Anno's Journey

Anno's Journey (Anno's Journey #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A pictorial journey through the traditional countryside, farms, and towns of northern Europe takes readers past familiar storybook characters, visual jokes and puzzles, tricks of perspective, and other surprises.
Published August 4th 1997 by Puffin (first published 1977)

Lisa Vegan
Dec 20, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody in the world, no matter whether or not they can read or what language(s) they can read
This book is amazing, outstanding, and its pictures and storytelling via those illustrations are exquisitely done; they’re just beautiful. I need to reread this over and over and over. I might have to get a copy for myself someday. I’ve never been to Europe but there are a lot of clues are about the various locations in the story. I thought that I was being incredibly observant but in the notes at the end, I see I missed so much, so much. I can’t say enough good things about this book and I’m so...more
Ronyell
At first when I read this book, I was sort of bored with the illustrations, but now reading it a few more times, I found myself liking this book! “Anno’s Journey” is a wordless picture by Mitsumasa Anno, which shows the author exploring Northern Europe and marveling at its beauty. “Anno’s Journey” is a great book for anyone who wants to see Northern Europe through a picture book!

I never would have thought that I would be interested in reading (or looking at) a picture book that gives us a close...more
Kathryn
Overall, I enjoyed Anno's Journey and I really appreciated it more after I read the author's note and realized all the things he added, but for me it wasn't really a WOW book or anything that especially touched me. I thought it was interesting that Anno never got off his horse. I suppose part of it is that it was always easy to spot him that way, but I wondered if he mightn't have accomplished the same thing by wearing a more unique outfit or something (ala Waldo). It was just odd to me that he...more
Crystal Marcos
Jan 23, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wordless picture book lovers, visual challenge lovers
This is was my last read for this month's Children's Picture Book Club wordless selections found here:http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...
My daughter and I read this one together. I managed to keep her attention by calling out things like "Anno, Anno where are you?" The illustration and color choices were too busy for her and sometimes myself. I had trouble finding Anno on a couple of pages. I did enjoy the story and the author note at the end of the book was a nice touch. I didn't find ever...more
Isaac D'Souza
Anno's Journey is a lovely portrait of rural Europe. I love the scenery, it's never too young. It uses your imgination well.
Dolly
Aug 15, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A wordless picture book that is busy with activities, buildings and people. The fun is in finding some of the unusual items (like scenes from famous paintings or odd characters from books - or even Sesame street) as well as seeing the subtle changes in the items as you peruse through the pages. It's a fun book to play "I spy" with children.

This book was selected as one of the January 2011 - Wordless Picture Book reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Cheryl in CC NV
May 15, 2012 Cheryl in CC NV marked it as skimmed-reference-dnf
Yes I know it's just a wordless picture-book. Still, one would need to spend time looking at all the detail in the pictures - and after a page or two I was tuckered out. Maybe my eyes are too old. I did read the note at the end and then went back and found a few of the 'hidden objects' but still, I don't think it was worth my time.
Kirei
This is a wordless book. It is a bird's eye view of a trip from the sea to a small European city.
Fjóla
As is the case with so many wordless books, this one calls for repeated "readings". I liked to study the details, try to imagine through where the rider was traveling. In particular I liked how some things repeated themselves through the book but in different form/shape: landscapes, groups of people, children. My 4 1/2 year old was pretty drawn into this book as well. We might seek out Anno's other "travel" books: Spain, Britain, U.S.A, Italy ...
Mae
a) This record of the author's journey through Europe is lovingly rendered in pen and ink and watercolor. Anno arrives, trades for a horse, and then wanders through wine-making, a race, a circus, a parade, a picnic in the park, a market, and a parade. In each double-page spread, we need to find Anno in a vaguely Where's Waldo-ish way.
b) This book is hilarious. At first, I was annoyed by trying to find Anno in each illustration; but, as I looked - I noticed the very funny visual jokes throughout...more
Nicole
This wordless picture book depicts a traveler passing through the countrysides and towns of Europe. Along the way he is surrounded by scenes from famous works of art and literature as well as many other humorous events.

Audience
Since it is wordless, any age could enjoy looking at it. Starting with pre-K, children may be able to search for the more familiar scenes (e.g. Pied Piper of Hamlin, Red Riding Hood), while middle school through adults could seek the more detailed references (e.g. Don Qui...more
Tati Dengo
Didn't know what to expect when I picked this book up. The word "Journey" made me wonder if it was just a typical warrior goes on an odyssey type deal.

But it is so, so much more than that.

Anno's Journey is akin to "Where's Waldo?" and Richard Scarry's illustrations, in that you have to pay close attention to all the tiny details, and discover the story within the story. It's not just Anno's Journey, it's a day in the life of all the people in the environments surrounding the road he travels thr...more
Hannah Grippo
Can look at for hours and hours. The book has no words, but Anno brings so much through small images. A man rows to shore from God knows where, rents a horse and goes on a journey. We see thousands of worlds around...open fields, busy streets, farms, castles, races, market places. Hundreds of people doing something like visiting graves, breaking out of jail, washing clothes, courting, playing games, leading cows, fixing roofs. Anno puts many famous paintings and stories hidden in his pictures......more
Kathryn
This is a book where time—Middle Ages, modern day, Renaissance—and space—England, France, Spain, Italy, even America—meet. Belgium surrealist painter René Magritte would have loved Anno. Everything is happening at once, but the journey keeps moving forward. I'd love to figure out how to do with so seamlessly with only words instead of only images.
Kristen
This is likely my favorite book that reads without text. It is much shorter than Shaun Tan's "The Arrival," and it is rendered in watercolor. From what appears to be intricate pen work over layers of watercolor, meticulous mark-making strokes blanket the entire book leaving very minimal white space. The imagery covers various landscape settings from Europe. Simple gestures suggest activities taking place all over the composition of each page. In a sense, this is similar to "Where's Waldo" becaus...more
Linda
A journey without narration from the edge of the European coastline to the city and back.

Each double page holds so many little discoveries that it was just such fun searching through it all. Then when I saw the Impressionist corner with Seurat's 'Bathers at Asnières' and 'Sunday Afternoon' I just laughed out loud. Well done Anno!

Then I had a double-take with the giant turnip and everyone trying to pull it out of the ground - I'd forgotten that story from my childhood, but I recognised it immedia...more
Apr 08, 2012 Laura added it
Shelves: edsl-520
Anno, Mitsumasa. Anno's Journey. (1977)

Annotation: This is a wordless picture book that show a man who comes to this new land by boat and then takes a journey through this new land on a horse. As the story continues the man stays on this horse as he travels from place to place seeing new and exciting things.

Themes: traveling, search, allusions

Ways to use with children: For younger children, you can have them tell you what Anno finds on each page in his journey and talk about the different events...more
Stephanie
I loved this picture book! I even put it on my "must own list". This little book has so much potential! I can see starting this book with a child and needing to stop after a couple pages, so that you can get to bed.

The illustrations are great! Each page has Anno entering the page and the rest of the page is full, and I mean full of activity! It is great. You could rewrite the story differently each time you and your young reader started the book.

I can't sing my praise loud enough for this litt...more
Jason Beyer
Interesting as a precursor to Where's Waldo but to me it seems rather dated. Not that that is inherently bad but I don't think a lot of kids today will get it. It would help if the description of the book was in the front instead of in the back so you would know what to look for before hand. Instead I studied the pictures looking for a story and never found one and then read in the back that there isn't really one to be found. The illustrations are nice though and hunting through them as the aut...more
Tammy
I was glad when Anno got back to the country. :)
Paul
As the explorer arrives in Europe in a rowboat and wanders through the countryside, villages and cities by horseback, we explore with him. Anno has packed some of his drawings so densely with intimate scenes of everyday life, small enough to make us peer closely, that I was anxious I was going to overlook and miss something important. His draftsman's skill, use of cultural signposts like well-known paintings, artists, musicians and stories, and playfulness make this a rich experience that teases...more
Deborah
A wordless picture book detailing the author/illustrator's own journey through Europe. An afterword notest hat Anno included details from paintings by famous artists, characters from Sesame Street, folktailes, and other fun tidbits.

The illustrations are intricate and beautifully rendered. As a child I would have spent a lot of time looking at each spread imagining I was a character in the picture, creating a whole background and story about it.

Grades K-3.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
This is an really interesting book wich my sister got when the local library was cleaning among their shelves when we were in our early teens.

A book with only pictures yes but as you follow the journey you notice all these funny and strange little details. Like for example on one spread a family is moving and some pages further ahead they have arrived at their new home.

Its magic cant really be fully explained unless youve read it yourself.
Hafidha
A wordless book. Each page is full of life, characters, action. I saw this book at a friend's house and will definitely be buying it (and others by the author) for my baby when she is a little older. I'm thinking they'll make a good 2nd or 3rd birthday present. I vaguely remember these books as a child, but had forgotten all about them.
Kyrie
I liked this tale without words, because the story is whatever one wants it to be.

I loved the various references to famous people, places, stories and paintings.

I think I saw everything from Beethoven to references to Sesame Street characters.
Rachel
This time Anno's journey is through a city. You see all the different aspects to a city. Children would be able to relate the pictures to scenes from their own town and could get their imagination started for drawings of their own.
Kat
Elegant and labyrinthine look at reality through wonder! My son just adored this book - we spent so much time looking and looking, commenting and wondering. A wonderful investment for a child.
alyssa carver
this is may favorite book without words. i still find it as captivating as i did when i was a kid. i hope that when i have kids, there will still be books like this around.
What's The Name o...: Proto-Where's Waldo book [s] 5 121 Jan 02, 2012 05:56PM
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • The Three Robbers
  • Linnea in Monet's Garden
  • Clown
  • My Place
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • That Pesky Rat
  • Feelings
72077
Mitsumasa Anno (born March 20, 1926) is a Japanese illustrator and writer of children's books, known best for picture books with few or no words. He received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1984 for his "lasting contribution to children's literature".

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Mitsumasa Anno...
Anno's Counting Book Anno's Magic Seeds Anno's U.S.A. Anno's Alphabet Anno's Math Games