Start by marking “The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)

The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,170 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
GUARDIANS INC.: THE CYPHER is two stories in one. A glimpse into a multinational company that is in reality the oldest of secret societies, one that spans close to seven thousand years of existence, weaving in and out of history, guiding and protecting humanity from creatures and forces that most of us believe are only mythology and fairy tales.

The other is the story of Th
Published July 21st 2012 by Julian Rosado-Machain (first published February 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cypher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cypher

Meghan
Thomas loves his grandfather a lot and, now that his parents have died, it's just the two of them. While helping his grandfather look for a job, Thomas comes across an ad that, at first, looks to him like some funny language, but the next time he looks at it, the funny symbols are gone. That ad leads them to the Guardians, Inc mansion for an interview to be the assistant librarian. By the end of the day, both he and his grandpa have jobs there ... and that's only the beginning of the adventure. ...more
Heidi Roth
Dec 05, 2011 Heidi Roth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprise: New Author with a GREAT book! Highly Recommended

Attention readers! If you love Artemis Fowl or Fever Crumb, you definitely want to read this book. I’ve been a fan of books for younger readers nearly all my life. My father, a librarian, got me started on Newberry Award books at an early age. This led to my branching out to other authors who write for the same age group. Today, some of the best new literature being published is in this category.

I’m pleased to say that Guardians Inc.: Th
Wanda Hartzenberg
Mar 04, 2013 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Guardians Inc.: The Cypher (Guardians
This book is one of the few I have come across lately that got me excited to read more.
The story is fresh and not overdone in the YA genre. The characters, Thomas in specific is well developed and the conundrum between good vs. evil, truth vs. appearance etc was a nice twist and a delightful alternative to the love triangle that so permeates this genre.
The plot line, fresh yet comfortable had the reader, in this case me, turning the pages as quick as I possi
Amara
The Cypher is a mediocre mash-up of science fiction and fantasy; I didn't hate it, but frankly, I was rather bored throughout most of it and doubt I'll be reading more in the series. Some aspects were interesting--the magic vs. technology angle, the fate of Thomas (the main character)'s Grandpa, the allusions to Lovecraft--but ultimately, it left me unsatisfied. Little happened, really, and the book came across as more of a beginning than a complete plot, though it improved around 80%.

It also de
Paula
Aug 28, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it, cant wait to get the next book!
Katy
Dec 28, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers, esp. fans of YA urban fantasy, intricate worldbuilding
Recommended to Katy by: LibraryThing
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Those who enjoy YA urban fantasy, an intricate storyline, great storytelling
Trigger Warnings: none

Disclosure: I won a copy of this e-book through the LibraryThing member giveaways. A honest review was requested. Later, not realizing I already had it, I also purchased it for myself through Amazon. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Guardians, Inc: The Cypher is two stories in one. A glimpse into a multinational company that
Rick F.
Aug 03, 2011 Rick F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant- unique book- so very well written- a true original-
very highly recommended. Character,plot and locations so finely drawn!
A JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB MUST READ

Rick Friedman
Founder
THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB
Xenophon Hendrix
Jan 02, 2013 Xenophon Hendrix rated it it was ok
I picked this novel up for free on Amazon. On the good side, the book has some interesting ideas, including a somewhat different take on elemental beings.

Unfortunately, the book's many bad qualities overbalance its good ones. One, it badly needs more copy editing. I understand that English is not the author's first language, but that doesn't mean the poor word usage isn't there.

Two, I often had trouble following just what is being described or is supposed to be happening. For instance, it was ne
Caitlin
Silverose
This book contains a unique blend of science fiction and fantasy for tweens and teens. While some aspects of the setting may seem anachronistic or improbable - the explanation that these features are due to quantum physics is only thinly developed - , the reader who sets aside their disbelief will find an engaging story with complex characters, not to mention some possible discussion topics for book groups or classrooms. The only downside was the ending, or lack thereof....This reviewer prefers ...more
Susan
Sep 14, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
An original story with a unique blend of science fiction and fantasy. The main character, 15 year old Thomas, is likable and has an attitude on life that I wish every teenager had. His relationship with his grandfather is a perfect example of family unity and love. Thomas and his grandfather are suddenly thrown into another world filled with the creatures of our imagination. The interesting twist of how technology and magic relate to each other is interesting and fresh. Looking forward to the ne ...more
Rae M.
This is a neat little book. Thomas is fifteen when he discovers an ad for an assistant librarian position with an odd company, and gets an interview for his grandfather. From there, things take off in a magical tailspin, with the company existing just between magical and non-magical.

I liked it quite a bit. It's an easy and quick read but it's pretty entertaining and I recommend it for fans of magical realism.
Connor
Jan 31, 2013 Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cypher
This book was very imaginative about ancient writing.
I really enjoy this book.
What I like about this book that Thomas can die easily.
I thought from the start that Thomas would be invincible .
I also like this because the names remind me of a game I play.
This is the best book I've read from Amazon so far.
Alex
Nov 07, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cypher is a half mythological or magical, half modern time book. A boy named Thomas and his grandfather are in a race to find the book of Concord. They are both on different sides. I liked the magical part.
Great book! Loved it from the start. I am not sure who I heard about this book from.. and I had a few trepidations about it.. But I was thrilled with how good it was!
Suzy Wilson
Oct 07, 2013 Suzy Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really good idea, but the editing and the characterisation were both thin on the ground.
Nicole Hewitt
This book was an interesting read for me because I had no idea what to expect. The story centers around Thomas, a 16-year-old boy who discovers that not only does magic exist, but it is only being kept from overtaking the world because a company called Guardians Incorporated has been working to keep Magic and technology in balance. But, Magic has slowly been gaining the upper hand and the Guardians need a special person who can find and read the Book of Concord, a book foretelling the future. Th ...more
Emi
A dash of science fiction, a dash of fantasy…Guardians Inc.: The Cypher was a story that was oh so familiar and oh so original at the same time. It’s like Julian Rosado-Machain took everything that I love about middle grade children’s fiction and slammed it into one awesome, well-paced fantasy. It had a mysterious society, good guys, bad guys, in between guys, gargoyles, elves, principals that are skilled at every form of martial arts (and then some), and a mysterious book of prophecies that cou ...more
Anne Wingate
Sep 24, 2012 Anne Wingate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guardians Inc: The Cypher
By Julian Rosado-Machain
Published by TrueBA Interactive ISBN9781450748582
This book was supplied to me by the publisher on condition that I present a true and honest review for it.

Guardians Inc.: The Cypher - A Book Review

When I came to the end of Guardians Inc.: The Cypher, I felt exactly the same way I felt when I came to the end of the first part of The Gulag Archipelago. I felt a bit stunned, almost poleaxed. Where's the rest of it? I had been turning pages as fast as
Skedatt
May 23, 2014 Skedatt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
A perfectly decent read that reminded me of the tv series The Librarian with Bob Newhart--and left me with the same kind of feeling. Everything happened as expected and a few too many references to famous people and things. It was like everything was wrapped up in the this super-company.

On the plus side, the first little bit absolutely grabbed me--the introductory chapter was especially good in the way that he described the Killjoy and the conversations between him and his grandfather. The best
Mareena
Aug 02, 2014 Mareena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Mareena by: Dorothy at Pump up Your Book
Guardians Incorporated is a mysterious multinational company that has a substantial stake in almost every area of society. To the general public, the company's mission statement is relatively innocuous. However, in reality, Guardians Inc. is the oldest of secret societies, one that spans close to seven thousand years of existence, weaving in and out of history, guiding and protecting humanity from creatures and forces that most of us believe exist only in mythology and fairy tales.

Thomas Byrne
Sharon Hughson
Apr 08, 2014 Sharon Hughson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit I enjoyed reading this book even though it had a few structural pitfalls that kept it from getting five stars.
This book read like something for a middle school audience even though the main character is nearly sixteen. The characterization was loose and more emphasis was placed on punchy dialogue and crazy action than on developing the story.
Thus, the pitfall. What is the story problem? This is the first book in a series and it reads like a set-up story. Rather than having a problem
Francis Casabuena
This book never let me down, it impressed me. Technology vs. Magic, that's 100% awesome. I really love books with this character who have no idea on what he's capable of and then one day he became the most important man that will save the world. This book was mixed with mythology and science, history and disasters happened that the author gives a new possible cause that will reach the farthest part of your curious mind. Hands down to you Mr. Machain.
Dawn
May 26, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

This is the first in a series of young adult fantasy books. It’s the story of 15 year old Thomas who has lived with his grandpa since his parents disappeared. They both get a job with Guardians Inc. and that’s when things get interesting.

I liked the characters in this story and it was easy to picture them from the descriptions given. I think my favorite character would have to be Killjoy. What an interesting woman! Thomas is a typical 15 y
Heather
The book was just okay. There were magical elements, non-magical elements, but it seemed like the storylines just didn't mesh together. There were chapters reminiscent of Harry Potter, some of Kane Chronicles, some of even Fablehaven, but it was choppy. Some brilliant ideas in the book that would have made the story a lot better had the storyline been more focused.
Logan Groll
Jun 05, 2015 Logan Groll rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-1-12
A secret society called Guardians Inc. dwells beneath the public eye, a society dedicated to protecting the balance of technology and magic. Thomas is thrust into the conflict when the society discovers that he and his Grandpa are Cyphers, humans who can decipher any magical text. Their skills are used to locate and decipher an ancient text that can tip the scales to either technology or magic.

You could tell that this was the author's first book. He has an interesting concept, but it's an int
Shinyfox

A cute story that has a wonderful premise. I am interested in picking up the rest of the series. I loved the characters and the plot. There were only a few minor details that annoyed me (so minor I can't remember them by the end of the book). Overall it was well written and well planned.
Marnie
Sep 18, 2012 Marnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas is just a regular boy living with his grandfather until an unusual newspaper advert changed both their lives forever. Full of action, suspense and a touch of romance. I loved this book and will definitely be reading the next one!
jgyweniverel
Jan 12, 2012 jgyweniverel marked it as to-read
I have gone on the web site and I think I would most likely, or would love to play the fierce Tasha!
I would love to read this book. Puzzles, cyphers, and thrilling story lines really make you stay awake all night just to keep it going.
Megan
Jun 24, 2015 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, but personally I would have liked it to be longer. I also believe that there wasn't nearly enough action. It was free, however, so maybe I'm holding too high of expectations. Good read, but short.
  • Little Boy Lost (The Librarian, #1)
  • Keeper of Reign
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Tangled Omens
  • Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles, #1)
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • Shifting Pride
  • Grace Doll
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • The Time Hunters (Time Hunters, #1)
  • Death and Kisses
  • The Serpent in the Glass (The Tale of Thomas Farrell, #1)
  • The Buttersmiths' Gold
  • PETER AND THE VAMPIRES (Volume One) (PETER AND THE MONSTERS)
  • The Enchanted
  • Rift Healer
  • The Jack of Souls (Unseen Moon, #1)

Guardians Inc. (3 books)
  • Thundersword (Guardians Inc., #2)
  • The Four Legged Prophet (Guardians Inc., #3)

“December 24th” 0 likes
“The walls were cold to the touch, and the large polished bricks were made of obsidian. Yellow lichen grew out from the junctures of the bricks and over any surface it could.” 0 likes