Start by marking “The Yard: Building A Destroyer At The Bath Iron Works” as Want to Read:
The Yard:  Building A Destroyer At The Bath Iron Works

The Yard: Building A Destroyer At The Bath Iron Works

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
For a century, the Bath Iron Works has been building some of the finest, dealiest ships in the U.S. Navy. But now the Maine shipyard is facing mounting competition and a pressing need to modernize, especially in the way it launches ships. No more will the great gray leviathans roar down the "ways" -- the traditional inclined ramp -- into the Kennebec River; this ancient te ...more
Paperback
Published June 1st 2001 by Harper Perennial (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yard

Eric_W
Jan 31, 2009 Eric_W rated it it was amazing
There are few shipbuilding firms left in the United States, and Navy contracts are sometimes the only way they can stay in business. Even so, the Navy has refined its procurement procedures to transfer most of the risk to the shipbuilder. The Navy will supply the basic specifications, but the “yard” is left to design it all as one package, and there can be significant penalties for overweight ($250,000 per 10-ton increments) and for overshooting center-of-gravity (CG) height ($1.25 million per 1 ...more
Paul
Nov 17, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at what it takes to build a modern warship and the people who make it happen. It's a primer on how to build a ship, a history of a shipyard fast approaching a crossroads where some time honored traditions will fade into memory and new methods and technology will revolutionize American shipbuilding, and a look at the last vestiges of a once-powerful industry.

Michael Sanders makes some very tricky concepts a lot easier to understand and introduces the reader to some people with
Alaine Davis
Feb 08, 2016 Alaine Davis rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Every so often I will ask someone "What's the one book you think everyone should read?" and then I'll give it a try. And every so often I will think afterwards, "REALLY?!" This is that book.
Techgurl
Sep 03, 2012 Techgurl rated it it was ok
I jumped into this book looking for the local history since just about everyone I grew up with has worked at 'The Yard'. What i walked away with was a deep understanding of ship building and all of the technical aspects of building on such a grand scale. I reveled in the personal stories of the workers, local legends and launches. I got lost in the detailed technical descriptions of each process required to build the ships.
Liz
Apr 10, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
To me, having worked at Bath Iron Works and since I have friends and family members who are still there, this was a quite fascinating book. Since I only worked there for two summers during college, I didn't know all of the background of the Yard, nor did I know what happens in other areas. I only knew the electrical shop, which was my department. It is an interesting look into the world of Naval Ship Building-a good read all around.
Matt Caris
Jul 14, 2013 Matt Caris rated it liked it
A somewhat dry but important look at warship building at BIW. Good breakdown of what the process, the yard, the ship, and the shipbuilders are like. Lots of small errors, but nothing that truly detracts from the story. At times a little too flag-waving, but the story is told from BIW's perspective, so understandable.
Scott
Aug 10, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting story of Bath Iron works, one of America's most famous shipyards.
Alaine Davis
Alaine Davis marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Casey Mahon
Casey Mahon rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Μάνος Πετρίδης
Μάνος Πετρίδης rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Todd Edwards
Todd Edwards marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Andrew Clark
Andrew Clark rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
David Albright
David Albright marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Brandon Courtney
Brandon Courtney marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Jeff Sedlak
Jeff Sedlak marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
L B
L B marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Chris Mignone
Chris Mignone rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Rich Paquette
Rich Paquette marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
George Klucsarits
George Klucsarits rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Joshua Dollins
Joshua Dollins marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Lisa Moorhead
Lisa Moorhead marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Lillie
Lillie rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Stacey Harrell
Stacey Harrell rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014