Zen Attitude

Zen Attitude (Rei Shimura #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  747 ratings  ·  38 reviews
It's Tough to Keep Cool When the Heat Is On

Japanese-American Rei Shimura finally has a life to be proud of in Tokyo: running her own antiques business and living with her Scottish lawyer boyfreind. But when Rei overpays for a beautiful chest of drawers, she's in for the worst deal of her life. The con man who sold her the Tansu is found dead, and like it or not Rei's opene...more
Published November 29th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published 1998)

Cami
A really fun read with interesting information on japanese antique furniture and scrolls as well as Zen temple worship.
Rei gets herself into some real danger and doesn't know who to trust and her relationship with Hugh is hanging by a thread.
Kirsty Darbyshire
Massey is well on her way to making a mark on my favourite author list. This second mystery sees our heroine Rei struggling to keep her new Japanese antique buying business going after she discovers that a chest she has spent oodles of cash on for a client is a fake. The plot is very competent with twists that have you saying "I should have see that" without making you feel cheated.

I got a better sense of Japan from this book than from the first, I don't know whether that's because settings lik

Tocotin
This is the best book in the series so far. Rei isn't as selfish as usual, she is capable of friendship (her relationship with old Mr Ikeda is quite touching if a bit unbelievable), and I liked the side story of the Iranian guy, refreshingly unstereotypical in this series which is practically built on stereotypes. Plus, I enjoyed the details on Japanese antiques. Rei's boyfriend Hugh was too attentive and too intense to be realistic - but even he had some saving grace, namely his generosity towa...more
Anne
This is the second in the Rei Shimura series...at this point, Rei has semi-established herself as a high-end antiques dealer in Toyko. When she is sent to find a tansu (cabinet) for a wealthy client, she finds herself swindled by a fake. The salesperson mysteriously dies, and Rei is once again simultaneously investigating a murder, and attempting to avoid her own demise. Her relationship with the Scotsman, hits a rocky patch and I'm hoping that it will be over and done with by the next installme...more
Judith
Rei Shimura, now working as an antiques dealer, is currently living in Japan with her boyfriend Hugh Glendenning. Chaos enters when his wild younger brother comes to stay. Add to that several killings, kidnappings, and priceless antiquities -- all in some way related to a bridal tansu Rei has just sold. Shimura's books give insight into life and customs in Japan. An added bonus this time is that much of the action and plot involve a Buddhist temple.
Noora
Hyvä dekkari, jonka luin yhteen putkeen pitämättä juurikaan taukoja. Juoni oli aika kekseliäs ja yllättävä ja piti otteessaan ihan loppuun asti. Tosin Hughin veljen sekoittamisen mukaan olisi voinut jättää poiskin. Se, mistä pidin ensimmäisessäkin Shimura-kirjassa, japanilaisen kulttuurin yhdistämisestä dekkarimaailmaan, on tallella. Hyvä kirja ja Rei on miellyttävä tuttavuus henkilöhahmona.
Megan
The second installment of the Rei Shimura series was another enjoyable page turner. Rei is starting out in the antique business & living with Hugh. The purchase of a tansu chest sets off a string of events that leads Rei to a Zen monastery and in danger. The story moves along nicely and keeps you reading to find out if Rei will be able to get out of the latest predicament she finds herself in.
Mary

This series is really excellent and would be best read in order. i unfortunately read the books out of order due to library availability. I still loved the books and am very sad that there will be no more books in this series. Rei Shimura is the Japanese equivalent of Stephanie Plum for those who enjoy that series by Janet Evanovich.
Bernye
This series takes place in Japan, and if you are interested in Japanese antiques, this series is for you. Rei the main character seems to attrack interesting situations where she becomes an investigator even though she has no real detective experience. Following her through the streets and shops of Japan, I feel as though I have returned there.
Felicia
"Hugh's apartment was its own world, a country to which I held a short-term visa. A place where I could stay, but never truly belong."

The 2nd one in her series. I love the setting (Japan) and the mystery and story were great. The characters remain generally unlikeable and behave oddly.
Ewkilgore
I had to read this for my Japanese American Book Club- it is July's Selection. A lite read - gives some insight into Japanese culture , locations, items although it is written by an Indian- English author- go figure? A mystery- good for carrying to the beach.
aida sabri
My first Sujata Massey book was The Salaryman's Wife. I was completely hooked by the story and decided to take on the second book, Zen Attitude. Not a surprise I was hooked too !!! Now I am a Sujata Massey's fan and read all of her books !!!
Leonie von Hausen
Die Geschichte an sich ist nicht wirklich glaubwürdig, jedoch ist es auf spannende Art und Weise geschrieben und man macht einen kleinen Ausflug in die japanische Umgebung und Kultur. Sehr angenehm zu lesen! Macht Spass!
Toni
I enjoy every adventure with Rei. I am sad to learn that the series has ended. I have kept the last one from myself, to prolong that reality. Happy, easy reads, and I feel like I am learning a little bit about other cultures.
K
Enjoyed, already picked up number three. I love this setting and Rei's character. I was back and forth about the resolution of the domestic violence incident, but. I'll see how the next book goes.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Very good mystery. I think I'm figuring out that whoever is the least likely suspect in these books is the murderer. Still very enjoyable. I love learning a little here and there about Japan.
Jim
Second in a series, after The Salaryman's Wife. Another good immersion in present day Japanese culture and a pretty good mystery. The main characters are getting to be a little annoying, though.
Jeanne
Not only was the mystery involving, the cultural context was rich and engaging. Definitely an enjoyable, stimulating read. And the protagonist was someone I could connect with. She was real.
Kathy
Another fun mystery about Rei Shimura, the young half-Japanese antique dealer who seems to get herself in and out of trouble. This is just a fun read, not true literature but enjoyable.
Connie
Not as entertaining as I expected it to be. Read it for a book group. The author called us while we were there to discuss her book. She sounds fantastic. If only her book was the same.
Christine
Another in the Rei Shimura series - I'm really enjoying the insight into Japanese culture. The dialogue is a bit unbelievable in some cases but all in all enjoyable reads.
Mary Newcomb
An antique dealer in contemporary Tokyo, Rei Shimura, has an interesting life. This mystery took me into a Buddhist temple and some good associated intrigue.

Cindy
Sep 15, 2007 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people looking for a different kind of mystery
Shelves: mysteries
Rei Shimura's relationship is in trouble, she's involved in a murder, and escapes to a Zen temple for some quiet. But crime can finds its way even there.
Jenna
I'm glad I gave this author another try, but I don't know if I will continue with the series. The main character is a little too irrational sometimes.
Marci
This is my favorite book by Sujata Massey. She creates a fascinating and dangerous world centered around a Zen Temple. It's a lot of fun to read.
Kathryn
More mixed-race antiques specialist in Japan mystery. Maybe it's the Nancy Drew quality she brings to these novels that is so comforting.
Lindig
contemporary Japan. She's an American who's relocated to Japan to be an antiques dealer and connect with Japanese family.
Lloyd Flemming
I fun plot that doesn't leave you hanging. Enough action to keep you interested. And even a smattering of a love story.
Hallie
This was pretty middling - a lot I liked about it, and quite a bit that didn't work for me. Setting was the best part.
Amy
yay! a new semi-mindless mystery series for me to read! set in japan with a female main character!
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • The Samurai's Wife (Sano Ichiro, #5)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Inspector Imanishi Investigates
  • Ragtime in Simla (Joe Sandilands, #2)
  • The Hell Screen (Sugawara Akitada, #5)
  • No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
  • Tattoo Murder Case
  • The Second Death Of Goodluck Tinubu (Detective Kubu, #2)
  • Hearts and Bones (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #1)
  • Looking for the Lost: Journeys Through a Vanishing Japan
Sujata Massey is the author of historical and mystery fiction. She is best known for the Rei Shimura mystery series, ten books which have won the Agatha and Macavity awards and been nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, Mary Higgins Clark awards. She is currently writing the eleventh book in the series which she hopes will be published in 2014.

Sujata is also launching a new historical series called Da...more
More about Sujata Massey...
The Salaryman's Wife (Rei Shimura #1) The Bride's Kimono The Flower Master The Floating Girl The Samurai's Daughter