Start by marking “Pływanie” as Want to Read:
Pływanie

Pływanie

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  965 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews

A spectacular debut about the rise of an Olympic champion—a novel about competition, obsession, the hunger for victory, and a young girl with an unsinkable spirit struggling to stay afloat in the only way she can.

When we first meet Pip, the extraordinary heroine of Nicola Keegan’s first novel, she is landlocked in a small town in the center of Kansas, literally swimming fo

Published March 2011 by W.A.B. (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pływanie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pływanie

Erk Wyatt
Dec 14, 2011 Erk Wyatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Go Swimming.

There are certain books that make me into S-L-O-W Man. Stories that I don't want to end: Unbearable Lightness of Being. The Shipping News. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I don my goggles, stick my head in a bucket of amber and suspend time- trying to read as slowly as humanly possible. Add Swimming to this sticky note.

Ms. Keegan does a great job drawing the reader into her pool, letting us swim, and sink, with her heroine, Philomena, a.k.a. Pip.

Readers will need to keep up with the ace
Katie
Aug 10, 2011 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to rate this a "4" but I started liking it less towards the end. As Philomena (the lead character) got more mentally unstable, the text got more stream-of-consciousness-y and it started to lose my interest. I see where the author was going with that, but I just really wasn't following it as well (perhaps I refused to be dragged down into madness with her!) and I lost track of which parts were real and which were imaginary. That part started to seem like work and not pleasure reading.

BUT
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.0 out of 5 stars Live to swim and swim to live..., June 1, 2009

This review is from: Swimming (Hardcover)

I finished this book a couple of days ago and had to give it some thought and reflection before I commented on it.

This novel, about a girl who lives to swim and swims to live, has a lot of ambition but somehow it falls short and sort of left me depressed. It's an incredibly complex tale of a young girl's sad coming of age and her relentless pursuit of Olympic gold in swimming. The story is
Linda Reminger
Dec 18, 2009 Linda Reminger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first chapter, I thought the book had a lot of promise. There was one great description after another of Pip as a baby.

"I have 7 chins varying in size and volume; crevasses things get stuck in that my mother has to excavate carefully after each bath."

"She leans towards me with a cotton ball dipped in baby oil, two purple sandbags of fatigue carefully holding down her eyes, and I karate-kick the open bottle out of her hand."

"If I fall asleep listening to the beat of my mother's
Jul 21, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At various points my opinion of "Swimming" traversed a roller-coaster veering from one to five stars: down, up, and down again. "Swimming" defies easy categorization, and is certainly not a typical sports bio. The swimming itself, and especially the Olympic experiences, are not the focal point of the book by any means. That is important to know, because I think that for most readers, their enjoyment will be in part based on how well the book matches their expectations.

Nicola Keegan writes in a h
zan
Aug 29, 2009 zan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-favorites
I didn't think I would give this book five stars. At first it felt too cluttered, a bit pretentious, and a bit too precious. But reading this book was like running downhill - at some point it becomes so exhilerating, so terrifying, and so wonderful that you have to exclaim out loud.
Ashley
Jun 20, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so it's a book about a (fictional) Olympic gold medalist in swimming. Hmmm. Snooze. Sports bio? Blech. But not so fast... the thing that some crankypants on goodreads don't like--that the book is not really all "about" swimming--is what I like about it best. Swimming forms an exquisite backdrop for what is really the story of being Philomena, seeing the world as she sees it. There are healthy doses of family drama here. I'd recommend it for anyone who liked Jenny Downham's Before I Die or ...more
Rachel Jones
Nicola Keegan writes Swimming exactly the way a person thinks when he or she is logging long hours in the pool. If you've ever swam competitively, you'll know what I'm talking about. Every thought, every memory, every conversation plus the taste of chlorine blends together in an internal dialogue that no one else can respond to.

This book is written entirely in that stream of consciousness style, which isn't one I typically like, but it works well here. I'm giving this book 3 stars on the streng
Karen
Mar 06, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. I feel like the description on the book cover was misleading. As the title suggests, the book is about a girl that becomes an Olympic champion in swimming. It follows her life from like 8 years old to 28 years old. The book cover made it sound like it was very much about the swimming world and competing and the Olympic experience. But that was hardly covered. It was more just about her thoughts and feelings and relationships -- swimming was such a back story even ...more
Robin
Aug 07, 2009 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2009-list
After reading a number of positive reviews about this novel, I was sure to order it for my library's collection. And I was excited to get it and start reading it. But right from the beginning, I was having trouble getting into it. Maybe I had spent the summer reading teen novels and easier to understand fiction but I was having trouble getting through this novel of just over 300 pages. When I looked at the book again and I saw a piece of a review that mentioned the author as being the imaginary ...more
Cynthia
Aug 26, 2010 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pip is born large and loud. This big baby has a talent for swimming, though, that author Nicola Keegan explains well.

(page 7)"All I know is that when I kick, it moves me, so I kick again, liberated from my fleshy prison of gravity."

The side story of Pip's sister Bron's illness is told well and from differing viewpoints. We feel Bron's anger, her indifference and her frustration with her dysfunctional family.

(page 41) "The moon waxes, the moon wanes, Lake Shawnee's vivid green deepens into brown,
Fredsky
Jul 04, 2009 Fredsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and couldn't put it down for a lot of pages and chapters. The narrator is wonderful, a tough, smart, skinny 6"2" Olympic champion, and we watch her get there from a family full of loss. I loved training with her, and I really loved the contrast between the way she describes herself on land and the quick shots we have of her in the pool.

The first time I read it, I perceived something that wasn't there at all. I thought, finishing it, that most of the last half was a description
Terryann
Mina Ash’s life starts at 9 months old in the swimming pool and travels through tragedy and weirdness all the way to the Olympics. However, this book is not about swimming. Mina tries to relate to the world with glimpses into the lives of those around her amidst the craziness of her life and her family. Sarcastic and prose ridden, this emotional story puts your heart in your throat at the beginning and doesn’t let it out till the very end. Read by Aya Cash, who successfully turns choppy passages ...more
Aug 26, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a point last weekend where I was ravenous for this book. You know that feeling where you're kind of annoyed at life getting in the way of reading? That's where I was. I think it might have been one of those serendipitous reads because it pulses with a dull ache and sadness, but doesn't overwhelm you with it. And last weekend I was totally into diving in and wading around in the gloom and anguish. (See what I did there? I'm a cheeseball and I couldn't resist.)

I must say, the last 75 pa
Bücher-Stöberia
Philomena ist fürs Schwimmen einfach geboren. Es gibt ihr das Gefühl von Freiheit und es bereitet ihr das größte Vergnügen, die Welt an sich vorbeisausen zu sehen.

Doch gleichzeitig bewirkt das Schwimmen bei Philomena etwas Anderes: Nach den ersten neun Monaten ihres Lebens, in denen sie nie länger als eine Stunde und 43 Minuten geschlafen hat, fällt sie nach ihrer ersten Schwimmstunde in einen vierzehn Stunden andauernden Tiefschlaf.

Philomena ist die Ich-Erzählerin des Romans und breitet vor dem
Jule
Apr 18, 2015 Jule rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rezensiert
„Schwimmen“, der Debütroman der irischen Schriftstellerin Nicola Keegan, handelt vom Leben der rekordverdächtigen Schwimmerin und Olympiasiegerin Philomena Grace Ash, den Wettkämpfen sowie den persönlichen Krisen und glücklichen Momenten.
Philomena wird als Zweites von vier Mädchen, Ende der 60er, im erzkatholischen Kansas geboren. Schon beim Babyschwimmen wird klar, dass sie eine besondere Beziehung zum Wasser und zum Schwimmen selbst, hat.
Nach zwei schweren Schicksalsschlägen wird das Schwimmen
Mary Lou
Dec 10, 2015 Mary Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this review by E. Wyatt on Amazon sums it up well:

"There are certain books that give me great pause. Stories that I don't want to end: Unbearble Lightness of Being. The Shipping News. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I don my goggles, stick my head into a bucket of syrup, trying mightily to suspend time- trying to read as slowly as humanly possible. Add Swimming to this list sticky notes.

Terry
May 19, 2013 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHY do children have to raise their parents?
Kate Z
Jul 26, 2012 Kate Z rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to be inspired, to catch at little bit of "Olympic Fever." I hoped to get a glimpse into the life of Olympic hopeful, a taste of the Olympics. Instead I was depressed and brought down by the overwhelming weight of the world that tends to creep into ordinary lives - even Olympians, it seems, have family problems and trouble liking themselves.

The fact that the abstract of this book here on GoodReads is a gushing quote by Judy Blume just about sums up my experience of the book. Tee
Angela
Jul 05, 2009 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a stunning three-hundred page novel, Keegan is able to pull together the struggles of a world-class, Olympic champion swimmer. From deaths of family members at a young age, the sufferings of a Christian school, the stressful training brought on by an elite coach, Philomena Ash kicks through her life like a dolphin accidentally born human. She is charismatic, spirited, and intelligent, bound for great successes regardless of her families seemingly unsolvable problems. As a no-name Kansan, Pip, ...more
Allison
The first two-thirds of this book were right on the mark: it's a book about swimming, family dynamics, and growing up. We follow the main character, Pip, through her childhood and adolescence as she deals with her sister's debilitating illness and depression, her mother's agoraphobia, and her father's virtual withdrawal from the family by catapulting herself into the world of competitive swimming.

Having been a swimmer myself, I found the various passages describing swimming and the feeling of "h

Marci
Sep 08, 2009 Marci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a review of this book in Time magazine, and just knew I had to read it! It it told from the point of view of Philomena, an Olympic gold-medalist in swimming, at one point the fastest female swimmer in the world. It isn't just from her point of view, the entire book is told from her internal monologue (stream-of-consciousness, if I remember right from English class?)

The book follows her from her early years, to her young adulthood and rise as a world-class competitive swimmer. She grows up
Izzybizzy
Also eigentlich wollte ich mit dem Buch längst fertig sein. Aber schon nach kurzer Zeit stellte sich heraus, dass es nicht möglich ist, mal eben ein paar Seiten zu lesen. Wenn man das Buch zur Hand nimmt, muss man voll dabei sein, um alles zu erfassen.
Der Klappentext verrät zu diesem Buch:
"Boo, Mena, Phil oder Pip – Philomena hat eine Menge Namen und keinen leichten Stand: Ins Haus eines Fledermausforschers hineingeboren zu werden ist das eine. Dort – und noch dazu in Kansas – inmitten einer exz
Eric Gillis
Apr 20, 2014 Eric Gillis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Génial ! Un univers et une écriture d'une grande cohérence. Ai dévoré les 425 (grande) pages (et petits caractères) de ce récit en 48 heures, presque d'une traite (deux ans qu'il traîne dans la grande pile de livres à lire). Bien sûr c'est tragique, des fois burlesques, tiré par les cheveux, trop construit. La mélodie du Bonheur est très loin. La religion est proche, la campagne US aussi, loin de tout. La fuite, l'évasion en haute profondeur dans le bleu chaud et doux d'un bassin olympique, la v ...more
Elizabeth
I first read about "Swimming" in Poets and Writers magazine. Nicola Keegan was featured in the magazine's "First-Fiction Annual.” I read the opening paragraphs there and was intrigued by the voice of the character Philomena (a.ka. Pip). This was a good thing, as the whole of “Swimming” seems to take place within Pip’s head. But more on that later.

“Swimming” chronicles Pip’s rise as a swimming superstar-- over the course of the book she makes it to three Olympics and pulls in an unprecedented nu
Bethany Miller
Nicole E
Jun 02, 2015 Nicole E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book Swimming! The author Nicola Keegan has a very unique style of writing. Her use of similes were outstanding! This book is mainly about growing up, and tough family relationships. The main character Pip uses swimming to get out of her difficult family life. She overcame her frustration by channeling her energy into swimming. Overall, I really liked the book because it shows that you can overcome challenges, and turn a negative situation into a positive outcome.
Apr 17, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
This book is not about swimming, the sport. It is about swimming around in your own head as you deal with undiagnosed mental health issues.

Sure, there are a handful of pool scenes. But nothing that resembles anything written by someone who has swam.

Most of the book is comprised of Catholic guilt scenes and general reverberations from an education by nuns, followed by the revelation in the back half that she may suffer from some of the same mental health issues as her mother and together, but o
Carla
Sep 17, 2009 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a love, hate, really-love relationship with this book. The somewhat cryptic reviews grabbed my curiosity. This is definitely a unique story and it is told in a unique way. First, it is about a young girl with a complicated family life that finds swimming as her salvation. She loves to swim and it ultimately saves (and then, perhaps, fails) her. Then, the focus of the uniqueness of this novel is that the story is told from the perspective of the adolescent girl, Philomena=Pip, as she is agi ...more
Christy
Apr 21, 2011 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christy by: Random House newsletter
“I’m going to live each day as though it contains meaning.” This is what sustains 12-time Olympic gold medalist swimmer Philomena Ash. When she’s a teenager, she loses her older sister and her father in a short time. In order to cope, Pip (ironic nickname due to her 6’ 2” height) throws herself into swimming while her family collapses around her. In a largely dysfunctional family, swimming is her only reprieve. Keegan delves into a family coping with depression in their own ways, mostly through ...more
  • Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain
  • Snapped
  • Finny
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Wonderland
  • The Last Days Of The Lacuna Cabal
  • Where I Want to Be
  • The Confessions of Edward Day
  • Dancing in Red Shoes Will Kill You

“All human beings go through a period where they are assholes, except for the fake ones who are assholes full-time.” 2 likes
“<...> the world says a lot of things, and if you listen without choosing, you become the one you hear the most.” 1 likes