Start by marking “If You Lived In Colonial Times” as Want to Read:
If You Lived In Colonial Times

If You Lived In Colonial Times

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  27 reviews

If you lived in colonial times
--What kind of clothes would you wear?
--Would you go to school?
--What would happen if you didn't behave?

This book tells you what it was like to live in the New England colonies during the years 1565 to 1776.
Published May 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about If You Lived In Colonial Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Lived In Colonial Times

Lara Lleverino
Julia thought this books taught her a lot about colonial times. She will never forget that children in colonial days drank beer!
Angela Hutchinson

In this book, students will learn about how people lived, dressed, and acted during the colonial times. The book listed several different trades that people during that time had to do to survive. People made their own clothes and furniture too. Times were difficult because the people were new to the land and the things that were not imported had to be made or grown. This book asks numerous questions and it gives the answer to the questions. This would be a good book to read to the students, and
Jessica
The flow of this book was amazing. I thought it would just be a fact and answer book, but it was much better. It told all about what life would be like in colonial times. It had humor though and was an interesting quick read. I think students will really like this non-fiction read out loud.
Ricci
These books are excellent for kids of all ages and gives a short and direct approach to living during certain time periods.
Renee
I'd like to buy this for our homeschool collection. S could easily read it on his own and it has lots of interesting facts.
Alyssa
Nov 30, 2010 Alyssa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I just finished reading the book If You Lived In Colonial Times by Ann McGovern like if you lived in one of the New England colonies during the years between 1565 and 1776. this book is in a great question and answer format it helps you to understand what more specific aspects of these times were and how they lived thought all the hard ships of creating a town/home that was safe and had a bounty of resources necessary to live during the colonial times. I enjoyed reading this book and learning m ...more
Sabrina
So it's the first snow fall of the winter season . . .10"s or so, lost power for 2 days.

This book was the perfect thing to read to my boys during our night of no electricity, warming by the fireplace and reading by candle light.

I loved the question and answer format and thought the book could have gone on for a bit longer.

My son was cracking up over some of the laws (kind of a scary funny) and wanted to know who the heck created them and why?! And I think he asked me WHAT?! several times through
Arianna
Feb 01, 2014 Arianna is currently reading it
i dont know i dont really like this website all i want to do is read the book :(
Dawn Trlak-Donahue
Great intro to history for kids.
HeavyReader
This was another book that came to me via school book orders. I loved its question and answer format, and read it repeatedly.

I still remember that in the list of instructions for kids was this gem "stuff not your mouth to fill your cheeks," or something along those lines. There was a lot of things kids (and adults!) were not supposed to do.

And how creepy is that cover picture of modern kids looking into that old school mirror and seeing their colonial times counterparts?
Greg Lico
Back in the third grade, we had a unit in social studies on Colonial America. We had this book as our textbook to help learn about how colonial people lived. The copy I was given was very old but I read it cover to cover, and re read it. Something at that time I never did.

This book changed my life. It introduced me to the subject of history and since then, I have devoted my life to learning about the people's and civilizations of the past. It has fascinated me to no end.
Charlie
After reading this book, I don't want to live back then. Glad I didn't.
Amanda Stacy
This is a great piece of literature to use around 2nd to 4th grade. It goes in to talking about the pilgrims and the first snow. It's set up in an awesome question answer format that keeps the students engaged. Would be great for an integrated lesson plan around thanksgiving for reading, writing and social studies.
Sabrina
This is a Q & A type book. A question is posed ad a topic. Then it is answered along wit hat vivid illustration. It gets children interesting in learning about the colonial ere because it is written from a child's poinf of view during the colonial era.
Wendee
Aug 16, 2008 Wendee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with kids 5-9
I bought this book for Ethan on our trip to Plymouth, Mass. He really enjoyed reading it and was very interested in how kids lived, in those days. We even had a great conversation on some of the "strange" things they could not do on Sunday. =o)
Bailey
Nov 29, 2010 Bailey added it
Shelves: social-studies
This is a great and informative book about colonial times, though it is very lengthy. I took excerpts from it to read to my class during my PTLS. It has lots of interesting information about the thirteen colonies and it has great illustrations.
Madeline
Fun and informative. It shows you how the Colonists dressed, what they did around the house, the games they played, what the schools where like, which kids went to which schools, and much more.
This seems a bit dated and the drawings a bit stereotypical to me. I believe it is part of a series of If You Lived... books. Decent but could definitely have been done better.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a2, ar-4
RL 4.0

AR Quiz No. 18478 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.1 - AR Pts: 1.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Christy
A kid friendly text with great illustrations. It tells about life in the New England colonies in 1565 - 1776. A good resource for students to know how kids lived.
Daniel Threlfall
Read this to my daughters, aged 2 (almost 3) and 4. They loved it, and so did I. It was especially interesting to me after reading several books on early America.
Shanna
I used to love reading this book in grade school-I still can't believe they would beat you over the head with a wooden stick if you fell asleep in church...
Deanna
My kids loved this book and begged me to read the whole book in one sitting. We learned what colonial kids ate, read, did and many more things.
Amanda
A fun comprehensive book of life in Colonial Times. There were a few laugh out loud moments.
Melanie
This was fun to read with my kids and compare life now to life back then.
Ashlee
This series is fantastic for all children.
Ellie
Very useful for teachers.
Wakeupandlearn
Wakeupandlearn is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The American Revolution
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Will You Sign Here, John Hancock?
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln (Picture Book Biography)
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • We the Kids
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Clara Barton: Founder of the American Red Cross
Stone Soup Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics) Too Much Noise If You Sailed On The Mayflower The Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah Sampson