Start by marking “The Samurai's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Samurai's Daughter

The Samurai's Daughter (Rei Shimura #6)

Antiques dealer Rei Shimura is in San Francisco visiting her parents and researching a personal project to trace the story of 100 years of Japanese decorative arts through her own family's history. But Rei's work is interrupted by the arrival of her long-distance boyfriend, lawyer Hugh Glendinning, who is involved in a class action lawsuit on behalf of people forced to eng ...more
Published March 4th 2003 by Harper (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Samurai's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samurai's Daughter

Shomeret
May 25, 2009 Shomeret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some might consider Rei Shimura foolish in this book, but I thought her courageous and unselfish. This is the third book I have read in this series, and I am impressed by her behavior for the first time. I also liked the way this book dealt with various issues in Japanese history.
I am definitely going to want to read more Rei Shimura books.
Kevin Simons
Jul 31, 2014 Kevin Simons rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a good book. In fact, it is a lousy book. Somewhere hidden among the lazy lapses of fact, tin-eared dialogue, and ludicrous developments in the plot there may have once lain a decent story idea about unhinged Japanese nationalists up to no good in Northern California. No, really, there may have been a chance to write a decent story out of this. But this book is pitiful.

Our heroine, familiar to Sujata Massey’s unfortunate readers, is the half-Japanese, half-American Rei Shimura. She’s
Margie Swanson
Apr 18, 2016 Margie Swanson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 6th in a series by Sujata Massey featuring an American-Japanese woman who is an antique dealer who finds herself in several mysteries. Her Scottish fiance is lawyer working on a suit to give retribution to "comfort women" who were kidnapped by the Japanese army during WWII. The new and old beliefs in Japan come into conflict. Even though this was the 6th is a series I felt curious about what came before but it didn't detract from enjoying this story.
brianna
A big ol' meh for this one. I did enjoy how, being "regular people" playing detective there were consequences for their believable fuckups. the writing was OK, but overall definitely not my favorite. the title still doesn't really make sense to me. And the inevitable "twist" was pretty much stupid as hell.
Sharon
May 14, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells an interesting story about Japanese history, antiques, and what happens to a young Japanese American woman antiques dealer and her Scottish fiance lawyer when their business interests intersect and both past and present wrongdoing and corruption are revealed.
Helena
Feb 03, 2017 Helena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This mystery series by Sujata Massey is fast paced, informative and interesting enough that one anticipates sitting down to read another chapter or two. Perfect for a daily commuter's ride or waiting for appointments as well as pleasurable, relaxed reading.

I've traveled to Japan a few times for several week's stay each time but didn't know much about contemporary culture, and wish this series had been around back then. The main character, Rei Shimura, is believable, intelligent and interesting.
Paula Silvonen
Viihdyin taas hyvin Rei Shimuran kanssa. Eivät nämä mitään suurta kirjallisuutta ole, ja tämä osa oli minusta sarjan huonommasta päästä, mutta jotenkin hyvälle tuulelle tästä tuli. Dekkarijuoni oli ennalta arvattava ja samalla epäuskottava, mikä on saavutus sinänsä. Japani-kuvaus oli mielenkiintoista kuten aina. Kiva välipalakirja.
Oct 08, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, easy read. Very Japanese, made me miss it so much!
Chris Madsen
This book came to me by way of a Little Free Library in my neighborhood. We apparently have 11 of these, on the front lawns of people's homes, with free books to read and exchange. I've only visited three of them, but have already stumbled across new works I'd never have discovered in my library.

This one intrigued me because I'd never heard of it, yet the author is an award-winning writer. My sister enjoyed Japan when she visited, so I thought I'd take a chance on something totally unknown to me
Heather
This mystery is one of a series which features a Japanese-American antiques dealer, Rei Shimura. I loved the concept, but the execution was a little rough. Rei took too many risks and found clues a little too easily.

The story starts in San Francisco where she is staying with her family and researching their own history. It follows her back to her beloved Japan where she continues her pursuit along with "assisting" her lawyer-boyfriend. He is looking for evidence in a class-action suit against bi
catechism
As the series goes on, the books definitely get better. No big surprise. I didn't like this one quite as much as the previous one, but it was still a pretty decent mystery. I pegged the murderer really early on, I think because I am just getting used to the author's style (i.e., the slimy rude guy who goes out of his way to embarrass himself and the protagonist and who always seems really suspicious didn't do it. Ever. This guy is in every book, except he always has a different name.). There wer ...more
Dec 22, 2009 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I've found a new series of mysteries to follow, just as I finish a couple of long-time favorites. I enjoyed all the information about Japanese culture Massey managed to incorporate in her story (Japanese apartments have individual outdoor entrances, even on upper floors?). And just as I thought the mystery was heading toward a predictable and disappointing ending, it took a surprising turn. Now I have to go back and read the early entries in the series, forgetting what I know from this o ...more
Ashley
Feb 14, 2009 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This book was okay. I enjoyed the cultural aspects of it, but the writing is kind of juvenile and the story itself stretches a little too much in some places to be realistic. I feel like the author can't come up with good enough explanations of what would have really happened, so she has to manipulate the reader into believing what she wants to have happen.
Tiina
Feb 17, 2013 Tiina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a nice surprise to find a Rei Shimura novel that I had not read before!

In this novel, people do not walk all over Rei Shimura as much as usual, so this was a nice read.

The mystery was solved at the end, but all the same, there were things left open so it was clear that there would be a next novel. I would prefer books to just wrap up everything, even when there is to be a sequel!
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback

It's really pleasing to see this series moving on to a new level as Massey isn't afraid to make some major changes in her characters lives. I'm very much looking forward to finding out what happens next and I also think that the writing and the plots have both stepped up a gear in the last couple of books in the series.

Bernye
Jan 27, 2013 Bernye rated it really liked it
Rei's adventures are always fun to read about. Her descriptions of her experiences and her travels throughout Japan bring back fond memories, and I feel as though I am walking the streets and riding the subways with her.
Booksaurus
Jul 19, 2011 Booksaurus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A nice mystery story, with detailed, interesting description of Japanese customs and culture. The character is interesting, the chemistry with her boyfriend is also right. The book dragged a bit somewhere in the middle, but apart from that it was an absorbing read.
Faith
Easy read but not a compelling mystery and lacking in character development. I tried this because I really enjoyed The Sleeping Dictionary by Massey. Will probably not look for other books in the Rei Shimura series.
Etta Mcquade
I liked the author's writing, her mystery and the suspense, and her knowledge of Japan's customs, rites, rituals, food, clothes, art, history, culture, and people. I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. and would give it 3 and a half points.
Carol
Apr 01, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sixth in this mystery series. Rei and Hugh visit her parents in San Francisco, get engaged, and find themselves investigating wrongs from the past dealing with the exploitation of comfort women during WWII.
Moushumi Ghosh
Apr 02, 2012 Moushumi Ghosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Rei Shimura mysteries I have read. Can't wait to read more. If you like Japan, a mystery, a female protagonist, and an outsider's view, or any combination of these, this is a book for you!
Oct 21, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Bernye Ayer
Shelves: murder-mystery
I loved this installation of this series. Rei Shimura gets deported from her beloved Japan but still manages to solve a murder and a break-in and she is still engaged to Hugh and planning her wedding. Here's hoping she actually mamkes it to the altar.
Lynne
Mar 09, 2012 Lynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a slow read. For a mystery, it really barely got off the ground. The twist near the end is effective, and things are all resolved, but the book needed more life. I really liked learning about Japan and felt the book worth the read partly for that exposure.
Charles Moore
Mar 08, 2015 Charles Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tie did it again

As usual a great read of a Massey book. I will wait awhile, but will visit again to see what trouble she gets into next.
Antoinette
Jun 26, 2008 Antoinette rated it really liked it
Shelves: silly-series
This was my least favorite in the series, because Rei was at her most frustrating.
Nancy Young
I didn't realize this was part of a series when I first started reading. It was enjoyable and I loved the references to Japan, Tokyo etc.
Bachyboy
Mystery/Japanese arts and crafts/class action law suit on behalf of the comfort woman in WW2. Good mix of cultures and it romped along.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Mar 21, 2010 Cindi (cheesygiraffe) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
Very interesting what Rei learns about her great grandfather. Also all the things that happen were perpetrated by different people. And in the end sort of sad what happens to Rei.
Ms. G
Mar 22, 2015 Ms. G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
able to read under the influence of post-surgical narcotics--says something about the author, no?
Feb 28, 2008 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light mystery bassed in Japan which shows some of the culture.
  • The Jasmine Trade (Eve Diamond Mystery, #1)
  • Tracking Time (April Woo, #6)
  • The Fourth Sacrifice (China Thrillers, #2)
  • Death's Door  (Special X, #9)
  • The Samurai's Wife (Sano Ichiro, #5)
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • The Messengers of Death
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • Cold Justice (Kali O'Brien, #5)
  • Murder in Clichy (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #5)
  • A Death in the Family (Detective Kubu #5)
  • The Bird Yard
  • Flash House
  • The Cutout
  • Mesmerized
Sujata Massey is the author of historical and mystery fiction. She's well-known for the Rei Shimura mystery series, ten books which have won the Agatha and Macavity awards and been nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, and Mary Higgins Clark awards. The eleventh book in the series, THE KIZUNA COAST, will be published in November 2014.

Sujata also writes historical novels set in 19th and 20th century I
More about Sujata Massey...

Rei Shimura (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Salaryman's Wife (Rei Shimura #1)
  • Zen Attitude (Rei Shimura, #2)
  • The Flower Master
  • The Floating Girl
  • The Bride's Kimono
  • The Pearl Diver
  • The Typhoon Lover (Rei Shimura Mysteries (Paperback))
  • Girl in a Box
  • Shimura Trouble
  • The Kizuna Coast (Rei Shimura Mystery, #11)

“Crockery broke and fabric frayed. The delicate things I cared about perished, while the hard things like swords survived.” 8 likes