Start by marking “Pillar of Fire” as Want to Read:
Pillar of Fire

Pillar of Fire

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Brought in chains as a slave girl to the court of ancient Egypt, Nofret knew intimately the key players in an extraordinary era: The Pharaoh Akhenaten, who defied the ancient Egyptian deities to worship the One True God, and his beautiful queen Nefertiti. Tutankhamon, the young boy-king murdered in a ruthless struggle for power. Johanan, the handsome young Hebrew laborer w ...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published July 18th 2006 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Pillar of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pillar of Fire

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside)

Easily Judith Tarr's best book, with rich world-building, a wide array of well-drawn characters, and an impressive plot twist that keeps the reader engaged through the entire length of the novel.

Let me say first that I have long since grown weary of "real Egyptian personages meet characters from the Bible" novels. Authors, either you are writing a novel based on mythology (the Bible) or you are writing a novel based on history (real Egyptians). To shoehorn one into another seems like an
Lisa
This is, perhaps, one of the better Amarna novels, and one of the most satisfying retellings of the Exodus story. The fact that one does not preclude the other is testament to the fine skill Judith Tarr shows in plotting out and writing of Pillar of Fire.

I was reluctant to read this for a long time – I have very little interest in reading about Biblical characters meeting and interacting with real Ancient Egyptians, and even less interest in attempts to equate Biblical characters with real Ancie
Mara
2.5 stars, rounded to 3 stars

This was a hard book for me to rate. It was better then okay, but it's not one I'd recommend to everyone.

I thought it was an interesting story. I enjoyed some parts of it. However, other parts seemed really long. I learned a lot as I read it. I looked at a map to see where Canaan and Sinai was compared to Egypt. However, with all that I also felt like I had to wade through a lot of nothing to get to the main part of the story.

Kristyn Jensen
This book was not what I expected it to be. I've read other books about the reign of Nefertiti, but never one that took it in the direction of this. Shock is the best way to describe it, but the most intiguing part was the author's note where she says that very little had to be changed historically for the story. I loved it!
Janet
An account of the Exodus from the perspective of a Hittite slave woman. Whereas, the storyline is interesting, this kind of book can be very dangerous to people that lack Biblical knowledge in that, this work of fiction could be perceived as fact. Tarr takes a perfect story and corrupts it. Why go there?
Deb
I am reading at leat 5 novels that circle around the same characters. It is intertesting see how the figures are treated in each novel and even how the plot varies, as to who dies when and how thety do. This is a Hittite slave's veiw of the court of Nefertiti and Ankaten (sp?)
Madeline
Aug 11, 2007 Madeline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction lovers/Biblical Fiction lovers
Shelves: historical, fiction
Judith Tarr is an amazing suck you in author. I couldn't put this book down and many say it's not even among her best. It retells/combines the story of Akenaton and Moses told through the eyes of a slave to the Pharoh.
My favorite Judith Tarr book. Detailed epic of egyptian historical fiction. Well developed characters and well-paced plot.
Beverly
This was a very enjoyable and reimagining of the Moses/Exodus story making creative use of the archeological evidence.
Matt Howard
A great way to pass a cold winter evening, but not great literature.
Melissa
Interesting take on the Moses story
Deborah Pickstone
Deborah Pickstone marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Meri
Meri marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Teanka (Anna Rolicka)
Teanka (Anna Rolicka) marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Shan
Shan is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
James Hill
James Hill marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Walter Parker
Walter Parker marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Tiff
Tiff marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • The Twelfth Transforming
  • The Right Hand of Amon (Lieutenant Bak, #1)
  • The Empire of Darkness (Queen of Freedom, #1)
  • Sovereign of Stars (The She-King, #3)
  • Out of the Black Land
  • HETAERA: Daughter of the Gods
  • A God Against the Gods
  • The Lost Queen of Egypt
  • A Killing Among the Dead
  • The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King, #1)
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • Pharaoh (Kleopatra, #2)
  • Voices from the Other World: Ancient Egyptian Tales
AKA Caitlin Brennan, Kathleen Bryan.

Judith Tarr (born 1955) is an American author, best known for her fantasy books. She received her B.A. in Latin and English from Mount Holyoke College in 1976, and has an M.A. in Classics from Cambridge University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Medieval Studies from Yale University. She taught Latin and writing at Wesleyan University from 1988-1992, and taught at the
More about Judith Tarr...
Household Gods The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1) The Hound and the Falcon Alamut (Alamut, #1) King and Goddess