8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf

8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf (TaleSpins #1)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Written in verse, this is the previously untold story of the previously unknown 8th dwarf, named Creepy. He is banished to the basement for being different and, well, weird. Yet he plays a vital - and of course previously unknown - role in the popular tale of Snow White (whose title character is an intruder Creepy refers to as "the Maid").
Kindle Edition
Published by Gemiknight Studios, LLC (first published November 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 8

karen
i get a lot of review requests. a lot. and i have to turn most of them down because i am someone with very little in the way of free time and too many books to read already. and i wish these authors the best of luck, i do, but i have a pretty good sense of what kind of books i will respond to, and i hate saying negative things about authors who are on small presses or self-published, because i appreciate spirit and spunk and all that, but every once in a while, i let one in (LGM) ESPECIALLY if i...more
Inspired Kathy
Book Giveaway & Author Interview ends 11/9/11: http://iamareadernotawriter.blogspot....

The stories we pass down from parent to child
Were once filled with darkness, but somehow turned mild.
We tweak and revise, and when all else fails
We choose to omit certain crucial details.
Until they're forgotten, and nobody knows
How a story originally, truthfully goes.

So begins 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf, a short 22 page story told in verse. I'm a lover of fractured f...more
Book Him Danno
Fairy tales lost something when all the dreadful parts were removed to make them more appropriate for children. We now have children that think everything is going to be great and nothing bad ever happens in the world. We all know that isn’t true and I have to say that I enjoyed this rendition of Snow White. The idea that everything was not perfect, besides the messy cottage, in the lives of the Dwarfs was refreshing.

This short story is written in verse and includes drawings along the way. I rea...more
Cyp
DO NOT judge a book by its cover. Seriously, this book may seem middle-gradey and younger, but there are sexual innuendoes in here. I know I've got you at the sexual part, so read on, folks!

Originally posted at A Bookalicious Story.

Ingenious! At first when I received the ebook from the author, well, being the Paranormal Geekfan that I am, I was thinking I wouldn't like the book, but was in a very What-the-Heck mood so I accepted it. I would never have expected myself capable of ever reading a bo...more
Lisa
Oh Creepy. I did not know you existed but you may now be my favourite Dwarf.

I love fairy tales. I love Grimm's fairy tales. I love the dark, more adult side to fairy tales. This met those requirements and was also witty and funny. I felt a lot of empathy for Creepy! He was so misunderstood. Why were the other Dwarfs so unaccepting of his unique personality?! He was probably more pleasant to be around than Grumpy!

Anyway, I loved how the author created this poem/tale about the "Unknown 8th Dwarf"...more
Linda
We all know the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs but very few people know about the eighth dwarf the other seven locked in the basement. Few people know of the important part he played in the story of Snow White and her happily ever after. Things could have ended very differently if it wasn't for this Dwarf.

I originally thought this would be fun for the kids but it is not a children's book but an adult short story. It is clean but it is still for adults. The ending of the story was very...more
Sophie
This book is awesome!
I loved it!
I was contacted by the author to give this story a go. At the complete opposite end of my normal reading genre (verse) I decided to give it a go, not really expecting much. After all, I did love the story f Snow White when I was a kid. I didn't read any other reviews before accepting or reading it so all I had to go one was the description the author sent me. I'm glad I did! Only eight pages on my Nook, there was a lot of story within. I really liked how it was told in verse also. It was cute, f...more
Alleluialu
I won an e-copy of this book in the Giveaway Hop Nov. 8th - 11th. I had been seeing descriptions of it around the blogosphere and I was curious about it. It is written completely in verse -- rhyming verse! The story is not really a children's story because there are parts that are "suggestive" but nothing really happens. And I guess you would expect a dwarf named Creepy to think like that. Creepy is the 8th dwarf in the Snow White story. He irritates the other 7 dwarves so badly that they send h...more
Ana
Following Michael Mullin’s example, I’m going to limit this review to a short blurb (probably combined with some rude remarks about a certain novel, as well). After reading Snow White and the Huntsman -–which definitely puts the filmy in based-on-the-film–- just yesterday, I wasn’t terribly excited to read yet another spin on this classic story. (I guess fairy tales are coming back into style, right?)

However, I decided to give 8 a shot. At only about 2,000 words, I figured that it wouldn’t have...more
SarahO
Check out this review and others on my Blog: Krazy Elf's Bookshelf

The Good
Let me start off by saying that I thought this was a very well done retelling of Snow White. Though my friends can tell you I’m not a big fan of poetry but I simply LOVED how it was written in verse. I think it worked perfectly for what the author was going for; the sound of the story is very fairy-tale[ish] (though not for young children.) The end rhymes were written in an aabbccdd style though the rhyming didn’t overpowe...more
Brandon Barney
Title: 8 by Michael Mullin
Reviewed by: Brandon Barney
Genre: Young Adult or Teen Fairytale Fiction (1,990 words)
Ebook Description
Written in verse, this is the previously untold story of the previously unknown 8th dwarf, named Creepy. He is banished to the basement for being different and, well, weird. Yet he plays a vital - and of course previously unknown - role in the popular tale of Snow White (whose title character is an intruder Creepy refers to as "The Maid".)
Review:
Upon reading the blurb...more
Big Book Little Book
This is an interesting poem which introduces itself by saying that we don’t always get the full truth, the full story of what happens in stories as they are passed down, for example in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The poem goes on to tell us that in fact there were 8 dwarves, but the 8th was quite different and his name was Creepy. He seemed to like to live up to this name and so the other dwarves shut him down in the cellar and ignored him except to pass his food through to him.

One day, whe...more
Lainy
Nov 04, 2011 Lainy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Blurb from goodreads

My Review

I was so intrigued by the blurb I bumped this up my review list (naughty I know!) but I couldn't help myself - everyone knows the s...more
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today's review is on 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf by Michael Mullin

As Mullin states in this book, many tales that have been spun by authors such as The Brothers Grimm, have been altered through the years to provide the elusive Happily Ever After. Truth be told however, not everyone gets that happy ending. Nor does good always triumph over evil. That is just one reason why I really enjoyed 8.

Written with the prose of a seasoned rhymer, 8 is filled with witty...more
Lindsay Paige
Dec 01, 2011 Lindsay Paige added it
Shelves: own
Title Thoughts: A little long, but I still like it.
Cover Thoughts: I adore this cover. I love the eyes peeking up from under the floorboards and how it seems as if he is smiling due to the lines on the floor.

I loved this little story. I was a little hesitant because I don't really care for the story of Snow White, but I had to give it a try just to see what this 8th dwarf is all about. Although I had to read it aloud in my head to really hear the rhymes, it flowed so smoothly. There were a few s...more
Daniela
8 is an entirely new and improved version of the famous fairy-tale Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It's the darker, twisted side of the cheerful story, and it's got a slightly more profound touch of reality to it. And by that I mean that the original implication of the story is replaced by a new moral, which is easier to understand and far more down-to-earth. Meaning that I loved it even more. Meaning that I will be rereading this over and over again until I have it memorized by heart.

Creepy is...more
David Brown
It’s hard to forget Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, whether it’s the original Disney film or the Gremlins singing along to it in the cinema back in the early eighties. Michael Mullin has revisited the classic story but put a different spin on things, telling some of the story from the POV of a character not previously mentioned.

Did you know there were actually eight dwarves and not seven? Well, you do now. This is the story of the eighth dwarf – Creepy. As his name suggests, Creepy is a little...more
Shanan
In A Nutshell:
I did not know what to expect when I won a copy of this short story--the concept did not initially draw me in. But I am glad I sat down and read it. I found the story to be one that will stick with me much longer than I expect--and for all the right reasons. It is well written and overall a lot of fun to read.

Review:
When I first started reading 8, I was drawn in by the almost lyrical, slightly rhyming, sing-songy verse. I almost started reading it to my daughter because it seemed...more
Alice Yeh
In a tongue-in-cheek approach reminiscent of James Finn Garner's Politically Correct Bedtime Stories: Modern Tales for Our Life & Times, this satirical rendition of Snow White is a new kind of bedtime story—one intended for grown-ups (or young adults, as it were).

Most adults have heard of Doc, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Bashful, and Grumpy. Mullin introduces us to Creepy, a misunderstood character who was banished by his brothers to a sort of netherworld: the basement. Instead of lovable,...more
Melissa ( Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf)
See my full review here: http://melissaseclecticbookshelf.blog...

I hate to admit that I wasn't eagerly anticipating this read...I pushed it off on my TBR until I finally started feeling guilty, pulled it out, and quickly devoured this short tale told in all in rhyming verse. I had feared that the storytelling would be inhibited by the verse but it actually was very well done and enhanced the story.

I loved the spin that Mike Mullin put on the classic tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. In h...more
Krysta
Note: I received a copy of this book from the author.

Mullin begins this original retold fairy tale by reminding readers of its roots: oral tradition passed down through the generations. He simultaneously connects his audience with the rich history of retellings throughout the years and introduces a new chapter in that history. He invites the audience to become a part of that history with him by reading his story and reflecting upon what a “true” tale is—is it, as the narrator suggests, what real...more
Kim
Everyone knows the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Snow White winds up at the house of the seven dwarfs and is subsequently found by the evil Queen and poisoned by eating the Queen’s apple. If Mullin’s tale is to be believed, Snow White had a helper who was instrumental in her survival of the Queen’s first two attacks (the poisoned comb and magical shawl). This “helper” is a quirky, odd, and strange dwarf that’s been locked in the basement due to his weird antics.

Mullin’s 8th dwarf is...more
Bonnie Lamer
Fairy tales have changed drastically over time. The brothers Grimm told stories that were much darker than the tales that are told today. Possibly, as time went by, their tales that often dealt with death and danger were not needed as much as they once were. Or, we simply reject the idea of fairy tale having anything other than a happy ending nowadays.
That certainly is not the direction that Michael Mullin takes his version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Getting back to the roots of what fa...more
Marlene
8 by Michael Mullin is just the kind of fractured fairy tale that might have been told in an alternate universe Rocky and Bullwinkle. That's high praise, I loved those stories. The sly humor operated on multiple levels, which is why more folks than just the famous moose and squirrel attended "Wossamotta U"

But 8, and yes, the title is just the number 8, is the story of the heretofore unknown eighth dwarf, named "Creepy" by his better known brothers.

Creepy's just moody. He's kind of a night owl, a...more
Leanne Bell
I honestly loved this and though it's very short it is a delightful read that will bring a smile to your face. For those who love Snow White and the Seven Dwarves but thought that maybe there was more to the story than first appeared, this is a sure win.

I laughed through a lot of the verse but there were some points that struck a true cord with regards to prejudice and casting judgement. And man do I have a different opinion of those Dwarves and of Snow White. I think I will always want Snow Whi...more
Beth
This story line was so clever and entertaining...kudos to the author!

I love this review from the blog "Reading Reality" http://www.readingreality.net/2011/12...

"Then 'the Maid' showed up. Fairy tales usually refer to her as Snow White. Creepy saw everything! Absolutely everything. And heard everything too. The floors, well, there were some holes in those floorboards.

His brothers never told the poor girl that there was a dwarf literally under her feet. So she cooked and cleaned while he spied on...more
L_manning
Everyone knows the story of Snow White. At least, they think they do. This very short book is a quirky take on a traditional tale. Told in rhyming verse, it tells the story of Creepy, the until now unknown 8th dwarf. Banished to the basement, Creepy is very surprised when a random maiden appears in his house. Little does he know, things are about to change. For everyone but him.

I loved this story so much! If Dr. Seuss had decided to twist fairy tales, this would be the result. It's smart and fu...more
Erlynn (BooksHugBack)
8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf is a short retelling of the Snow White fairy-tale. Creepy is the 8th dwarf that is banished to the basement in the cottage because he is different than the others.

Written in poem form, 8 is a fast fun read that sheds a new light on the beloved fairy-tale. The new twist is creative and quirky, and even a bit dark. The verse is fantastic and the entire time I was thinking how this would be awesome if I was at an actual author read...more
Into the Forest: TaleSpins Books 1 6 Apr 15, 2012 08:38PM
  • Two Moons of Sera Vol. 1
  • I Loved You First
  • Nate Rocks the World (Nate Rocks, #1)
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Twice Upon a Time
  • Paranormal Pleasures: Ten Tales of Supernatural Seduction
  • Shards of the Glass Slipper: Queen Cinder (Shards of the Glass Slipper, #1)
  • A Magical History (The Mauve Legacy, #1)
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
  • The Armless Maiden: And Other Tales for Childhood's Survivors
  • The Curse of Gremdon
  • The Lost Art of World Domination (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1.5)
  • Once Upon a Crime
  • Deadly Pursuit (Blood Hunter, #2)
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • The Fine Colour of Rust
  • Hunger
Michael Mullin is a native New Englander living in Pasadena. He is Founder and CEO of Gemiknight Press, which currently publishes his own work and his collaborations, but is moving toward accepting submissions. The company's flagship title is "TaleSpins," a trilogy of alternative fairy tales and retellings for YA readers. Michael is also author of the middle-grade sci-fi/humor novel "Rocketboy: Th...more
More about Michael Mullin...
TaleSpins The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny Larry Gets Lost in Portland Larry Gets Lost in San Francisco Larry Gets Lost in Texas