Passage

Passage

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Passage" is an incredible true story of Grace Balogh and her courage during a turbulent time in American history.

Through her journals, "Passage" recounts the struggles of the Great Depression; America fighting two wars: one with unconditional public support and the other with public indifference; the letters from servicemen that are poignant and timeless; and the emergenc...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passage

Tanya
This book is not at all what I expected. It basically lays out the contents of a mystery box a dying mother left for her adult daughter. The book reproduces letters, journals, and documents from the box that tell of a few unusual events in the woman's life. But it really wasn't that special.
Barely a 3.
Janette Fuller
Sandy Powers' father told her to look on the closet shelf for some boxes that her mother left for her. Her mother had died a few days earlier but never said anything about leaving anything special in the closet. Sandy found several boxes of old letters, journals and documents on her mother's closet shelf. "Passage" is the true story of the secret life of Grace Balogh. The entire book consists of these documents that had been hidden away for so many years.
I found this book to be a real page-turn...more
Katie
Mar 29, 2012 Katie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women's History Buffs, WWII lit. lovers
Recommended to Katie by: New Books at the Library Web Page
Passage is the true story of a woman, Grace Balogh, a PTA mom, and seemingly average lady, who infiltrated and spied on Americans in the Communist Party.

When Sandy Powers' mother, Grace, passed away, her father gave her a box to rummage through, filled with moments of a life kept secret from her children. While the revelations hidden in the box were astounding to her children, and rightfully so, the story culled from Grace's life is presented in a choppy, year skipping, mishmash of scattered let...more
Grady
An American Heroine

PASSAGES is a great read - the letters and documents and newspaper clippings and transcriptions of important radio broadcasts and trial proceedings that accompany the life of on extraordinary, ordinary American woman - Grace Balogh. Grace began her life as an unwanted child of a woman named Orpha Farley, placed in an abusive adoptive home that evidently was a poor choice (there seems to be missing information here as the transition is puzzling to say the least) and later adopt...more
Sandy Powers
Mar 25, 2011 Sandy Powers rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
`Passage," a memoir of 128 pages is out of the ordinary since it is a disclosure of a mother's life, unknown to her children.

Grace's journals, a box of letters and newspaper clippings left for her children reveal details of her difficult childhood, early marriage years, a bout with cancer at age 32, witness to a murder, and her secret life as an FBI informant in Lorain, Ohio, during the early 1950's.

The author, Ms. Powers, youngest of Grace and Bill's five children, was told by her father that...more
Sandy Powers
May 13, 2011 Sandy Powers rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Passage by Sandy Powers

D. Blankenship (The Ozarks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Passage (Paperback)
It is not that often that I come across a book that completely captives me and hold my interest from the first sentence right to the last. I started this book and literally could not put it down and read it straight through in one setting.

There are reasons for this. First, this is a very compelling story...more about that later. Secondly, th...more
Hattie
Sandy Powers' passage is a true story. The story is told via journals and letters. Grace Balogh didn't live a happy life. She was an orphan. Her stepmother, Elizabeth, is a cruel woman who treats Grace with anything but kindness. There is also a gruesome telling of a murder. The murder happens in Ohio. This is really, I think, my first true murder story. I've never thought the genre would interest me. It is interesting to read about what happens to "real" people because of the violence in the mi...more
Dana
May 06, 2011 Dana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys history
Shelves: first-reads
Do we really know who are parents are? We know them because they are Mom and Dad, but who were they before us? What do they do outside of us? One woman finds out after the death of her mother when she finds her journals. I can imagine that she was quite surprised by what she found. "Wow! That's my MOM?" Yeah...that's your mom.

This book had the journal entries from her mother (although, not nearly enough) and copies of newspaper clippings. Being a fan of history, the newspaper clippings were wha...more
Shanley
*Won a free copy from FirstReads*

I truly enjoyed this book... think 3.5 stars. A fascinating compilation of diary entries and related newspaper articles about an Ohio housewife's life from childhood to her time as an undercover FBI informant on the American Communist Party.

Among the things I really enjoyed about this book include a reminder of how prevalant diaries used to be and how fascinating they are, a housewife's perception of current political and world events of the time, seeing how a w...more
Barb
Mar 26, 2012 Barb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Even though this book was little, it was very interesting and very thought provoking. It starts out as a letter that a daughter writes to her children that they are to open upon her death. In the box with the letter are newspaper clippings and letters from soldiers along with her journal. The book has us read excepts from her journal and they are interspersed with the clippings. All of this is taking place during WWII and then the start of the Korean conflict. As I read it, I realize that this a...more
Wanda
I didn't like the book. I felt the description was misleading. The book is about a daughter discovering who her mother was. There are journals and newspaper articles, as well as letters. The book starts in the early 1900s. There are one or two journal entries for every year. The letters and articles are included. I understand the articles, but I do not quite get why the letters are in the book. I don't even know who the letters are from or the significance of them. The book does not give any clu...more
Peggy
Sandy Powers has written a story of the life of her mother from the early 1940's to the present. After her mother's death, the grown children are given a box of letters and newspaper clippings about a woman they hardly knew. She was a spy for the FBI during the cold war years. She was adopted and her father's second wife was abusive to her. She raised 6 children during the difficult WWII years. The story is told from the letters and clippings.
Julie
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads and I absolutely loved this book. It was such a quick and easy read, yet it allowed a glimpse into the life of an amazing woman who protected the democracy of the United States. I can't imagine the shock Sandy Powers must have felt when she first read the journals of her mother. The fact that she was able to share the story that her mother never was able to share is such a gift!
Aimee
Our parents live a whole life before they even have children that we may never know about. I find that so interesting. Keeping a journal for the next generation and the ones after that can be so fascinating for the reader. Even the most mundane can become important, however, this woman's life was far from mundane. It's a fast read and if nothing else, it renewed my interest in keeping a journal.
Judith
Intriguing story of a woman who faces more than her share of trials from her Depression-era childhood and throughout her life. Written by her daughter, this memoir records details of a horrific childhood, young marriage, illness, yet is never overly-sentimental. Grace's life takes an interesting turn in the 1950's when she becomes more than the ordinary housewife she appears to be. . .
Karyn
It was an interesting story about a housewife and mother who became a spy during the Cold War. I loved how the story was pieced together from newspaper articles and journals. I wished there was more though. There was so much that her mother couldn't write about in her journal because she was instructed not to by the FBI- but I can't help but wonder if more could be uncovered.
Kama
Very quick read. It is amazing that Grace was able to keep her life a secret from her children until her death. She sounds like she was an amazing and courageous person. I felt frustrated that we never learned what her birth history was. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Heidi
This was the amazing true story of the author's mother. She eventually becomes a spy for the CIA. The book is a collection of journal entries and newspaper clippings. It was a pretty fast read, and it kept you turning the pages right until the end.
Becky
This was a very interesting book. I wish we had more details in places, but since it was written from original letters and documents we just don't get that luxury. It was short but worth the read!
Shannon Baas
wonderful book. only took a couple of hours to read. I love historical books like this. Very interesting collection. I would defeinitely recommend it.
Mslogar
this had potential, but failed. A true story but so much left out that I was only left with more questions.
Irwin
Apr 11, 2011 Irwin marked it as to-read
I just won as a goodreads giveaway! waiting to read it. Thanks.
Angelo Magdaleno
Angelo Magdaleno marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
M
M added it
Jun 03, 2013
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Baby Crochet: 20 Hand-Crochet Designs for Babies 0-24 Months Wedding Crochet: 20 Romantic & Feminine Crochet Designs for Your Special Day The Hungry Traveler Bunny Hat Crochet Pattern PDF 441 A Passage