or are not valuable make her an amiable and interesting narrator. She writes a column for a local paper.

She's called to evaluate a silver coffee pot of a recently deceased widow living mod
Michelle L
May 03, 2013 Michelle L rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Although a light and easy read with a moderate amount of enjoyment and information, it needed not only a bit more energy, but - even for a mind-takes-the-bus book, which is a style with much to recommend it - it had a resounding lack of reality.

Less than half way through I began to realize that the only people I was encountering were invariably good, rich white folk. The only 'ethnic' characters in Sterling's 21st Century USA were a poor (but noble) elderly Jewish man and the equally poor son o
Judy
Jul 16, 2010 Judy rated it liked it
I read this book for several reasons. I've heard the author speak about antiques and she was fascinating and this book can be used to fulfill another state (Virginia) in the cozy mystery challenge in which I am now involved. Sterling Glass is an antiques appraiser in a small town in Virginia and she gets involved in uncovering a plot to steal valuable antiques from old and confused people--and I'm getting more like that every day. A really interesting read and I learning a lot about antiques and ...more
Cynthia
Jan 29, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was ok
I have to say that I was not terribly impressed with this audiobook. The premise was promising: an antiques appraiser inadvertently drawn into not one but two mysteries involving valuable silver pieces, jewelry, figurines, etc. Unfortunately, it meandered all over the place and by the time the "mystery" was solved, I couldn't possibly have cared any less. I found the most interesting part of the book to be the little "Dear Antiques Expert" questions at the beginning of each chapter. The narrator ...more
Mary
Oct 04, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
The first in the series, and as delightful as the second (which I read first). The author has obviously read many mysteries (the protagonist makes side references to some during the story). I still like the factual information about antiques incorporated into the story. The best part? After completing this one, I realized that everyone stays fully clothed throughout! So though Sterling Glass (the appraiser in the story) has romantic inclinations toward 2 characters (one of them an ex-minister), ...more
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2016 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donated
This was a different book than what I usually read which made it refreshing. I don't know if I have ever read a book centered around antiques. I liked how each chapter started with a letter to the antique expert with the expert's answer. Not only did I learn a little about antiques but the topics were always woven into that chapter in some way so that when the reference was made, I understood the relevance of the information. Very nice. The main character is likeable and there is a lot of ...more
Debbie
May 10, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
Another first in the series, this time featuring antiques appraiser Sterling Glass. Although the information about the various antiques is very interesting, Sterling herself borders on being one of those perfect heroines – and as this first book closes, she nabs a job that will have her jet-setting and living on expense accounts (which would make it all just a little fahncy for me).

Read this if: you’re looking for a mystery without a murder (sort of refreshing, don’t you think?); or you love The
Stephanie
Feb 24, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
This is the first in a light-reading mystery series set in the antiques world. It's an original setting and the writing was pretty engaging. While I enjoyed the story, the effort involved in weaving together the two storylines was a bit forced and obvious, and I could have done with far fewer internal "conversations" between Sterling and her deceased mother. But I liked it enough that I'll definitely look for the next book in the series.
Chantel
Narrated by Linda Stephens. 9 sound discs (10 hr., 30 min.) In her debut adventure, Sterling Glass, an intrepid antiques appraiser and amateur sleuth, must foil a plot set up by a shady construction company looking to bilk the elderly out of their prized possessions. Following a trail of clues from her small Virginia town to New York City, Sterling and her #1 guy Peter try to bring these crooks to justice.
Karen
Jun 26, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Well, it was okay. That's about the best I can say about it. It was an interesting idea, and the antiques angle was kind of interesting, but so much seemed to happen 'offstage' and the main character would just find out about things from someone else that it made the whole book seem to move in fits and starts. I may read the next book, but I'll get it from the library.
Kirsty
Feb 22, 2013 Kirsty rated it it was ok
Not too bad of a book, but I just couldn't get into it. It was a hard slog to read. By page 200 and something of 755 (on the iphone) I was sure I must be about 3/4 of the way through. But alas, I still had about 2/3 left.

I didn't sympathise with Sterling Glass, the book was more of an antiques lesson that a true whodunnit, and the 'big reveal' was rather a let down.

Sharla
Apr 01, 2012 Sharla rated it it was ok
I liked Sterling's penchant for playing with her magic eight ball from childhood. Wish I still had mine. Her continuing conversations with her dead mother, who had some pretty good saying, were interesting. Some of the antique info was informative. Other than that, the book was a snooze. The whole thing was one big anti-climax.
Judy
Dec 22, 2010 Judy rated it liked it
Thought I would try this - quite alot of information regarding antiques - interesting. Middle aged woman on her own is antique appraiser. Gets caught up in helping to solve a mystery. A believable character except she does get into some things that make you wonder what the heck she's thinking - going out on her own into dangerous areas.
Sheila
Jan 10, 2011 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't relate to the characters in this book. It involved the world of an antique appraiser to is surrounded by the snooty "upper crust" with their Chippendale dressers and Louis XV chairs. I have lots of old things but in my house it is old junk not antiques. I struggled to get through this one and think I am being generous to give it two stars.
Heidi
Jul 11, 2015 Heidi rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Oh dear. I didn't like this book at all. I thought the writing was rather juvenile and simplistic. The lead character reminded me of a wannabe Nancy Drew, but without Nancy's resourcefulness, wit and sophistication. The only interesting parts were the antique tidbits, but they weren't enough to save this. I won't be reading any more of this series.
Iris Smale
Aug 30, 2014 Iris Smale rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
4 stars is a really good rating from me. And I did enjoy this book. Yes - I did read the last chapter way before the end but I do that frequently. I do tend to get annoyed w/main characters when they exhibit dumb behavior but that seems pretty prevalent in today's. books.
Tiff Siff
Aug 23, 2008 Tiff Siff rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this. A carefree read. A little simple mystery mixed with the past. Antique lovers and experts would probably love it even more b/c it definitely includes lots of "expert" details...
Sandra H.
Jul 21, 2008 Sandra H. rated it it was ok
It's an interesting idea, and I enjoyed the sidenotes about antiques. If that's a topic that interests you, you will find it an informative read. However, for a mystery read, I didn't find that it had a lot of suspense, and I'm afraid I didn't make it to the end.
Ginger
Nov 15, 2015 Ginger rated it did not like it
I thought it was alright and the antique descriptions were interesting and thorough. But then I realized I read it about halfway thru, sat it down one night, and forgot to pick it back up again.
it's now been maybe a month and I don't really care if I ever finish it, I'm just not interested.
Carol
Sep 21, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
The premise of this story is great and I sort of like the main character, but she needs to be a little more forceful. Antiques fascinate me and I admire those who know about them. I like Sterling's mom always giving her advance in her head.
Doree Burt
Oct 04, 2010 Doree Burt rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first part of the story, but then it just got kind of boring, tedious, and predictable. Still, it was enjoyable enough. She did natter on a bit too much about the intricacies of art deco figurines, but I liked the other antique info woven into the story.
Allison
Mar 05, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A mystery having to do with the world of antiques. I enjoyed the protagonist and the quotes from the mother were a good touch.
Susan
Sep 09, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok
Meh. There was something about the protagonist, Sterling Glass, that just did not connect with me.
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Killer Keepsakes (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Bad Bird
  • Christietown (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #4)
Emyl Jenkins is a longtime antiques appraiser. She has worked at two auction houses and has written numerous books and articles on antiques, as well as a syndicated column. She is the author of Emyl Jenkins’ Appraisal Book, Emyl Jenkins’ Southern Christmas, The Book of American Traditions, and From Storebought to Homemade, among others. She lives in Richmond, Virginia.
More about Emyl Jenkins...

Sterling Glass (2 books)
  • The Big Steal (Sterling Glass, #2)